Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #871
Msslaydbug
Can't wait to get back !!
I have got to learn to stop drinking water
I am such a bad cook I burn water

Wow ! We were going to rent a van this trip ( in 9 days !) but now I am really reconsidering ! The only park we weren't going to drive to is MK. Now I have to factor in not only the rental, parking and gas but the theme park parking - DARN IT !

Disneyland 4/00 * 10/06 * 3/09 * 3/12 X's 2 * 05/12 **coming soon Paradise Pier 09/12**
Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #872
Bronte
DIS Veteran

I have one child that is 12 and one that is 15.
Will I have to pay for the 12 year old as a child or adult at the Shades of Green Buffets.
(I know at Disney the limits are 9 and under for child and 10 and up adult.)
Thanks
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #873
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
I have one child that is 12 and one that is 15.
Will I have to pay for the 12 year old as a child or adult at the Shades of Green Buffets.
(I know at Disney the limits are 9 and under for child and 10 and up adult.)
Thanks
I don't remember ever being asked how old DD was, I would usually just state 3 adults so they knew up front. We were surprised every now and then that she was charged for a child but she eats very little so I guess it was the server's choice.

Before the remodel, we had the breakfast buffet and the server charged her for ala carte items because all she had was toast and milk. Don't think that is an option at the GG anymore.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #874
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

Perhaps a letter-writing campaign is in order. I am getting sick of Disney treating SOG guests like second-class citizens. Back and forth on the EMH hours, now charging us to park. I even had a CM get snippy about sending a purchase back to my room because I wasn't "technically" a Disney guest (of course he had to send it, he knew that). As for the parking, it is necessary for us to have a car and drive to the parks. Our daughter is disabled, and we need to quickly get back to our room when needed without waiting around in the heat for busses and monorails. Sometimes we park hop, and sometimes we go back to the same park twice in one day. Would we have to pay each time? Regardless, it's ridiculous. I can understand why some would now want to book a value or moderate, but I think that's just what Disney wants to acheive here. Either way, they're going to try to get more money out of us any way they can.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #875
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I seem to remember the issue being that Disney charges SOG for that privilege. I don't remember the figure thrown out there for the yearly cost, but I do remember taking that figure and dividing it by the number of rooms over 365 days, it would only have increased the overall cost of each room by a few dollars.......an amount many of us would be willing to pay.

In the past, I thought the argument was that SOG said they did not have enough people participating in EMH to make the overall cost worthwhile and that is why they removed the privilege. At least that is how I remember it, because it was 2006 and we were in the planning stages of our vacation that year. I was already making plans to switch reservations to a Disney hotel.
I love WDW as much as the next person, but I think it is horrible that they would consider taking away EMH from SOG. They need to do a better job of supporting the troops.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #876
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

If you have a problem with the new parking costs it may be more effective to contact the manager at SoG. I think that the parking and EMH are all tied into contracts SoG has with Disney. I think it is up to SoG whether they want to continue with the contracts. There is a fee involved to participate.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #877
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
If you have a problem with the new parking costs it may be more effective to contact the manager at SoG. I think that the parking and EMH are all tied into contracts SoG has with Disney. I think it is up to SoG whether they want to continue with the contracts. There is a fee involved to participate.
That's what I'm thinking too. I also think that SoG has to pay for the privilage of their guests getting EMH. Not sure about parking but wouldn't doubt it. Disney keeps nickle and dime-ing everything from strollers to parking. SoG may have just said, we don't want to play your game.

Now, EMH are still included. I don't think they've gone away. They almost went away a few years ago but SoG decided to fork over the $ to Disney. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't we still get EMH?

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #878
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

Yes, we still get EMH. The anniversary date of those contracts are Jan 1. In 2006 it was terminated on Jan 1 and reinstated on March 1. There were too many complaints when SoG let it lapse and they then worked with Disney to reinstate it.

The parking was abolished in Jan.2008 but it was not enforced until just two weeks ago. So we will have to wait for next Jan to see if EMH remains or goes away.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #879
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccabunny View Post
Sometimes we park hop, and sometimes we go back to the same park twice in one day. Would we have to pay each time?
I believe it is like stroller or locker rentals, keep the receipt and show at the next park and you don't have to pay.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #880
Minnie Lor

Quote:
Yes, we still get EMH. The anniversary date of those contracts are Jan 1. In 2006 it was terminated on Jan 1 and reinstated on March 1. There were too many complaints when SoG let it lapse and they then worked with Disney to reinstate it.

The parking was abolished in Jan.2008 but it was not enforced until just two weeks ago. So we will have to wait for next Jan to see if EMH remains or goes away.
Good to know. Thanks.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #881
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:

SOG has to pay Disney for EMH and parking privileges? I can somewhat see the parking, but don't understand what major costs are involved to Disney for SOG guests to participate in EMH. If anything, Disney is probably making more money with the extra eating and shopping by guests over a longer day. As a previous poster suggested, Disney needs to step up and support the troops. Annheuser-Busch provides 4 free tickets to military families. The least Disney could do is let SOG guests enjoy EMH and free parking without SOG incurring costs. I love Disney, but the business side of things seems to be getting greedier and pettier by the day.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #882
Minnie Lor

Quote:
Would we have to pay each time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatRob View Post
I believe it is like stroller or locker rentals, keep the receipt and show at the next park and you don't have to pay.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time.
You are correct. Per Deb Will's Allears website: Guests need only pay for parking once per day and can move from park to park that day without paying again. Show the parking receipt received at the first park to the Cast Member at the next park's tollbooths to enter the parking lot without paying an additional charge.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #883
Minnie Lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildarumpole View Post
I love Disney, but the business side of things seems to be getting greedier and pettier by the day.
Well said.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #884
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

When negotiating these contracts, SOG and Disney need to come to an agreement on the purpose and nature of the resort. Is SOG to be a place where military and other eligible personnel can have an affordable Disney vacation? Or is it going to just be like an off-site resort that's conveniently close to the parks? That seems to be the direction we're heading in.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #885
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Or is it going to just be like an off-site resort that's conveniently close to the parks?
I have to say this is what SOG will be when they hammer the final nail into the coffin by taking away EMH. This, to me, is the only real "on property" benefit we have left that separates us from an off property hotel (until they figure out a way to charge us to park at MK).

SOG states on their website under FAQ that SOG is comparable to a deluxe such as Polynesian. I agree....flowers and bushes. That is as far as it goes. Walk past the lobby and you have stepped into another dimension. Walk into the old section and you have furniture, drapes, bedspreads, and carpeting that is the same as it was when I first visited 9 years ago. Sorry, but that in no way is the same as the Polynesian.

The main selling point on the SOG website is being "on property". Yes, this is a big selling point, but they reel people in by NOT telling them all the fixins of being on property is not within our grasp.....

I was willing to accept the lack of conveniences such as carrying around not so durable tickets and not being able to use my key to charge food, etc in the parks, but when removal of my benefits is taking money out of my pocket and in addition, my rates keep increasing, it is tougher to swallow those lack of benefits. I was willing to accept a hotel that has furnishings a bit rundown and outdated because once upon a time, staying at SOG was dirt cheap. SOG really is feeling more like an ordinary hotel with no special treatment that just happens to be across the street from the Polynesian. Is this what they intended when they leased this hotel a decade ago? Maybe the remodeling project was not such a great idea. Things have gone downhill since then.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: