Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #31
adkkev
hiking fool

Thumbs down

FWIW ...

We have only flown through Detroit as a connector on NWA ... but so far NWA has lost our luggage once, damaged our luggage another time, gave us a horrendous time when we missed our connection (to Anchorage) because of mechanical problems on the flight we flew into Detroit (which involved circling Detroit, dumping fuel, and preparing for a crash landing ... was NWA in the least bit sympathetic and helpful? not a chance!!), and are seldom, if ever, on time.

We try to avoid NWA as much as we can ... unfortunately there are few alternatives out of our home airport when we are travelling to visit our son in Alaska.
adkkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #32
mtmbyck
I AM Canadian eh!

WOW< sounds like you've have had a rough time on NWA. Quite the contrast, we have flown with them the last 3 years with absolutely no issues at all - and last year they overboked the flight and had to separate my husband from my two DD's and myself, and they gave us $300 of flying credit for our trouble - without batting an eye!

Sorry you have had such bad experiences.
mtmbyck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #33
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

mtmbyck, I know a few people that fly NWA almost exclusively, and their experience has been positive, too.

Now. Detroit Hotels with an airport shuttle included, breakfast-early-preferred. Which have you used? Which would you recommend? Which would you definitely stay away from?

Thanks for ALL your input.

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #34
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

Buffalo Airport

I have only been on an airplane once in my life and that was going to WDW. I have to say that I enjoyed the Buffalo Airport. The cost to fly to Orlando was 1/2 the price then what I would have paid if I had flown out of Toronto. I live in Hamilton and got lucky that it only took us about 11/2 hours to get there....we also left at like 6am. We parked our car at the airport for the week as well and the price was good. It only cost us $55US in the long term parking at the airport. My husband has flown many times and he has said that was the cheapest. So even though I am a novice traveler my suggestion would definitely be to fly out of Buffalo. We flew with Airtran and I thought is was a great experience!!! Even though I don't have anything to compare it to.

DD-16 DH-33 ME-36

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only)

I've been sprung....YEAH

Last edited by KNovacovschi; 01-20-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: wanted to add to comment
KNovacovschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #35
busterblue
Earning My Ears

I have never flown out of Buffalo but we are flying Southwest from there to Orlando February 1'st. Direct flight and it was 1400 dollars Canadian cheaper than the Air Canada or West Jet flights out of Toronto. That pays for seven day passes for all four of us and the rental car.

You must drive very carefully as I live in Mississauga and have made it to the Buffalo arena in an hour and a half !

I will go on the airport web site but do you recall the amenities and pricing at the Buffalo airport once you clear security? We are planing on getting there about 2 hours before departure and have a 5 & 7 year old to feed and entertain. I assume they have newstands and fast food restaraunts when you are past security right?

Any suggestions about flying out of Buffalo will be greatly appreciated.
busterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #36
Momto4boys
Mouseketeer

Flying out of Detroit..help?

I just booked flights for Disney in November out of Detroit. I will be driving from Kitchener (flights were cheaper than Buffalo AND got a direct there) Any suggestions on parking, safety, ease of getting through the airport?

First trip to Disney in Nov 07 stayed offsite
OKW Girls trip Nov/08
Girls trip again in Sept/10 at Poly
Momto4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #37
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Yes.. I merged your post into this sticky thread filled with LOTS of great info.

Knox

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #38
Momto4boys
Mouseketeer

Ah I posted a thread then found this. Glad for all the info! Was worried about crossing the border then flying out but it seems to not be any more hassle than just crossing the border to shop.I just hope I don't get lost and get to my flight on time!

Oh and the NWA stuff scares me! That's who we are booked through

First trip to Disney in Nov 07 stayed offsite
OKW Girls trip Nov/08
Girls trip again in Sept/10 at Poly
Momto4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #39
candizfan
DIS Veteran

I have flown on a lot of different air lines and they all have good and bad stories.

Just remember that no matter what happens, be pleasant to the people at the desk. Getting angry will get you no where FAST!

Good luck.
offsite'95,2000,01,03,POR July 03,SSR July 05, Disney Magic Mar 07, OKW Mar 08, AKV July 08, SSR Jan 09, Disney Magic Mar 09, AKV Mar 2010, SSR Feb 11, Disney Magic Mar 11, AKV May 12, Universal Mar 13, Disney Fantasy Mar 14
candizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #40
TreesyB
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have a hotel map for BUF like the one for Detroit on the previous page? I always forget which hotel is across the street from the airport!
BCV - 2011 New Years
OKW/SSR-2010 New YearsBoardwalk Villas 2009 just one night
SSR-2008 Xmas BCV -2008 - F&W
BCV/SSR -2008 - NYE! BCV -2007 - so amazing!
SSR-2007 x3 - so awesome! Contemporary Resort -2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2003
TreesyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #41
jtdl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Now. Detroit Hotels with an airport shuttle included, breakfast-early-preferred. Which have you used? Which would you recommend? Which would you definitely stay away from?

Thanks for ALL your input.
We just flew out of Detroit a couple weeks ago - NWA with no problems at all - we were actually 20 minutes early arriving back to Detroit.

We stayed at the Ramada. It was adequate - clean, comfortable. Of course it was a bit worn, but I think that is to expected of any hotel that is basically just overnight guests - in and out to catch a plane. They offer free breakfast which includes hot items - eggs, sausage, waffles, as well as the usual pastries, cereal and bagels. We let the front desk know what time we wanted the shuttle and it was there on time - loaded and unloaded our bags. You park directly across the street at the Airlines Parking, which is a very efficient place!

The Ramada had no parking vouchers when we checked in so I had to call their shuttle to pick us up at the airport (it was there already), take us back to the Ramada, unload our bags, drag them inside, get the voucher and then call the parking shuttle to come and get us! It was kind of a pain and wasted probably about 30 minutes of our time (could've been halfway home by then!) since we had to drive around to another terminal to pick up others and then do a drop at the Baymont. Next time I book there I will specify when I make the ressie to be sure they have a voucher for me when I get there.......or else LOL
Feb 2005 - Pop Century
Nov 1998 - off site
Oct 1995 - ASMu

jtdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #42
A&CsMom
Mouseketeer

I haven't flown for over 10 years and we are flying out of Buffalo for the first time in a week. We will cross at Fort Erie, as that seems to be the best, easiest route from the Hamilton area.

I have been reading about the Skycap and was wondering if they have that at the Buffalo airport? If they do, can anyone tell me where it is and how exactly to use it? We will already have our Southwest boarding passes which I will print out at work on Friday.

Also, any other tips or information, such as what types of food services there are to grab some lunch would be appreciate. DD and I have several food allergies so that can be difficult for us.

TIA

March 1980 Offsite/March 1982 Offsite
March 1984 Offsite/March 1986 Offsite
March 1989 Offsite/December 1991 Offsite
November 1997 Honeymoon Offsite
January/February 2005 Offsite (villa)
April 2006 Offsite (Orange Villa)
April/May 2007 Offsite (Lakeside Villa)
February 2008 Offsite (Regal Palms)

March 2011 Offsite (Indian Creek)
A&CsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #43
wee-haggis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&CsMom View Post
I haven't flown for over 10 years and we are flying out of Buffalo for the first time in a week. We will cross at Fort Erie, as that seems to be the best, easiest route from the Hamilton area.

I have been reading about the Skycap and was wondering if they have that at the Buffalo airport? If they do, can anyone tell me where it is and how exactly to use it? We will already have our Southwest boarding passes which I will print out at work on Friday.

Also, any other tips or information, such as what types of food services there are to grab some lunch would be appreciate. DD and I have several food allergies so that can be difficult for us.

TIA
The Skycap is available at Buffalo Airport,but to be honest the SWA desk is
about 20ft inside the front door and its a breeze checking in (if you already have your boarding passes printed off, you just approach the SWA desk and use one of the several touch screen monitors to weigh and check your luggage).Then in a few short minutes you are off to the Security checkpoint to go through to the departure lounge.
The food areas (at least some of them) ,are just outside Security although there are a few when you get through Security as well.
Here is a list of the food services available.

Monarch Newsstand & Gift Shop
Located: Upper Level, just inside Security
Hours: Sunday - Friday 5 AM - 7:30 PM, Saturday 5:30 AM - 7:30 PM
Phone: (716) 565-9333

The Monarch Newsstand & Gift Shop has a large, varied selection of hard to find items. Call ahead for gift wrap. Merchandise shipped worldwide. Business services and currency exchange available.

AllStars Bar
Located: Upper Level, just inside Security
Hours: 10 AM - 7 PM

Features a full bar, satellite TVs, and food menu featuring Niagara Grill items. Located in the upper terminal, just inside Security.

Burger King
Located: Gateway before Security
Hours: 5:30 AM - 8:30 PM, Monday through Friday, and 6 AM - 8 PM, Saturday and Sunday.

DNC Travel Hospitality Services
Food and Hospitality Service Operator (click here for more information)

The Coffee Beanery
Located: Across from the gift shop.
Offering a fine selection of regular and speciality coffees, lattes, cappuccinos, muffins, pastries and other refreshments. It also carriers Vito's Gourmet Deli sandwiches and salads.

Freshens
Located: Gate 4
Hours: 5 AM - 7:30 PM, Monday through Friday, and 6:00 AM - 7:30 PM, Saturday and Sunday.

Serving frozen yogurt, fresh fruit, pastries and coffee.

Jake's Bistro & News
Located: Near Gate 21
Hours: 5 AM - 8 PM

Salads, wraps, beverages, magazines, books. Eat in or to go.

Landmark Bar and Carvery
Located: Near Gate 9
Hours: 5 AM - 10:15 PM

Frank Lloyd Wright architecture with a full bar, table side service and freshly carved sandwiches daily - roast beef, smoked ham and turkey breast. Freshly baked breakfast pastries and gourmet coffee are served daily starting at 5:00 am.

Matties Texas Red Hots
Located: Near Gate 21 and Gate 4
Hours: 8 AM - 7 PM

A local favorite serving a variety of smoked sausages with all of your favorite toppings.

Niagara Grill
Located: Gateway before Security
Hours: 5 AM - 10 PM

Freshly baked breakfast pastries and hot off the grill sandwich and salad specialties offer a taste of local favorites. Beer available.

Vending
Coffee, snack and soda machines are located on the lower level in the baggage claim area.

Wings to Go
Located: Pick up in the Landmark Bar
Freshly carved sandwiches, chicken wings made to order, packed to fly or
1989/11(Honeymoon) Delta Court Of Flags,1992/10 Quality Inn Suites,1998/10 Carribean Beach/POFQ,1999/06 Holiday Inn Family Suites,2001/03 Holiday Inn Maingate East,2001/08 AKL/Comfort Inn LBV,2002/08 POP,2003/03 Kissimmee Villa,,2004/08 Kissimmee Villa,2005/08 POP,2005/12 Kissimmee Villa,2006/03 Kissimmee Villa,2006/08 Cypress Pointe GV / DCL Wonder,2006/12 Kissimmee Villa,2007/12 Pop Century/Bahama Bay,2008/08 Cypress Pointe & Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa ,2008/11 Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa ,2009/11 Cypress Pointe GV,2010/08 Kissimmee Villa,2011/04Cypress Pointe GV,2011/09Kissimmee Villa,2012/05Cypress Pointe Resort2013/02Boardwalk Villas,Saratoga Springs Villas2014/01Kissimmee Villa
wee-haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #44
Pugmom25
Earning My Ears

Flying Out of Detroit

I live in London and fly out of Detroit almost exclusively. Most recently we flew to Ft. Lauderdale with Air Tran and I would recommend them as an airline. If you book early they have some really cheap flights. We're going to WDW in October and got non-stop round trip flights for $175 which I thought was pretty good. We always park at Airlines Parking (the yellow buses).
I've left my car there many times and have never had any problem. On our most recent trip we parked there for the entire week for $54 with CAA discount. You have to show them your card when you leave but that saved us $8.00.

We've also stayed at the Airport Sheraton which was very clean and recently updated. It also has a pool which would be good to burn some energy off the kids who will be really excited. They have a park n' fly option but we've never used it. Here's the link for pricing:

Hope that helps!

Christine
Pugmom25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #45
NikP
I will be bouncing off the wall
My husband loved this purse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesyB View Post
Does anyone have a hotel map for BUF like the one for Detroit on the previous page? I always forget which hotel is across the street from the airport!
This is the link to the Buffalo Airport site that shows a map of local hotels.

http://www.buffaloairport.com/misc/accommodations.asp

NikP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: