Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Question Neck Cooler Things?

What are they?

Do they work?

If you've gotten some, where did you find them?

Both DS and I tend to suffer bad headaches if we get too hot and these were suggested to me to try since we'll be going to FL in July 08 and
Sept. 08.

Any info you can give us will be much appreciated.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
jagafen
Robo needs his own Bat-Light

I've seen them at Walmart for around $4. I bought mine on Ebay (search NEck Coolers)...I found a lady that makes them herself and sells them for $1 each...I think she lives in AZ if I'm not mistaken.

Previous Trips: 1989 Contemporary, 2008 AKL, 2008 2fer ASMo, 2010 Da Return to AKL
Our family:
Me, the planner
Hubby, the goer and doer
Our son, the reason we do it all
jagafen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
bubba
Mouseketeer

I got mine on Ebay. I can't remember the name of the seller but I think they were about $4 each incl s&h. Wonderful things ! We took them to WDW two years ago and cannot imagine going without them next time. I also wore mine on a 60 km fundraising walk and I swear that was the only thing that got me through !
Old 01-16-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

I used some during the Boy Scout National Jamboree in 2005. We had 115 heat index just about every day there. They worked great. I soaked them in my cooler with ice every night and they worked great each day.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Excellent. I'm glad they work. I think I'll add them to my supply list.

DS has Boy Scout camp in June so I think I'll get them before that so he can use it there if he needs it.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Kimmumum
DIS Veteran

I bought mine on ebay and I think they are a waste of money. I thought they worked well for about an hour or so and then they were warm and heavy to carry around JMHO (we used our last July)
Disney Trips: Fort Wilderness 1977 * Off-site 1990-1999 * DisneyLand offsite 1997 * DixieLandings 2000 with sister inlaw* DisneyLand offsite 2000 * Port Orleans 2001 with cousins* Old Key West 2002 first DVC trip * Boardwalk Villas 2003 for a Disney wedding with friends and sister* DisneyLand offsite 2004 * Wilderness Lodge 2005 with friends * DisneyLand Hotel 2006 for New Years * Saratoga Springs 2006 for surprise Spring Break trip* Caribbean Beach 2007 for half marathon and New Years Eve* Saratoga Springs 2007 for a surprise 4th of July trip with friends * Boardwalk for the Goofy Marathon and a Half 2008 (first trip without the kids) * DH trip to Disneyland for half marathon 2008 (without family) * Boardwalk for Marathon 2009* Saratoga Springs for girls weekend March 2009* Surprise trip to Saratoga Springs in June 2009* Saratoga Springs (MLK weekend/arrived on D's birthday) January 2010* Old Key West (J and K run the Expedition Everest 5K) June 2010 * Bay Lake Tower April 2011 Spring Break (A in Spain and Italy) * Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2011 (National football Champions) * Old Key West February 2012 (Leap Day) * Old Key West 4th of July 2012 * Wilderness Lodge September 2012 (Austin's bday) * Bay Lake Tower/Old Key West New Years Eve December 2012 * Old Key West for Spring Break 2013 w/Megan * Animal Kingdom Lodge/Old Key West for Food and Wine w/Greg and JuliA September 2013 * Wilderness Lodge for Dopey races January 2014 * Animal Kingdom Lodge August 2014
Kimmumum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
WillCAD
Where there's a Will there's a way

They seem to work well for most people, but they have never done a darn thing for me. I'd wet them with cold water, put them on my neck as directed, and all I ever felt was a small cold spot on my neck, while the rest of me was still overheating.

I get better results from simply pouring some water into my hand and slapping it on my face, neck, and arms.

Incidentally, you can find Disney-themed versions of them at WDW. They cost more than those you'd get at WalMart, but if they work for you the Disney-themed ones are nice looking. I got mine at the World of Disney at Downtown Disney a few years ago.
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Cool

If your crafty I just found site where you can make your own
http://www.p2designs.com/ShipCooler.htm. Stay cool!
tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
justcantwait
DIS Veteran

Just got mine at Walmart last night. We were there over the weekend and were told they were in the camping section. Well, they weren't and the employee in the camping section had no idea what we were talking about. I found them last night a couple of aisles over, near the, ummm, "athletic supporters" They were $3.97 each and they had 4 or 5 different patterns. DH has used them in the past when he worked a job outside in the heat. He loved them. Hope they're going to be as kind to us 9 days from now HTH

Kathy
Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
carelady
Earning My Ears

Dear justcantwait. It would be interesting to hear how the ones that you purchased from Wal-Mart works. I have heard that they feel slimy. There are several people selling them. I had purchased some from the woman from AZ off of eBay, and I just didn't like the way that they were sewn up, and they were on the short side. I found some on a website and am happy with them.
carelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
RichieTruxillo
Writing Prescriptions for Disney Vacations

I've always wondered about these things. I might buy one just for the heck of it and see how they work, since it is over 100 degrees here today
RichieTruxillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
LSU
Mouseketeer

I've gotten mine at wmart camping section for only about $2 each. The trick is to keep them in ICE WATER until ready to use. Bring them in a ziploc with water and ice and use them when needed. When they get hot - get a refill of ice and water in your ziploc from any food joint and stick them back in for a while.
LSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
JohnH
Earning My Ears

Home made coolers

This is plagerized from another site, but you can buy some cloth at Wal Mart, and then go to the garden center and pick up a bottle of Water Crystals (Water absorbing polymer crystals that gardeners use to hold water for their plants) for around $8. They should be in a blue bottle.

Now you can make as many as you want, and in whatever colors you like.
5/93 -Offsite
5/94 -Offsite
6/96 Offsite res. bombed-ASMu &Sp
6/98 -ASSp
5/00 -ASSp
5/03 -ASMu
8/08 -Caribbean Beach with NEW wife
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
savs
Mouseketeer

We found the ones from Walmart to be very Slimy.

If you can get these from somewhere other then there and they don't turn slimy, I think they would work great.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Calie71
Earning My Ears

You can usually find someone making them at craft fairs. Is all they are is the gel stuff you puff up and use in plants. I don't care for them they feel cool at first, but they start to feel slimy. Good luck we where just there in May and it was hot and humid, I took a wet and dry wash rag everday with us to wipe off with that seems to help alot.
Calie71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: