Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
ekmom
Mouseketeer

Best driving route from Michigan?

We have driven from metro Detroit twice before and have always taken I-75. In early March we are going again but this time we are have to detour to Michigan State (Go Spartans!) to pick up our 2 college kids. If you use mapquest and enter Okemos (where DD has her apartment) as the starting point, it routes you down US-23 and then you pick up I-75 around Toledo. But if you start enter Lansing as your starting point you get a routing involving I-69, I-465, I-65, I-24, and then you finally pick up I-75 around Chattanooga.

I'm inclined to do the US-23/I-75 route because we would have to get to the other side of Lansing to do the other route, but I guess it would be worth it if there is some advantage to that route.

Any opinions? BTW, we will be driving starting around noon on a Friday, stopping over around Chattanooga and then finishing on Saturday.
ekmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Rose23
Epcot Fan

Hi, Michigan Mom!

It is pretty much going to matter on your choice. Either route you will probably be going near a few big cities. At the time you are leaving you are looking at going through some of them during rush hour which could be ugly! Indianapolis, Nashville area will be a nightmare but so will Cincinnati, Lexington and Knoxville if you go I-75. We drive from Columbus, Ohio (I use to live in Detroit), but we take a few state routes to I-77 into Columbia, SC and then an adjoining interstate to I-95 into Central Florida. We use to take I-71 to I-75 but we lost major time in those big cities I mentioned (Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville and Chattanooga).

Another thing to consider is terrain and gasoline prices. We did notice that we used more gasoline taking the more mountain and hilly routes than the flat lands. I-77 is hilly just through part of West Virginia and northern Virginia but the rest of the drive is flat which is better on gasoline and the car. These days $3 a gallon factors into every equation. You will have a couple of states worth of mountains and hills on I-75 for sure. I do not know the terrain on I-65 or I-24. May be worth looking into and also the average gasoline prices for each route. In March (around spring break time) I would assume that the gasoline prices will be even higher.

Have a great time with your family.

Go Blue and Go Spartans!
Rose23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

We have gone both ways multiple times, and there is not much difference time wise. What makes the biggest difference is being away from any of the major cities during am and pm rush hours. Hitting any of the big ones during rush hour means long waits and lots of crazy traffic.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Give www.randmcnally.com a try and see what routings it gives. Mapquest doesn't know everything!

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
cbrfan
DIS Veteran

Leaving from Okemos I think I would jump on I-96 and take that to US-23 . Then follow US-23 toward Toledo to get to I-75. We usually stop to eat and refuel before reaching the major cities if it looks like we'll be hitting them at rush hour.
cbrfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: