Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #256
grantclaire
Mouseketeer

We are flying out of Buffalo for the first time this December. Direct flight to Fort Lauderdale with Southwest. Should be no problem driving to Buffalo as long as the weather is good. Am a little worried about flying Southwest after watching the show On the Fly! Are they always bumping people from the flights?
March 2003 - offsite [COLOR="navy"]March 2004[/COLOR] - offsite March 2006 - offsite March 2007 - offsite March 2008 - 4 night Wonder March 2009 - offsite Xmas 2009 - 4 night Wonder March 2010 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge January 2010 - offsite [/FONT] March 2011 - 4 night Dream January 2012 - Beach Club July 2012 - 5 Night Magic
March 2013 4 Night Dream cruise[B]August 2013 [/B]Vistana Villages December 2013 Clearwater Marriott/Vistana Villages Orlando- March 2014 Vistana Villages
grantclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #257
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by archdandy View Post
Thanks! It looks like your going to be arriving the same day as us! I'll definitely check out that website.
Did you have any luck finding a hotel you like? We're going to be staying at the Days Inn, which is right across from the airport. Which Disney resort are you staying at? Maybe we'll see each other!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #258
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
We've flown Buffalo to Orlando many times direct with Air Trans. Piece of cake! This next trip, Delta had cheaper direct flights out of Detroit for us though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Melissa View Post
I have travelled on AirTran from Detroit to Orlando and find it much much better than Spirit Air and less expensive. I have also used Delta but it can be a bit higher of a price.
Thanks for your feedback! I've booked our flight with AirTran flying out of Buffalo direct to Orlando. It cost $926.40 for 4 adults, including all taxes and choosing our seats in advance. We'll have to pay $20/suitcase at the airport and the hotel will cost us $151.73 including all taxes, fees and 14 days parking. I'm also budgeting an additional $125 for gas and food. The best price I could find for direct (I hate connecting flights and avoid them whenever possible) out of Toronto was $1722.40 flying with WestJet. Air Canada was comparable at $1722.48. AC charges $25 for the first suitcase and I believe the first is still free with WJ? Parking would set us back approximately $130 for the two weeks. So the total out of Buffalo is US$1283 and out of Toronto (flying WJ) CDN$1852. At todays exchange rate, we're still saving around $550. Which means more money for Disney!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #259
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Parking at Detroit Big Blue Deck

We are flying out of Detroit to Orlando for 12 days..hence we need 12 days of parking. We always stay at the Westin at Mcnamara terminal but since we leave on a Thursday, the rates with taxes and 12 days parking is over $400.00. So, we are still staying at the Westin for free on points and I can get 12 days of parking at the big blue deck at the north terminal of detroit airport for $120.00 plus tax. It says that it has a free shuttle to Mcnamara terminal/Westin hotel. and that it is a covered lot. Has anyone ever parked here before. I think that this is the terminal where Southwest and some other airlines fly out of.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #260
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciniagara View Post
Please anybody from out of the Niagara region that are planning on flying out of Buffalo take the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie. Do Not take the Queenston Lewiston bridge or the Rainbow bridge. The drive between them and Fort Erie is minimal and the drive from the Peace bridge and the airport is so much easier. Also the wait times at the Peace bridge are a lot shorter than you will ever find at Queenston Lewiston
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Mouseketeers View Post
I cant remember the last time we flew out of Pearson. Anywhere in the US we fly out of Buffalo. Whether flying to California, Nevada, Florida or even close by to NYC, Pearson cant even touch the cost of flying out of Buffalo even after you put in the "park, sleep, fly" cost. Time isnt a factor as Buffalo is only an extra 20-30 minute drive for us.
For our upcoming trip, our direct SW flight was $215 pp return! Thats with taxes and all fees in. Cheapest direct return flights I found out of Pearson were about $400 pp.

As for bridge crossing, we always cross at Fort Erie. First few times we crossed at Queenston/Lewiston but not any longer. As ciniagara mentioned the waits are always much much longer.
Thank you both for this advice! This will be our first time flying out of Buffalo and we had been planning to cross at Queenston/Lewiston but will do as you suggest, thanks again!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #261
Da2154
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgropp View Post
We are flying out of Detroit to Orlando for 12 days..hence we need 12 days of parking. We always stay at the Westin at Mcnamara terminal but since we leave on a Thursday, the rates with taxes and 12 days parking is over $400.00. So, we are still staying at the Westin for free on points and I can get 12 days of parking at the big blue deck at the north terminal of detroit airport for $120.00 plus tax. It says that it has a free shuttle to Mcnamara terminal/Westin hotel. and that it is a covered lot. Has anyone ever parked here before. I think that this is the terminal where Southwest and some other airlines fly out of.

We just did exactly that! Yes, the Big Blue Deck is covered and costs $10/day. It's a large parking garage so write down where you parked. The Terminal-Westin-Terminal shuttle is free but it will take you some time. On our return, the shuttle was just driving away as we got to ground level. So, the Green Lot shuttle driver offered to take us to the Big Blue Deck, which was very kind of him.
Da2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #262
ryckpen
Earning My Ears

We live in Windsor and are flying to Disney at the end of January. We are lucky to live so close to Detroit Metro Airport. Just wondering about s/p/f. We need to be at the airport at 6:30 am and with January weather and border issues thought this might be a viable option. Any info would be apprieciated.

Last edited by ryckpen; 10-24-2012 at 08:30 AM.
ryckpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #263
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryckpen View Post
We live in Windsor and are flying to Disney at the end of January. We are lucky to live so close to Detroit Metro Airport. Just wondering about s/p/f. We need to be at the airport at 6:30 am and with January weather and border issues thought this might be a viable option. Any info would be apprieciated.
I am presuming s/p/f means stay.park and fly. If so stay at any one of the airport hotels. They all include free parking (usually 7-10 days) and a free shuttle to and from the airport. If you are leaving on a Fri-Sat_Sun, I would reccomend the Westin that is attached to McNaamara Terminal . For $175 you get valet parking, 10 days free parking and your hotel room is a 5 minute walk to the terminal (Delta). We are staying there the last night in January.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #264
ryckpen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgropp View Post
I am presuming s/p/f means stay.park and fly. If so stay at any one of the airport hotels. They all include free parking (usually 7-10 days) and a free shuttle to and from the airport. If you are leaving on a Fri-Sat_Sun, I would reccomend the Westin that is attached to McNaamara Terminal . For $175 you get valet parking, 10 days free parking and your hotel room is a 5 minute walk to the terminal (Delta). We are staying there the last night in January.
Thank you Tgropp. That would be a really nice way to start my vacation just wake up and walk to my teminal. Hope you have a great time in Disney. We might just be passing in the airport I am returning Feb 1st.
ryckpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #265
GGKoul
Earning My Ears

As someone who lives in Southern Ontario, I have a choice to fly out of Buffalo or Toronto. Sure Toronto is closer, but usually these Buffalo to Orlando or anywhere warm flights are usually in the early AM, so crossing the boarder takes a few minutes since there isn't usually a line up. And when you get to the Buffalo airport, checking in and security is a piece of cake especially when compared to Toronto security & US customs. I would actually say when comparing driving to Buffalo vs Toronto. When you consider driving, customs, and check in time, I would say Buffalo and Toronto total time from home to gate is a push for me.

You have to remember the flight costs are usually cheaper when compared to Toronto costs. As I'm been lucky to book my 4 family members direct from Buffalo to Orlando for $1000. Once with Jet Blue and my next flight is with Air Tran. That's at least half of what Air Canada would have charged.

Then you consider parking, Buffalo airport is 20-40% cheaper then Toronto options. So that helps with the gas costs. But when you consider picking up some cheap beer from customs and then filling up on cheap gas before crossing, the costs of getting there is a push. Regarding Buffalo Airport parking, there is round the clock shuttles that basically picks you up where you parked, they give you a ticket # to assist with finding your car when you come back and then they take you right to the terminal. Then when you arrive, you give the ticket to the shuttle driver and they take you right to your car. Awesome Service!!!

So for me its a no brainer to book a flight from Buffalo.

Note, I usually cross at Lewiston. As the Niagara Falls/Fort Erie route is very dark at night and at least the Lewiston/St. Catharine's part is lite up some what.

Hope that helps!
-GG

Last edited by GGKoul; 02-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.
GGKoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #266
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryckpen View Post
Thank you Tgropp. That would be a really nice way to start my vacation just wake up and walk to my teminal. Hope you have a great time in Disney. We might just be passing in the airport I am returning Feb 1st.
I never thought of the Westin! Awesome! Thanks!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #267
Zabnee
Mouseketeer

We've flown out of Detroit twice, to head to Orlando, in the past 4 years. If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: don't stay at the Super 8.

Even being from two hours north of Toronto, along the 400, the amount we saved going to Detroit instead of T.O. was soo worth it!

Next time, though, we're going to watch for sales and try to fly Buffalo.

Next adventure: possibly trying the drive, again, down to WDW in October, with a party of 10!
Zabnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #268
Mummyof4
Earning My Ears

Any recommendations for Buffalo hotels, to leave your car at instead of the airport (or any who don't recommend this at all)?
Mummyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #269
Mickey'sCanadiannurs
Earning My Ears

Driving is part of the vacation ! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Ham View Post
I think that a thread about driving routes would be a good idea.
I'm sure there are folks from all across the country that could provide tips and tricks. I often respond to people posting about driving from Ontario to WDW.

Disboards could also post from out east and the folks out west too with routes to Disneyland.
Have done this for over 30 yrs... and know it so well don't need a map ! It is fantastic.... we have taken flights, but preference depends on the trip !
Mickey'sCanadiannurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #270
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummyof4 View Post
Any recommendations for Buffalo hotels, to leave your car at instead of the airport (or any who don't recommend this at all)?
Days Inn Buffalo Airport
4345 Genesee St.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: