Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #886
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

I don't know about the older section because we've always stayed in the newer section. I can vouch for the newer section ~ it's beautiful. The rooms are cleaner than any Disney hotel I've stayed at including the Contemporary. I think the lobby is very pretty. I don't associate SoG with the Poly but with the Wilderness with a lighter hue and scale.

I've always been pleased with SoG and I'm not always easy to please. People complain about the buses because they're older. But they are on a schedule instead of wondering when one is going to come along. There also isn't a 1-1/2 hour wait for the bus like I've experienced at Pop. Men also give up their seats on the bus for women and kids. You don't see that very much on a Pop bus.

Kids will be kids where ever they are but parents seem to be more respectful of others and don't let their kids get out of control at SoG.

Yes, I have to pay $5 to park at the resort. You do also if you stay at the Swan or Dolphin. I'm disappointed that SoG guests now have to pay to park at the parks but I don't put the blame on Shades. I think it's all Disney. There was even a podcast today about "Disney fleecing their guests". SoG may re-evaluate next Dec. about EMH and parking. I hope they continue the EMH but if they don't, we'll still stay at SoG. We rarely take advantage of EMH.

We are on the highest scale on the room rates for Shades and I find it a very good deal when you factor in quenn size beds, a sleeper sofa, huge bathroom, deck or patio, and no tax. What Disney resort can offer the same for even close to that price even with the extra parking fees?

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #887
allboyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmdavid View Post
I love WDW as much as the next person, but I think it is horrible that they would consider taking away EMH from SOG. They need to do a better job of supporting the troops.
The took EMH away for a short period of time just prior to our last trip. I remember a lot of people on the boards here contacting them to complain and they reversed the decision.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #888
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

Who did they contact, SOG or Disney? SOG has to pay Disney for EMH. That seems to be a matter of how much SOG is willing to pay for that perk. On the other hand, free parking at the parks was never in the contract, according to Linda in Guest Services at SOG. So I don't think it's something that SOG is going to be able to negotiate.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:18 AM   #889
allboyz
Mouseketeer

All of us contacted Shades of Green to complain. Then they reversed the decision. I'm not sure about parking. We used Disney transportation.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #890
Mom2apirate&princess
Mouseketeer

I'm so excited that I found this thread. So much information! For the life of me I can't get on SOG website. We are stationed in Italy and I have a hard time with the time difference when trying to call them for info.

We are coming to WDW in January after my dh returns from OIF. I had read about OIF/OEF packages. Can someone tell me about that? TIA

Also, I had originally booked us to stay at the AKL. But I just can't bring myself to pay almost triple the amount for one night there as opposed to one night at SOG. In the end we decided to add more days to our vacation. The kids forgot all about AKL when we told them they were getting more Disney time!

We've stayed at the Hale Koa, Dragon Hill (Korea) and Edelweiss and have been happy with all of them. I'm hoping SOG will be just as good!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #891
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2apirate&princess View Post
For the life of me I can't get on SOG website. We are stationed in Italy and I have a hard time with the time difference when trying to call them for info.
Where in Italy? We are in Naples. Which server do you have? We use Alice. I have not had any problems getting on the SOG website. I was just there a few minutes ago.

My suggestion is to just plan all of your calls Stateside to coincide with your early evening......around 6-7pm. I figure I always have until around 10PM my time to do business with the States. Never try to call before 3pm our time.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #892
Mom2apirate&princess
Mouseketeer

Hi! We are in Aviano. We use Alice as well. But I can't ever get on. I don't know why.

I know what you mean about after 6 or 7. I usually put the kids down at 8 and then I have some free time. However, I have a mother and sister that call a lot)

I will try the site again. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #893
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
I don't know about the older section because we've always stayed in the newer section. I can vouch for the newer section ~ it's beautiful. The rooms are cleaner than any Disney hotel I've stayed at including the Contemporary. I think the lobby is very pretty. I don't associate SoG with the Poly but with the Wilderness with a lighter hue and scale.

I've always been pleased with SoG and I'm not always easy to please. People complain about the buses because they're older. But they are on a schedule instead of wondering when one is going to come along. There also isn't a 1-1/2 hour wait for the bus like I've experienced at Pop. Men also give up their seats on the bus for women and kids. You don't see that very much on a Pop bus.

Kids will be kids where ever they are but parents seem to be more respectful of others and don't let their kids get out of control at SoG.

Yes, I have to pay $5 to park at the resort. You do also if you stay at the Swan or Dolphin. I'm disappointed that SoG guests now have to pay to park at the parks but I don't put the blame on Shades. I think it's all Disney. There was even a podcast today about "Disney fleecing their guests". SoG may re-evaluate next Dec. about EMH and parking. I hope they continue the EMH but if they don't, we'll still stay at SoG. We rarely take advantage of EMH.

We are on the highest scale on the room rates for Shades and I find it a very good deal when you factor in quenn size beds, a sleeper sofa, huge bathroom, deck or patio, and no tax. What Disney resort can offer the same for even close to that price even with the extra parking fees?
I agree. We are also in a higher category. Although the pool area is anything but deluxe, the rest of the resort is, most definately. We stayed in the new section, also. I couldn't believe the size of the rooms. Staying at a value resort with a family of four would be a problem, because of the double beds, and Disney only allows four in a room, five if there is a pull out, even though two children could sleep on a pull out. At SOG, you could easily sleep six and they allow that.

We are DVC members, so our nights at SOG are just "add ons", but we stayed a week when we didn't have DVC. I have been pricing rooms for comparison to the cost of DVC for us - Disney deluxe rooms are quite small, though well appointed, and go for $300-$400 a night. Yes, you get free parking with that, but it hardly makes up for the savings at SOG. When you book a value resort, you get a value resort.

Where in the U.S. have you ever expected military accomodations to be right up there with outside ones? I think we need to remember what it would probably be like if this hotel was located on base and be thankful that it is there to provide an affordable way for families to enjoy WDW. As far as booking other off-site hotels at "reasonable" rates, I have read alot of nightmare stories, both on the DIS and on TripAdvisor, as well as an experience my DSIS had, so once again, you get what you pay for.

Finally, the price of everything is doubling right now, so obviously SOG would need to pass some of that on.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #894
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Mom2apirate&princess I have just PM'ed you some information.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #895
airplane
DIS Veteran

Just got Back

HI!
I just returned from SOG. I was there May 4th - May 9th. Our group consisted of 8 adults,1 baby. We rented a car. We were in rooms 249,248,247,246 old section. Awesome location. We were on the same floor as the lobby, right next to the elevator, short walk to the parking garage, Starbucks coffee, the icecream shop and AAFES. I highly recommend these rooms. We had a view of the Mickey head pool and we could walk out of our room and see the other pool.
We drove to MGM, BB, TL. It was a lot easier to walk to the Poly to get to MK and EPCOT w/ a stroller. We did NOT have to pay for parking at MGM. We never had an issue w/ the buses. They were always right on time.

Our trip was perfect. The wx was in the 80's, low humidity, not a drop of rain and the only place we encountered lines over 15 minutes was AK-- But we won the magic dreampasses at AK so we didn't have to wait in line!

Questions that I have seen:
-Manginos was delicious. Excellent food, big portions, good prices.
-There is a microwave in the laundry room but it could be a far walk depending on where your room is.
-Room 246 was a corner room and it did not have an interior connecting room door. If you do not need a connecting room I would suggest you request a corner room b/c they are a lot quieter. I could hear my neighbors very clearly through the connecting doors.
-The crib was small standard crib. My neice slept in it every night (and she won't sleep in her crib at home).
-Golf, they changed the rules now where you can make ressies 30 days in advance and it is only $35.00 to play after 10:00, $55.00 before 10:00. My dad and DH played at Palm and Osprey Ridge. There was a tournament at Magnolia. They liked Osprey Ridge a lot better.
- Laundry room,very big. 1.00 for the washer, .75 for the dryer.
- We did not have to pay for parking at the parks nor were we told we would have to.
-We were able to particpate in EMH.
-SOG does not offer bar soap. There is a dispenser in the shower for "Shampoo Plus" and one for "body Wash", The soap next to the sink is even liquid.
I can try to answer any other questions you may have.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #896
surfboard
Earning My Ears

That;s not a lot I would liek to know more
Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #897
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane View Post
-SOG does not offer bar soap. There is a dispenser in the shower for "Shampoo Plus" and one for "body Wash", The soap next to the sink is even liquid.
Thanks for the reminder about the soap. I really miss the french milled soap of the "old days". I had to buy something in the shop and it just about took my skin off...no kidding. I have to remember to pack something I can use.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #898
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

Although its still the best location for me, if the EMH's get pulled in January I will switch properties to a moderate so I can throw in a dining plan and still participate in the extra hours. This is a very disappointing development to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
Yes, we still get EMH. The anniversary date of those contracts are Jan 1. In 2006 it was terminated on Jan 1 and reinstated on March 1. There were too many complaints when SoG let it lapse and they then worked with Disney to reinstate it.

The parking was abolished in Jan.2008 but it was not enforced until just two weeks ago. So we will have to wait for next Jan to see if EMH remains or goes away.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #899
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2apirate&princess View Post
I'm so excited that I found this thread. So much information! For the life of me I can't get on SOG website.
I was thinking that maybe it had to do with the main SOG page -- it has a flash video (or some other kind of video -- not sure what the format of it is) and that could be the problem. So, instead of going to www.shadesofgreen.org, try:

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/home.html

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/booking.htm (for reservations)

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/ATS.htm (for info on tickets)

I'm hoping that you can get to these pages even though you can't get into the site's front page.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
Old 05-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #900
Mom2apirate&princess
Mouseketeer

LadyZ,

Thank you so much for those. I'm off to try them now
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: