Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

DirectTV subscribers - how much do you pay per month total?

So we are thinking of ditching Comcast cable soon and DirectTV seems to be the best alternative. How much do you pay per month for your DirectTV total - after taxes and fees and all that - and which options do you get? (HD, HBO, extra movies packages, etc.)

We don't need HD and we wouldn't get the HBO/Stars/extra movie channels type things, just the basic or one step up (whatever gives me NFL network! ).
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
mickeyfan2
DIS Veteran

I posted this on the other thread too.

We just got DirectTV installed on 12/26/07. This is what we pay with taxes and the rebates we got.

1) One HD DVR - $199 + 6% tax
2) Deposit - $19 (depends on your credit rating. Not sure if this is the lowest or if $0 was possible) + 6% tax
3) 2 year contract
4) $76.xx/month including tax - $69.99/month without tax
5) Only one TV hooked up.
6) Payment to our credit card. Got a $50 VISA gift card for doing this.
7) For the next 12 months we get a $20/month rebate. This offsets the cost of the deposit plus HD DVR cost.
8) Three months of all premium channels for free. We will drop them in three months.
9) HD channels. Far superior to our cable's HD channels.
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
PolyGuy
Mouseketeer

We have been loyal Directv subscribers for almost 5 years now. We have a package that is actually not even available anymore. Its basic plus all the sports, cartoons, and entertainment channels. No HBO or anything like that. We have 3 DVR boxes, and they do charge extra each month for each ($5?).

Our bill is just under $65 per month.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Conway733
DIS Veteran

Our bill is $65 per month and we've been subscribers for about 4 years now. We have two tvs and one dvr. We have the basic package plus local channels...the NFL network comes with the basic package...at least it does for us, we do not pay extra for it. This is also way less expensive than cable around here.
Conway733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
jckdisneybound
Pride Runs Deep

We just switched. My first bill was $68, when I ordered it I ordered a second DVR box for $106 after tax. I got the first one free. So the $68 includes DVR for the extra tv.
August 2007 - SOG
Dec 2006 - POP cancelled
Sept 2005 - SOG
May 2005 - SOG
Oct 2004 - SOG (cancelled )
Oct 2003 - AKL
Oct 1997 - SOG
jckdisneybound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyGuy View Post
We have been loyal Directv subscribers for almost 5 years now. We have a package that is actually not even available anymore. Its basic plus all the sports, cartoons, and entertainment channels. No HBO or anything like that. We have 3 DVR boxes, and they do charge extra each month for each ($5?).

Our bill is just under $65 per month.
I think we have the same package, or something very similar. We also get Starz & HBO ($23/month). We have a DVR/Tivo and 2 additional receivers.

Our bottom line is never the same because I call periodically and ask for specials for existing customers. I either get $$ off my bill, or one of the movie channels free for some months.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Anyone with DircTv HD notice that their HDNET package, which used to be included with HDTV is now going to be charged (I think) $5 extra a month in a month or so.

When I signed up there was no extra fee for these channels, so I made a stink and they credited me for the extra money that they are going to charge.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

We got DirecTV In July. We have 2 DVR's and one normal receiver. We paid $100 for the second DVR, the first DVR was free. We also lease the normal receiver and the "free" DVR. So 2 lease fees of 4.95 per month.

We have the highest package (premier).

We have a bunch of rebates on our bill and a discount because we have bellsouth as our home phone.

My rebated and discounted bill comes out to $99.26 a month.

The actual bill without all the discounts is close to $130.25
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

We were directv customers for over 5 years and we went to Verizon Fios. We were unhappy with Fios, and got some literature from Directv. We just switched back to Directv.

We have two DVR's.
One HD Tv, and one non HD tv.
3 months of HBo, Encore, Showtime
Free install, free 2nd DVR
Got a $10 off rebate

Bill is about $60
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Anyone with DircTv HD notice that their HDNET package, which used to be included with HDTV is now going to be charged (I think) $5 extra a month in a month or so.

When I signed up there was no extra fee for these channels, so I made a stink and they credited me for the extra money that they are going to charge.
Thanks! I will tell DH to do that.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Thanks for the replies everyone. We'd only have one TV hooked up, no HD, probably a DVR (with the savings compared to Comcast, why not!?) and none of the fancy movie packages. Sounds like we could probably get a pretty good deal, have more channels, better service, a DVR, and still save money over Comcast - plus we could upgrade to HD for cheaper down the road as well (maybe next Christmas).
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
mickeyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. We'd only have one TV hooked up, no HD, probably a DVR (with the savings compared to Comcast, why not!?) and none of the fancy movie packages. Sounds like we could probably get a pretty good deal, have more channels, better service, a DVR, and still save money over Comcast - plus we could upgrade to HD for cheaper down the road as well (maybe next Christmas).
We had Comcast before we switched. The catalyst was that our bill was raise to $98 with tax. So even without all of the other deals we got we are saving $21/month for the next two years. Also Comcast was always creeping our bill up about a $1 per month. So in our two year contract time we will have saved $504 and any additional increases. The DirectTV HD DVR blows away the Comcast HD DVR that we had (it was only 6 months old). The DirecTV has 5x as many HD stations as did Comcast. So far we are extremely pleased with our decision to move.
mickeyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

This is a great thread. I obviously need to call and get some kind of new deal.

We have the Plus package (no longer called that and costs a little more $$) with two recievers, no HD or DVR.

Ours is $60 per month with taxes and stuff.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
WeLuvTink!
DIS Veteran

We have Dish Network (and love it) but I did find what appears to be a good AAA discount for new and current DirecTV customers on AAA's website.

"At DIRECTV, AAA Members receive a $10 credit on their monthly bills for 24 months, a free HD receiver or DVR upgrade and free installation when they become new subscribers. AAA Member benefits are in addition to nationally advertised offers at the time of subscription.

Existing customers can qualify for a $50 rebate once a year for two years.

The offer is only available by calling:
800-242-9114.

To qualify for the discount, please provide the DIRECTV Representative with the first six digits from your membership card."

Like I said, I don't have DirecTV, so I don't know if this works for everyone like it seems or not. Also, we live in Illinois and I'm not 100% sure this works for the whole country. Heck, that discount is big enough to get AAA even if you aren't a member now. Let me know if this helps anyone.
WeLuvTink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
pbharris4
DIS Veteran

We've had Directv since Feb. 2001 back when you had to buy all the equipment too..no 4 free room packages or anything like that. We've got 5 tv's, 2 with DVR/Tivos on them, 2 with reg. receivers, and 1 new (we had to lease this) HD DVR. We subscribe to the Total Choice (if that's still what it's called) and local channels and did the Movies/NFL package for 3 months (will cancel) and we pay $86/month. It should go down once we cancel that.
pbharris4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: