Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #136
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

You can open an RBC Centura account here..with RBC.
Pick your Florida Branch location and they will have you complete the paperwork. Easy. I pay my U.S credit cards via online banking..transfer to my daughters account there also...have a U.S Debit card. Works like a charm.
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #137
iluvflorida
Mouseketeer

Check out Royal Bank. Do not have one but they were actively solicting business at our resort last year in Florida. Talking to some they were very happy.
iluvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #138
bfost87
Earning My Ears

Hi there,
First posting on here. I was just curious if anyone knows the answer to this. If I open a US Bank Account with Scotia, can I access this account via my Scotia Debit Card while in WDW?

Disneyland - Summer 1997
Walt Disney World - May 2011
Walt Disney World College Program - Summer 2012
bfost87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #139
kittycat7
Earning My Ears

hmm interesting question, not quite sute you'll be able to access it...
kittycat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #140
DTFVolunteer
Disneyland Fanatic

Not 100% sure re: Scotia, but I do work at BMO.

BMO USD accounts cannot be accessed with debit cards as I believe the cards are coded as CDN and the conflicting currencies creates an issue.

Haven't really read through the whole thread - but for BMO customers out there - did you know that transferring funds to your USD account and then withdrawing the USD cash gives you a better (slightly) exchange rate than if you take it right out of the CDN account? I had three or four customers who didn't know this trick today and so I thought I'd pass it on.

A
DTFVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #141
DTFVolunteer
Disneyland Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSixOfUs View Post
Slightly off topic, but I would like to open up a US bank account. I am a Canadian citizen who travels to the US often. Does anyone know how I do this?
Should be able to go to your local branch - depending on your bank of choice, of course - and just ask.

As an employee who opens accounts at BMO, the process is the same as opening a CDN account, but we need to record country of citizenship per US banking regulations. At BMO you do not need to provide proof, just telling us is sufficient.

Check into fees for your accounts - BMO links the USD account to your current banking plan for no additional fee, transfers to/from can be done online with a 12-24 hour delay on processing, payments to BMO USD MC can be done online also.

Edit: I saw this on an earlier post and didn't want to clutter the board: BMO offers its USD MC for $25 per year, however, if $1000 (think hotel, food, spending, car rental, online shopping ) is spent in one year, the annual fee is waived the following year. So in theory you only have to pay the first year fee, then depending on your spending habits, the card can be free after that.

Last edited by DTFVolunteer; 02-15-2011 at 11:51 PM.
DTFVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #142
momtolots
Mouseketeer

CIBC now has a debit card that can be used in the US..as well as the INTERAC sign, it has a VISA sign...you use it like a debit card in the US..takes it right from your CAN$ account..it's great!

Me DH DD22 dd16 DD15 DD10 DS9:: DS8
momtolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #143
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

RBC does also...I have a USD acct here but I also have a USD account with RBC Centura in Florida. I opened it here with my Banker.It has a Debit card with the Visa sign on it also...and is usable all over the U.S with no fee attached. I transfer money online directly into my Florida account and it's so easy. I also applied for a USD Visa there as well and got it though not really sure why because I have a USD one here....I think I thought if I get that one then I could apply for a Disney Visa though I haven't yet

Banking is getting easier all the time cross border!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #144
corster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSixOfUs View Post
Slightly off topic, but I would like to open up a US bank account. I am a Canadian citizen who travels to the US often. Does anyone know how I do this?
I realized your question is almost a year old at this point, but for the benefit of everyone on the site, i'll share my answer.

If you want a REAL US-Based bank account and not just a Canadian Bank Account in USD, there's four options:

1) RBC has a US Banking for Canadians package which includes a real US Account (through RBC Bank USA), Real US Cheques, Real US Debit Card. You can open this at any RBC branch in Canada.

2) HSBC offers their Premier and Advance clients the ability to open real US Accounts through HSBC Bank USA (No fee for Premier clients, there are fees for Advance clients)

3) Harris Bank (Chicago-area bank owned by BMO) allows Canadians to open real US accounts online on their website - they'll mail you a real US debit card, real US cheques, etc...

4) You can walk in to most US banks and open an account in person.

The US Dollar accounts offered by Canadian Banks are not the same as US-based Bank Accounts. You'll need a real US account to do things such as use a USD Debit Card in stores, or many services which require a US cheque drawn on a US bank.

If you choose option 3 or 4, you can transfer funds between your US bank and your CAD bank through a service such as XEtrade with decent exchange rates and minimal fees.

Last edited by corster; 04-07-2011 at 11:29 PM.
corster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #145
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Just to add...if you open the U.S based account with RBC in Canada (in a Florida location for example) you can also transfer from your Canadian account directly into the Florida account via their online banking site not to mention also the 'other way' should you want to send money back!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #146
glendalais
DIS Veteran

It should be noted that RBC is apparently considering selling off it's U.S. retail banking operations. If it were to occur, it's highly unlikely that the purchasing bank, particularly if it's American-based, would be willing to maintain such a focus on cross-border transactions.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #147
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Well that would be lousy...

I love how easily I can move $$ back and forth..my daughter lives in NYC and I pay her rent so easily month to month..my U.S credit cards...transfer when the rates are great LIKE TODAY

Fingers crossed they don't!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #148
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
Banking is getting easier all the time cross border!
You're so right! In 2009 I travelled to China with my parents when I adopted my amazing DD. It was recommended by my agency that we take CDN travellers chqs and exchange there which ended up being a 1+ hour process each transaction!

Dad was wandering around our hotel in Beijing and noticed a bank machine with an Interac symbol. Figuring he had nothing to lose he popped in his debit card and within seconds had RMB in his hand and no service fee!

Banking is getting much easier! Now.....if only CDNs could be eligible to open a Disney Visa, then I'd get excited!

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #149
marryjacob22
Earning My Ears

Marry Jacobson

Very nice and informative discussion. Thank all for the bulk of information.
marryjacob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #150
glendalais
DIS Veteran

The CBC is reporting that the Royal Bank of Canada has decided to sell it's RBC Bank chain in the U.S. to PNC Financial Group.

The new owners are solidly U.S.-based. As such, I imagine the connections (account transfers, etc.) with RBC Royal Bank accounts in Canada will eventually be severed.

Those looking for account access options in the Central Florida area might try TD Bank, the U.S. subsidary of Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD Canada Trust). They've been doing better than RBC Bank, and recently expanded their presence in Central Florida - at least two branches have just opened up near my house. I don't believe they allow the direct transfer of funds across the border. But, with RBC now shutting down here, they might in the future.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: