Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #1621
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

I find the pool areas to be the location where most people don't follow the rule. I guess they don't notice all the "no smoking" signs posted. As stated, there are designated locations. You just have to walk to them as they are set off from poolside. Overall, I do find people follow the rules better than other places. I have never walked into a room and said, "Someone has been smoking in here".
Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #1622
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Smile Disney Here we Come!

Hi all,

This is my 1st post on the Dis boards!

Thank you so much for all of the info. You guys are lifesavers! I went thru ALL of the 109 pages to get as much info as I can. I have been to Disney twice as an adult but only as 1 day trips from Tampa when I was stationed there. My DH & DD (9) and I will be there for our 1st Disney vacation Nov 15 -21st. We will be staying at SOG. We can't wait. DD is soooo excited she doesn't know what to do with herself

Until I talked to a friend who is a DISer, I had no idea all this planning took place before a trip. We thought we would just show up and have fun. (What can I say, we're Disney vacation virgins We have nothing planned and now I'm starting to freak out! Too many choices...character dinner? (I would love it, DD says it's for 6 yr olds!) Christmas party? Ugh...

Sorry this post is so long -- I'm kinda a talker if you didn't notice

Anyways, my 1st question deals with the rooms. We have a pool side room but have not requested which pool. I know it will only be a request and not guaranteed, but which pool do you think is best for a family of 3 who LOVE LOVE LOVE the pool? (I know it's Nov and cold, but DD said we will still be in pool & at the water park -TL- as BB is closed during our trip -- or is it vice versa??..doesn't matter...) The Mill Pond looks like it will be fun for DD, but the Magnolia has the pool bar...for me! Looking forward to sipping margaritas by the pool. Where are the towels at? Hmmm

Thanks again for all of the info -- people do really appreciate it.

Disney World -- here we come!!!

Last edited by LuvinBelle; 09-26-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: See if signature is added :)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #1623
Them!
What Yeti?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinBelle View Post

This is my 1st post on the Dis boards!

Anyways, my 1st question deals with the rooms. We have a pool side room but have not requested which pool.
Disney World -- here we come!!!
Welcome! The Mill Pond pool has Evergreens nearby for refreshments so have no fear.

We are going NEXT week for our 7 night stay!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #1624
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Them! View Post
Welcome! The Mill Pond pool has Evergreens nearby for refreshments so have no fear.

We are going NEXT week for our 7 night stay!
Next week?? AWESOME!!

I had forgotten that Evergreens was right there I'm also looking forward to being very lazy after the parks. The rooms seem further away from the pool at Mill Pond...yes, I know -- so sad!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m8tdf7jdhygbu.png[/img]

Me DH DD
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #1625
GJM
DIS Veteran

You can request a room close to the pool. That is what we did. I didn't pay for pool view but ask to be close to the pool. We were all the way at the end of the hall, lst. floor. We could go out our sliding door to ge to the pool or walk past 4 rooms and go out the door to the pool.

We love the Mill pool as does my DS (9). For all the times we have been to SOG we have never been to the other pool!

We were just there 2 weeks ago, some days we had the Mill pool all to ourselves! The pools never seem crowded which is so nice.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #1626
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
You can request a room close to the pool. That is what we did. I didn't pay for pool view but ask to be close to the pool. We were all the way at the end of the hall, lst. floor. We could go out our sliding door to ge to the pool or walk past 4 rooms and go out the door to the pool.

We love the Mill pool as does my DS (9). For all the times we have been to SOG we have never been to the other pool!

We were just there 2 weeks ago, some days we had the Mill pool all to ourselves! The pools never seem crowded which is so nice.

We already have a pool side room reserved (at the extra cost). It's great that you got it without paying extra for it!

We would LOVE to have the pool to ourselves (not that we're selfish or anything). That's one of the reasons why we want to stay at SOG -- less people. We could get a Value Resort with DDP for less than staying at SOG but we didn't want the crowded hotel. We know that when we're going it probably won't be full, but even at half full, the POP would have over 1400 rooms occupied!

We like the thought of coming back to a quiet place after the parks.

Me DH DD
Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #1627
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I find the pool areas to be the location where most people don't follow the rule. I guess they don't notice all the "no smoking" signs posted. As stated, there are designated locations. You just have to walk to them as they are set off from poolside. Overall, I do find people follow the rules better than other places. I have never walked into a room and said, "Someone has been smoking in here".
Is this a regular problem? The smell of smoke around the pool would really ruin our time there !

Me DH DD
Old 09-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #1628
GJM
DIS Veteran

We didn't get a "pool side room" just one on the lst. floor very close to the pool. So we didn't pay the extra.

Of all the times we have been to SOG the pool has never seemed crowded, we will order dinner from Evergreens and sit by the pool and eat. The last time we had the "onion rings" many times!

When we were there we didn't have a problem with smokers. Even if we did there really was nobody at the pool so we could have moved -
Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #1629
foulkfamilyof5
Mouseketeer

Extended Magical Hours

Can you take advantage of the extended magical hours if you are staying at SOG?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #1630
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Yes, you have access to extra magic hours while staying at SOG.

Me DH DD
Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #1631
foulkfamilyof5
Mouseketeer

Where should we stay All Stars Music or SOG

Our trip is just three weeks away and I don't know where we would be better off. Should we stay in two rooms at the SOG or a family suite in All Stars Music? At this point those are our only two options unless we want to spend $13000 at AKL. The positives to ASM---suite, can be on meal plan total package for 8 night stay is $4,417 cons -- far away, long lines at buses & I heard the beds are not comfortable......SOG positives big rooms, close to MK & Poly $2000 for two rooms...cons can't be on the meal plan, still have to pay for food and tickets.....please help were are a confused family of five.....Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #1632
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Is this a regular problem? The smell of smoke around the pool would really ruin our time there !
It was 2 years ago since we were there and we only went to the Mill Pond pool late after dark (this was July) each night. From my experience, there were more than a few smokers poolside. I hope things have improved and they made the signs clearer to read. I tried to give those the benefit of the doubt. At that time, the no-smoking signs facing the chairs were rather faded. It is no fun having to collect all your stuff and move across to the other side of the pool to avoid the smoke.

GJM- Don't remind me of those onion rings. I still have 10 months to wait.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #1633
GJM
DIS Veteran

Family of 5 - Couldn't you all stay in one room at SOG, not sure of the ages. At SOG there are 2 beds and a pull our couch.

Me personally I would stay at SOG - I know staying at a Value would be cheaper for us, but I love SOG. It is quiet after a long day at the parks, we eat at the breakfast buffet, which is OK and not expensive or get something by the buss. The meal plan wouldn't be worth it for us, my DS is a picky eater and is not a big eater. DH is a big breakfast eater, I'm not.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #1634
Poohbear5
DIS Veteran

From page one of this thread:

"Kodak photographic services are available in the main lobby. Schedule your individual, family or group portrait session. "

Has anyone ever done this at SOG?
Is it similiar to the Disney resort photos sessions?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #1635
Maine-iac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We already have a pool side room reserved (at the extra cost). It's great that you got it without paying extra for it!

We would LOVE to have the pool to ourselves (not that we're selfish or anything). That's one of the reasons why we want to stay at SOG -- less people. We could get a Value Resort with DDP for less than staying at SOG but we didn't want the crowded hotel. We know that when we're going it probably won't be full, but even at half full, the POP would have over 1400 rooms occupied!

We like the thought of coming back to a quiet place after the parks.
The hot tub is also located at the Magnolia Pool so that may sway you.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: