Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #46
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

What an old curmudgeon that guy was. Hmpphh. Doesn't he know you are a friendly DISer?!

How did you do with the patch? I think they work very well for motion sickness (and hangovers), but I found that they left my mouth intolerably dry, and I couldn't suck down enough water. Also, since I have a habit of pushing my hair behind my ears and then rubbing my eyes, my pupils dilated to the size of dimes and I couldn't see squat!

Agree with you about the Disney cruise pricing! Mike and I would've canceled had they not made our deposit non-refundable. They are quite expensive!

Upload those water camera pics! Can't wait to see them!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #47
Laurabearz
I cant load my bobbin!
three kids keep me hopping
I was Grunge before Grunge was Grunge

Hot for Danny DeVito!

Location: 4.53 miles from PatrickIL' s house (would rather live by Universal to see if the Mummy ride will be open before May 21st!)

Great Report! Cant wait to read the rest of it AND see those underwater Camera shots!
1/02 OKW 4/02 Offsite 5/02 BC/Poly 8/02 The Plaza NYC 9/02 BWV/RPR 10/02 HHI GV 12/02 OKW 9/03 VWL 11/03 BWV2/04 OKW/VB5/04 BWV/HRH6/04 HHI 10/04 BCV1/05 OKW 6/05 HHI 9/05 CR/Wonder 12/05 HRH/BWV 5/06 DLR 6/06 BWV 7/06 HHI 10/06 BWV/HRH 11/06OKW/RPR4/07 SSR 7/07 HHI 10/07 OKW/Magic/VWL 12/07 OKW 6/08 DLH 8/08 OKW/HRH10/08 BWV/RPR11/08 OKW/POP2/09 YC/RPR3/09 SSR 6/09 HHI 8/09 RPR/AKVJ/BWV/ASMo10/09 RPR2/10 FWCabins 4/10 BWV08/10 RPR/OKW10/10 BWV1/11 SSR 1/11BCV6/11 RPR/BCV11/11 BCV/AKJSAV 1/12 AKJSAV
On the Horizon HHI 6/12

Universal Orlando is Disney's Best Kept Secret!
Laurabearz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #48
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

dh has promised this weekend for the pics

jodie - only problem with the patch was when i tried to "stretch" on of them over three days...got a rash to reward my cheapness

didn't have a problem with motion sickness until i got a virus of some sort & woke up unable to stay upright; slamming into walls . Went to ER; they told me i had vertigo related to said virus; evidently was running rampant thru Pittsburgh area. Some drugs & all was well; until i tried to ride a "spin-ny type" amusement ride, heights makes me woozy too now...patch takes care of all of that for me. Didn't notice a dry mouth...i tend to drink alot any way lol.

i'm thinking of the cat in Shrek w/those big peepers

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #49
wwessing
Proud Redhead
Would you have any idea of where I might peruse a menu
He has very fond memories of it

Location: Downstate Illinois. . . . not many people know, but just outside of Chicago there's a whole state called Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
a real turn the other cheek sorta guy, rises above the fray;

I got one of those too
Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #50
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Pic from Grand Cayman!

As promised here they are:

1st Stop - Coral Gardens

First snorkeling stop was in the Coral Gardens area. The day had turned to heavy overcast & windy, high 60's; yet the water was warm. As mentioned earlier our guide was very helpful & eager to please. Our small group consisted of only us from the Carnival Legend. The rest of our group were 2 woman retirees on a land vacation and 3 groups (single parent mums & their kiddos from DCL cruise). Two pleasant teens were in the one group; the other had hellions . Would guess their age to be 8? Kept running around the boat screaming & sitting up forward on the bow. The water was choppy; guide kept asking nicely for the kids to sit in the seats; the mothers just ignored him. Figured they must be seasoned water dogs....NOPE.

There were life vests for those who wanted to utilize, good for floating & taking pics. The kids starting screaming as soon as the mothers tried to put them in the water; evidently, couldn't swim. It continued the entire stop with the mums ranting how their "...vacations were ruined". The photographer offered to stay aboard & watch them while the mom's snorkeled. We swam as far away as we could so as not to hear their wails.

coral on a rock & fishies

more

these weren't the domesticated ones that we met later @ Stingray point; were told to keep our distance as they could get cranky

thankfully, they kept on the bottom & we stayed near water surface

this one was bigger than the others who were all about 2 feet across; he kept coming up higher near the surface; time to head back to the boat lol

Last edited by keishashadow; 01-14-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #51
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

2nd Stop Stingrays

back onboard for another 10 min ride to interact with the Rays

was hoping to get lots of "face time"; based on reviews of booking with this operator (Nativeway); we were @ the site for approx 40 mins

Guide found just the right spot (shallow for the younger kids-who still refused to get off the boat & continued whining; holed up on lower deck in the head lol ) Glad he did; noticed several of the other groups were neck high.

This is their tail & stinger - do not grab or touch "gotcha chief" Made sure to do the stingray shuffle to avoid stepping on them & startling them; risking an incident.

such an experience; they are domesticated (to a point) where they starting hanging around when the fishing boats cleaned their catch. Over the years, the locals started to interact and had the idea of transporting tourists out.

I cannot describe how many Rays were in the area; when the boat pulled in you could see a wave of darkness off the boat. I thought it was a reef until it moved.

On the order of going into a petting zoo & being mobbed lol; way cooler though. They are gentle and incredibly soft. we had fed & snorkeled @ Castaway Cay; cannot compare the two experiences. would say DCLs would be better for squeamish children

photo ops galore! DS holding one, they swim right up to you and luv to swim past you & nuzzle

They give great back massages

check out his underbelly, looks to be smiling lol

Last, but not least; puckering up for that big wet kiss...7 years' good luck baby

DH said it was bad enough to post a pic of his beer belly, promised not to put up the actual deed (here he is swooping in lol)

btw, check out the throngs in the background; way too many peeps to have much time with the Rays

Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #52
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

3rd Stop; Barrier Reef & Starfish

a 15 minute boat ride out further into the ocean & we moored near the barrier reef

could see the water was deeper here, although still clear & you could see the bottoom (approx 20 -30 ft deep).

The guide went down 1st to make sure there weren't any sharks in the area and brought up starfish for us to examine; then we were good to go

When we got the go ahead I was very confident thinking i'd play jacque c osteau - HA!

We were on the shallow side of the barrier reef; you could see where the deep water began on the other side. I consider myself to be a good swimmer; was shocked by the undertow & strong current. About all i could do to keep being sucked out to the deep water in the breaks of the coral/reef. Was able to swim over about 50 yards to an area full of moray eels; shot didn't come out though - nuts. Way bigger than I thought, about a foot in height (skinny though) and long - about 7 feet. We were offered a chance to hold him (passed lol).

DH & DS followed the guide over across the reef into the deep water; planning to circle back to the boat. Glad DS had flotation device on at this point. I doubled back and dived down to the reef area near the boat.

Fascinating as to how much marine life darted in and out of it...a critter condo of sorts

a couple stingrays were milling about here too

got some nerve & swan over the reef (just a bit )

soon time to leave; the guide kept apologizing that he wished we had more time. I was shivering at this point, glad i had a beach towel. off to Rum Point for grub.

This is on our short list to do again!

Last edited by keishashadow; 01-14-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #53
bubba's mom
Proud Redhead
DIS Cast Member
The Tag Fairy knows you as more than just "Wife of Eric Roberts--XM Spy"

where's Nemo
bubba's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #54
loribell
Proud Redhead
Started watching them play when I was little
Wouldn't the sugars from the ice cream be better used early in the day instead of late in the evening?

It looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #55
Sharon G
Proud Redhead
Wish me luck!

I'm not sure I would want to get that close to the rays. They are huge! Are they slimey? Looks like you picked the right tourboat!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #56
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

i think nemo was lunch for the mean looking Ray

the rays are more "velvet-like" than slimy; and surprising heavy for their size when the guides wanted us to pick them up in our arms for a photo...course that could've been because they were slippery when wet

Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #57
bubba's mom
Proud Redhead
DIS Cast Member

Talking Enjoyed ALL the water pix!!!!

I loved all your pix on the rays and such....brought back memories of our stingray snorkel when we traveled on RCI. Took a boat to an island and got to hang out in their pen. It was eatin' time...they were all around us. They do feel slimy and I can believe they are heavy. We would stand with our feet apart (a la 'stingray shuffle') and they would swim in & out of our ankles...like a cat would....and they would curl their tails up around your calves....again, like a cat. Only, THEIR tails were more prickly than a cats (think, a sharp toothed comb scratching you)... They would 'bump' into us with the force of a medium size dog...I was really surprised at their weight.....

We plan to do the rays at CC...hope Bubba don't freak
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #58
bubba's mom
Proud Redhead
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
2nd Stop Stingrays

check out his underbelly, looks to be smiling lol
That IS his face....he IS smiling!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #59
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba's mom View Post
I loved all your pix on the rays and such....brought back memories of our stingray snorkel when we traveled on RCI. Took a boat to an island and got to hang out in their pen. It was eatin' time...they were all around us. They do feel slimy and I can believe they are heavy. We would stand with our feet apart (a la 'stingray shuffle') and they would swim in & out of our ankles...like a cat would....and they would curl their tails up around your calves....again, like a cat. Only, THEIR tails were more prickly than a cats (think, a sharp toothed comb scratching you)... They would 'bump' into us with the force of a medium size dog...I was really surprised at their weight.....

We plan to do the rays at CC...hope Bubba don't freak
yep, they'd come up behind us and give us a good nudge and then keep prodding us.

funny thing, after handling the squid that they luv to eat; we were cautioned NOT to wipe our hands on our skin...evidently, they will attach themselves to you ala a leech until they are satisfied you aren't a giant squid def. could cause a freak-out if you didn't know

barb - if u do the one @ Castaway Cay my rec is to book it early. We had the 2nd one of the day & the sand was already stirred up to the point where you could barely see the bottom...this in 3-1/2 feet of water. This was back when they 1st started the tour; not sure if they've tweaked it since then.

it was sorta cold with the wind blowing so we crouched down in the water to keep warm...they swam right over our shoulders...up against our faces

while they were very calm & gentle; they were strong. DH had a loose fitting pair of board shorts on; rrom the constant nuzzling - they kept pulling his trunks down low ala plumber pants (i posted the lesser of results above lol ).

Old 01-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #60
RVGal
Proud Redhead
Just call me Elmer 'cause I'll stick with you like glue
I walked the dog in my pjs
by not watching Rosie O'Donnell, I wound up with my nether regions on fire

So, what are you saying... that those of us that post links are showoff-y?

Huh?

Is that what you're saying?

When you DON'T post, it takes me, what a week or more to remember you mentioned (briefly, with no link) that you started your Trippie.

So, going back to one of your first cruise pics... Did the sign that statue was holding say Big Black... *ahem*... Did it say what I think it said?

And then the pic of you below that with the coral looked like Little White... *ahem*... nevermind...

The CANCER SUCKS trip report
RVGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: