Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #1951
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Has anyone tried the daily Sunrise breakfast pkg and could explain how it works? I called SOG for info and somehow got confused!

Thx bigAWL, really enjoying your photos!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #1952
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nana View Post
Has anyone tried the daily Sunrise breakfast pkg and could explain how it works? I called SOG for info and somehow got confused!

Thx bigAWL, really enjoying your photos!
The only thing I know (because I did the math) is you are not saving a dime by using this package. Even the included gift certificate is paid fully by you. I suppose it is convenient if you don't want to deal with cash each breakfast, but if you can't find anything in the gift shop you want, you have wasted money.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #1953
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
The only thing I know (because I did the math) is you are not saving a dime by using this package. Even the included gift certificate is paid fully by you. I suppose it is convenient if you don't want to deal with cash each breakfast, but if you can't find anything in the gift shop you want, you have wasted money.
Thx Sleepy, I appreciate your help! Think we'll pass, also have other ADR's, so really don't want to be obligated to have breakfast at SOG daily.
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
Old 11-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #1954
Piglet4Ever
Navy Wife, toughest job in the Navy!!!!!!

Just got back from our WDW vacation. We stayed at SOG again and loved it. Brought Dh's family with us and they really loved it too. Can't wait to go back again, gotta talk DH into it, haha....
Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #1955
hharris
Earning My Ears

Prefer SOG?

Does anyone here prefer SOG to disney hotels? Or is it more of a cost thing? Or both? I guess I am wondering, if it wasn't for the cost, would you rather stay somewhere else on disney property?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #1956
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Afvc

Actually I prefer Shades - but to another topic.

We just got back from a trip where we stayed in a timeshare through AFVC. I posted the following on the Orlando board because it deals a lot with the specific resort we stayed at, but everyone here also qualifies for AFVC. It's a great, cheap alternative. I do love Shades though.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post28739065
Old 11-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #1957
Poohbeck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsammy5 View Post

We just got back from a trip where we stayed in a timeshare through AFVC. I posted the following on the Orlando board because it deals a lot with the specific resort we stayed at, but everyone here also qualifies for AFVC. It's a great, cheap alternative. I do love Shades though.

So, was it a nice place??
I remember reading your post months ago about you renting through AFVC. We have booked a townhouse through the AFVC for April down in Williamsburg, VA. That will be my next trip to plan after WDW.

Shades of Green - November 2008 for MVMCP
Fantasy World Villas - February 2006 - Non-Disney trip - Sea World, NASA & Busch Gardens
Shades of Green - November 2004 - Celebrated 10 year Anniversary a bit early
Shades of Green - April 2000
- 5 year Anniversary

Port Orleans - April 1995 - Honeymoon

Caribbean Beach Resort - March 1993
- College graduation gift to myself

Somewhere Off Site - Spring 1988 - High School Senior Trip

DH 42 (celebrated 40th at Disney!) Me- 40 (celebrated 40th on train going home from Orlando)
DS12 DS14
Old 11-16-2008, 02:47 AM   #1958
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharris View Post
Does anyone here prefer SOG to disney hotels? Or is it more of a cost thing? Or both? I guess I am wondering, if it wasn't for the cost, would you rather stay somewhere else on disney property?
I've never stayed at another on-property resort. But for me, if price were the same, I think I would definitely want to stay at a monorail resort. I'd probably have to fight my wife over which one - I'd prefer the Poly and she the Grand Floridian.

I think the convenience of the monorail would make it an easy choice for us, as we by far spend most time at the MK and Epcot. A quick hop on the monorail beats walking or bussing just to get to the monorail. Then I know I prefered Kona Cafe to anything at SOG - but then again cost is a factor here. Edit: it might be useful to note here that I'm not a coffee drinker, so I'm not counting Starbucks.

All that said, because of the cost, there's no way I would consider staying anywhere other than SOG. I much prefer the location, size, and style of SOG to the comparably priced Disney resorts.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 11-16-2008, 03:01 AM   #1959
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

SOG has a lot of what we are looking for. If we can find a Disney resort that has the following, we would stay somewhere else.

Totally inside (meaning you don't have to go outside to get from your room to the lobby)
Balcony or patio
Not crawling with unruly children
Super quiet
Close to a monorail for transportation backup
Within our budget
Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 AM   #1960
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nana View Post
Thx Sleepy, I appreciate your help! Think we'll pass, also have other ADR's, so really don't want to be obligated to have breakfast at SOG daily.
Wow only 6 days until your trip! I'm not here much, so have a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet4Ever View Post
Just got back from our WDW vacation. We stayed at SOG again and loved it. Brought Dh's family with us and they really loved it too. Can't wait to go back again, gotta talk DH into it, haha....
Welcome Back! So glad everyone had a good time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharris View Post
If it weren't for owning DVC, (which we bought because SOG prices will continue to steadily go up just like on-property prices ), we would stay at SOG every time! We will be adding SOG days to our DVC stay this year. We love the size of the room, the quiet and convenience. I also feel the transportation within the world is the best! Now if we can just get a good way to get there from the airport.

Quote:

AFVC is great! We booked a beautiful two bedroom lock-off condo in vegas for $800 for 7 days and shared it with friends. They had a really nice pool and lobby with activities and shuttle service to the strip! It's hard to get a studio in Vegas for $100/night!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #1961
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
SOG has a lot of what we are looking for. If we can find a Disney resort that has the following, we would stay somewhere else.

Totally inside (meaning you don't have to go outside to get from your room to the lobby)
Balcony or patio
Not crawling with unruly children
Super quiet
Close to a monorail for transportation backup
Within our budget
Sleepy nailed it. I have stayed at AKL, Contemporary, and All-Stars and this is the only place I want to stay.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #1962
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

Quote:

Great review, thanks for sharing I even showed it to my husband.

As for choosing SOG over other Disney resorts.....always SOG. We love walking back into the quiet SOG lobby vs. loudness of other Disney resorts.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #1963
GJM
DIS Veteran

I prefer SOG -

I love the quiet at SOG after a day in the parks, it just never seems that crowded.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #1964
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Granted I haven't stayed at SoG yet, but I didn't experience all this noise when we were at the Poly in May/June. We were even in Rarotonga (just outside the Great Ceremonial House), so I assumed we'd hear everything. The downstairs lobby, even with the cartoons and kids' activities going, was relaxing and peaceful. It only got slightly louder upstairs with the noise of the restaurants. The quiet pool was exactly that, and the volcano pool was pretty pleasant. Evenings on the beach were Heaven!!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #1965
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Since we use SOG most of the time, I was shocked at some of the antics that went on at the other places.
I remember several times at CR thinking, this just would not happen at SOG. Teens throwing ice from the tower at people walking below. Real nice. Absolutely running wild all over the area from the building to the lagoon. As much as I liked the convience of the monorail, I'm not sure I would chose to stay there again.
Over at AKL it just seemed so loud in the lobby area and down the halls. People yelling and running up and down the hallways. Oh, my favorite: the folks who actually stretched out on the sofas in the lobby and napped!! And those were "adults" not kids.

Honestly, All-Stars didn't seem bad at all compared to what we saw at the "higher end" resorts. I just want enclosed hallways and not having to hike forever to get to the bus and that incredibly long walk back at night. At least the walk back at SOG is inside and on carpet.

Guess the matra at SOG is: RESPECT

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: