Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
AR81
DIS Veteran

Help me decide? Which is more kid friendly, POFQ or POP?

In my case the amount of money is the same because of my free dining pin and I am booked with pop right now and paid the difference for regular dining instead of quick service. Well I can upgrade to a moderate and get regular dining completely free which makes the price very similar by about 20 dollars or so. Which one would you pick, POP or POFQ? Or is there another moderate you prefer besides POFQ? This will be my 7 year olds first trip so I want a resort that he will be wowed by or think is really cool/fun. You moms know what I mean. Wish we could afford deluxe but it's not feasible for us. I have spent most of the day off and on looking at the different moderate resort faq pages and photo threads and I am really having a hard time. Should I just stay with what I got which is POP or upgrade? The spread out layouts of most of the moderates with multiple bus stops is kind of turning me off on them. But French Quarters boat ride to DTD seems really cool and magical. What do you think?
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
My2QTs
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed at POP, but i have stayed at POFQ. In my opinoin, you will get very different experiences at each of these. We love POFQ becasue it is quiet and easy to get around and the pool is good for younger kids. HOnestly tho, if youre trying to get the wow affect from your son, he might like POP better. ITs very colorful and busy and always poppin. The mods are always gonna be nicer than the values, as far as upgrades. More comfortable beds, less noise, some less crowded. I think for the money I would def do the upgrade, but your son might love the sensory overload of POP. I think the mods are a nice mix of both. The parks are gonna be the main entertainment, so I say choose whichever one you think he will enjoy most. Most ppl who do mods enjoy the step up.
My2QTs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Tough decision. Can you split your stay? I've stayed at POP and I have stayed at POFQ. They are both great resorts. POFQ is also very colorful and kid friendly just like POP. The pool at POFQ is fun because it has the slide, A boat ride to DD is nice. You can also use POR pool as well because they are sister resort. It's about a 15 minute walk or you can take the boat there. I guess if I had to choose between those two, I choose POFQ. I love beignets in the morning and for snacks!
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
SciGirl
Mouseketeer

I've stayed in both POP and POFQ and actually did the same thing you are considering, (upgraded to POFQ to get the better free dining).

POP was really fun, but POFQ was also fun, and nicer, in my opinion. My kids liked the alligators and other decor. And the coins they give out. The boat to DTD is great. My son (6 at the time) LOVED the POFQ pool with a slide. Its so much easier to get around, too.

Personally, I'd upgrade to POFQ, but, either one would be a good choice.

Have fun!
SciGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at Pop and POFQ. We would choose POFQ if given the option. We enjoyed both, but would pick POFQ over Pop. Being at POFQ, you can use the ameinites there and at Port Orleans Riverside. That means you get pool slides at both places. You get a boat shuttle to DTD which we love. You also get entertainment options like Movie Nights and campfires on the lawn, Yehaw Bob Show at POR, and a TS restaurant at POR. It is only about a 5 minute walk between POR and POFQ. And you get queen size beds at POFQ and a jazz bar--bonus for the adults!
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Belle83
DIS Veteran

POFQ for the same price as Pop Century? I would pick POFQ in a heartbeat.

You get a quieter/prettier atmosphere, a water slide, two sinks in the bathroom area, a slightly larger room, the fridge (I think you still have to pay at Pop for those, not sure though), a table-service restaurant on site, a boat to Downtown Disney...
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

We decided to upgrade from Pop to POFQ last year and fell in love. We LOVE Pop, but it is so huge and crazy busy all the time. Our boys are 2 and 4 and I loved the relaxed pace of POFQ. I also love how small it is...SO easy to get around. We were in the furthest building and I was bummed at first, but it literally took us 5 minutes to get to the lobby. My four-year-old loved the water slide at POFQ too.

Pop on the other hand has better over-the-top theming, but I did find it nice to get back to a calm resort. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice!

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
AR81
DIS Veteran

I think I am leaning towards upgrading. I guess what was holding me back was the pool. It looks a little on the small side and I know we can use the ones at Riverside but its just not as convenient as having one right outside your door. The pools at POP look like fun for kids and appear a lot bigger. Now I have never visited any of these resorts. I am just going by the pictures and threads here at the dis. We have only been to disney once before 9 years ago and stayed offsite. So this is really our first trip as a family because our son wasn't born yet. So I am really trying to make the right decision and really want him to have fun. Also the close proximity to DTD really is swaying my decision too because we plan on going to DTD two nights of our trip. We have water park option so we want to spend some time at DQ and the other night we have an adr at T-Rex. Also considered Coronado but it just looks too spread out for us. Even though it looks beautiful in pictures convenience and location are bigger to me than scenery....
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

The pool should be pushing you to POFQ. Waterslide! The moderates all have them and the values do not. A deluxe will always trump a moderate, a moderate will always trump a value.

The only way I would suggest the POP is if you weren't going to do the dining plan. We would never do the dining plan, even the free one (not free, because you are usually paying more for the room/tickets) because we don't usually get dessert, pack a lot of snacks, and drink water vs. pop/etc.

No doubt, your son would enjoy either resort. I'm planning a 2 day stay, and it is during spring break time, so $$$...never looked at the value resorts before, but the POP does look fun. The pool was the only thing I didn't really like.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Tammy296
DIS Veteran

my input...

In my case the amount of money is the same because of my free dining pin and I am booked with pop right now and paid the difference for regular dining instead of quick service. Well I can upgrade to a moderate and get regular dining completely free which makes the price very similar by about 20 dollars or so. Which one would you pick, POP or POFQ? Or is there another moderate you prefer besides POFQ? This will be my 7 year olds first trip so I want a resort that he will be wowed by or think is really cool/fun. You moms know what I mean. Wish we could afford deluxe but it's not feasible for us. I have spent most of the day off and on looking at the different moderate resort faq pages and photo threads and I am really having a hard time. Should I just stay with what I got which is POP or upgrade? The spread out layouts of most of the moderates with multiple bus stops is kind of turning me off on them. But French Quarters boat ride to DTD seems really cool and magical. What do you think?

We've stayed at both resorts. Pop 3 times. PORQ once. We have 2 young children as well. During free dining, we ultimately chose PORQ in order to get the free full dining plan. It was worth it for us. We still saved $800. Plus PORQ beats POP on the pool, the beds, the boat ride, the busses!! We loved the beignets at PORQ. PORQ is just really special. IMHO you cannot go wrong with either resort you choose but when we go back again we'll go back to PORQ.

-----------------------------
All Star Sports May 1997; Pop Century May 1999; Pop Century May 2010; Port Orleans French Quarter Nov 2010; Port Orleans Resort New Rooms Sept/Oct 2012; FIRST SOLO STAY: Beach Club/POP Century Mar 2013; POR Oct 2013
Tammy296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

They are very different resorts with different atmospheres. Both are kid friendly. If the cost isn't an issue, I'd do POFQ in a heartbeat! Queen beds, pool slide, bigger room, boat to DTD, fridge in room, and it's a more relaxing resort to us.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR81 View Post
I think I am leaning towards upgrading. I guess what was holding me back was the pool:confused3. It looks a little on the small side and I know we can use the ones at Riverside but its just not as convenient as having one right outside your door. The pools at POP look like fun for kids and appear a lot bigger. Now I have never visited any of these resorts. I am just going by the pictures and threads here at the dis. We have only been to disney once before 9 years ago and stayed offsite. So this is really our first trip as a family because our son wasn't born yet. So I am really trying to make the right decision and really want him to have fun. Also the close proximity to DTD really is swaying my decision too because we plan on going to DTD two nights of our trip. We have water park option so we want to spend some time at DQ and the other night we have an adr at T-Rex. Also considered Coronado but it just looks too spread out for us. Even though it looks beautiful in pictures convenience and location are bigger to me than scenery....
If the pool is your biggest concern, I think that the waterslide at POFQ would be a big draw for your family. There are no slides at the Pop pools.

You can also use the pool at POR, but that's a bit of a hike.

POFQ is the most compact moderate resort. I think we did more walking at Pop than we did at POFQ to get from Point A to Point B.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Celestia
Mouseketeer

We just got back from our first stay at POFQ and loved it! Would definitely upgrade. We have stayed at POP, Allstars and POR. The pool never seemed that crowded when we were there. I think your son would definitely enjoy the slide. POP was fun and was our favorite when our kids were younger, but once we started staying at mods I really don't want to go back to the values!
Celestia is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: