Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #181
gibsontrio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-A-Mom View Post
One of the pools is heated. If this is what you were thinking, I know I saw people swimming in it when we were there in January and the Floridians were FREEZING.
I'm in NY and we are FREEZING right now!! If I was at SOG now i'd TOTALLY be in the pool

ME! , Hubby , Cameron , Willow , Roselynn
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #182
ougrad86
OU Sooners Football Fan!

When we go back, i will request the older part because I prefer the divider in the room, but have a question that has been nagging me ever since our stay. Before we went I was under the impression that they had a seperate vanity outside of the bath/toilet area, but we actually had a bathroom with the sinck inside of it. Since we may be bringing my MIL, we would prefer the double vanity on the outside. Is this available in the older section?
Other than that, SOG was awesome. The ticket prices are good - we got regular park hoppers, and then bought one day for Disney Quest. Lack of tax was awesome, and like some had mentioned, when I crunched the numbers we spent less that we would have at one of the moderates. Plus the size of the room and beds were great - I don't think I could sleep in anything less than a queen!
My husband is a DOD civilian, but we are both AF veterans, and have stayed in the AFEES hotels in Europe. It has always been a wonderful benefit.

Disneyland off site 1973;WDW off site 1974 (band trip); WDW off site 1985; WDW SOG March 2006; WDW SOG Nov 2009 with friends; WDW AKL Oct/Nov 2010 with friends; Universal/WDW HRH Spring Break 2012 with friends; WDW AKL Nov 2012 with friends; planning Universal Portofino/WDW Coronado Spring Break 2014 with friends !
Disney: so far into our heads, hopes and dreams that it is legendarily the Mouse that built the better people trap...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #183
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are the rates really going up toward the end of the year? They usually don't do that until the beginning of each year. It was $103 last month. The one thing you have to consider is that there is NO TAX added on top of each night's stay. I know when we used to stay for $99/night we figured out that it was the same as staying at the all-star resort for $78/night rate+tax. And the rooms at SOG are A LOT roomier than the value resorts!!! If you are talking value, I would recommend SOG.
We're paying $125 in November. My Dh is an O-6 so we pay the highest rate which is still a great deal. Rates go up every year around Oct-Nov. In '05 our rate was a few dollars more than when we booked. I just tried to go to the SOG website, but it must be down now because I can't get it to come up. There are two charts for prices, one that is current and the second one with the higher rates starting this fall.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #184
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by ougrad86 View Post
When we go back, i will request the older part because I prefer the divider in the room, but have a question that has been nagging me ever since our stay. Before we went I was under the impression that they had a seperate vanity outside of the bath/toilet area, but we actually had a bathroom with the sinck inside of it. Since we may be bringing my MIL, we would prefer the double vanity on the outside. Is this available in the older section?

We also stay in the old section for the divider.

To explain the bathroom setup in the old section.......They have 2 types of rooms. One is a handicapped room and the other is a regular room. The handicapped room has a bathroom with tub, toilet and single sink in one room. The room is large enough to accomodate a wheelchair.
The other room setup has a tub and toilet in a small room (a wheelchair would never fit in there) and outside that room, there is a double sink. We now make sure we request a NON handicapped room. Out of 4 stays, we have gotten a handicapped room twice. Having the sinks outside the bathroom makes it easier to rotate people getting ready in the morning.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #185
Sleepy

Quote:
You would have to ask when you make a reservation, but once we stayed in a room the had a 3/4 wall that left a sitting area just before the sliding glass door. That was the area where the pull-out sofa was. It is possible that it was a "handicap" room. (I know we stayed in one of those.) That made it possible for my older ones to quietly watch television while the younger one slept. I don't know if that would help, but you might want to ask about it.
All the rooms in the old section has the room divider between the beds and the couch/table area.
The only distiction between regular rooms and handicapped rooms is the bathroom setup. Handicapped rooms have toilet, tub and sink in the bathroom. Regular rooms have toilet and tub in one room and just outside the bathroom is a double sink.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #186
duketennisgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ougrad86 View Post
My husband is a DOD civilian, but we are both AF veterans, and have stayed in the AFEES hotels in Europe. It has always been a wonderful benefit.
Have you by any chance stayed at the Edelweiss Resort in Garmisch Germany?

I've been considering it for about two years now and I think I really want to go next year, I would love some opinions from anybody who has been there.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #187
gibsontrio
DIS Veteran

DUKE- My husband has stayed there and he says it is WONDERFUL all the rooms have views of the mountains. Apparently it looks just like SOG inside, I think they do that on purpose. It has a log cabin type look to it. I had to promise DH that if we did disney this year we would go to Germany next year. They have a website just like sog so you can look at it. They also have a list of trips and activities they can arrange for you.

ME! , Hubby , Cameron , Willow , Roselynn
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #188
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky359 View Post
We are going to Shades of Green, in Feb 2009, and need to know where to stay! We will have a 1 year old then. So which part would you suggest and why? What would be close to transportation out (like the buses) and to the monorail across the street, and parking (if we use that), etc. Please help me understand which part of the resort we should ask for and why.

Also, is using their transportation a pain? I know their buses don't run as often as everyone elses, and don't go as many places, etc. Also, is using their parking garage a pain?

Is it a long walk to the Poly (especially with a 1 year old)?

Thanks!!!

I'm late to the party, but wanted to comment about the buses. When we stayed at SOG in 2004, (loved it!) we thought the bus system was great! We felt we had wasted our money on a car rental, except getting there from the airport.

In June 2007, having DVC, we used the Disney system and it was terrible! We figured out that we wasted 10 hours waiting for buses - sometimes they never came, and we walked to DTD to get them. One time it took us 2 hours to get from AK to SSR! We will get a car from now on.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #189
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duketennisgal View Post
Have you by any chance stayed at the Edelweiss Resort in Garmisch Germany?

I've been considering it for about two years now and I think I really want to go next year, I would love some opinions from anybody who has been there.
I stayed there for a conference this past summer, and it was great. It looks new or recently renovated. Staff was VERY nice and helpful. Buffet breakfast and lunch was nothing spectacular, but pretty good with good variety (though not much local German/Austrian food). And Garmisch is beautiful. I walked to the walking-street-part-of-town, but it was a long walk from Edelweiss (about 20-30 minutes). I didn't have a lot of time to explore everything Garmisch has to offer, so I really don't have a feel for how long a vacation you can make out of it.
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back

Future Plans:
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #190
duketennisgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsontrio View Post
DUKE- My husband has stayed there and he says it is WONDERFUL all the rooms have views of the mountains. Apparently it looks just like SOG inside, I think they do that on purpose. It has a log cabin type look to it. I had to promise DH that if we did disney this year we would go to Germany next year. They have a website just like sog so you can look at it. They also have a list of trips and activities they can arrange for you.

I've looked over the resort site and it looks so beautiful. I really think I'm going to save up and do a big trip in two years, I was saving to go on a trip to Scotland next fall but I've wanted to do the Germany, Austria, Italy trip for so long. Now I just have to decide when would be the best time of the year to go, I don't want to go when it's cold, I don't ski so that's not a big concern for me.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #191
airplane
DIS Veteran

Golf

Is there a military discount on golf at Palm or Magnolia?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #192
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane View Post
I know there was a package a few years ago, but I haven't golfed there recently.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #193
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsontrio View Post
I'm in NY and we are FREEZING right now!! If I was at SOG now i'd TOTALLY be in the pool

Floridians wear coats when it's 65. I've been there when it's 65-70 in shorts and short sleeves and floridians have on long sleeves and long pants and jackets. It's funny.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #194
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane View Post

From the FAQ link on the SOG website....

Q:
What is the military golf rate?

A:
Currently, the rate is $55 plus tax and includes your cart rental. Tee times must be after 10 am.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #195
airplane
DIS Veteran

That's the one spot on the website I did not look at. THANK YOU
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: