Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #2371
Buddiebo
Earning My Ears

Great news that Evergreens is still open! Maybe those going there in the near future can update us on its status.

I'll be heading there March 23-30th!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #2372
vicki845
DIS Veteran

military discount

I'm tryng to find out if we are eligible for the discount. Can someone clarify what the word retired means? The description states retired from active duty.Would that be the same as discharged? It doesn't sounds like it. My husband was discharged after serving seven years in the Marines. Does that mean he is eligible for the discount or not. I ask cm on the phone but she didn't know. Help!
2009-CSR and free dining
2011-CSR and hopefully free dining!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #2373
dogodisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki845 View Post
I'm tryng to find out if we are eligible for the discount. Can someone clarify what the word retired means? The description states retired from active duty.Would that be the same as discharged? It doesn't sounds like it. My husband was discharged after serving seven years in the Marines. Does that mean he is eligible for the discount or not. I ask cm on the phone but she didn't know. Help!
No discharged and retired are too different things.

Your husband does not qualify.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #2374
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure but I think your DH would have to be medically discharged to be eligible.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #2375
Bay Hill
Top Gear

>>Now for the million dollar question.......Why would they have a microwave in the laundry room? That seems like such an odd place. Don't they have an unused room or an empty space in a room somewhere? I would like to see microwaves in each guest room or at least make them available to guests for a fee if they want one. I know I looked up info on a WDW resort concerning the 40% off deal and saw that a microwave could be requested.<<

I think it is a fire code violation if the microwaves are in the guest room.

It's somewhere in the SOG newsletter.

Agree with buffettgirl that the food is bad, but the beer is good :

Sheraton Inn Lakeside...11/97
Honeymoon..Hyatt MCO/Radisson Twin Towers (US)/ Dolphin...3/99
Dolphin...11/00

Radisson Twin Towers (US) / Dolphin...11/01
Dolphin..12/02
Hilton WDW / Dolphin 12/03
Swan...11/04
Shades Of Green / Swan...11/05
Dolphin / Sovereign of the Seas / Swan...11/06
Shades Of Green / Sovereign of the Seas / Swan...11/07
Hilton WDW / Shades of Green...11/08
Swan / Monarch of the Seas / Swan / Grandeur of the Seas...12/09
Dolphin/ Freedom of the Seas/Sheraton Safari LBV...12/10
Swan / Monarch of the Seas...9/11
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #2376
GrumpyOne
Stresspuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think your DH would have to be medically discharged to be eligible.
It takes a service disability rated at 100% if one of the other criteria aren't met.

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/eligibility.htm
DL: (72, 75, 80, 84, 96, 99) WDW: (81, 98, 01, 07, 09) Upcoming: Oct 2011, HK DL
2002-2009: HK, S'Pore, Thai, Indo, JP, Kor, Tai, NZ, GR, Pol, UK, FR, MS, PI, EG (No time for WDW )
Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #2377
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
If he is retired or medically discharged with enough disablity he will have a valid id card. My DH has a medical retirement with 30% disability and we can still use all military services. He and I each have retiree ID cards and they look the same as any other retiree ID card.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #2378
vicki845
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogodisney View Post
No discharged and retired are too different things.

Your husband does not qualify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOne View Post
It takes a service disability rated at 100% if one of the other criteria aren't met.

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/eligibility.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
If he is retired or medically discharged with enough disablity he will have a valid id card. My DH has a medical retirement with 30% disability and we can still use all military services. He and I each have retiree ID cards and they look the same as any other retiree ID card.

No he does not quailfy then. Thank you!
2009-CSR and free dining
2011-CSR and hopefully free dining!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #2379
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post

Does anyone have any questions (other that Evergreens status) that we could research for you?
My first few questions are also about the construction in the old section since that is where we are staying (pool room). Maybe I am just not understanding it right, but the last poster with a copy of the notification on the door left me confused .

1) I know they are doing renovation of the rooms. Does this mean the rooms have been gutted, or are they just redoing the bathrooms.....what exactly does this renovation consist of? I am also wondering (depending on how specific they are working) if they are removing the partitions in the rooms. I really like those as opposed to the new section. It gives the room a more "suite" feel. Are they replacing carpeting, furniture, etc as they go or are they replacing all that at the end of August?

2) What is their estimated finish date for the rooms in the old section?

3) The other poster's notice seemed to indicate replacement of furniture, carpeting, etc toward the end of August. There was mention of the hallways. Again, I am confused. Does this mean that by that time the rooms will be completed and then they will then focus on the stuff in the hallways, or does this mean that at that time they will be replacing all the old furniture and carpeting in the rooms as well. Just trying to get an idea of how finished the rooms will be and how much dust and noise we will encounter during our stay. What I request has a lot to do with the progress/location of the renovation. We will be at SOG August 7-16.

4) Are all their busses capable of transporting an ECV? If not, what is the rotation of accessibility?

5) Is there any talk of putting microwaves in the rooms in the future or the possibility of renting one?

Thanks a bunch for checking on these things for us!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #2380
daisy1234
Mouseketeer

Just Back!!!

We had a wonderful stay at SOG! We were in room 1115 and 1116 connecting! We loved the bus system! I loved how friendly the drivers were...They were especially great with the folks using the scooters ...they boarded first...The buses have a ramp that the driver extends out electronically....you drive up and your ready to roll! most seemed to transfer to a seat and the driver would secure the vehicle. It was very easy riding the bus to the TTC then going on the monorail! A few times we called the bell guy and hopped on the shady shuttle to the poly...basically to make it to rope drop! But the buses may jhave made it! They left at 8:30 and teh park opened at 9 am...it is amazing how close you are ...we forgot we are actually on disney property! We were sad ...very sad that Manginos closed...seems that the staff really misses the fine dining as well! The menu in Manginos is basically the Evergreens menu with a couple italian specialties. We ate there and really were not impressed and we had poor service that night...but I think it is the waitress is trying to transition to the different menu and apparently they are busier with the evergreens menu! We LOVED the buffet! It was food that everyone can eat....though not gormet...I was happy they had mixed greens on the salad bar!!! The kids loved the food!!! We loved the quality for the price!!! The Mickey Waffles in the am were awesome...and yes they did taste better than the round ones!!! They were moist inside and crunchy outside! The coffee here was drinkable!!! I really am so happy that we had this restaurant...it saved us a bundle! Children 4 and up are only 4 bucks!!!

The coffee in the rooms is VERY BAD!!!!! But we brought a can of our fav columbian from home and the pot was great!!! I have heard the starbucks was good!

We did swim in the 72 degree weather....the water felt great...just cold when getting out!

Overall we had a great stay and we would recommend this hotel! I loved the Mickey in the front!!!!...great touch!

My only regret was not staying a couple more days...a company is sponsoring a character breakfast outside on the tennis couts this week!!! Free for all SOG guests...you have to call the desk to register!!! They are having 2 seatings!!! I think it is tomorrow!!! Bummer...we are home today!!!!

Enjoy! I'll try to check if anyone has questions!!!

PS...a great thing to do on a day off...go to the poly and rent the mini motor boat....the kids LOVED it!!! It was $60 for 1 hour!!! Soooo worth it and we got great pictures!!!

We met a lot of great military families!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #2381
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

so explain? Which restaurants are open and which are closed?

There were 3 before:
Manginos
Garden Gallery
Evergreens

The website now only lists Manginos and Garden Gallery. Evergreens is no longer listed on the SOG website, but yesterday someone posted that it was still open.

So, which is it?? I"m so confused now.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #2382
princessfionasmom
DIS Veteran

Airport

Oops!
2/02 ASSp - 5/03 offsite -5/04 Pop - 9/04 DCL - 5/06 Pop - 3/07 SOG - 12/08 SSR/POP - 10/09 BLT/OKW - 06/10 BWV/BLT 01/11 BLT - 1/2 Marathon 09/12 celebrate DH's recovery from BMT & 15 yr wedding anniversary! 05/13 Expedition Everest 5k w/DS 10/13 GFV Adult only W&D

Last edited by princessfionasmom; 02-10-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #2383
princessfionasmom
DIS Veteran

Airport Transportation

For those of you who are interested, there is a public transportation bus that goes from TTC to the airport and vice versa. The link to the thread were I found the information is below. I believe the OP said it was like $2 and takes about 70mins. It stops at FL mall on the way. Certainly a great cost effective alternative for those who need it, probably not for those with littles ones. Although had I known about this a few years ago when we stayed at SOG I would have used it with my little ones to save the $ from the rental car that sat in the parking garage the whole time we where there. I'm not one to drive to the parks.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2084827

It's been a while since I've read thru this thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned before.
2/02 ASSp - 5/03 offsite -5/04 Pop - 9/04 DCL - 5/06 Pop - 3/07 SOG - 12/08 SSR/POP - 10/09 BLT/OKW - 06/10 BWV/BLT 01/11 BLT - 1/2 Marathon 09/12 celebrate DH's recovery from BMT & 15 yr wedding anniversary! 05/13 Expedition Everest 5k w/DS 10/13 GFV Adult only W&D
Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 AM   #2384
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy1234 View Post
We loved the bus system! I loved how friendly the drivers were...They were especially great with the folks using the scooters ...they boarded first...The buses have a ramp that the driver extends out electronically....you drive up and your ready to roll! most seemed to transfer to a seat and the driver would secure the vehicle. .
Thanks for the information. It helps to know they are patient with those who have additional needs on the busses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy1234 View Post
We were sad ...very sad that Manginos closed...seems that the staff really misses the fine dining as well! The menu in Manginos is basically the Evergreens menu with a couple italian specialties. We ate there and really were not impressed and we had poor service that night...but I think it is the waitress is trying to transition to the different menu and apparently they are busier with the evergreens menu!
I am not quite understanding your report. Everyone kept saying Evergreens was closing, but would basically share the space that Mangino's does. This seems to be your description, but you say it is actually Mangino's that closed and the Evergreens menu contains a few Mangino's dishes. So, are we to understand that Mangino's location is now called Evergreens?

Either way, I just don't see how you can mix a kitchen with 2 widely different cuisines unless you were dumbing down the recipes of the Italian dishes. From the way another guest described the chef of Mangino's, I doubt he would have accepted sharing a kitchen with a fast food joint.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:49 AM   #2385
Sleepy

Daisy1234
Do you have any details about the current renovation in the old wing?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: