DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
FLmomof2
Keep Moving Forward

checking on availability when its not the 7 month mark

Why can't member services check on availability of a resort before the 7 month mark?

I thought it was strange when we called on Vero beach and they said they cannot check until our 7 month mark day.

Just wondering?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

1. It uses resources for no good reason
2. when they tell you "sure it is open" and you call back next week and get told "Sorry" what are you going to do?

The fact that it may have an open unit today really means nothing until you can book so they should not waste time helping you IMHO. I really hope we are not staffing for lots of 'what if' calls since that will just drive up our dues.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I have been told by several CM's that when you call to check on availability, they open up your account, and they can only see availability for the resorts that you own at the 11-7 month mark. I can't check on availability at the 8 month mark for BWV, because I don't own there. When you hit the 7 month mark, the CM's can see availability on their computer screens of all resorts. As PP stated, it does me no good to see BWV availability at 8 months, because I can't book there for another month.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Yup, an open room could be available one day, but gone the next...in fact,
an open room could be available this minute, but gone the next.

There's really nothing to be gained by anyone prechecking when it can't be reserved....when making a 7month ressie, call early on your first day, know what you want and have a "plan b" in mind just in case.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
FLmomof2
Keep Moving Forward

Ok Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
I have been told by several CM's that when you call to check on availability, they open up your account, and they can only see availability for the resorts that you own at the 11-7 month mark. I can't check on availability at the 8 month mark for BWV, because I don't own there. When you hit the 7 month mark, the CM's can see availability on their computer screens of all resorts. As PP stated, it does me no good to see BWV availability at 8 months, because I can't book there for another month.
Yep, this is what I've been told too.

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Disbroads
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post
Why can't member services check on availability of a resort before the 7 month mark?

I thought it was strange when we called on Vero beach and they said they cannot check until our 7 month mark day.

Just wondering?
That raises an interesting question. Okay, so member services can't look for something you can't book. That makes sense from a "traffic control" standpoint.

Now, whenever booking on the member website does get here, will the same be true?

Further to that, how many people will go out and "play", with no current need to get a reservation? I would think when someone is in the process of completing the reservation, they are holding onto a room. When I cancel out of a reservation system, I'm always warned I'll lose the room.

So will that cause false unavailability?

Hopefully people will only use it when needed.

Somehow, I suspect it'll be crashing a lot the first week or two it's on there.

Then again, I wouldn't want them spending our money to make it able to handle a number of people it will probably never see again.
Disbroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbroads View Post
That raises an interesting question. Okay, so member services can't look for something you can't book. That makes sense from a "traffic control" standpoint.

Now, whenever booking on the member website does get here, will the same be true?
I doubt that members will be shown availability all the way back to 11 months at resorts they do not own. Whether it's using up human resources or website bandwidth, there don't seem to be any valid reasons for presenting that information.

Overall I would expect to see some hiccups as the on-line bookings are rolled out. But the possibility of technical glitches is not reason enough to further delay such a product. We don't want to be sitting here in 2020 wondering when/if we will ever be able to book on line.

When offered, I'll have no qualms about using the on-line system. The first few times I'll keep good records of every transaction. If anything should occur which incorrectly modifies or cancels my reservations, I'll simply contact DVC and expect it to be resolved. Nothing really to fret over, IMO.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
GoofItUp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbroads View Post

Somehow, I suspect it'll be crashing a lot the first week or two it's on there.
Week or two? You're much, much more optimistic than me.

Off Site - 06/87, Off Site - 06/93, ASM - 11/01, Dolphin - 11/03, CBR - 01/06, POR - 09/07 FIRST TRIP WITH DS-10 mo!, Off-Site - 06/08 (DH's conference, so DS and I hit the parks!), BCV - 03/09 DS#2 was sick, so DH & DS#1 went alone! , DL Fairfield - 10/09 First Trip to DL & DS#2's first trip to a Disney Park!, 06/10 - BWV (Our first trip as OWNERS!), 06/11 - AKV-Kidani, 03/12-BWV, 06/12 - Not sure where yet!
GoofItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofItUp View Post
Week or two? You're much, much more optimistic than me.
Meh. Even if there is some downtime it's an improvement over the nonexistent on-line capabilities we have now.

And phone calls to Member Services are always an option.

Regardless of what bumps may occur along the way, it's a huge step in a direction that DVC needs to go.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
I doubt that members will be shown availability all the way back to 11 months at resorts they do not own. Whether it's using up human resources or website bandwidth, there don't seem to be any valid reasons for presenting that information.
I would like to view 11 month availability for all resorts
It would allow a more informed choice when adding points though resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Overall I would expect to see some hiccups as the on-line bookings are rolled out. But the possibility of technical glitches is not reason enough to further delay such a product. We don't want to be sitting here in 2020 wondering when/if we will ever be able to book on line.
It's amazing that DVC does not have on-line booking. The cost of staffing the DVC reservation call center is a huge waste of money
DVC should also sell points on-line, eliminating the overhead of paying guides.

Last edited by Nonsuch; 10-06-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Nonsuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
dzorn
DIS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
It would allow a more informed choice when adding points though resale.

It's amazing that DVC does not have on-line booking. The cost of staffing the DVC reservation call center is a huge waste of money
DVC should also sell points on-line, eliminating the overhead of paying guides.
Given Disney IT department I think they would need to increase MS just to deal with all the on-line mess ups.

Denise in MI
Off Site, SSR 2014 (with the Marching Band), ASMu,AKV, BLT Aug/Sept 2012, AKV April 2012, BCV/AKV November 2011, BB April 2011, CBR,BCV,BWV Aug/Sept 2010, ASMu,VWL Nov 2009, CSR September 2009, AKV August 2009, CSR April 09 ,AKV/VWL/OKW Feb 09, TL April 08, DCL January 08, POR August 2007, POR May 2006, ASMo May 2005

dzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzorn View Post
Given Disney IT department I think they would need to increase MS just to deal with all the on-line mess ups.
Considering my experiences with various Disney websites, you might be correct

In the short term, making no changes is the lowest cost solution.
DVC is a long term commitment for both Disney and owners, so delays due to short term costs is foolish
Nonsuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
.....It would allow a more informed choice when adding points though resale.....

I seriously doubt DVC will spend a single dime towards that goal

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
It would allow a more informed choice when adding points though resale.....
It is going to take you about two months to close a resale from the time you find what you want to buy. In those two months, what you see on day one will not be what you see on day 60.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: