Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #286
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Correct me if I am wrong, but sulphur/hydrogen sulphide does cause diarrhea in people who are not used to water containing higher quantities. You can do a search on hydrogen sulphide for more detailed info.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #287
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but sulphur/hydrogen sulphide does cause diarrhea in people who are not used to water containing higher quantities. You can do a search on hydrogen sulphide for more detailed info.
Hydrogen sulfide is a gas and is not found in treated water because chlorine neutralizes it. That was easily found when I searched for it, but only in high, toxic amounts does it cause multiple health problems including gastrointestinal ones. As I said I've never (nor anyone in my family) had a problem with sulphur that you could taste and smell in the town's water. But, I couldn't find anything at all when I googled Sulphur and diarrhea except that is was a cure for a certain type. If someone hadn't said something, I would have never known that there was sulphur in the water in WDW. If you want to really taste and smell sulphur in water, you need to try what I drank multiple times in TX with extended family, none of who had a problem. I had to hold my nose to drink it and nothing disguised the taste, not even kool aid.

I can find nothing but health benefits anywhere from sulphur in normal amounts. Unless you're allergic or have toxic amounts, you shouldn't notice any difference. The biggest problem anyone has is corrosion of metal in well parts and hot water heaters. And that is for people who have their own well water and don't use city water.

There are multiple reasons why someone would develop diarrhea while on vacation and just because you can taste/smell something doesn't mean that that is it. YOu may think you're eating the same way but most people on vacation eat higher fat amounts and drink more soda, alcohol, etc. All which can cause diarrhea. Sometimes it's what is not visible or identifiable that is the problem. I don't want to scare people into thinking that drinking water at WDW will make them sick, when there is no proof that it will.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13

Last edited by bdcp; 02-24-2008 at 08:49 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #288
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
If you want to really taste and smell sulphur in water, you need to try what I drank multiple times in TX with extended family, none of who had a problem. I had to hold my nose to drink it and nothing disguised the taste, not even kool aid.
Sorry to hijack the thread, that just brought back some hometown memories!

I'm from West Texas, and we had well water with VERY high suphur content. So I grew up on bottled water for everything, even cooking! My DH almost gagged the first time he visited our home and rinsed his mouth out in the shower!
Its customary when visiting another town to ask "how is the water"
Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #289
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

"There are multiple reasons why someone would develop diarrhea while on vacation and just because you can taste/smell something doesn't mean that that is it. YOu may think you're eating the same way but most people on vacation eat higher fat amounts and drink more soda, alcohol, etc. All which can cause diarrhea. Sometimes it's what is not visible or identifiable that is the problem. I don't want to scare people into thinking that drinking water at WDW will make them sick, when there is no proof that it will."

bdcp

Okay, I don't want to scare people either. BUT there is something in the water that adversely effects my family and friends. If only one or two became effected but that is not the case, we all come down with it. When different groups all have the same problem on different visits with different combinations of people and the only common ground is the water, that tells me we have a problem with the water.

Maybe other people don't, we do. Because when we stop drinking it we don't have a problem and when we do drink it (even in fountain form) bang! we have the problem. This is a consistent problem that occurs everytime we visit WDW within 48 hours, no matter the season. No matter if we stay at CR, Poly, or SoG. No matter if there are two of us or 13 of us. We have this problem. And we don't have it at home. I don't know why, it is uncomfortable, we prepare for it in advance and we still have fun.

The only thing I can compare it to is Montezuma's revenge.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #290
bgdiznee
Mouseketeer

I have a question about room location. We've stayed in the older section several times but have requested the newer section for this trip. Reading other posters TR, it seems that on a higher floor (5th) you can view some of Illuminations. I've looked at the SOG map, and I know it has to be the golf course view room, but theres no compass markings on the map or rm numbers. So, how do I word my location request? Which view, facing direction or odd/even rm numbers do I have to mention to know we will be facing toward EP? Thanks for any help with this!

BTW, I think the water everywhere in FL taste and smells FUNKY. LOL.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #291
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
"There are multiple reasons why someone would develop diarrhea while on vacation and just because you can taste/smell something doesn't mean that that is it. YOu may think you're eating the same way but most people on vacation eat higher fat amounts and drink more soda, alcohol, etc. All which can cause diarrhea. Sometimes it's what is not visible or identifiable that is the problem. I don't want to scare people into thinking that drinking water at WDW will make them sick, when there is no proof that it will."

bdcp

Okay, I don't want to scare people either. BUT there is something in the water that adversely effects my family and friends. If only one or two became effected but that is not the case, we all come down with it. When different groups all have the same problem on different visits with different combinations of people and the only common ground is the water, that tells me we have a problem with the water.

Maybe other people don't, we do. Because when we stop drinking it we don't have a problem and when we do drink it (even in fountain form) bang! we have the problem. This is a consistent problem that occurs everytime we visit WDW within 48 hours, no matter the season. No matter if we stay at CR, Poly, or SoG. No matter if there are two of us or 13 of us. We have this problem. And we don't have it at home. I don't know why, it is uncomfortable, we prepare for it in advance and we still have fun.

The only thing I can compare it to is Montezuma's revenge.
Thx for the warning suevee and everyone...really appreciate it . We will consider the source and definitely come prepared the best we can. Our large family is having a Thanksgiving grand gathering and I would hate to think we could all possbibly end up sick, after all our anticipation, planning, hopes and dreams!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
Old 02-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #292
suevee
I am in a frenzy!

We have seen the fireworks from two different sites at SoG. The first is the top of the parking garage. The second was in the old section by the Magnolia Pool and hot tub area. Both gave good views of the higher fireworks.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #293
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Good to know about the fireworks. We've rarely gotten back early enough to see them though. We did hear them once in 1995.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #294
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

I sent an email to reservations people today... we have reserved a poolside room (that I made last April).... I asked for Magnolia pool first or second floor, non handicapped.... yikes.... thats alot of requests..... hope we get it... that is our favorite area.....

Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #295
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGIED View Post
I sent an email to reservations people today... we have reserved a poolside room (that I made last April).... I asked for Magnolia pool first or second floor, non handicapped.... yikes.... thats alot of requests..... hope we get it... that is our favorite area.....
When you say you reserved a poolside room, I assume you paid extra for it. In that case, you are guaranteed a ground floor room. No need to put in a request for which floor since it is a given.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #296
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdiznee View Post
Reading other posters TR, it seems that on a higher floor (5th) you can view some of Illuminations.
Unless I'm mistaken, "Illuminations" is the name of the Epcot fireworks show. Did someone really see it all the way from SOG?!? Or do you mean "Wishes" at the Magic Kingdom?

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 02-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #297
bgdiznee
Mouseketeer

bigAWL, the TR poster clearly stated that in the newer section if you get a room on the 5th floor, certain view (which is the part I'm trying to figure out) she said you can sit on your balcony at night and see some of the Illuminations fireworks. She also said you can watch Wishes. Thats from the parking garage top level. Although I learned that from soneone else.

I would just like to know which room numbers, odd/even or what view (ie. golf course or direction) to ask for in a request. Anybody have a guess?

BTW, the OP never answered my questions about these locations. She preface the info with "its a secret". However I do believe you can see parts of both shows.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #298
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdiznee View Post
bigAWL, the TR poster clearly stated that in the newer section if you get a room on the 5th floor, certain view (which is the part I'm trying to figure out) she said you can sit on your balcony at night and see some of the Illuminations fireworks. She also said you can watch Wishes. Thats from the parking garage top level. Although I learned that from soneone else.

I would just like to know which room numbers, odd/even or what view (ie. golf course or direction) to ask for in a request. Anybody have a guess?
Wow! That's pretty cool, then. From looking at the resort layout, it looks like the side of the new section that looks out toward the Palm Golf course is facing about the SE direction. That would be looking pretty much straight toward Epcot.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #299
duketennisgal
DIS Veteran

Do most rooms have balconies? I've requested a room in the newer section and am hoping it's granted but I was just wandering if we might have a balcony as well.

Also does anybody know if there are safes in the rooms like you have in other disney resorts?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #300
suevee
I am in a frenzy!

The ground floors have patios and all other rooms have balconies. There is an onsite safe in each room as well as a small refridge.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: