Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #1756
seabee
Signmaker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ougrad86 View Post
Coming with friends in Nov 2009 (hope my bonus comes through), and wondering a couple of things.
We will probably be arriving before them, possibly the night before. We are driving, they are probably flying. As we check in, can we also let them know that we have friends arriving, so that we can go out the next day and if they arrive, they can check in with no problem? My husband has the ID, they do not; she works for the Fed Govt, but not in the capacity that she can stay at SOG. Just wondering if we can set things up before they actually check in - figured we could also make sure our rooms are close. Also wondering if we could purchase the tickets then set them to one side for them to pick up when they arrive.
When it comes to paying and check out, do we pay or can each pay for their own room? She could give us money in advance for us to buy the tickets, but their can be various charges added to the room so not sure how that would work.
I do know that we may or may not have to be with them if they purchase anything at the SOG shop - it seems to depend on whether or not the clerk wants to check on ID's. But it seems the restaurants do not have this limitation, and anyone can eat there. Although we are good friends, and our children are best of friends , we will do some things together and do some things apart - the best way to stay friends sometimes!

The last time we sponsored a family, we arrived a day earlier and were at HS when they arrived. They were able to check in without us there. The day they were arriving their flight was delayed, so we let the desk know that they would be arriving later, and asked if we would be alright to go to the parks. They said we were all set. Our friends checked in without any problems. I think if you let the desk know ahead of time it helps.

Your friends can pay for their own room. It will all be changed when they check in. We did purchase our friend's tickets ahead of time for them. We just held onto them and gave them the tickets when they arrived, but you could ask the desk to hold them for you.

As for shopping, it seems that as long as they are purchasing general merchandise they don't need an ID. If they are getting tobacco, alcohol, etc. then they do need one. And they are all set to eat on their own. You don't need your ID. Hope this helps, and have a great trip!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #1757
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

I used my ID at Evergreen once, but only because after drinking all that beer, I forgot who I was and had to look ta my ID
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #1758
HeatherPage
Proud mommy, wife and WDW fan!
I didn't realize I had stumbled onto here

Thanks for the extra information Sleepy!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #1759
ougrad86
OU Sooners Football Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
The last time we sponsored a family, we arrived a day earlier and were at HS when they arrived. They were able to check in without us there. The day they were arriving their flight was delayed, so we let the desk know that they would be arriving later, and asked if we would be alright to go to the parks. They said we were all set. Our friends checked in without any problems. I think if you let the desk know ahead of time it helps.

Your friends can pay for their own room. It will all be changed when they check in. We did purchase our friend's tickets ahead of time for them. We just held onto them and gave them the tickets when they arrived, but you could ask the desk to hold them for you.

As for shopping, it seems that as long as they are purchasing general merchandise they don't need an ID. If they are getting tobacco, alcohol, etc. then they do need one. And they are all set to eat on their own. You don't need your ID. Hope this helps, and have a great trip!
Thanks for the info. This will make it a lot easier. My son's best friend is Nicole!

Disneyland off site 1973;WDW off site 1974 (band trip); WDW off site 1985; WDW SOG March 2006; WDW SOG Nov 2009 with friends; WDW AKL Oct/Nov 2010 with friends; Universal/WDW HRH Spring Break 2012 with friends; WDW AKL Nov 2012 with friends; WDW Coronado/Uni Portofino Spring Break 2014 with friends ! No New Ticker - college and Grand Canyon planning
Disney: so far into our heads, hopes and dreams that it is legendarily the Mouse that built the better people trap...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #1760
seabee
Signmaker extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for the info. This will make it a lot easier. My son's best friend is Nicole!
He's a good judge in names!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #1761
ougrad86
OU Sooners Football Fan!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
He's a good judge in names!
I always thought so! She's a great kid, and they have been friends since kindergarten. They go to different schools now, but we get together quite often so they can hang out, so her mother and I are good friends too.
Saw you leave in a week. Have a great trip !

Disneyland off site 1973;WDW off site 1974 (band trip); WDW off site 1985; WDW SOG March 2006; WDW SOG Nov 2009 with friends; WDW AKL Oct/Nov 2010 with friends; Universal/WDW HRH Spring Break 2012 with friends; WDW AKL Nov 2012 with friends; WDW Coronado/Uni Portofino Spring Break 2014 with friends ! No New Ticker - college and Grand Canyon planning
Disney: so far into our heads, hopes and dreams that it is legendarily the Mouse that built the better people trap...
Old 10-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #1762
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I always thought so! She's a great kid, and they have been friends since kindergarten. They go to different schools now, but we get together quite often so they can hang out, so her mother and I are good friends too.
Saw you leave in a week. Have a great trip !
Not SoG related...but BOO!!! Sad day in football.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #1763
ougrad86
OU Sooners Football Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalSnowWhite View Post
Not SoG related...but BOO!!! Sad day in football.
Yeah ...after my son and I commiserated together came to the DISboards to try and cheer myself up. But I am a rabid college football fan, so TV kept going with updates and kept seeing it over...and over...and over...

Last edited by ougrad86; 10-20-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #1764
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Does anyone remember anything about the clock? I'm assuming that it's a clock radio. Some of the Disney resorts have upgraded to a unit that has a sound machine and a place to plug MP3 player. Has Shades upgraded to anything like that? I need sound to fall asleep. I'm planning on bringing my MP3 player that has a 'rain' on it but would rather not be hooked to the earphones during the night. I have the CD too if they had a CD player in the room but I'm sure that I'm asking for too much.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #1765
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Lor View Post
Does anyone remember anything about the clock? I'm assuming that it's a clock radio. Some of the Disney resorts have upgraded to a unit that has a sound machine and a place to plug MP3 player. Has Shades upgraded to anything like that? I need sound to fall asleep. I'm planning on bringing my MP3 player that has a 'rain' on it but would rather not be hooked to the earphones during the night. I have the CD too if they had a CD player in the room but I'm sure that I'm asking for too much.
Considering they are still using the same bedpreads, etc they always have, and cheapened from trial sizes of shampoo, etc to a dispenser on the wall, I highly doubt they would go to the expense of something like a high tech radio. We always bring an electric cooler anyway and use the fan on that as our white noise.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #1766
angelmav
DIS Veteran

They are still the old clock radio ones. Nothing special about them, except that they are still working 20 yrs after purchase! I dont believe there is a DVD or CD player in the room. We just put the tv on low and set the sleep timer.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #1767
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

I remember when they had VHS players in each room and a video rental machine in the hall.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #1768
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Considering they are still using the same bedpreads, etc they always have, and cheapened from trial sizes of shampoo, etc to a dispenser on the wall, I highly doubt they would go to the expense of something like a high tech radio.
Too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmav View Post
They are still the old clock radio ones. Nothing special about them, except that they are still working 20 yrs after purchase! I dont believe there is a DVD or CD player in the room. We just put the tv on low and set the sleep timer.
May have to get a travel speaker for my MP3. Thanks

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 10-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #1769
foulkfamilyof5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I remember when they had VHS players in each room and a video rental machine in the hall.
Have they not upgraded to a DVD player in the room? I am just thinking that my DD (4) may need to come back to the room for a nap/quiet time and it would be nice to put in a DVD to watch. I guess I should pack our portable one.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #1770
GJM
DIS Veteran

No DVD player in the room.

I remember the VHS with the rentals!

I hate the dispenser on the wall in the shower. Bring soap and shampoo.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: