Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
mommy2savannah
Mouseketeer

Is Disney Movie Club worth it?

Anyone here a member of the Disney movie club? I was thinking of joining since we usually buy a few disney movies every year for dd4. Are there any hidden fees and will I really be saving $$ if I join? TIA
mommy2savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
tadamom
DIS Veteran

I'm curious to find out about this b/c between me and my MIL, our kids are always getting Disney movies throught the year.
June 2004 - Michael's 1st trip to Disney World -- Old Key West May 2007 - Parker's 1st trip to Disney World -- Pop Century & 4 nights @ SSR Grand Villa October 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort with the whole fam! October 2010 - All Star Movies --1st family trip with just the 4 of us!!! Awesome!
September 2012 - All Star Sports w/the whole family! B'day trip for Michael!
[COLOR="Lime"]November 2013 - Coronado Springs! B'day trip for Parker![/COLORMarch 2014 - 1 night at Pop Century for SIL's Disney wedding!

tadamom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
littleelvis
DIS Veteran

Here is how it works out:

You have to buy 5 movies at club prices in order to receive the 3 for $1.99/each

$1.99 for 3 movies for joining = $6.00
$14.95 club special price plus $3.95 shipping = $18.85
$9.95 club special price plus $1.00 shipping = $10.95

Then 3 more movies at a minimum of $19.95 each plus shipping.

So for 8 movies you would pay about $110.00. If you figure each movie would cost you $20 in the store you would save about $50. Where they can get you (i know because they got us a couple times) is they send you a featured selection every month. If you don't send it back within a certain timeframe you have to pay full price for it.

My recommendation is if you join then fulfill you membership obligation immed. and cancel it so you don't have to worry about it. Most of the movies can be found in store for less then the $19.95 price they charge anyway
DD (8)
DS (6)

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejardo de las puertas.
littleelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Where they can get you (i know because they got us a couple times) is they send you a featured selection every month. If you don't send it back within a certain timeframe you have to pay full price for it.
But you can go online to your account and tell them yes or no on that movie. It's only if you do NOT tell them that they send it (except I've read of one or two people where they replied "no" and it was sent anyway).

Each time but once I've say "no" and they haven't sent anything. The one time I say "yes and another thing too" everything went fine, and we got our movies in time for Yule.

I still have 3 more movie purchases to go.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
blana
DIS Veteran

I'd say the biggest issue is the shipping costs, but there ARE times where you can get free shipping if you order 2 movies. So, after you get the initial shipment, you should probably WAIT to fulfill your commitment until the free shipping periods if you can.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

I've "done" the DMC twice, and it was worth it to me both times. I fulfilled the minimum requirement for purchases, made sure to decline the selection each month (unless I wanted it of course), and cancelled as soon as I was done. I like it because they have some titles there that I couldn't get elsewhere! I think I've got everything in my collection that I want now, so I doubt I'll join again. When new releases come out it's cheaper to just get them at Target or wherever that first week when they're on sale.
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
mom2allison01
Mouseketeer

I am a movie club member and have been long past fulfilling my committment. The committment process for me was two years, so I found that the best value was to wait till a movie was the movie of the month and I would purchase the double feature (for example, movie of the month in December one year was Santa Clause 2 and the bonus was Santa CLause 1). Both movies would be 34.95 with free shipping. This worked out to be a little more than $17 a movie, which was comparable (or cheaper to in store purchase). Only the first movie would go towards my committment (movie must be $19.95 or higher). But over the course of two years, doing this 5 times, my committment was fulfilled. I have chosen to maintain my membership because you are given VIP status upon committment completion and VIP are given some extra perks. This past C'mas all movies were 50% off for VIP members. I think I got something like 15 movies and paid $110. A great deal for hard to find titles! Hope this helps you with your decision!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
llori7
DIS Veteran

I also belonged. I liked it. The only thing, I ended up getting sent 2 of the feature titles. I thought I declined them online, but they said I didn't. I could have sent them back, but I just kept them. I just canceled my membership, but I intend to do it again, in the near future. The shipping is expensive 3.95 for first movie then 1.00 for each additional. So next time, I am just going to fulfill my obligation in one shipping package to save on some money. Then I will cancel my membership so I am not sent any extra movies.
llori7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
mommy2savannah
Mouseketeer

Thanks! After reading the replies I think it seems worth it. I will sign up today.
mommy2savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
druidcat
Mouseketeer

I'm glad to read this because we just joined this weekend We're trying to switch over our gazillion vhs tapes to dvd...gotta get the two-year-old up on the disney characters for our trip
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
treboats
Mouseketeer

I found a code that gave me 5 free and I paid $14.95 for one my total was $15.95 for 6 movies and I only have to buy 4 over the next two years. I jsut did it last week.
treboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
BellyBaby
I swear Walt had OCD, too!

Any Cdn Disney Movie Club Membrs Out There?

Any Canadians who belong to the Disney Movie Club? The club DOES work out cheaper when buying all that you can upfront, but I wonder what "regular" price is on average for a good movie. They say reg. price starts at $19.99, but that could be for some sing-along type video for all I know. I'm wondering what their price is for a classic movie, like Lady & the Tramp, Toy Story, and such. I wonder if that's where they getcha!

Thanks and Happy Canada Day!!
BellyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

For your specific examples, but in US dollars...

Toy Story: 10th Anniversary Edition is $21.95

Uh oh, I don't see Lady and the Tramp. googled...Looks like that movie went back into the "Disney vault" in 2006, so you can't get it at all from Disney.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
blana
DIS Veteran

From what I've seen, the Sing-Alongs, and that style, are much cheeper than the $19.99, BUT, they don't count towards your total purchase commitment unless you buy them in the initial purchase. Does that make sense? Only the higher dollar movies count towards the purchase commitment.

That said, there's now a link off of Ebates for the Disney Movie Club for $11 back. http://www.ebates.com/search/all.htm...ney+Movie+Club I haven't tried it yet, but, hey, an extra $11 would really make the club worthwhile!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
VanessasMom
Disney Bound!

I don't know about where you live, but there are tons of Disney movies that are like brand new at our Goodwill store here for $1.99. That's how we buy them. Alot of times we find them at garage sales extra cheap too.

OKW DVC Owner since 2010
VanessasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: