Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #631
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowillian View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered - I hate when the threads get so long!

Has anyone eaten at the Italian restaurant there?
My family really enjoyed Mangino's. Service was excellent and the food was great. The kids meal is the best deal at Disney. It was $4.95 and they had a choice of pasta with meatballs or chicken tenders. It included a drink and ice cream. My favorite dish was the Veal Marsala, while DH raved about the Linguine with Clams. Good selection of wines at reasonable prices, too. It was also nice getting in to a TS without having to make a reservation 6 mos. in advance. There were a couple days we realized we were too tired to go back to the parks after our rest, so we called Mangino's in the late afternoon and were able to get a ressie at the time we wanted.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #632
Lowillian
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the restaurant review hildarumpole. The menu looks great. Since this is a last minute weekend trip, I knew I wouldn't have many options. We're only eating one sit down meal - Saturday night. I was able to get Kona Cafe at 5, but if we decide we don't want to eat that early, I was hoping Mangino's could be a back-up. Thank you!
*Late 60s-71 - Several Day Trips to DL (I lived in SD) *Jan 1997 - Caribbean Beach (First Trip to WDW!) *Sep 1999 - Shades of Green Sep 2000 - Shades of Green Oct 2001 - Shades of Green/Polynesian *Sep 2002 - Polynesian Dec 2002 - Polynesian *Aug 2003 - Grand Californian (Honeymoon) *Apr 2004 - Polynesian *Oct 2004 - Polynesian *Apr 2005 - Polynesian *Jan 2006 -Animal Kingdom Lodge *May 2006 - Polynesian *Oct 2006 - Polynesian *Apr 2007 - Polynesian *Aug 2007 - Grand Floridian *Shades of Green Apr 2008*Aug 2008 - Polynesian*Jul 2009 - Wilderness Lodge*Apr 2010 - Polynesian *Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #633
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

1st Timer @ SOG

For those of you who are SOG vets, can you please inform me as to which are the best rooms to book. I'm sure all of them are more than adequate, but is there one building better than the others, or are there better golf course views than pool views? I'm sure this question has been posed before, but with 25 pages, I'm getting a little woozy from reading this forum so much! Thanks!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #634
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Guess it just depends on what you're interested in. There isn't a bad view from any room. Least I haven't seen one. The old building is closer to pools and Evergreens. The new part has the parking garage. Other than that, it's a toss up.

Since the new section opened, that has been our favorite but sitting here thinking about it I really wonder why. It seems like the halls are soooo looong at the end of the day. I'm sort of thinking about the old section very fondly right now.

This is the first time since the remodel that I haven't requested a building. I may have to make a phone call in the next day or two.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #635
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Both visits, we've got the old section, facing the Magnolia pool. And loved it both times! It was wonderful, both for the adults and the kids, to watch Wishes right from our balcony!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #636
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

we, personally prefer old section as it is closer to Evergreen's and that is our nightly wind down from the parks.
the new section is closer to the parking garage..but again we don't have a car with us so it is unnecessary for us.

as for which section is further from the Poly walk or even the bus stop..couldn't tell ya. wasn't a huge deal breaker for us either way.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #637
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
as for which section is further from the Poly walk or even the bus stop..couldn't tell ya. wasn't a huge deal breaker for us either way.

Since you have to go through the lobby to get to the bus stop or Poly walk, I don't think it makes all that much difference. Being on the far end of either building will make for a long walk. If you want to save some walking time, ask for a room close to the lobby in either building.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #638
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

We're fond of the pool side rooms. All in the old section though.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #639
TBDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post
For those of you who are SOG vets, can you please inform me as to which are the best rooms to book. I'm sure all of them are more than adequate, but is there one building better than the others, or are there better golf course views than pool views?
As the others have said, it all comes down to Pools vs Parking. If you're going to be driving every day, you'll want the New Building which is attached to the parking lot. If you're going to be using the pools every day, you'll want the Old Building which has easy access to both pools.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #640
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I don't get all the posts about the distance that you have to walk. We're all walking in the parks and it doesn't really take very long to get from anywhere in SOG to the lobby or parking garage or buses. We just keep walking to the Poly or TTC most mornings. All the views are good. We've had golf course view (1998 before renovations) and pool view (2005). And you don't pay extra to not look at the parking lot.

We also "unwind" at Evergreen's in the evening with a drink or two.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #641
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
I don't get all the posts about the distance that you have to walk.
I was wondering how bad it could be. Looking at maps.live.com, and using highly sophisticated intstruments and methods (ie. comparing the length of my pen top to the scale on the map), it looks like the farthest rooms at SOG are about a 300-350 yard walk from the bus stop (the end of the old section being slightly farther than the new).

The shortest distance of any rooms in SOG seems to be about 150-200 yds (again the closest room in the new section is a bit closer).

Comparing this to nearby deluxes, it looks like staying at a remote building in the Poly or the GF would give you at least a 300 yd walk to the main entrance and monorail stations.

Other distances I measured... The walk from the SOG entrance to the main street (Floridian Way) is about 650 yds. It's then another 300 yds or so to the Poly monorail.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #642
TBDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
I don't get all the posts about the distance that you have to walk.
If you're physically fit, it's probably not a problem. But I'm a big fat guy with a bad back, and I can't spend hours on my feet every day.

The real problem isn't at the hotel. It's the parks. If you add it all up, most people probably walk a mile every morning before reaching the front gates. From there you're walking a couple miles getting from attraction to attraction. It gets tough for people that are out of shape.

We usually go to the parks in the morning, come back for a rest in the afternoon, then head back out in the evening. So all those 150+ yards each way really add up. I'm looking for any way I can shave a couple hundred yards (or 15-20 minutes on my feet) off my day.

Walking back and forth all the time to the Poly's monorail just isn't very practical for me. I like a room right next to the parking lot. That also ensures a short walk to the lobby/buses.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #643
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
I was wondering how bad it could be. Looking at maps.live.com, and using highly sophisticated intstruments and methods (ie. comparing the length of my pen top to the scale on the map), it looks like the farthest rooms at SOG are about a 300-350 yard walk from the bus stop (the end of the old section being slightly farther than the new).

The shortest distance of any rooms in SOG seems to be about 150-200 yds (again the closest room in the new section is a bit closer).

Other distances I measured... The walk from the SOG entrance to the main street (Floridian Way) is about 650 yds. It's then another 300 yds or so to the Poly monorail.
In the morning it is fine. At the end of the day after spending all day walking in the parks, getting back to the room can be a bear and a half. Many, many nights I have stopped on the way back to the room and filled a bag with ice to ease the burning of my feet. Yeah, those cute garbage and recycling cans make a great place to stick your feet and pour on the ice.

And if you happen to be at the absolute far end of the new building, it just plain sucks. Been there, it won't happen again. I make sure reservations and the front desk knows that at check in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDave View Post
If you're physically fit, it's probably not a problem. But I'm a big fat guy with a bad back, and I can't spend hours on my feet every day.

The real problem isn't at the hotel. It's the parks. If you add it all up, most people probably walk a mile every morning before reaching the front gates. From there you're walking a couple miles getting from attraction to attraction. It gets tough for people that are out of shape.

We usually go to the parks in the morning, come back for a rest in the afternoon, then head back out in the evening. So all those 150+ yards each way really add up. I'm looking for any way I can shave a couple hundred yards (or 15-20 minutes on my feet) off my day.

Walking back and forth all the time to the Poly's monorail just isn't very practical for me. I like a room right next to the parking lot. That also ensures a short walk to the lobby/buses.
My back and feet hear you. It may be a tad bit noiser closer to the lobby because of foot traffic but not that much. It isn't like some of the other resorts where you have kids and teens running up and down the halls screaming and carrying on like they have lost their minds. That is another reason we prefer SOG, we respect each other so much more.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #644
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer

Looking into returning to SOG. This will be a budget trip with our children and grandchildren. SOG seems the way to go. More space, lovely resort and friendly people.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #645
princessesrule4
Nope, it's your imagination. It's dark orchid tag night!

Just wondering - Can you see WISHES from the balconies in the New section?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: