Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
baw
Mouseketeer

Cabins at FT. Wilderness newbie here

Hi all- I am looking for tips and general insider/expert info about the CABINS at FT. Wilderness. I'm a Disney veteran, but I've only been to FT. Wilderness to catch Hoop de Doo once. We're leaving next week for a long weekend, adults only trip
I have ADRs booked, and park touring all set, but I've not read too much about the Cabins here on the DIS. There are a couple of old threads that seem to have died. I've done online check in to request a "near transportation" cabin location. We're planning one pool/resort day, one day at Epcot, and one at HS. I'm looking for some tips/info from some of you Cabin experts. Thanks, we're really looking forward to it!
baw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw View Post
Hi all- I am looking for tips and general insider/expert info about the CABINS at FT. Wilderness. I'm a Disney veteran, but I've only been to FT. Wilderness to catch Hoop de Doo once. We're leaving next week for a long weekend, adults only trip
I have ADRs booked, and park touring all set, but I've not read too much about the Cabins here on the DIS. There are a couple of old threads that seem to have died. I've done online check in to request a "near transportation" cabin location. We're planning one pool/resort day, one day at Epcot, and one at HS. I'm looking for some tips/info from some of you Cabin experts. Thanks, we're really looking forward to it!
One thing that some people don't know is that Fort Wilderness is not the same as Wilderness Lodge. And they aren't sister resorts. So if you are staying at Ft Wilderness, you cannot use the pool at Wilderness Lodge and vice versa. You can take the boat from one to the other to take advantage of the dining at each location or to visit each resort. And there is also a path (about a mile long) between the two.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Many people complain that you have to use internal transportation to get anywhere in Fort Wilderness. But their set-up is better than places like Saratoga Springs. To get to other locations you have to use the park buses, which can be crowded and who wants to jump on a bus in their bathing suit with a bunch of people coming back from Magic Kingdom LOL. At least at Fort Wilderness, it's all resort internal transportation so buses have plenty of room and folks are friendly.

It's a great place. Take the time to learn everything there to do and you could go for days and never leave and have a great time.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Best thing about the Cabins? You can sit on your deck in the morning in your PJs and no one cares.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

We stayed at FW last April and really liked it. We'd stayed at just about every other WDW resort over the last 15 years, but never even visited FW. There is another thread that has lots of information that you might find helpful: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1900103

We rented a golf card and found that it was really useful to get around FW. The resort is huge.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Kate and Family
Wiggling My Ears

Have there ever been room only discounts for the cabins? (or any other discount for that matter)
Kate and Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
baw
Mouseketeer

we booked free dining for this trip, but i imagine any moderate resort discount would apply, when offered. thanks for the link to the Cabins thread. funny that there isn't a ton of chatter about the cabins on the Dis, the way there is for many of the other resorts. If anyone else has any tips or info, I'm all Ears
baw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate and Family View Post
Have there ever been room only discounts for the cabins? (or any other discount for that matter)
Yes, I've stayed a few times, and it's always been with some kind of discount (AP, Fla Res, GP).

Although a golf cart is convenient, it's not a necessity for enjoying the campground. I got around just fine with Disney provided transportation. I do usually request to be near transportation, and so far, I've been at the front of loops that have bus stops. If you're in the 2100,2200 or 2300 loops, it's not a bad walk to the feature pool at the Meadow.

The cabin chat is mostly on the camping board, not the resorts board. There's TONS of info over there!
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
momn8r0306
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
The cabin chat is mostly on the camping board, not the resorts board. There's TONS of info over there!
Thanks, I've been wondering myself why there wasn't more talk about the cabins, they seem great - wonder if not that many people know about them? We'll be there in September, can't wait!

Me DH DS(9) DD(5)

momn8r0306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: