Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Daysleeper40
Mouseketeer

Ooo-de-lally Tour September 2007: Day 2 (Shopping & Splashing)

Wednesday 19th September: Weather, Shopping, & the wrong Water Park

Woke up to very disappointing weather and immediately tuned into the weather channel. The forecast was for more rain and cloud and pooeyness and I was not at all happy. Abandoned our plan for Typhoon Lagoon and decided instead to head for the shopping malls.

We got the trolly to Prime Outlets first which is in part still a building site and is going to be massive when finished. I didn’t like it much and didn’t find anything to buy. I do have to admit to being one of the worlds worst shoppers and also being in a bit of a boo about the weather though, so this may have had something to do with my lack of enthusiasm. M fared better and found himself some funky Nike Air Max trainers and t-shirts. At about midday we took a walk to Festival Bay Mall and had some lunch in Fudruckers which was lush. We got a triple cheese burger 1/2lb with frings (fries and onion rings) and a side salad. I had the salad and a share of burger and M had the rest. We also shared a diet coke. M enjoyed the Fudrucker burger concept - you order, give your name and then wait to be called to pick up your basic order with bun, pattie and cheese (or bacon etc depending on what you‘ve chosen). You then go to a salad bar to add any embellishments’ like lettuce, tomato, pickles and sauces etc.

It all went down very well and my mood was lifted as they were also playing BareNaked Ladies music which I love! We had a look round the mall after lunch but I had had enough of shopping and the weather had picked up so we ran (literally) to I-Ride Trolly stop 3 and leapt aboard - destination Wet n Wild water park.

SO approximately 2.30pm and we were entering Wet n Wild for the first time
Paid $5 (+$2 deposit) for a locker and had our first ride of the day on Bubba Tub raft ride which was short but fun.

Brainwash was up next - 53ft vertical drop into 65ft domed funnel - which I really liked but M had expected more from.

It all gets a bit hazy after this as we were running around, being thrown down various tubes and splashing around BUT I think the order went:

Surf Pool - waves from the front and the side
The Flyer - four person twisty turny toboggan ride
Mach 5 #1 - 1700ft of head first tubes over three different courses
The Storm - Shute into a bowl where you spin round and then get dumped through the middle of into a very disorienting splash down.
Surf pool again - more waves.
Der Stuka (M only - I was too chicken) - 250ft near vertical drop. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it!
Lazy River - M had to have some calm after the terror of Der Stuka.
Black Hole - two person 500ft ride in the dark.
The Surge - group tube ride… really tiring walk to the top as I recall.
Disco H20 - Fabulous multi person tube bowl ride with lights and music. Lots of fun and made us both laugh out loud!

Surf Pool again - even more waves
Bomb Bay - Pure unadulterated terror - read below
Mach 5 #2 & #3 - the other two courses of Mach 5.

This order could be completely wrong but what I do know for a fact is that Bomb Bay is hands down the scariest ride I have ever been on. The official description reads “imagine being a bomb as the trap door beneath you opens to a 76ft near vertical slide that drops you to the depths below”. That’s right - you get into a capsule and then THE FLOOR GIVES WAY…

M went first and then I stepped in to the capsule my heart pounding and the adrenalin racing. The operator guy messed with me for a while before pressing the button and for the first time ever on a ride I let out a very loud and entirely involuntary scream. It was terrifying. There was another girl behind us in the queue who decided not to go on after me - I fear I may have scared her out of it!

I really enjoyed Wet n Wild - it was definitely the antidote to the bad weather and we had a fantastic afternoon running around like kids. It wasn’t as pretty as the Disney waterpark (BB) we went to but frankly,the rides kicked ****! If you want to lounge around in nice theming then I'd say head for Disney, if you are more interested in the rides (and we are) then I think you'll enjoy WNW more

I had booked the Busch Gardens shuttle bus for the morning so with a busy day ahead of us we opted for a low key evening back at Sweet Tomatos. We had the works and a make your own sundae each - and after all the stairs we had climbed at WNW didn’t feel bad about it at all!

The days favourite things:

M: Bomb Bay, Disco H20, and The Storm.
F: Bomb Bay, Disco H20, and the Surf Lagoon (I like bobbing!)

Last edited by Daysleeper40; 01-03-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Daysleeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

oooh sounds like a fun day..the food looks great as well

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Another brillant day
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
BRobson
Beavers is a dangerous place to be
I will just have to enjoy Food and Wine and skip the running

A great day at Wet n Wild

BRobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

lovely day

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great day in the end - we loved Wet n Wild too and totally agree that the rides are fantastic. Well done to you for going on Bomb Bay though - there is no way int he World you would get me on that thing - even my DH chickened out and he is pretty daring
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

Wow, you are a brave lady - some of those rides sound terrifying I have never been to Wet N Wild so it was great reading about it, thanks for sharing.

Laur's
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Daysleeper40
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys - it turned out to be a really fun day in the end...

Bomb Bay was brilliant but really really scary. If I ever see that ride attendant again I will have to hurt him as he basically put me through 3 minutes (felt like 3 hours) of torment before dropping the floor of the capsule... My little heart was absolutely pounding!!

Funny thing is, the more I think about it now, the scarier it becomes in my head - I'm not sure I could do it again...

M reliably informs me that Der Stuka is worse though so any kudos should really go to him! (He could be bluffing of course - I need an independent opinion if anyone else has been on both rides??)
Daysleeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Oh wow I'm scared just reading about those water rides, I did do the vertical one at WnW when I was a kid years ago but I couldn't do it now
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Wow great day at Wet & Wild

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
PudseyChancer
Mouseketeer

Agree about Wet 'n' Wild being a bit more 'extreme'! Sounds like you had fun!
PudseyChancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

It has been a long time since we went to wet 'n' wild and it was great to be reminded.

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
cap'njack.
Totally in love with Lisa_C

Sounds like an awesome day. I so wish my aprents had taken us to water parks when we used to go with them I'll have to settle with taking my own kids in a few years

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: