Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #1936
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalSnowWhite View Post
Yep...just like Holiday Inn. From the looks of your picture titles, we were there at the same time! We were at the Poly from May 27-June 2. We scouted out SoG on June 1. The bartender in the lobby had no idea what an AAFES store was and told us they didn't have one.
Yep, we were there May 25-31, and then drove to the port to get on the Disney Cruise. It was our first trip. (Well, actually I stayed there when I was about 6 years old and it was called the Golf Resort.)

Was there really a bartender in the lobby?

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 11-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #1937
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Here are a couple more of the pool areas. First is the Magnolia Pool. Our room was in the old section overlooking this pool and we had a good view of the Wishes fireworks (at least the high ones). We had connecting rooms - I think numbers 302 and 303.

This is the Mill Pond pool area. Prominent in the forground is the kids wading pool and beyond that is the "Mickey" pool and Evergreens.

1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland

Last edited by bigAWL; 11-24-2008 at 10:42 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #1938
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
Yep, we were there May 25-31, and then drove to the port to get on the Disney Cruise. It was our first trip. (Well, actually I stayed there when I was about 6 years old and it was called the Golf Resort.)

Was there really a bartender in the lobby?
Yep...it was a little portable job, but I'm 99% sure I saw some liquor on his cart (in addition to coffee, maybe?). I may have a picture somewhere...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #1939
TroyE
Mouseketeer

The pictures are awesome. This must be a nice time of year to swim in Orlando.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #1940
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyE View Post
The pictures are awesome. This must be a nice time of year to swim in Orlando.
Just to reiterate, those pictures are from our trip in late May 2008. I don't know how the swimming is in November.

1989 .......... Offsite?

Future Plans:

Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #1941
KatRob
Mouseketeer

January has been fine for swimming. Oh course, all the moms watching kids had on jackets (and it as evening). Come to think of it, mine has gone swimming in Nov. and didn't think it was bad at all. Isn't the pool heated anyway? It's just the walk back to the far side of the hotel that gets nippy.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #1942
Pluto_fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharris View Post
So hopefully someone can give me an honest answer to this question. Would this be a good place for a honeymoon? My fiance and I are looking to be there possibly next September, but from what I can tell on the website, there are really no "suites" for two people, just family suites. Also, does anyone have any pictures of the rooms in the newer part of the resort?

Thanks for the help!
hharris,
Congratulations on you upcoming marriage, and to the DIS!

I'd say that as far as a honeymoon destination, SOG has its pros and cons.
Pros, it's a beautiful resort (love the pictures, BigAWL! ), very peaceful and quiet.
Cons, no rooms with one king size bed--all rooms have two queens; no in-room jacuzzi tubs or anything like that.

Have you definitely decided on a WDW honeymoon? You could look into some of the Disney-owned hotels and see if any of the themes really jump out at you. Price-wise, the moderates are comparable to SOG (depending on your SOG rate category), but the rooms are much smaller, though you could get a king-size bed. And you'd need to consider your tolerance for kid-noise, although in September that would probably be less of a problem.

I know there are room pictures on the SOG website, although they don't tell you which are the new and which are the old rooms. Someone on this thread can help you if you have specific questions about them. Happy planning!
Disneyland Aug 2006, daytrip Mar 1989, daytrip Jun 1985, daytrip
Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #1943
KatRob
Mouseketeer

There is a way to tell which rooms are the old ones and which are the new ones: The unremodeled rooms have small walls seperating the sleeping area from the "sitting" area. The top row of pics on the SOG website show the new rooms and the pics on the second row are from the older section. To me, not having the wall really opens up the room and makes it feel a little bigger.

I know you didn't seem interested in the family suites, but they do have king size beds if that makes a difference. And of course, the price is always a big difference. I was making a ressie one day for just me and my DD and the agent asked if I wanted a suite, I'm thinking: two people? suite? get out of here!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #1944
hharris
Earning My Ears

How do I get a quote through the SOG website for tickets with the no expiration option? Under the descriptions of each ticket, it says "expires _ days after use." Does anyone know about this?

Thanks for the responses on the rooms/honeymoon! We are still looking in to other disney hotels, but for what we want to spend, this may be the best option.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #1945
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

For your honeymoon you could get a suite as SoG for what you would pay for a room at Wilderness Lodge or AK. I think the suites are around $250 per night. The suites have king size beds and it would be nice to have a sitting room with a designated eating area for the wine and snacks.......

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #1946
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How do I get a quote through the SOG website for tickets with the no expiration option? Under the descriptions of each ticket, it says "expires _ days after use." Does anyone know about this?
They first show the special Stars and Stripes tickets which I don't think have a no-expiration option.

If you click a link at the bottom of that page you'll see this page: http://www.shadesofgreen.org/WDW.htm

Pick the number of days, and click the corresponding drop-down box on the right hand side to see the prices for Adult or Child tickets and all the Magic Your Way options - you should be able to find the no-expiration option in there.

1989 .......... Offsite?

Future Plans:

Old 11-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #1947
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thanks for the responses on the rooms/honeymoon! We are still looking in to other disney hotels, but for what we want to spend, this may be the best option.
The rooms really are nice and big. The fridge and coffee pot are a nice touch too. My best friend stayed at a moderate for her honeymoon and actually came home early! I found that amazing after spending all that money to up and leave.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #1948
Bay Hill
Top Gear

Smile

Just to let everyone know, we leave tomorrow for MCO. Our first hotel is the Hilton WDW for a comp 4 day stay due to a 2003 "construction" stay. The GM was nice enough to comp us with no exp dates. Nice during a slowdown.

Following the Hilton, it's a 2 day stay at The Shades. It's on par with a deluxe resort. Nice and quite after hearing noise all day. Evergreen's is great, good wings and can't beat the 12 dollar beer pitcher price, cheapest on Disney. We requested the new side near the parking garage on this visit, will follow up after we get back.

97-Sheraton Lake Side Inn (never stay offsite again)
99 (Honeymoon) Hyatt MCO, Radisson Twin Towers, Dolphin...Montreal
00 Dolphin
01 Dolphin
02 Dolphin
03 WDW Hilton, Dolphin
04 Swan
05 Shades Of Green, Swan
06 Shades Of Green, Swan
07 Shades Of Green, Swan
Old 11-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #1949
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Would this be a good place for a honeymoon? My fiance and I are looking to be there possibly next September, but from what I can tell on the website, there are really no "suites" for two people, just family suites.

I think they call them family suites because they know some families have more than 3 kids and their suites allow families to stay in the same room. So, by calling it a family suite, it helps to push those rooms.

SOG really is just functional. A hotel designed to offer military people (not just families) a more affordable option. There are no special rooms like you would find elsewhere. Of course, elsewhere you will pay a lot more money for those special suites, etc.

I have visited most of the hotels on property and SOG is the quietest of them. The kids can be loud in the pool area, but it is a pool and the kids are excited. The Magnolia pool has a quieter atmosphere and that is where the hot tub is. Keep in mind older teens are allowed to use the hot tub too. As far as the rest of the hotel, it is super quiet. The kids tend to be quiet where appropriate as the parents expect this of them. I wish I could say the same for the other hotels I have visited. Some of them seem like a playground with all the kids running through the lobby and food court. The volume of people flowing through doesn't help. The advantage of SOG is that it is a much smaller hotel compared to the rest. Get a room at the end of one of the wings and you feel like you are in the Twilight Zone. It is just that deserted. Nice for privacy.

SOG is definitely a good choice for someone wanting to watch what they are spending.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #1950
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

My DS and his wife honeymooned at SOG in 2006 and they were very happy there! Come to think of it, DH and I had our first trip without kids there in 2004, too!

The rooms are way larger than other Disney property rooms and have a nice tropical decor. I guess a King is nice on your honeymoon (or anytime), but a queen is cozy, right? I'll look for pics - I don't have any on this computer. We had great service, it was quiet and the children were really well behaved (almost a novelty these days).

Having all of the Disney amenities and the AAFES store without paying Disney prices was great! A relatively short walk over to the Poly would get you right on the monorail, and the bus system was great - we didn't even need a car except to get to the resort.

The only thing we were disappointed in was the pool, but we spent so much time at the parks, we didn't need much pool time. The hot tub was closed when we were there.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: