Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #1726
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I am wondering if anyone has any photos of the gift shop at SOG... I'm sure that I read that it's quite small. Do they sell Disney pins, jewelery (such as earrings), mouse ear hats, t-shirts? Or do we need to go to the Poly for that sort of thing?

TIA!

D~
I found some photos on web that may give you an idea of size of place, 2 are from Deb's ALLEARS.

http://allears.net/acc/g_sog.htm

Everyone headed down later this month have fun! Sounds so exciting!

Time is getting short for our TG family grand gathering too and we cannot wait!!!

RIP Mom

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.

~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #1727
Piglet4Ever
Navy Wife, toughest job in the Navy!!!!!!

Nice pics of the gift shop, they have added that seating area out front of it since the last time we were there, so that is neat.
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #1728
GJM
DIS Veteran

That seating area wasn't there about 3 weeks ago - and the store wasn't set up that way. They may be older pictures. Because you now have the coffee stand that is near the store.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #1729
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Yep, those pictures are pre-expansion. The double doors (bottom pic) was the original entrance into the lobby. That gift shop was tiny and hard to walk around in.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #1730
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbeck View Post
I couldn't find it on the Shades website, but, I did find it here. Wireless is $6.95 per day for use in the lobby ONLY!? If you want it in your room it is still $6.95 per day but you hook up??

Please let me know if this has changed a bit. We will be bringing our laptop in order to check weather, check e-mail, upload pictures, etc.... But, it seems kind of expensive. As we went to different campgrounds this summer the wireless was part of our night stay, so, I am suprised it is not the same here.

What about the Disney resorts, what is their policy?
We paid $6.95/24 hrs. for access in our room. The cable was given to us when we signed up at the front desk, so you don't have to worry about bring one. After 2 days, we realized we were too busy and tired to bother with email, so we cancelled the service and just uploaded our photos to the laptop each night. In the 12 days we were there, we only saw a handful of people with their laptops in the lobby.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #1731
Dokietoes
Mouseketeer

We'll be staying at SOG in Janurary, taking advantage of the Salute to Veterans program and will not have a military ID. Will a DD214 suffice to buy beer and wine at the store.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #1732
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Just looked really close at AAFES pics, the first one is the new shop. The other pics are pre-expansion.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #1733
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

KatRob, thank you for confirming top photo is the AAFES gift shop. I have enlarged it for those interested.

Photo from: Trip Advisor ~ taken by: travelingwheelchair

RIP Mom

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.

~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #1734
seabee
Signmaker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokietoes View Post
We'll be staying at SOG in Janurary, taking advantage of the Salute to Veterans program and will not have a military ID. Will a DD214 suffice to buy beer and wine at the store.
As far as I know your license will do, because if you were being sponsored by someone you wouldn't have an ID either.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #1735
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
As far as I know your license will do, because if you were being sponsored by someone you wouldn't have an ID either.

That is an interesting comment. A sponsored guest would have to have the ID card holder present to purchase tickets. They would also need the ID card holder to purchase the tobacco and alcohol for them as well, unless the cashier is lax and doesn't check the IDs. Normal procedure is to check all IDs for alcohol, tobacco and park tickets.

I am not sure how it would work for someone who is completely severed from the military, but qualifies to stay at SOG during those two months. Maybe at check-in they are given a special card or something entitling them to purchases when normally they would not qualify?? I think I will e-mail SOG for my own natural curiosity.

Dokietoes- I sent SOG an e-mail with your question. I will come back with the response when I get it. Might take at least a day.

Last edited by Sleepy; 10-08-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #1736
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Wow... Thanks for the AAFES photos! Looks like they do sell some Mickey items (however may not be authentic WDW merchandise?) I"m looking forward to heading over to the Poly gift shop on that first day, just to have a look.

OK, so I emailed SOG and they gave me the address to send packages to... Is SOG the same as the other WDW resorts, where you have to have the package delivered UPS if you want it delivered to the actual hotel? Or can I use the USPS? Has anyone ever sent a package to SOG before?

SO much to do, so little time - and I'm glad that I started planning a year ago...

D~
Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #1737
Dokietoes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post

Dokietoes- I sent SOG an e-mail with your question. I will come back with the response when I get it. Might take at least a day.

Thanks. Hopefully it will confirm what info I got from Monique at the Salute to Veterans booking number who said a DD214 would suffice,
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #1738
seabee
Signmaker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
That is an interesting comment. A sponsored guest would have to have the ID card holder present to purchase tickets.
I have sponsored on 3 different occasions and our guests have never needed me with them to purchase anything from the store. Tickets, etc. yes, but not in the store. Maybe we just lucked out and always got a lax cashier. If they did ask, I would assume that a valid room key would be good, since you wouldn't have one if you weren't eligible in some way to stay there.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #1739
Disneyfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
SO much to do, so little time - and I'm glad that I started planning a year ago...

D~
Dorine, isn't that the truth?

I too started planning a year ago, and yet I am still scrambling and feeling like this: How on earth is it this complicated to plan a WDW vacation? Still, it's a good "problem" to have and one that I am grateful for.

Back to stressing and working on my "to-do" list . . .

Disneyland - 15+ times since childhood
WDW - Poly/AKL 2001; SoG 2006; SoG/AKL 2008; Poly/AKV 2010; AKV/BLT 2012
Aulani - Dec 2011 and April 2012

And new DVC owner!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #1740
MrJT
Content to be a Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wow... Thanks for the AAFES photos! Looks like they do sell some Mickey items (however may not be authentic WDW merchandise?) I"m looking forward to heading over to the Poly gift shop on that first day, just to have a look.
The merchandise is not WDW merchandise. If it says anything, it says "Orlando, FL" on it.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: