Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #1966
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatRob View Post
Over at AKL it just seemed so loud in the lobby area and down the halls. People yelling and running up and down the hallways. Oh, my favorite: the folks who actually stretched out on the sofas in the lobby and napped!! And those were "adults" not kids.
Guess I'm used to that!! We have these absolutely immaculate lounges at OU...and people were always sleeping on the couches.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #1967
jb.brooks
Mouseketeer

tickets

Anyone from APG planning a trip soon. Either PM me or better yet send e-mail To JBbrooks2@verizon.net.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #1968
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

We're HERE!

Hi all!

We are at SOG now and are LOVING IT!!! We brought the cold weather with us as it is now 53 degrees -- and we just got out of the pool! The hot tub was so good I wanted to sleep there. Very relaxing after a long day

For those of you who were bad-mouthing the resort -- Shame on you!

The bus service is fine -- it has been on time every time (or a little early, I believe our watches don't match their clocks -- but only by 3 - 5 mins). The buses are clean & not old & bad as others have said. We have plenty of space & the room is clean. We have not walked to the Poly but have ridden the Shady Shuttle. I only wish we could call the Shady Shuttle to pick us up from the Poly On our way back from TTC tonight (we went to Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary) the bus stopped at the entrance and picked up a family walking from the Poly.

Sorry, I get a little long-winded at times. I've been told to shut down the computer & go to bed DH & DD are exhausted. I WAS until I got into the hot tub. If I could bottle how relaxed I am and sell it, I would be rich

Take care!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m8tdf7jdhygbu.png[/img]

Me DH DD
Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #1969
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinBelle View Post
Hi all!

We are at SOG now and are LOVING IT!!! We brought the cold weather with us as it is now 53 degrees -- and we just got out of the pool! The hot tub was so good I wanted to sleep there. Very relaxing after a long day

For those of you who were bad-mouthing the resort -- Shame on you!

The bus service is fine -- it has been on time every time (or a little early, I believe our watches don't match their clocks -- but only by 3 - 5 mins). The buses are clean & not old & bad as others have said. We have plenty of space & the room is clean. We have not walked to the Poly but have ridden the Shady Shuttle. I only wish we could call the Shady Shuttle to pick us up from the Poly On our way back from TTC tonight (we went to Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary) the bus stopped at the entrance and picked up a family walking from the Poly.

Sorry, I get a little long-winded at times. I've been told to shut down the computer & go to bed DH & DD are exhausted. I WAS until I got into the hot tub. If I could bottle how relaxed I am and sell it, I would be rich

Take care!
Thanks for posting!! Very excited to be there in a couple weeks!!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #1970
wlvsfnz
Earning My Ears

We just returned from our first trip to SOG green yesterday (Nov 9 - 17)and we LOVED it!!! We are definately looking forward to our next trip there.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. We had a golf course view in the new section and every morning they were out there taking care of the greens.

DH and I were a bit worried because of some of the bad things we had read on the board, but everything for us turned out great. The food at the Garden Gallery wasn't bad. We had breakfast there three mornings, we couldn't beat the price at $8.95 a person. We also ate dinner there once, it was pretty good too. The price was about $18.00 or $19.00 a person for dinner. We wanted to try Manginos, but it is closed until November 21. They are refurbishing it.

We at Evergreens a couple of times, the food there is just o.k. As my DH says "it fills the hole".

The staff was very friendly. Everytime we saw a staff member they greeted us with a "good morning" or a friendly "hello". We had no problem checking in. We went to the counter, checked in and were on way in less than 10 minutes.

The bus service wasn't bad at all. If you watch the bus schedule, you'll be fine. It is pretty easy actually. They ran every hour on the half hour for all of the parks. The TTC bus runs every 15 to 20 minutes. We did go to the Poly, but that was because we decided to take the Monerail to Epcot and MK.

The weather was great at the beginning of the week. It rained towards the end, but we still enjoyed ourselves. It was between 85 & 90 until Sunday. It was only a high of 64! Although I would take that over what we came home to, SNOW! That's Chicago in November for you.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #1971
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great time!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #1972
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Glad everyone is having a great time.... I really want to go back but we need to buy braces and a new garage first.... 2013 for us So, until then, I'll just be reading the SOG thread....

D~
Old 11-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #1973
Idroveallnight
Stop me before I volunteer again!!

We will be back at SoG over Thanksgiving. I want to be sure about Evergreen's - since it is a restaurant is it OK for kids to eat there? We only did take out last trip! I have promised DS we will watch the Alabama/Auburn game and I need to be sure of our location. TIA!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #1974
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Sure, kids are always welcome
Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #1975
Idroveallnight
Stop me before I volunteer again!!

Thanks for the quick answer! I say my DS, but I think my DD and other members of our group will be right there watching too! Thanks again!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #1976
Bay Hill
Top Gear

Cool

Just back after 6 days..2 @ SOG and 4 @ Hilton WDW...

Too cold! Kind of a damper in the morning when frost warnings are north of Orlando. Wanted to use pool

Shades...Check in @ 0930. Parking Garage was like a ghost town, talking to staff, expecting 100% next week. Room 3147 new section, overlooking 9th green of Palm course, great view and got the room as requested. Evergreen's has $6 pitchers and $2 drafts from 17-19 and 22 to close. Should also offer it on appers. Onion Rings are now "served" in a basket, no more 1/2 orders. Also no more ribeye sandwich. More seating since gameroom moved to front of the bar area. Rode Shady Shuttle and got prompt service to Poly. Did not use bus, but Shades did get newer buses and look great. Did think that AAFES charged too much on beer. Got 5.36 for 6 pack at Wal-Mart compared to 7.75 @ AAFES. Guest Services was great, printed our boarding passes. Did not dine at Gallery, Italian rest out of commission until December, also Ice Cream secured until next week.

As for the rooms, Shades should "invest" in getting 200 + count bedsheets and spreads. Royal Caribbean uses it and has gotten favorable reviews since switching in 2007. I know it's MWR funded, and also get flat screens in the rooms. Also, the depenser in the shower is tacky. Got to see Stacy on the TV too!

Overall, a good stay for the money. Now to plan for 2009.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #1977
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Wow only 6 days until your trip! I'm not here much, so have a great time!
Thx bunches! We're packing up and so excited can hardly wait!

Piglet4ever, LuvinBelle, wlvsfnz and Bay Hill, thx bunches for the updates ! Wonderful to hear the great reviews ! It's been a long time coming, but our time has almost arrived and I am beaming over with joy to be headed south to share Thanksgiving with my wonderful family and !!

Our family is headed out tomorrow pm to take advantage of AP's park and fly pre night stay as we have early morn flight. If I don't get a chance to ck back in, I'd like to thank each and everyone for all the great advise, it's been great ! You all have help keep my spirits up while planning and anticipating our 'dream come true' trip for so long ! Everyone have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving !!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #1978
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nana View Post
Thx bunches! We're packing up and so excited can hardly wait!

Piglet4ever, LuvinBelle, wlvsfnz and Bay Hill, thx bunches for the updates ! Wonderful to hear the great reviews ! It's been a long time coming, but our time has almost arrived and I am beaming over with joy to be headed south to share Thanksgiving with my wonderful family and !!

Our family is headed out tomorrow pm to take advantage of AP's park and fly pre night stay as we have early morn flight. If I don't get a chance to ck back in, I'd like to thank each and everyone for all the great advise, it's been great ! You all have help keep my spirits up while planning and anticipating our 'dream come true' trip for so long ! Everyone have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving !!
I am so excited for you... it's finally your turn!!!

I hope you all have a wonderful trip and a happy Thanksgiving! Safe travels! Please come back to tell us all about your trip when you return.

D~
Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #1979
monicastanner
Mouseketeer

Just found this thread. We've stayed at SOG about 8 times and love it! We've taken my brother & sister in law there, plus my parents several times. Everyone has fantastic things to say. My parents WAY prefer it to all other Disney resorts. (including value, moderates and deluxe)

For years I called and waited until they were full, for them to send me to a Disney Resort for 40% off. We figured the resort was just alright. About 4 years ago we decided to give it a shot for one night while headed to Port Canaveral. We loved it at first site, were completely impressed and proud that the government had done right by the military on this one!!

The rooms are HUGE, HUGE in comparison to any Disney resort we've stayed at. We've always had beautiful views. The only time we didn't have stay right on the golf courses, we had a room that opened right by a little pond filled with frogs and fish, was very pretty. The golf course views are fantastic. We play golf, though I haven't played there yet. Hubby has played and loves all the courses there. (2 there and 2 or 3 elsewhere on property) He loves to sit on balcony and just watch when we have an extra minute or two.

The wild turkeys are a hoot and when we stayed on the bottom floor, we had to shoo them from coming in our door!! So funny! The walk to Poly isn't bad to catch the monorail, we've done that. We've also had the Shady bus pick us up on the way walking back once or twice. We use Shady bus most of the time and have never had a problem. The fridge in the room is nice and the TV has all sorts of computer, game and movie features. The bathrooms are huge and so well stocked.

The staff is always amazingly friendly. The buffet breakfast is a great deal. We've also picked up yummy muffins from the muffin/coffee cart do hickey several times. We've done the dinner buffet a few times too. It's not 5 star, but it's a good value and good food. The grill (whatever it's name is) was OK when we ate there for lunch a few times. Easy to run in and grab something while hanging by the pool. Love the big ole' pool, didn't use the smaller one.
The lobby is so warm and welcoming, I love the big ole fireplace!

Our only complaint is the lack of lunch choices and lack of places to find something to eat at night. The ice cream shop is randomly open in the evenings, but other than that you are out of luck. I missed the Disney Resort late food courts or shops for that kind of thing. The shops @ Shades close pretty early.

That isn't a reason to keep us away though. We go back when we can and mainly because we love it, not for the value. We stay at Disney resorts due to deals and value, plus the fun themes they offer from time to time too.

Just wanted to ramble about my 2 cents a little.
1999-2010 = 21 trips & counting, on property with hubby, friends & family too!
Contemporary 2Xs, Caribbean Beach 1X, Pop 1X, All Star Sports 3Xs, Port Orleans FQ 2X's, Port Orleans Riverside 4X, Shades of Green 8Xs
Disney Wonder 2Xs - Sept. 05 & Sept. 07[/FONT]
Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #1980
Poohbeck
DIS Veteran

airport now

OK, so we are at the airport now waiting to board. We are very early.

The SOG was absolutley wonderful! It had some new things since we were there in 2004.

There was a Patriotic Mickey Mouse in the lobby given to the SOG by Disney in 2005. Who says there is no Disney themeing at Shades! It was really cute, great photo op. Another new thing for us was the ice cream show, the coffee kiosk near AAFES and the kiosks in the lobby area.

Check-in and check-out were fine.
The hotel was a ghost town until yesterday!
The hotel was decorated for Christmas, had holiday music playing. The big Christmas tree was being put up today! It was beautiful.

The buffet at the Garden Gallery was fine. It had staples for our family breakfast. Coffee, fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, bagels, waffles, Mickey waffles, bacon, etc... There was nothing elaborate about it, but, for our family of 4, with tip it only cost us $36 for breafast. We went to Chef Mickey's one day and it was definelty stepped up a few notches, had characters, but cost us $120 with tip. So, Evergreens was fine for us.

We ate dinner at Evergreens once. It was the best burger I had while at Disney. Again, the price was right. We also ordered a pizza one night for us. We had a late lunch, went to DTD and then headed back to the room around 8pm and ate pizza. Perfect for us.

Well, if anyone has any quesitons please let me know.

Luvinbelle, I looked for you. But, rarely saw anyone until yesterday!

Shades of Green - November 2008 for MVMCP
Fantasy World Villas - February 2006 - Non-Disney trip - Sea World, NASA & Busch Gardens
Shades of Green - November 2004 - Celebrated 10 year Anniversary a bit early
Shades of Green - April 2000
- 5 year Anniversary

Port Orleans - April 1995 - Honeymoon

Caribbean Beach Resort - March 1993
- College graduation gift to myself

Somewhere Off Site - Spring 1988 - High School Senior Trip

DH 42 (celebrated 40th at Disney!) Me- 40 (celebrated 40th on train going home from Orlando)
DS12 DS14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: