Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #76
LMO429
DIS Veteran
 
LMO429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,143

Is the Nemo ride in DL really worth it? The one at the Living Seas in EPCOT to me is a bit of a disappointment
__________________

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #77
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger
 
DLR29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, USC!
Posts: 5,470

The Nemo rides are completely different. The Epcot one is more similar to a Haunted Mansion type ride. The one at DL is a submarine ride in which you actually watch out the sub's windows. I felt much more immersed in the DL one. The Epcot one, IMO, didn't have that Disney immersive feel (except for the Eastern Australian Current part).

With that said, the DL is more worth standing in a longer line for. I'm not saying it's worth waiting an hour, but I'd probably wait 30-45 minutes max. It's fun, better than Epcots, but not super amazing. If you are there for 3 or more days, then I would recommend it. For day trips or even 2 day trips I would not put it high on my priorities, unless you have little kids who love Nemo.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #78
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,787

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
The Nemo rides are completely different. The Epcot one is more similar to a Haunted Mansion type ride. The one at DL is a submarine ride in which you actually watch out the sub's windows. I felt much more immersed in the DL one. The Epcot one, IMO, didn't have that Disney immersive feel (except for the Eastern Australian Current part).

With that said, the DL is more worth standing in a longer line for. I'm not saying it's worth waiting an hour, but I'd probably wait 30-45 minutes max. It's fun, better than Epcots, but not super amazing. If you are there for 3 or more days, then I would recommend it. For day trips or even 2 day trips I would not put it high on my priorities, unless you have little kids who love Nemo.
I have not yet seen the Nemo at Epcot (will get to it in May) but I do know that DLR29 is right that they are completely different rides. With that said, I and most others who have been on Nemo at DL agree with the summary above. It is nice, unique, but not a huge "wow" factor.
__________________
Upcoming:
August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #79
mshrm
Mouseketeer
 
mshrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nevada
Posts: 346

Question

Thanks for the NEMO advice. Im still not certain when we will hit this ride. We will have 2 MM with our tickets but still dont know if its worth using that time rather than just biting the bullet and waiting in line at a regular time.

Hydroguy..when you got to the park(in line) at 6:20am, where did you park or how did you arrive?
mshrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #80
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger
 
DLR29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, USC!
Posts: 5,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshrm View Post
Thanks for the NEMO advice. Im still not certain when we will hit this ride. We will have 2 MM with our tickets but still dont know if its worth using that time rather than just biting the bullet and waiting in line at a regular time.

Hydroguy..when you got to the park(in line) at 6:20am, where did you park or how did you arrive?
With 2 MM's, I would certainly use one of them for Nemo. Fantasyland one morning, Nemo the other. Nothing really else is open during MM except some Tomorrowland rides such as Space and Buzz, which can be done any time with FP.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #81
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,787

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshrm View Post
Hydroguy..when you got to the park(in line) at 6:20am, where did you park or how did you arrive?
On that day we were staying at the BWPPI on Harbor so we walked over.

Your larger question about arrival is a good one. When we were there DLR opened the parking garage 30 minutes before MM started and on non-MM days they opened it 60 minutes before regular park hours. If you drive you can still work with that if you have a group. A good drop off place is the small lot on Harbor just south of the DLR entrance. There is 15 minute parking there. We pull in there, drop everyone off so they can get in line, and then I take the car and park. Then I rejoin the group in line. You can arrive as early as you want to do this. But if it is an MM day you have to be on your toes because you need to be sure to get back to the DL gates before the park opens and you only have 30 minutes. That sounds like a lot, but if you add up all the pieces of paying the toll, parking, walking to the tram, etc., it can take 30 minutes.
__________________
Upcoming:
August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #82
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls
 
toocherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
On that day we were staying at the BWPPI on Harbor so we walked over.

Your larger question about arrival is a good one. When we were there DLR opened the parking garage 30 minutes before MM started and on non-MM days they opened it 60 minutes before regular park hours. If you drive you can still work with that if you have a group. A good drop off place is the small lot on Harbor just south of the DLR entrance. There is 15 minute parking there. We pull in there, drop everyone off so they can get in line, and then I take the car and park. Then I rejoin the group in line. You can arrive as early as you want to do this. But if it is an MM day you have to be on your toes because you need to be sure to get back to the DL gates before the park opens and you only have 30 minutes. That sounds like a lot, but if you add up all the pieces of paying the toll, parking, walking to the tram, etc., it can take 30 minutes.
The other complication is if there is a huge line of cars also waiting to get into the parking garage. If MM opens at 8 and the parking garage doesn't open until 7:30, you may not even get parked until almost 8 if there are 30 cars in front of you.
__________________

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #83
sandymandr
DIS Veteran
 
sandymandr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 952

New question

Hi, I've been reading this thread and can't find what I need to know, and I tried a search, but I guess I don't know the right keywords
We are leaving Carousel at 615 on MM, so should be at gates before a lot of the crowds we hope. But, where do we actually go (never been there)? Are there special gates for MM? And is there one that is the best for going to FL? And do you go through security at 7am when they open or have you already gone through and are just waiting at the gates? Thanks!
__________________
sandymandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #84
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,787

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandymandr View Post
Hi, I've been reading this thread and can't find what I need to know, and I tried a search, but I guess I don't know the right keywords
We are leaving Carousel at 615 on MM, so should be at gates before a lot of the crowds we hope. But, where do we actually go (never been there)? Are there special gates for MM? And is there one that is the best for going to FL? And do you go through security at 7am when they open or have you already gone through and are just waiting at the gates? Thanks!
If MM is at 7AM what will happen is that at the security check a not too short but not too long line will develop before 6:30AM. Then at about 6:30 - may change day to day - they will start allowing people thru security to the DL gates.

At that point, you just go to the regular DL gates and line up. No special gates for MM. Some gates will be open that day and some not - usually all the odd numbered or even numbered gates. There are usually CMs there on the other side to guide you and if you are first you should make sure you line up at a gate which will in fact open at 7AM. If you are not first then you will just get in an existing line.

There is no better gate for going to FL. Any gate is roughly equivalent IMO. Once thru the gates you will have to go thru either the left tunnel or right tunnel similar to MK. Some will say that the left tunnel is better because there are stroller rentals near the right tunnel that clog things up a bit. We never pay attention to that. We just go thru whichever tunnel is closest to our gate. Then you are onto Main Street and it is a straight shot to FL.
__________________
Upcoming:
August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #85
sandymandr
DIS Veteran
 
sandymandr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
If MM is at 7AM what will happen is that at the security check a not too short but not too long line will develop before 6:30AM. Then at about 6:30 - may change day to day - they will start allowing people thru security to the DL gates.

At that point, you just go to the regular DL gates and line up. No special gates for MM. Some gates will be open that day and some not - usually all the odd numbered or even numbered gates. There are usually CMs there on the other side to guide you and if you are first you should make sure you line up at a gate which will in fact open at 7AM. If you are not first then you will just get in an existing line.

There is no better gate for going to FL. Any gate is roughly equivalent IMO. Once thru the gates you will have to go thru either the left tunnel or right tunnel similar to MK. Some will say that the left tunnel is better because there are stroller rentals near the right tunnel that clog things up a bit. We never pay attention to that. We just go thru whichever tunnel is closest to our gate. Then you are onto Main Street and it is a straight shot to FL.
Thank you! Great info!!
__________________
sandymandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #86
spaddy
I swear he would make us ride that over and over
 
spaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,094

Love this thread. Well, I guess I just learn the MM days or not on the days posted on the DL website. That sort of changes my whole plan.

We will be staying the the GCH and I don't think we can make it to the gates at 6:30 for the 7AM MM mornings on the Saturday and Sunday we will be there. Do you think it is still worth it if you get to the gates at 7:30? I was really looking forward to the MM on Monday when the gates didn't open until 10AM. We will be leaving Tuesday morning. Oh well.
spaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #87
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan
 
disneychrista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 11,481

Yes, even if you don't expect to get there before opening on MM, you will still get a jump on those who are not using MM.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #88
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in
 
Hound 109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 4,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
Yes, even if you don't expect to get there before opening on MM, you will still get a jump on those who are not using MM.
Agreed. With 15 - 30 min. of MM, i wouldn't waste it at PP or Nemo. (it will eat up the whole time.)

I'd do Buzz, SM....&/or Alice/Toadie/Matterhorn/Teacups etc.
Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #89
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger
 
DLR29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, USC!
Posts: 5,470

Updated to include time of opening of security on a MM day.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #90
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie
 
Lil' Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: chillicothe,oh
Posts: 2,778

..thanks for starting this thread.

..ok hydro guy..are you thirsty for more...

first thing first, are you near..colorado springs...used to live
there @ the academy..in the 70's. go falcons!


..next, i am not the planner...so all of this stuff is way over my
head... ,* my job is to complain..when things don't go
right..[according to my wife ].


...* this is the first time..we are dragging all our kiddies..with us
to disneyland...[ not since the 70's ]....& will be staying @ the
disneyland hotel. we are doing the pc cruise back to fla., so
we only have one day ..@ disneyland. we doing it thru "triple a"...
but does mean we get to "sneak"..in early ?

what this toon town stuff..is it opened before or after the early
hour? is it worth going...our sons...are in college, & have made
it clear..they don't want to be doing character stuff...but our
daughter likes...mickey.

do we need to go to a different area?....& do they do a rope drop
near...mickey?

are they dressed up in the blue outfits?

can i send them off to gather fast passes...while we meeting mickey
or is that not allowed?

are any the places..opened for snacks/breakfast rolls inside the park?

* my boys were on the old sub. ride....but our daughter was born way
passed ...its closure....for tradition , i sure like to get them all together,
on it...so if we do the toon town thingy....would it be worth it after
it opened or before?

does "pal mickey", from wdw..works..@ disneyland?

should we take the monorail ?

do they allow pics-taking of the mickey head..in front of the park before
opening?....& can we get out line..if one of us holding our place?

what does fl stands for?


thanks.
__________________
& = + +
Lil' Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: