Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #76
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian68 View Post
Got to watch about paying large amounts on to a credit card when you don't have a balance like it. I was going to do this, but banks look at this as money laundering. Wouldn't try it.

As for using ATM, transaction fees apply like $2.50 per when you are in US.

I have a BMO MC with $10 000, so it depends on your credit history, and they aren't likely to increase it as soon as you get the card. If you mainitain good history from the time you get it, perhaps six months down the line can you ask for an increase.
i work in a bank and i can tell you that people pay large amounts in advance all the time. we have snow birds who do this because they don't want to be bothered having to make a payment while they are away for 3-6 months and do not know how much they spend.
as for the increase, if you were to call and tell them why you wanted the increase (going on a trip) they may increase it now. that is as stated above, it all depends on your credit.
tinkerone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #77
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oholly View Post
O.K. this might be a silly question but if you have a US card, how do you pay it in US funds. Do I need a US bank account??
you don't have to have a us acct but it is handier. you can purchase the us funds at the time you wish to pay the bill. you still have the advatage of not paying the 2.5 percent premiun.
i say go with a us acct. that way you can buy when its low and have it ready for use when you need it for your vacations .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #78
esdras
DIS Veteran

Here's a bit of a crazy question regarding exchanging currency for the best deal, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this...

First, what is the most economical method of exchanging currency:

Straight exchange at your bank/exchange house, etc. - call around for the rate of the day type deal and go there.
Open up a U.S. Dollar account and electronically transfer Canadian dollars into that account - later, withdraw the cash in U.S. funds from that account.

After doing the cheapest of the above options, we have the advantage of living close enough to the border that we drive into the U.S. every once and a while. We are close enough to a Disney Store to go there and purchase Disney Gift Cards.

Apparently, the Disney Gift Card can be used virtually everywhere on property except some of the "carts" - no big deal for us. Also, you can call Disney and use a Gift Card to pay off your vacation package.

So, since we are planning to go, use Magical Express and never leave Disney property while we are there (although I know we'll need a little U.S. Cash), would it make sense for us to go the Gift Card route? It seems to have the added benefit of budgeting how much you will spend - and while I realize that you can't get cash back off the card, I'm sure we could get close enough to make this worthwhile.

1973 - Poly: 1976 - Poly: 1979 - Disney's Village Resort
1980 - Offsite (not my fault, I was a kid, no choice)
1998 - Offsite (my fault, dumb!)
2006 - ASMo Free Dining (1st time with OWN kids)
2008 - ASMu Free Dining AND Family Suite!!!
2010 - POFQ Grand Gathering

Last edited by esdras; 02-07-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo
esdras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #79
realfam
Love the mouse!

we applied online for the US BMO m/c. had it within 10 days. All set for our next US holiday.
Great advice....thank you
Sept'05 Fort Wilderness for 8 days, Sept'07 MNSSHP, Sept21-29, 2007 DCL Western Cruise, Aug 18-27 First DVC trip to SSR & AKV, Oct 11, 2008 DCL Eastern Carribean on the Magic, Dec'08 SSR & OKW, Jan'09 AKL, April10-27 East Bound Transatlantic with 3 days in Barcelona
realfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #80
canadaman
Mouseketeer

Would it nor be asier to just carry cash???
Old 03-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #81
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaman View Post
Would it nor be asier to just carry cash???
easier than what? we carry cash but i'm always afraid that i may find something i want and not have enough cash. with a us mc i don't have to worry. same with renting things like cars or hotels. why carry the cash that could possibley be lost when i can carry a cc.
just my thoughts.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #82
realfam
Love the mouse!

We only carry so much cash. You never know what your gonna buy. We like having a credit card for big ticket items, and just in case of emergency.
Sept'05 Fort Wilderness for 8 days, Sept'07 MNSSHP, Sept21-29, 2007 DCL Western Cruise, Aug 18-27 First DVC trip to SSR & AKV, Oct 11, 2008 DCL Eastern Carribean on the Magic, Dec'08 SSR & OKW, Jan'09 AKL, April10-27 East Bound Transatlantic with 3 days in Barcelona
realfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #83
Skitch7
Earning My Ears

Question

I've read that several U.S. gas stations are no longer accepting payment by Canadian bank-issued credit cards.

Here's the source: i75online.com/CreditCard

Has anyone run into this issue recently? Is it just isolated to gas stations or more widespread?

Cheers...
Skitch7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #84
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch7 View Post
I've read that several U.S. gas stations are no longer accepting payment by Canadian bank-issued credit cards.

Here's the source: i75online.com/CreditCard

Has anyone run into this issue recently? Is it just isolated to gas stations or more widespread?

Cheers...
i could not get into your source artical but clarify this for me. do you mean a us cc that was issued in canada or do you mean a cc that is in canadian funds? there is no way they would be able to know where your card was issued so i don't get it. mastercards are issued from the us as are visas.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #85
Skitch7
Earning My Ears

I can't seem to post links here...

To clarify, it appears that some gas stations in the southeast US require you to enter your 5-digit zip code when paying via cc. Zip code verification used for fraud prevention I presume.
Skitch7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #86
knitdiva
Mouseketeer

yes, many gas stations at least in the Orlando aera now require you to punch in your 5 digit zip code. Know that in your rush to get back to the airport!! No zip code, you have to prepay your gas.
knitdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #87
Yzma and Kronk
I survived the Pie-fest
I broke my spleen and yaked up a lung.....and I was driving!
Not done the "other" thing yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitdiva View Post
yes, many gas stations at least in the Orlando aera now require you to punch in your 5 digit zip code. Know that in your rush to get back to the airport!! No zip code, you have to prepay your gas.
I'll second that. We ran into that last week when we were gassing up the rental to take back. If you don't know how much gas you need - they will hold your credit card (ummm, I don't think so....) or you can give them a cash deposit and they will either give you back the cash and put it on your credit card - or give you the change from the purchase.

Very complicated.....

Also, watch the cost of gas near the airport in MCO. The one across from Thrifty was over a $1. per gallon more than other stations. Gas up on the way to the airport.
Yzma and Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #88
bluenosemickey
Canadian in search of sun

US Gas stations and Canadian addresses

Yes, there is definately an issue with US gas stations and Canadian addresses on file for the credit card. We have a US dollar RBC ventura visa card and we have to pre-pay for our gas. It's a pain, but there's no other way around it, you just have to guess at how much you need.

We even had some nice attendant try to put in his ZIP code and because it's not the one associated with the cc, it didn't work. It amazed me how the system knows this!

To get back to the topic though, we have an american RBC ventura account and this is what we use to pay off the american visa card. This way we can transfer american funds when the exchange is exceptionally good some days and get some "dollar cost averaging" during the months leading up to our trip.

There is an annual fee associated with the visa card, $100 I think, but we are able to get visa points for our purchases and use them towards airfare in the future.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 AM   #89
LuvSnowWhite
Mouseketeer

Okay, I must be slow but what exactly is the advantage of having a USD credit card over a Canadian one? Also does anybody have or know if the Disneycard is worth having?
Maybe a USD card is better for families?
Can someone please go over this again?
Thanks.
Gina in Vancouver BC
LuvSnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #90
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowWhite View Post
Okay, I must be slow but what exactly is the advantage of having a USD credit card over a Canadian one? Also does anybody have or know if the Disneycard is worth having?
Maybe a USD card is better for families?
Can someone please go over this again?
Thanks.
Gina in Vancouver BC
For me, the advantage is that I have a little more control over the exchange rate and my vacation purchases (ie. hotels, meals souveniers).

If you use a Canadian credit card in the US, you could end up paying a different exchange rate on each purchase because the rate fluctuates daily. Most credit card companies will also add on a small percentage to the actual exchange rate - it's usually something like 2.5%. It doesn't make a difference on small purchases but I notice it a little more on bigger items.

Another thing I like about US $ credit card is that if you ever need to make a return or have money refunded to your account, you'll get the exact amount returned to you. Last year when I stayed at the Polynesian, for some reason I was charged an extra night. When I called Disney, they reversed the charge but I had to argue with MasterCard as to why they should refund the entire amount - my refund was charged at a different exchange rate than my purchase.

Also if you have a friend or family member who works at a bank, they probably get a small discount on purchasing foreign currency. So when you pay off your US$ credit card, that's another way to save money.

Btw, I don't think Canadians can apply for the Disney Visa since it's from a US bank.

HTH

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: