Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #2386
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
My first few questions are also about the construction in the old section since that is where we are staying (pool room). Maybe I am just not understanding it right, but the last poster with a copy of the notification on the door left me confused .

1) I know they are doing renovation of the rooms. Does this mean the rooms have been gutted, or are they just redoing the bathrooms.....what exactly does this renovation consist of? I am also wondering (depending on how specific they are working) if they are removing the partitions in the rooms. I really like those as opposed to the new section. It gives the room a more "suite" feel. Are they replacing carpeting, furniture, etc as they go or are they replacing all that at the end of August?

2) What is their estimated finish date for the rooms in the old section?

3) The other poster's notice seemed to indicate replacement of furniture, carpeting, etc toward the end of August. There was mention of the hallways. Again, I am confused. Does this mean that by that time the rooms will be completed and then they will then focus on the stuff in the hallways, or does this mean that at that time they will be replacing all the old furniture and carpeting in the rooms as well. Just trying to get an idea of how finished the rooms will be and how much dust and noise we will encounter during our stay. What I request has a lot to do with the progress/location of the renovation. We will be at SOG August 7-16.

4) Are all their busses capable of transporting an ECV? If not, what is the rotation of accessibility?

5) Is there any talk of putting microwaves in the rooms in the future or the possibility of renting one?

Thanks a bunch for checking on these things for us!
I am copying the questions and adding them to my travel book. 7 more days to wait!!!!

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #2387
daisy1234
Mouseketeer

To clear up the confusion....Evergreens was open as of last week! BUT...it is closing!!!!! They will put a spa in its place. Manginos....willl be called Manginos BUT no longer is a fine dining restaurant. The menu has totally changed...basically the Evergreens menu but for dinner they have added some maybe 3 italian dishes! Sort of a combo menu...obviously the staff is disappointed...whne you make fine dining fast food the average check amount decreases and they will be running to fill cokes all night rather than a relaxed...may I pour you some more wine! Anyway...hope this helps! Garden Gallery is still the same...that is the buffet restaurant! Also, we were in the new section and have no idea about the renovation in the old section!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #2388
DrewJamShells
Earning My Ears

Is there anything else that I need to consider tipping for besides housekeeping, bell staff, and wait staff?

Also, is the Palm section considered the "new" section?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #2389
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
I am copying the questions and adding them to my travel book. 7 more days to wait!!!!
Thanks so much!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #2390
tcolling
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
With all of the changes (Evergreens/Manginos) the menus on allears.net are out of date. If it is possible, could you obtain a photocopy of the menu of the new restaurant. (Whatever they are calling it.)
Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #2391
Buddiebo
Earning My Ears

I'd like to see a copy of the menu too! Does anyone know if you can get takeout from the "new" restaurant to take over to the pool?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #2392
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcolling View Post
With all of the changes (Evergreens/Manginos) the menus on allears.net are out of date. If it is possible, could you obtain a photocopy of the menu of the new restaurant. (Whatever they are calling it.)
I was just thinking the same thing. Thanks for asking. Interested to see what the prices will be for both the Evergreens stuff and the Manginos stuff. Of course, things can change in a blink of an eye, but nice to keep track as it happens.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #2393
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Does anyone know this -

last time we were on the first floor in the old section. We loved that we had the outside seating area - espeically since we had multiple families, we coudl sit outside at night as the kids were falling asleep and we could meet up with our families. If I'm looking at a map, we were around the area of 181 / 183 We also had a very serene view (lots of trees, wild turkeys lol, very quiet)
We were nice and close to the lobby too. The only problem was the distance to the pool - but since it was winter we didnt' worry too much.It just seemed very confusing to get to the pool.

So my question is this - if we requested the new section, are the first floor rooms similiar - do they all have a little outside seating area? I understand the benefit of a higher room - with a balcony - but because there are many of us in 3 rooms it's actually like all having connecting roms to have the outside access.

Does anyone know this - what the first floor rooms are like in the new section????
Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #2394
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
- if we requested the new section, are the first floor rooms similiar - do they all have a little outside seating area? I understand the benefit of a higher room - with a balcony - but because there are many of us in 3 rooms it's actually like all having connecting roms to have the outside access.

Does anyone know this - what the first floor rooms are like in the new section????

Yes, the new section has patio's as well.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #2395
buffettgirl

do you know what the view is like - especially if we were to end up on the back side of the building...??

(never mind, just google earth'd it and it looks like the back of the building looks out onto a golf course...nice...)
Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #2396
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJamShells View Post
Is there anything else that I need to consider tipping for besides housekeeping, bell staff, and wait staff?

Also, is the Palm section considered the "new" section?

Thanks!
Not to start a flame war, or anything...

While tipping bell/wait staff is appropriate, it is good to remember that the housekeepers employed by SoG are all non-appropriated funds employees of the U.S. Army (meaning their pay, like all of the money moving-around SoG does not come from taxpayer dollars, but rather from revenue/profits generated at SoG).

That said, the SoG housekeepers all earn a better-than-average wage, and tipping with Mousekeeper envelopes isn't necessary.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #2397
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

On StitchKingdom I read about a new Family Technology Center sponsored by Raytheon Corp. that opened up at SOG on Wednesday. It's a gameroom with plasma tvs, computers, Wii, XBox and plush couches. There's nothing on the SOG website about it yet, but did notice Evergreen's is no longer listed. Wonder where it's located. If anyone is going soon, I'm sure we'd all appreciate feedback about it. Sounds like a fun spot.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #2398
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
Not to start a flame war, or anything...

While tipping bell/wait staff is appropriate, it is good to remember that the housekeepers employed by SoG are all non-appropriated funds employees of the U.S. Army (meaning their pay, like all of the money moving-around SoG does not come from taxpayer dollars, but rather from revenue/profits generated at SoG).

That said, the SoG housekeepers all earn a better-than-average wage, and tipping with Mousekeeper envelopes isn't necessary.
No flames from me. I used to work as a housekeeper (even 20 years ago we made several dollars more than minimum wage) for several chain hotels and I never tip housekeeping and never will. If you want to do something nice for them worth much more than a few bucks, tell them to skip your room for the day.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #2399
wlvsfnz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
do you know what the view is like - especially if we were to end up on the back side of the building...??

(never mind, just google earth'd it and it looks like the back of the building looks out onto a golf course...nice...)
We were at SOG in November and had a view of the golf course in the new section. It was very beautiful and quiet. If someone can tell me how to add a picture, I can show you the view from our room.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #2400
buffettgirl

you would upload your picture to a photo host like Photobucket.com and then use the links provided there, and paste that link here.

I'd love to see your pic! I was thinking (and I know I'm overthinking) that staying on the golf course side would be nice because it's not facing west - so in the afternoons there would be shade....

Could you tell me what room you were in? And how long do you estimate that it took you to get from 1)your room to the buses 2)your room to the pool area

Thanks for any help you have.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: