Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #1816
bdcp
DIS Veteran

We always stay on the paths. I have seen what I think are gator eyes sticking up out of the water a little bit, but the water is so murky, it's hard to be sure. Gators do live in those ponds, but generally stay in the water or close to the water's edge. People who get chased usually are invading the gator's space, the gator's dont' go looking for people. I've also read many posts about Disney's policy of relocating them once they get to a certain size.

We leave this Thursday because we're going on a cruise first, so while I'm excited about SOG and WDW, I'm more excited about our cruise right now.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #1817
GJM
DIS Veteran

We were there last month and I also was upset because we didn't get the Evergreen cups. I think they were plastic cups now.

We thought the onion rings were great - they are still the sliced onion. I miss them!
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #1818
Dokietoes
Mouseketeer

Decided to change our January trip to the first week in February to take advantage of the Birthday deal, so had to cancel our reservation at SOG. While I was talking to Monique about cancelling, she said she could book us at any other Disney resort and still use our discount....20%. Had planned to book at POFQ, so she booked us there for $119/nite versus the $117/nite at SOG. Apparently booking through SOG, one can get a decent discount at other resorts, just for being a veteran.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #1819
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokietoes View Post
Decided to change our January trip to the first week in February to take advantage of the Birthday deal, so had to cancel our reservation at SOG. While I was talking to Monique about cancelling, she said she could book us at any other Disney resort and still use our discount....20%. Had planned to book at POFQ, so she booked us there for $119/nite versus the $117/nite at SOG. Apparently booking through SOG, one can get a decent discount at other resorts, just for being a veteran.
I thought you could only get the discount if SOG was booked? That is a good price for POR. Congrats
Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #1820
Dokietoes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcc View Post
I thought you could only get the discount if SOG was booked? That is a good price for POR. Congrats
That's what I thought too, but who am I to argue. Just inputed info at http://disneysmagicalexpress.com so that's covered. Pretty much flying free...reasonable resort rate, can't afford to stay home.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #1821
foulkfamilyof5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokietoes View Post
What is the 20% discount for? We just got back yesterday from our 9 night stay and are already planning our next trip. I will post more later. We stayed in the old section rooms 190 and 191. They were very nice rooms, nothing special but soooo much room. The grounds of the hotel are very nice. For the person looking for a nice view for her father, the lounge area is beautiful and it has a wonderful deck overlooking the golf course with rocking chairs for relaxing. I will post pictures later, still catching up on laundry and I have to go back to work tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #1822
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmommy View Post
Lorie (or anyone),
I know there have been many discussions on this topic on this thread, but I have report cards and parent-teacher conferences this week so I don't have time to read all of the pages to look for it!

Would it be best to request the new section? I think we'd like a golf course view - do I request that? Any other room request tips? My dad will stay at the resort most days (he doesn't go to the parks much), so I'd like for him to have a nice balcony with a great view so he can relax with a newspaper!

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Kristie
I've never requested in advance but when we check in. I always request the new section and we've always gotten it. We don't travel with kids (I'd guess that families want to be close to pool) and we have a rental car (new section next to garage) ~ so maybe that factors in as well. We almost always have a golf course view as well. I don't think that there's a bad view anywhere. The grounds are very pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
That is too bad. I enjoyed a cup that was sturdy and could be reused. Are the new ones styro or paper?
Inexpensive clear cheap plastic cups

Quote:
What would you say was wrong with the onion rings? Old grease? Are they still sliced onion? They used to be sooooo good.
I was expecting thick breaded rings or the beer battered kind where the crust falls off. It just wasn't to my taste. They were thick cut onion, dipped in a thick batter and fried. Mine turned out really greasy and I thought the batter locked in extra grease.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #1823
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Hey guys....Long time no see!

I've been especially busy with my school & homeschooling so I haven't been able to post. I see I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Not long now! Yeah!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m8tdf7jdhygbu.png[/img]

Me DH DD
Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #1824
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

Kodak Desk

I read on the first post on this thread that you can schedule a photo session. Has anyone done this? How much does it cost?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #1825
wlvsfnz
Earning My Ears

We are leaving in 9 days and counting. I know somewhere on this thread was SOG bus schedule. Can someone please tell me what page it was on? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #1826
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Page 41, post 604. It is from a few months ago, but it is the most recent one we have on here.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #1827
wlvsfnz
Earning My Ears

That one will be just fine. Thank you very much!!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #1828
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
Just got home a few hours ago from a fabulous week at Shades. The bus system was the best (so much better than Pop ~ sorry Poppers) Evergreens was good but not great. They were under staffed. In fact one server had to keep going out to get the other servers off their smoke break. I didn't think the onion rings were anything to write home about but the pizza was

Our room was great. I requested a balcony instead of a patio. Last time we right next to a lake on the first floor. I was a little nervous about alligators being on the patio after dark and I planned on sitting out there. The assistent manager that checked us in told us to be careful walking to the Poly. He said that someone strayed off of the Shades path at the Poly a few weeks ago and an alligator came out of hiding to 'chase' the guests. We stayed on the path and I hung on to DH pretty tight.
We were told that story in 2004! Maybe they retell it alot so people will take them seriously about the gators
Old 11-01-2008, 04:13 AM   #1829
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

How does SOG know who is parked in the garage and for how long they intend to stay?

I just read a thread on another website where someone suggested parking at SOG and taking one of the buses to the parks to avoid paying parking charges in the park parking lots. If they get to park for free, we all should. How do they monitor this obvious abuse?
Old 11-01-2008, 04:46 AM   #1830
Piglet4Ever
Navy Wife, toughest job in the Navy!!!!!!

The parking garage is gated and you need to use your room key to open the arm and you get a pass to put on the mirror. Not sure how the parking works at the golf course but I would assume they give you some kind of pass to put on your car as well when you are parked there.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: