Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #151
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Well that is a HUGE bummer! I do so much banking back and forth with my Florida accounts! Ugh....

As for TD..my DD banks with TD in Manhatten, N.Y and we cannot transfer into her account from here...they say "that is a work in progress" and have been saying that for the 2 years we have had that account there. I can't even go into a TD branch here and send money to her account. So when she is short..she takes one of my RBC Florida cheques I have signed and deposits into TD that way.

Think I will call the Florida branch and see if they can enlighten me at all.....
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #152
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I emailed my Banker here at RBC ..her reply:

Here is a blurb from the circular we got today
"We will continue to offer RBC Access USA® products, including funds transfer between Canada and the U.S., the option of preferred foreign exchange rates and a no fee RBC Royal Bank US Dollar Visa Gold card. Cross-border banking clients will continue to have seamless access to funds and banking products such as mortgages, loans, automated teller machine (ATM) access, U.S. dollar accounts, debit and credit cards and integrated online banking."

I'll keep you in the loop as more information becomes available.

So, I guess we sit back and wait and see!!!! Grrrrrrrrr
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #153
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Got this today:

To Our Valued Canadian Clients,

RBC recently announced that it is refocusing its U.S. growth strategy and has entered into an agreement with PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. to sell its regional U.S. retail banking operations, RBC Bank, to PNC.

RBC remains fully committed to the U.S. market and this transaction allows us to focus our efforts on our cross-border banking service, as well as our two largest U.S. businesses, RBC Wealth Management and RBC Capital Markets. If y ou have an existing relationship with either of these businesses, please know that this relationship is not impacted by the sale of RBC Bank.

As a highly-valued client to RBC in both Canada and the U.S., you can be assured we will continue to meet your consumer banking needs on both sides of the border with the same high quality service and products you expect. As such, subject to regulatory approval, RBC will maintain our existing cross-border banking platform to serve the cross-border consumer banking needs of current and future clients across the U.S.

We will continue to offer products such as RBC Access USA®, on-line funds transfer and foreign exchange capabilities that make it easy for you to manage your personal finances and consumer banking needs in Canada and in the U.S. In fact, we are committed to improving and expanding capabilities in this area in the future. RBC will also ensure access to funds through ATMs and day-to-day account servicing and support through our dedicated service number at 1-800-769-2553.

At this time there is no change or impact to your banking services or your accounts. The sale of RBC Bank is expected to close in March 2012, subject to regulatory approval. Over the coming months, you will receive further information about this transaction and any impacts to you as a result. In the meantime, please contact your banker either in Canada or the U.S. for any needs you may have.

On behalf of RBC Bank, thank you for your busin ess and we look forward to continuing to serve your needs on both sides of the border.

Sincerely,

Jim Westlake
Group Head, International Banking & Insurance
Chairman and CEO, RBC Bank
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #154
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I'm not buying it.

I cannot really see how they expect PNC to continue supporting bank transfers to and from a foreign bank that is not part of their organisation. They'll likely want to quickly integrate RBC branches into their network, not maintain a separate network of banks solely for the purposes of cross-border banking.

I pulled all my money out and closed my accounts with them today. There were a number of people (basing solely on accents, mostly other expat Canadians, with a few Americans here and there) who were at the branch seemingly to do the same thing.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #155
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I hear you...I have 2 accounts there. One with a somewhat substantial balance. I think that one I will transfer into my USD account here...just to be sure. The other one I keep minimal amount in basically to pay U.S credit cards as I use and for my DD to get money in N.Y. Worst case scenario...she can access her RBC acccount here and be assessed the ATM fee..no biggie.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #156
corster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalais View Post
Honestly, I'm not buying it.

I cannot really see how they expect PNC to continue supporting bank transfers to and from a foreign bank that is not part of their organisation. They'll likely want to quickly integrate RBC branches into their network, not maintain a separate network of banks solely for the purposes of cross-border banking.

I pulled all my money out and closed my accounts with them today. There were a number of people (basing solely on accents, mostly other expat Canadians, with a few Americans here and there) who were at the branch seemingly to do the same thing.
They don't. The Access USA accounts aren't being sold to PNC.

RBC wants to keep their US banking license, and essentially become a virtual US bank (similar to ING) without a physical branch network, which will continue to serve Canadian customers.

I just opened an RBC Canada USD account, and still undecided on opening Access USA. Might wait and see how this all sorts out first.

Last edited by corster; 07-06-2011 at 12:45 PM.
corster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #157
DTFVolunteer
Disneyland Fanatic

FX machines

Just to add a little info: BMO is doing a trial run in 4 branches of an ATM that will dispense common foreign currencies (USD, Euro, Pound Sterling), and if the trial is successful, the machines may be rolled out nation-wide.

I'm crossing my fingers that I will be able to withdraw from my USD account from that machine.

Allie

My Disneyland Faves: Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight
My DCA Faves: California Screamin', Tower of Terror

My trips to DLR: October 2009 (one day with DTF)
February 2010 (three days with hubby)
October 2010 (one day with DTF)
March 2011 (four days with hubby)
Upcoming trips: October 2011 (one day with DTF)
DTFVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #158
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

RBC have been doing this for some time now..

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/usd-2011...90EE14577832C9

I use it all the time......
Old 09-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #159
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

We're looking into getting a US ING checking account (we do most of our grocery shopping in WA State, so a US account is becoming a necessity lol). Any thoughts on this?
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
lisalonglash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #160
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Sounds reasonable though I know little about ING banking I have insurance with them and they have always been excellent!

Seems RBC will continue to own the Canadian U.S banking within the PNC system so I am delighted! Business as usual for me.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #161
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry if this has been posted previously, there is just to many pages to go through to verify. If you have a CIBC account I would suggest to get their advantage card. It is a debit card however is used as a visa in the States. I have this card as I do not have a credit card. I shop in the States at least once a month and just state I'm using visa. It's good to use as well cause you can only spend whatever amount you have in your account and the rates are not bad either. There are no other fees for it either.

DD-17 DH-34 ME-37

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only); Jan 26-30, 2015 - POP (Solo); Sept 20-26, 2015 - POP (DM/DD trip)

I've been sprung....YEAH
KNovacovschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #162
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNovacovschi View Post
I'm sorry if this has been posted previously, there is just to many pages to go through to verify. If you have a CIBC account I would suggest to get their advantage card. It is a debit card however is used as a visa in the States. I have this card as I do not have a credit card. I shop in the States at least once a month and just state I'm using visa. It's good to use as well cause you can only spend whatever amount you have in your account and the rates are not bad either. There are no other fees for it either.
I have one of these, and they do charge a fee, it's a % of your purchase. Can't remember what it is, but if it's a large purchase, then the fee will be too. Wasn't happy when I read this.

I just got the CIBC U.S. Dollar credit card. $35 yearly fee, and if you pay it off right away, no other fees or interest. Don't know what will be better to use, the Advantage Debit/Visa card where they nickel & dime you, or the US credit card? We'll see.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #163
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I have one of these, and they do charge a fee, it's a % of your purchase. Can't remember what it is, but if it's a large purchase, then the fee will be too. Wasn't happy when I read this.

I just got the CIBC U.S. Dollar credit card. $35 yearly fee, and if you pay it off right away, no other
fees or interest. Don't know what
will be better to use, the
Advantage Debit/Visa card where
they nickel & dime you, or the US
credit card? We'll see.
I have never been charged a fee.
If something costs say $10,
depending on what the exchange rate is, I only pay that amount. A
couple of mths ago when the
exchange was really good I would
actually paid less, for example if it
was $10.60 US it would be like
$10.40 CDN. I actually really enjoy
my debit visa card. I would recommend it to anyone. I also got a prepaid travel MasterCard from BMO. There is a one time $10 fee for it but is great as well. Since I don't have credit cards this was great to have to book vacation & airline tickets.

DD-17 DH-34 ME-37

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only); Jan 26-30, 2015 - POP (Solo); Sept 20-26, 2015 - POP (DM/DD trip)

I've been sprung....YEAH
KNovacovschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #164
mommyof2girlies
Earning My Ears

Debit visa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNovacovschi View Post
I have never been charged a fee.
If something costs say $10,
depending on what the exchange rate is, I only pay that amount. A
couple of mths ago when the
exchange was really good I would
actually paid less, for example if it
was $10.60 US it would be like
$10.40 CDN. I actually really enjoy
my debit visa card. I would recommend it to anyone. I also got a prepaid travel MasterCard from BMO. There is a one time $10 fee for it but is great as well. Since I don't have credit cards this was great to have to book vacation & airline tickets.
Can you fill me in on where you got the debit visa you referred to? We are tired of paying the extra transaction fees on our canadian credit card for the exchange!
2010 Coronado Springs
2009 Pop
2008 Pop
2007 Pop
mommyof2girlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #165
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2girlies View Post
Can you fill me in on where you got the debit visa you referred to? We are tired of paying the extra transaction fees on our canadian credit card for the exchange!
It must be a USD debit card with a visa logo??
All credit cards add a service fee on top of the conversion rate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: