Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #646
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessesrule4 View Post
Just wondering - Can you see WISHES from the balconies in the New section?
Excellent question, I would like to know too. I've seen other posts saying you can see Wishes from the hot tub, but a room balcony would be sweeeet.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #647
Taubkenswife
Earning My Ears

leaving for shades of green in 6 hrs!!!

well i will post pics when i get back! i can't to get there. it's our first time at SOG and disney world. I have a three girl 5yr, 3yr and 7months. So my husband and i are really looking forward to this!!!

will post soon!

Jennifer
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #648
Disneyfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taubkenswife View Post
well i will post pics when i get back! i can't to get there. it's our first time at SOG and disney world. I have a three girl 5yr, 3yr and 7months. So my husband and i are really looking forward to this!!!

will post soon!

Jennifer
Have a wonderful time, Jennifer! I think you'll really enjoy all that extra room with your little ones. Safe travels and have a blast!

Disneyland - 15+ times since childhood
WDW - Poly/AKL 2001; SoG 2006; SoG/AKL 2008; Poly/AKV 2010; AKV/BLT 2012
Aulani - Dec 2011 and April 2012

And new DVC owner!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #649
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

I don't believe you can see the fireworks from the new section. The hot tub is near the Magnolia pool in the old section. It faces MK. The new section is at the opposite side of the resort.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #650
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Again, looking at the map website (I love satellite imaging) it appears that one sitting at the Magnolia pool (or prehaps any of the rooms facing the Magnolia Golf Course) have a pretty clean view in the direction of the castle, thanks to a fairway or two. The closest obstruction apparently is a line of trees several hundred yards away. That could account for the ability to view Wishes.

The gusets in the new section, however, have to deal with the hotel lobby area in between them and the fireworks. That obstruction is much closer and thus blocks much more of the close-to-the-horizon view.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #651
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfriend View Post
Have a wonderful time, Jennifer! I think you'll really enjoy all that extra room with your little ones. Safe travels and have a blast!
Noticed you are in Oahu. We were just there in February and had a really nice time. Seems like a real place to be stationed How long have you lived there? The military resort on the beach (forget name) reminded me of the Poly
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #652
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

We've stayed in both the old section and the new section and we could not see fireworks from our balcony in either room. In the old section we were facing the hot tub/small pool, but still couldn't see the fireworks from our room (though we could see some of the higher fireworks from the hot tub some nights).

I just wanted to tell people who haven't been before, the fireworks you can see are the higher ones, because most are blocked by trees. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up about being able to see a lot of fireworks when that's never really been the case at SOG (in my opinion).

People have said before you can see the fireworks from the parking garage, personally I haven't tried that yet.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #653
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcc View Post
The military resort on the beach (forget name) reminded me of the Poly

That would be the Hale Koa.. and *drool* LOVE that place!

as for Fireworks: One night we saw the tippy top highest ones from our ground floor room in the Old section. right above the Club House for the Golf course.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #654
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
That would be the Hale Koa.. and *drool* LOVE that place!

A great place to stay. We've been there twice!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #655
DisFlan
DIS Veteran

This sept. will be our first trip to SOG. Can someone tell me what "kitchen" things are included in the Family Suites? I know it won't have a microwave, but what about other stuff? Paper plates, small fridge, etc. Or is it just basically a coffee maker and sink type of set up?

DisFlan

SSR 9/25/09 - 10/02/09

Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #656
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Fireworks

When we stayed in the old section facing the Castle I never saw fireworks. I could hear them, not see them.

From the new section, upper floors (4 and 5) we have seen and filmed the Halloween fireworks at MK. This would be facing the pond and gazebo area.

The curve of the building does come into play with this. The last time we were on an upper floor couldn't see a thing until we went to the roof of the parking garage. I was totally confused as to which fireworks I was watching because I was turned around by that time.

Watched them last year from International Drive, 8th floor of a hotel. Night before Disney Cruise, but we didn't get to go to the parks.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #657
princessesrule4
Nope, it's your imagination. It's dark orchid tag night!

Thanks everyone for the replies about the fireworks. We won't count on seeing any - it will be a bonus if we happen to see any!
We decided to request the newer section since we will have our car and plan on driving everywhere except MK and possibly Epcot!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #658
Disneyfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcc View Post
Noticed you are in Oahu. We were just there in February and had a really nice time. Seems like a real place to be stationed How long have you lived there? The military resort on the beach (forget name) reminded me of the Poly

Yes, the Hale Koa is really lovely.

Just in case anybody on this post isn't aware of it, there is a military hotel called the Hale Koa similar to Shades of Green in Waikiki, on the island of Oahu. It is a beautiful hotel with prices slightly higher than Shades of Green. But the location in Waikiki is wonderful, right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village - fantastic beach.

As you can imagine, the place fills quickly, so you would want to book ahead. But it's a wonderful option if you're planning a vacation to Hawaii.

And for that matter, there is a rustic military camp on the Big Island in the middle of Volcano National Park. It's called Kilauea Military Camp (KMC), and has a nice woodsy/rustic feel to it.

I highly recommend both the Hale Koa and KMC to any military people wanting to stay on either Oahu or the Big Island for a reasonable rate!

Disneyland - 15+ times since childhood
WDW - Poly/AKL 2001; SoG 2006; SoG/AKL 2008; Poly/AKV 2010; AKV/BLT 2012
Aulani - Dec 2011 and April 2012

And new DVC owner!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #659
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who might not know. We were planning on buying our tickets at SOG for our upcoming trip. We are going for 13 days, so we needed 10 day Park hopper with fun and more. According to the SOG website, this would have cost us $1219 for 3 adults and 1 child. We decided to check with our local ITT office just to compare prices. Well, they were able to get the same tickets for $1177.
I just wanted to let everyone know to check all of their option before buying tickets. I know that SOG has Stars and Stripes tickets that would have cost less, but that didn't work best for us. Just wanted to share our experience.

Kim
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #660
Idroveallnight
Stop me before I volunteer again!!

Hi all! We will be leaving in a few days and I have a quick question. I thought I saw a post about EMH but have been unable to find it! Do you use your SOG room key to gain access to EMH? Or do you do something at SOG before going to the park? Any help would be great! TIA!!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: