Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

I'll Show You My Lapu Lapu If You Show Me Yours continued...Updated 11/12 w/more pics

Ahh, where to begin? First I guess I have some explaining to do. A year ago I planned and went on a mega trip to WDW and Disney cruise for my son's graduation trip. I started my TR in January of '07 and was doing pretty good keeping up with it. Unfortunately about a week before departure I got somewhat sidetracked and stopped posting. Once we got back from said mega trip I was exhausted and unfortunately had to get back to the reality of life and work. Bottom line, I never finished my TR! So in light of the fact that I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and finish what I start, I'm going to complete it. So here goes!

Before I get into it, a little refresher:

Travel dates were 8/21/07 - 11 glorious days at the Polynesian in WDW. 9/1/07 was our 7 day eastern Carribbean cruise on the Disney Magic.

Characters: Me, my 3 teenage sons. Also along for the ride was my DSis who was 7 months pregnant at the time, her DH, my SIL and BIL from South Carolina and my 5 year old niece.

To read my TR from the beginning click on the link below. I pick up where I left off in the next post.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1311286
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 11-13-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

8/20/07 - "The final coundown!"

If you happened to read the first part of my TR, you know that 8/20/07 was the day prior to the start of our trip. The weekend prior we were supposed to have been fully packed. It was supposed to be a day of primping, pampering and relaxation. with Dsis. After that we were supposed to all curl up in front of the TV and watch Disney movies. NOT!!! The day was spent hurriedly running around doing errands like a chicken with my head cut off.

Add to that the fact that my regular hair stylist wasn't available. I needed my hair retouched and cut. Oh she retouched my hair alright. She retouched it hellfire red which you'll no doubt notice in our vacation pictures. Note to self, must make hair appointment weeks before vacation and don't get hair done the day before!

So anyway after the day's drama I was exhausted but got everything done. The plane tickets were printed, I checked us in for our flight, we stacked our 8 bags of luggugage plus 2 carry ons by the door and I was able to get in bed by 2:00 a.m.

8/21/07 - "We're going to Disney World!"
The alarm went off at 4:00 a.m. but I wasn't really sound asleep anyway. When I went to wake up the boys they shot up out of bed. I hadn't seen anything like that since '04 on the morning of our first trip to WDW. I think we all felt like the little boy in the WDW commercial - we were too excited to sleep!

While the boys got ready to go, I checked and rechecked my to do list to make sure we hadn't forgotten anything. Nope, all my ducks were in a row. My sister was to meet us by 5:15 a.m. and low and below she made it. My Dsis isn't known for being punctual but who can blame here - it was an ungodly hour and she was 7 months pregnant. As she was saying her goodbyes the airport shuttle arrived to pick us up. We were ready to go!

Our 8 bags of luggage!

My son Damian the graduate

My middle son David - Mickey fan since birth

My youngest son Daniel - secret Pooh fan

Dsis doesn't have her make up on yet!

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 10-30-2008 at 04:23 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Hi Lisa Good to see you're writing this, I can still remember seeing you at Kona
Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Hi Lisa Good to see you're writing this, I can still remember seeing you at Kona
Hi Jo! Long time no "see"! Yes, I remember you too! I'm so sorry I wasn't able to join you all that evening. After reading Tracy's TR I see I missed out on a great evening. Now that I own DVC maybe one day we can plan another Lapu Lapu meet.

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

Our 25 minute ride to LAX was pretty uneventful. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic at that time of the morning and we arrived in plenty of time to make our 8:00 a.m.-ish flight.

We checked our bags curbside and off we went through security and to our terminal. After I settled everyone into their seats I looked to my left and made my first DIS sighting. Yup, it was Tracy aka Disneylandmama's family. I saw her dad and almost yelled out, " Hey Waldo!" I looked around for Tracy and didn't see her at first. After taking breakfast orders I started walking toward the nearby Starbucks and there she was! I said, "Tracy?!" I swear, it was almost like running into a celebrity. We hugged and formally introduced ourselves and then went on about getting our families fed.

The two hour wait before boarding was an eternity! We were so anxious to get our vaca on! Fortunately I had brought a DVD player so we passed the time watching Disney movies while clocked ticked slowly.

Where's Waldo in this picture? And can you see Disneylandmama there in her lime green top?

Can we just get on the darn plane already?!

After two long hours we finally board the plane along with Tracy and her lovely family. Did I happen to mention that she and her two kiddos sat right behind us? You see 330 days prior to our trip I booked our flight on AA, row 13. Yes, I'm one of those obsessive planners and got our plane tickets as soon as our travel window opened up. A couple of days after purchasing I checked the seating chart for our flight and noticed that someone had gotten row 14. Who in the world could be as nuts as me and book that far in advance? Well it had to be a DISer!

Let me say that her children were angels! Didn't hear a peep out of them the entire flight. Could it have been the night-night juice? I don't know, but those were two well behaved little ones - Tracy should be proud.

Five or so hours later we finally arrive in Orlando, woohoo!!! I say goodbye to Tracy and promise to try to make it to the Lapu meet at the Poly. We deplane and experience our first "ride" and take the monorail the main terminal. First off we make a quick stop at the Croc store to get DS and Dsis some flip flops. Let the spending begin!

After our short detour we head over to the ME check in. The CM was super sweet, took care of us lickety split and directed us to the correct line where our bus was already waiting. We boarded immediately and then...we waited and then waited some more. Why the heck wasn't the bus taking off? Look driver, I have an ADR at 'Ohana to get to! I have places to go, people to see! After about 15 minutes we finally take off and are on our way, yeah baby!

Do we looked jet lagged or what?

My happy place!

Our home for the next 11 days!

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 09-25-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castillo Mom View Post
Yup, it was Tracy aka Disneylandmama's family. I saw her dad and almost yelled out, " Hey Waldo!" I looked around for Tracy and didn't see her at first.
Fantastic

Quote:
Where's Waldo in this picture? And can you see Disneylandmama there in her lime green top?

Wow you were close, I can see T and Maddie, is that Waldo with the paper over his face?

Quote:
You see 330 days prior to our trip I booked our flight on AA, row 13. Yes, I'm one of those obsessive planners and got our plane tickets as soon as our travel window opened up. A couple of days after purchasing I checked the seating chart for our flight and noticed that someone had gotten row 14. Who in the world could be as nuts as me and book that far in advance? Well it had to be a DISer!
I can remember you having that conversation

Quote:
Do we looked jet lagged or what?
A little
Old 10-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

Oh Lisa, I'm so happy to see your going to give it another go!

It was fantastic to meet you and your family! We'll definately have to meet up again either at WDW or DLR!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! Give the lady a prize! Jo, you are correct, you found Waldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_Mama View Post
Oh Lisa, I'm so happy to see your going to give it another go!

It was fantastic to meet you and your family! We'll definately have to meet up again either at WDW or DLR!
Hi Tracy! Good job finishing your TR. Yes you're right, I need to finish mine from a year and a half ago! Hey, I'm a busy gal what with all our weekend trips to DL. It's a work in progress.

Yes, I'd love to meet up. At the rate we're going we'll probably end up meeting at WDW before DL yet we only live about 15 minutes away from each other.

Have you taken the kids to see HSM3 yet? We spent the day at DL last Saturday then saw it at DTD that night. The boys made me promise not to tell anyone they saw it. I think the attraction for them was all the teenage girls in the audience.

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 10-30-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

So I left off on arrival day. To bring this TR up to speed we had just checked in at the Polynesian Resort which would be our home for 11 glorious days! The only regret that I have with buying into DVC is that we won't be staying at the Poly again any time soon. For anyone considering staying there, do it!

But I digress. The Polynesian was as beautiful as I remembered it from our first trip. We stayed at BC but had gotten a chance to have dinner at 'Ohana. We all loved the atmosphere. Since this was my son's grad trip, he got to choose the resort and fortunately he picked the Poly.

As we walked into the gorgeous lobby I took a big breath and all of the stress of work and every day life just melted away! Check in was super easy and I got my request of Tokelau. The location was central to everything, just as I expected. The room was beautiful but unfortunately I didn't get any pictures. We were in a rush to make it to our ADR at 'Ohana so all we had time to do was drop off or carry ons, do a quick freshening up and off we went.

The check in line for dinner wasn't very long but the lobby area was an absolute mad house. We were told our wait would be about 20 minutes. We were starved but no worries, we knew we'd be stuffing our faces in no time.

Here we are waiting for our table. I was so exhausted I didn't even touch up my makeup before dinner. My hair - OMG! Florida weather does not agree with my curly locks. And to think I paid $$$ the day before to have it flat ironed.

Here's a picture of the boys. That's my son Daniel on the far left. Prior to getting this shot was the first of many pleadings for him to smile in the pictures. This kid does hates posing! That's ok cuz he got the photography bug this year because he's taking it as an elective at school and loves it, he he!

The three year wait for my Lapu Lapu was finally over!

Whoa, that drink packs a punch especially on an empty stomach because I was feelin' mighty mellow when they led us to our table. Yup, I was chilaxin baby!

So we get seated at a great table with a wonderful view of Cinderella's Castle. We were on . Sorry but I was too busy enjoying the rest of my Lapu and the appetizers to get a photo but you get the picture, just close your eyes and imagine.

Dinner was excellent, no complaints here. And that bread pudding - yum! Although we were on the DDP, I had booked the first night as a room only so I payed OOP for this meal. I've read mixed reviews of this restaurant over the years as far as the food and rushed service is concerned but our two dinners there have been very enjoyable. As I was typing this segment of my TR I stopped for a moment and the boys and I reminisced on our first evening in WDW and decided to make 'Ohana an arrival day tradition.

After stuffing ourselves silly, we waddled back to our room.

Happily our luggage was there. Everything, that is except for the garment bag. Yup the garment bag that contained the boys' suits for the cruise and my coctail dress for formal night plus the dress I bought online at Banana Republic that I planned on wearing for our dinner at Palo on the ship. After calming myself down I contacted ME and they told me not to worry and that they would look for the bag. This vacation was for me to de-stress so I took a deep breath, counted to ten and put blind faith in the powers of the ME staff in hopes that the bag would be found.

We had an early morning the next day so we after a couple of hours of Disney TV it was lights out.

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 10-30-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

8/22/07 - Magic Kingdom

A word of warning: It's been almost a year and a half since this trip so the details are slightly fuzzy. If I sound like I'm not making sense sometimes or there are holes in the story, you know why.

At 6:00 a.m. we got the obligatory character wake up call. I believe it was stitch which I found to be very cute even though I hear a lot complaints about it on the boards.

Yay, we were going to MK! I was so excited to finally show my sis around WDW. As tired as we still were, we got right up and got ourselves ready for the day. We made our way to Captain Cook's and had some breakfast. We each had our first experience with Tonga Toast. Talk about sugar overload! It was delicious though but I couldn't finish mine.

One one of the things I loved about staying at the Poly was walking through the lobby each morning on the way to the parks. Loved the monorail access too! Wouldn't it be great if they added DVC to the Poly?

My babies waiting for the monorail all fresh and ready to go!

We made it in time for rope drop but I gotta tell 'ya, I don't remember in what order we did the rides. All I can tell you is that my DIS friend Disneyland Mama was kind enough to write the itinerary for me for this day.

You see, back then when we were only a couple of days away from leaving for the World I still hadn't finalized our touring plan. DL Mama being the obsessive planner that she is couldn't stand it anymore and offered to help me out. I know I have that document saved on my desktop computer but my son is in the middle of typing up a homework assignment so I don't have access to it. I remember she did a great job and the day went smoothly with her help. to Tracy,thanks again!

Oh, one thing I remember about the day is the Stitch ride. I don't know about the rest of you but WDW could've done a better job on that one. Cute sign though.

Waiting to get into the Tiki Room. This is very different from the OG version at DL. My kids don't care for either one but hey, it's classic Disney.

After riding a few more rides we decided to go back to the room for a swim break as any good TGMer would do. When we got back to the room it had been cleaned. Ahh, I love coming back to a clean room after a few hours in the parks.

Our first towel animal of the trip.

My sister's cute prego belly.

We absolutely loved the pool at the Poly. They have an awesome slide and there's a lovely view of the lagoon. We had a blast! One thing I regret is that I wanted to spend an entire day just laying by the pool but we weren't able to fit it in although we did get a chance to take several swim breaks over the course of the trip.

After resting a bit and showering we went back to the MK for the rest of the evening.

This is what happens when you don't practice using your new digital SLR and fancy lens before leaving for vacation.

My son thinks it's funny to ruin vacation photos.

Once again, I don't remember what rides we did but I know we had a blast. We decided to take the boat back to our resort, yet another Poly perk. So relaxing and we were able to see the water pageant on the way back.

We were exhausted and starving once we got back to the resort so we had a late night meal of flatbread at Captain Cook's. Once we got back to the room we went to bed and fell asleep to Donald Duck cartoon. All in all a great day!

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 10-30-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #11
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

8/23/07 - DHS

After a good night's sleep it was rise and shine for our day at DHS. The boys were super excited to be going and I had no trouble getting them out of bed.

My sister on the other hand was another matter. If she's reading this, she knows I love her to pieces but I gotta say, she's not a morning person. The entire trip we battled to get her out of bed. In her defense she was 7 months pregnant, but even pre-pregnancy the blankets have always seemed to be stuck to her like glue in the morning. In all honesty, I'm almost as bad so who am I to complain? But when we're in WDW it's up and at 'em, chop chop cuz we gotta make rope drop!

After another yummy breakfast at Captain Cook's, we were on our way.

Anxiously waiting to get on Rock 'N Rollercoaster, one of our fav rides! Unfortunately my sister who loves thrill rides had to sit this one out but she's looking forward to it when we go on our 4th trip to the World when my youngest graduates in 2011!

We went to see the Indiana Jones show which is ok but I much prefer the ride we have at DL.

We also did the One Man's Dream walk through. I always get teary-eyed at this attraction cuz I'm just a big Disney sap.

I love this picture!

I'd love to have a model like this but where the heck would I put it?

After a fun morning of park touring, we headed for our ADR at Sci-Fi Dine-In.

Our meal of cheeseburgers was pretty standard fare but good. We chose this restaurant mainly for the atmosphere which is really cool. My sister loved it and was right up her alley as she likes all things kitchy and retro.

After our fun meal we made our way to the Lights, Motors, Action! stunt show. It was our first time seeing this show and we loved it, especially the boys.

The boys love this shot.

After the show we needed to stop at one of the shops to find an umbrella for my sister. She's very fair and even with suncreen was burning in the bright Florida sun. We found the cutest umbrella for her, it was black with Mickey ears, adorable!

After some more shopping, riding TOT and a couple more rides we headed back to the resort for a little break.

Who wouldn't love coming back to this everyday?

We rested for a while in the room and then showered and got ready for our ADR at Chef Mickey.

We arrived on time and checked in at the podium then got our pictures taken with Mickey. After our photo session with the Mouse, we popped a squat in the bar area to wait for our table.

We waited about 15-20 minutes and were then led to our table. What can I say about the food? On a scale of one to ten I'd give it 5. It was edible but not much more than that. I much prefer the character breakfast at Chef Mickey. But hey, who goes for a gourmet experience? You mainly go for the atmosphere, right? Now that we've done the dinner here, I don't think we'll be going back anytime soon.

So so food but good times!

So we got our character fix and left the restaurant with full tummies and headed back to the resort for a good night's sleep.

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 11-01-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #12
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

8/24/07 - AK

Today we had to get up super early which was no easy feat. But time is money and as reluctant as we were to get out of bed we knew we would be rewarded with a yummy breakfast at Boma before heading to AK.

The bus got us to AKL on time for our 7:30 ADR. We checked in and were immediately led to our table. No one wasted any time getting over to the buffet. If it weren't obvious that we were a well nourished little group, you'd think we hadn't eaten in days. So far this is our fav buffet breakfast in WDW. The pastries are fresh, the frunch (tropical juice) is delicious and the coffee - so good!

Isn't this picture freakish? Looks like I have two heads!

Unfortunately we didn't have time to tour the resort. My sister was very impressed with the little we saw of this gorgeous hotel. Little did we know that a year later I would buy into DVC and this would be our new "home"! My youngest son Daniel has always wanted to stay here and now he'll get to when he graduates high school.

Stuffed to the gills, it was time to go to AK, so we went outside to wait for the bus.

While we were waiting we noticed this little guy.

Still waiting...

Finally!

We're on our way!

We arrive at AK and the first thing we do is get our ECVs. That's right, I haven't explained how a 7 month pregnant woman was able to tour the parks all day. Before going on the trip my sister told me that she was concerned about all the walking she would have to do. Not only would she be in her 3rd trimester plus she also suffers from chronic back pain. I said no problem, we'd just rent an ECV.

Besides, she'd have me as company. I had to rent an ECV several times as well. For a couple of years I had been experiencing worsening ankle and foot pain. I was in denial but knew it was arthritis. Since then I've been officially diagnosed with it. After a couple of hours of walking I often experience severe pain. Thank goodness they rent ECVs at the parks. It really made for a much more tolerable experience for my sister and I.

So anyway, we got our scooters and made our way to Dinoland after grabbing a FP for EE.

First we rode Dinosaur, a ride which reminds me of the Indy ride at DL- very bumpy but fun! After that we rode Primevil Whirl. Or was it the other way around, hmmm?

I don't know why but I love this ride.

Next we headed to Kill-A-Man-Named-Jaro Safari as the boys call it. Unfortunately the line was 30 minutes. The most we ever wait in line is 20 minutes but we had already gotten a FP for EE and it wasn't time to get another yet. Since the queu is shaded and my sister and I were in our ECVs we decided to go ahead and jump in line. My sister was a little hesitant about doing the safari but she checked with her OB before leaving for the trip and she gave her the green light. I'm glad she got to experience it because she absolutely loved it.

I'll try not to bore you with too many animal pictures.

King of the jungle - majestic but very stinky!

Next we took a short break to quench our thirst. After that we did the Pangani Forest Trail.

So cute!

Can't remember what trail we found this guy on but he was pretty creepy.

After hanging around with the bats for a while, we went to see the tigers which we missed seeing last trip.

We got our fill of animals and headed to see the Nemo show. Wow, huge improvement over Tarzan Rocks! We loved it and have added it to our must do list for the next trip.

After Nemo we used our FP for EE. Disney did a great job with this one, very cool!

It was late afternoon and we were all hungry so we hopped on over to Flame Tree Barbeque. We didn't want to eat anything too heavy because we had dinner plans for later that evening. We all ended up getting a kids meal which consisted of a hot dog and fries.

We then walked over to ITTBaB. No surprises here, it's just like the one at California Adventure. This was my sister's first time seeing it and she liked it a lot except for the stink bug. No one likes bad smells when they're pregnant. Ewww!

The skies began to darken and looked very ominous so we decided we'd better hurry up and get the heck out of dodge before the skies opened up. Unfortunately just as we finished returning our ECVs it began pouring. As inconvenient as it can be to a touring plan, the rain in the middle of a Florida summer fascinates me. I'm still amazed at how hard it rains. We never see anything like that in California and I actually like it except for riding on an air conditioned bus when soaking wet.

We got to the Poly and it continued to pour. By the time we got to our room we were all completely drenched from head to toe as if we had taken a full on shower with our clothes on. Even our underwear was soaked! I wasn't worried because my past experience had been that it would rain for maybe an hour or two and the skies would clear up.

Not this time. It rained, and rained and rained some more including thunder louder than I've ever heard in my life. After a nap and watching TV for a couple of hours the rain still hadn't let up. There was absolutely no way we'd make it to our ADR at Jiko with this weather. The only drawback with the Poly is that the rooms are situated on long houses so you have to walk outside to get to the main lobby and as hard as the rain was coming down no umbrella would keep us dry. I was so disappointed that we were going to miss this dining experience. I decided to take a shot in the dark and called the restaurant to ask if our reservation could be moved up a couple of hours. Yes! They were able to find us something which was shocking for how popular this place is, especially during Free Dining.

Fortunately the rain slowed to a sprinkle so we got ready and booked it to the lobby. I didn't want to hassle with a bus so I called down to Bell Services for a taxi and one was already waiting for us when we got to the Great Ceremonial House.

We made it to Jiko a little late but we only waited about ten minutes before being seated at our table.

Sorry but I have no food porn for this thread. Next trip since it'll only be me and my son I'll have more time to take pictures. I can assure you though that the food was absolutely fabulous. Truly an outstanding meal other than Narcoossee's. I can't remember every meal but this one I didn't forget! For appetizer I had the lamb patis which was seasoned lamb wrapped in phyllo dough accompanied by a mint-cilantro dipping sauce. I usually pass on the mint when I eat lamb but the mint flavor was subdued and the cilantro added extra zing but was not overpowering. For my entree I had the Kenyan Coffee BBQ Short Rib. Wow, best short rib I've ever had! The meat was literally fall off the bone and fork tender. The sauce didn't have your typical BBQ flavor - I kind of went out on a limb with this dish because I don't care for BBQ sauce that much, but thankfully this had a very different flavor. The rib was served over crushed potatoes with an onion-garlic sauce. The potatoes were delicious, similar to mashed potatoes but with more texture and flavor. I coudn't finish my meal because I wanted to save at least a little room for dessert. I had the pistachio creme brulee which was delicious.

I have to say the service here was excellent. Our waiter was extremely attentive yet unobtrusive which is a balancing act not all wait staff can master. My sister had gestational diabetes and didn't see anything on the dessert menu that was sugar free. He said not to worry and brought her a yummy dessert but unfortunately I don't remember exactly what it was. I know she enjoyed it though. We'll definitely be returning to Jiko to try some of their other culinary delights!

After a wonderful and memorable meal, we went back to our resort. As soon as our heads hit the pillow we were out like a light.

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 11-01-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

8/25/07 - Epcot

The alarm went off at a reasonable 7:00 a.m. My sister and I woke up very excited. The plan was to go the Epcot, but the highlight of the day would be the arrival of more family.

We had a big surprise for the boys. My sister's hubby would be arriving this evening and the boys didn't have a clue! The boys are very close to my BIL and spend time with him just about every weekend. They were disappointed at the fact that he wouldn't be able to come along on the trip. They're always rough housing and playing practical jokes on each other, you know, typical male bonding stuff. Little did they know!

My SIL, BIL and 5 year old niece who live in South Carolina would also be arriving. We were thrilled because they had recently moved there from California and we missed them terribly. They would be driving down and were set to arrive at approximately the same time as my sister's husband.

We dragged the boys out of bed and we all got ready. We walked over to Captain Cook's and grabbed a quick breakfast of pastries, milk and fruit and then hopped on the monorail for our short scenic trip to Epcot. Did I tell you how much I loved having easy access to the monorail?

Waiting for the monorail to Epcot. Can you tell my kids aren't morning people? Don't worry, they snapped out of it as soon as we got to the park.

At least one of the boys looked enthusiastic.

The first order of business was to get our ECVs. This was the only time we encountered a rude CM.

Unfortunately my sister forgot her ID in the room. Of course we know the rule is that you have to be 18 to ride/rent one. She offered to show the CM her bank debit card and receipt for the previous day's ECV rental which had the partial debit card # on it but she scoffed and said, " That doesn't prove anything!" My sister pointed to her pregnant belly and the CM went on to say, " That doesn't prove anything either, you look 15 to me and there are a lot of 15 year old pregnant girls running around."

Now don't get me wrong, it was my sister's responsibility to show proof of age, I acknowledge that. But the comments of the CM were waaay inapproriate and insulting. It's difficult to convey in writing how rude she was but take my word for it, she had a definite 'tude judging by the tone in her voice. I calmly asked for the supervisor and explained the situation. She apologized and felt that the receipt and debit card were enough proof and was sorry for the rude comments of the CM. So there!

We aren't the types to let something like that ruin our day so we brushed it off and quickly shot on over to Test Track to grab a FP. We were anxious to get our ride on and headed to Nemo.

So we rode Nemo and walked around the aquarium for a while. For some reason we didn't see Turtle Talk. Gotta add that to the itinerary for next time.

Next we did Journey Into Your Imagination. It was an ok ride, not outstanding but some people really like it. At least it was air conditioned.

After that we rode Ellen's Universe of Energy. I loved this ride!

By this time it was about 12:30 and our tummies were rumbling so we went over to Sunshine Seasons.

We loved it here! They have something for everyone and the food quality is very good, definitely better than average theme park fare. My sister and I had the roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans. David had the salmon which he really enjoyed, Daniel had the Cuban veggie sandwich and I can't remember what Damian had. They also have a wide variety of great desserts. I had strawberry shortcake and my sister had sugar free ice cream. That's one thing I can say that WDW has over DL, just about every place we ate was some type of sugar free dessert on the menu.

Another thing we love about Sunshine Seasons is that it's in a large building that also houses a couple of rides. Talk about convenience!

So we sat around for a little while to let our food digest a bit and then decided to get on a few more rides.

We rode Soarin' which was the same as the one at California Adventure with the exception of the queue. We love this ride though so it was a must do for us.

Next we did Living With the Land which was relaxing and informative.

During the course of the day we were in constant communication with my BIL via text message. It was very difficult to contain our excitement and not spoil the surprise for the boys.

Before heading over to World Showcase, we used our FP for Test Track. Wish we had this ride at DL.

Next we did some shopping at Mitsukoshi, the boys' favorite store in all of WDW and in which I usually spend the most money.

While the boys looked for ways to bankrupt me, I was on a quest for one of my sister's most beloved childhood toys, Monchichi. I remembered seeing it at Mitsukoshi back in '04 but foolishly didn't buy it. Unfortunately they didn't have it this time around. Oh well, maybe next trip. WDW, bring back Monchichi!

After checking out a few more shops we got a text from my BIL letting us know his plane had just landed. Woohoo! So we told the toys it was time to head back to the resort for dinner.

We showered and changed and were ready just in time to get a text from my BIL who said he had arrived at the Poly and was in the lobby. Perfect timing because it was also almost time for our ADR at Kona Cafe.

We walked over to the Great Ceremonial house. My BIL was trying to think of a way he could play some kind of joke on the boys but it didn't pan out. As we approached one of the shops where he was waiting, my son David saw him from behind and said, " Hey, that guy looks just like it Jason." And it was! The look on their faces was priceless! There were hugs all around and but I'm sad to say that during all of the emotion and excitement I didn't get any pics.

While my BIL went to the room to drop off his carry on, I checked us in for dinner. It was super busy and we were told the wait would be about 30 minutes. No worries. What better way to wait it out then by going over to the Tambu Lounge for a drink. Or two.

So after after a couple of yummy tropical libations our buzzer went off so we walked back over to Kona and were taken to our table.

Also arriving to meet us for dinner were friends who came down from Jacksonville. Unfortunately it wasn't in the cards for them to vacation with us but at least we were able to spend some time with them. They arrived just as we were seated.

A few minutes later I got a text from my SIL who had arrived in WDW in pouring rain and said she would meet us at the restaurant as soon they checked in to the hotel for their one night stay at Pop.

A very jet lagged uncle.

Our friends from Jacksonville.

Didn't take long for my BIL to start with the pranks and embarrass my sis at dinner. I don't know what the heck he had in his teeth. This from the primary male influence in my son's lives. And I love him to death!

We had a fabulous time at dinner! My SIL, BIL and niece arrived at Kona and it was more hugs all around. The night was definitely worth all the work it took to coordinate everyone's arrival with dinner. Unfortunately I missed out on something that I was really looking forward to. A DIS meet had been planned for this evening with DL Mama, Lauralee, V and Jo (girls, forgive me if I forgot someone). In the midst of the rowdiness of the evening, I was able to wave to them as they headed to the bar for Lapus. Hopefully I'll be able to join them if a meet is planned for next year!

As for the meal, well it was delish! One of the boys ordered pot stickers which were delish and I had the crab cakes which were very yummy. For dinner I had the teriyaki steak medium rare which was cooked to perfection. My dessert was banana creme brulee which was to die for! The service was also excellent and I have to give kudos to our waiter who took great care of our crazy family. We made sure to tip him well to show our gratitude.

After a two and a half hour dinner we headed back to the room. We were all exhausted by this point of the trip and were looking forward to some down time the next day. The boys and their uncle took quite a bit of time to settle down for the night and we didn't get to sleep until well after 1:00 a.m.

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort

Last edited by Castillo Mom; 11-02-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Wow Lisa loads of updates and I think you're remembering really well

So pleased you got the room you wanted and what a lovely surprise that your BIL turned up. Sorry you couldn't join V, T, LL, S'Late and I but it was nice to wave at you BTW I was scanning your photos for us but couldn't see us
Old 11-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
DisneyRockstar
Could you pass the pixie dust please?

Awesome Trip !!!!! report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: