Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #496
BuddyThomas
Mouseketeer
 
BuddyThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
I do think Disney should categorize some of these rooms with really bad views as another room type with more of a discount, for people who don't care about the view and would go into it knowing it was a view of a service area or dirty roof or whatever. "Standard view" in my mind doesn't really encompass a view like that. That way there's no surprises, everybody knows what they're getting, and people who only want the room for the resort's other amenities could be able to get it for a little less! Everybody happy!
That is a truly excellent idea, which of course means it will never happen.
BuddyThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #497
shalom
DIS Veteran
 
shalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
That is a truly excellent idea, which of course means it will never happen.
I believe Yacht Club now offers standard (rooftops or parking lot), garden view, or water view (lake or pool), which is definitely a step in the right direction!
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #498
MSUmom
MSU mom
 
MSUmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 299

I am seeing a theme here about room upgrades. I think they tell you that so you think you are getting a deal and so you don't complain about your room.
__________________
<a href="http://distickers.com/ticker/"><img src="http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/3uhf7kwmkzapcmi1.png" alt="DIStickers.com Ticker" border="0"/></a>
MSUmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #499
BuddyThomas
Mouseketeer
 
BuddyThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmom View Post
I am seeing a theme here about room upgrades. I think they tell you that so you think you are getting a deal and so you don't complain about your room.
I just hate that water view can apparently be a slight little sliver of water that you have to bend all the way across your balcony to see. When I found that out, I downgraded to garden view. Too much more per night for water view for it not to be wonderful. I'll look at some trees instead.
BuddyThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #500
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: On our way Home
Posts: 19,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
I just hate that water view can apparently be a slight little sliver of water that you have to bend all the way across your balcony to see. When I found that out, I downgraded to garden view. Too much more per night for water view for it not to be wonderful. I'll look at some trees instead.
I agree. Disney has a really weird way of classifying rooms as 'water view'
It seems like a peeing statue counts as waterview. I'm surprised they don't upcharge all rooms as water views in the summer and count the rain in
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #501
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: On our way Home
Posts: 19,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
It was pretty bad. And we were pretty upset! We tried to get moved to another resort, but they wouldn't do it. All they offered was a refund of one night's rate (out of the 8 we stayed there). I sent pictures to WDW after we got back and they apologized for the BC staff not taking care of the situation when we were there and then offered us 2 free nights for future use.
Well it's great that they made some sort of attempt at amends and I always appreciate an apology. But what I just don't get is:

(1) That room has quite clearly always been in that location and always had that view; and
(2) that filthy duct and sagging panel didn't just happen overnight

So what I wonder is how many people had stayed in there before you and either not said anything and just gone away unhappy (or maybe didn't care) and how many actually complained but it was glossed over and nothing was ever done about it. It's a bit different to finding a dirty towel lying in the tub that got left behind on the last housekeeping round. These sort of things have been that way for quite some time
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #502
shalom
DIS Veteran
 
shalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
I just hate that water view can apparently be a slight little sliver of water that you have to bend all the way across your balcony to see.
Unfortunately, that seems to be standard with places that charge extra for the view. But we'd still go back to the desk and protest about a "view" you can only see from the balcony, because the view does matter to us and we expect a good one if we'd paid extra.

Well, if it was a pretty view but without water, we might let it slide, but if we paid for a view and got mostly parking lot or a big honking tree blocking the window, we'd turn around and head straight back to the front desk. If enough people complain, Disney does recategorize rooms down to "value" or whatever, or at least IIRC, they have done so with some DVC units at Bay Lake. I think the average Disney visitor isn't too invested in their room view, but if Disney's charging extra for view I'd think people will let them know when they're out of line, so it should shake out a little better after the view category has been around for a while.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #503
mikek
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I agree. Disney has a really weird way of classifying rooms as 'water view'
It seems like a peeing statue counts as waterview. I'm surprised they don't upcharge all rooms as water views in the summer and count the rain in
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Unfortunately, that seems to be standard with places that charge extra for the view. But we'd still go back to the desk and protest about a "view" you can only see from the balcony, because the view does matter to us and we expect a good one if we'd paid extra.

Well, if it was a pretty view but without water, we might let it slide, but if we paid for a view and got mostly parking lot or a big honking tree blocking the window, we'd turn around and head straight back to the front desk. If enough people complain, Disney does recategorize rooms down to "value" or whatever, or at least IIRC, they have done so with some DVC units at Bay Lake. I think the average Disney visitor isn't too invested in their room view, but if Disney's charging extra for view I'd think people will let them know when they're out of line, so it should shake out a little better after the view category has been around for a while.
agreed- many beach resorts seem to think that the ability to see 3 grains of sand is equal to "ocean view"
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #504
mikek
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
I do think Disney should categorize some of these rooms with really bad views as another room type with more of a discount, for people who don't care about the view and would go into it knowing it was a view of a service area or dirty roof or whatever. "Standard view" in my mind doesn't really encompass a view like that. That way there's no surprises, everybody knows what they're getting, and people who only want the room for the resort's other amenities could be able to get it for a little less! Everybody happy!

I'm pretty sure that standard room means exactly that. They aren't going to call it "leftover junk view not included in any other class of rooms" - they already are letting you know that it is not going to be "a view" of anything.

We LOVE booking standard rooms, exactly so we can save the money as it's not important to us. To each his own. We've had rooms with the parking lot view at boardwalk, the ones with the transformers/service area at wilderness, random mess at OKW, construction debris at All Stars. We're in.

If they had a "crappy view" room for even better discount we'd be in for that too- but i understand they don't want to have 20 different levels of views to try and organize.

But if people pay a pile extra like forest view or water view they should get it.

(one non-disney vacation skiiing in Killington VT after a sudden early season snow storm, we checked in a place across from the main lodge and the rooms were all ~300 a night or there abouts. We asked if they had anything cheaper. They hemmed and hawed about 'one room', a room that they called "the bus driver room"- basically when a busload of people comes and stays at the hotel they would give the bus driver a free room if he wanted it. It was IN THE BASEMENT- next to the door to the kitchen. There was a basement window with no view at all, and it was noisy as anything until ~10pm when the kitchen closed. But after that it was fine. They charged us less than $100 for it - and we JUMPED on it. We'd ski and then just hit the bar till 10 and then go to bed. saved more than a few hundred bucks for the weekend. - so if they charged less for the "rooftop" view without sifted stone- I'd be in every time! LOL.)
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #505
ASMx4
Earning My Ears
 
ASMx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1

Regression to the Mean.

Twice in the early 2000's, when using discount codes to get an AKL room @139/night, we were upgraded to Savannah view at no additional charge. Then, in 2007 (I believe) during the AKL construction kerfuffle, we were offered a free upgrade from AKL to either GF or CR. We chose CR and got an awesome room in the tower overlooking Bay Lake. Awesome pics of DD para sailing.

Well, "Regression to the mean" can be a sonofagun.

Room 3027 at AKL in 2008:





The canopy over the walkway to the bus dropoff area.
It was only a minor disappointment that didn't dampen the the trip at all. (Well, I did drink a little more than usual on that particular visit.)
ASMx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #506
peteanddebbie
Mouseketeer
 
peteanddebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayl View Post
I walked in on my MIL in the bathroom when we shared a FW Cabin a few years ago..

That wins for worse room view, I think!
That's funny....and thanks for NOT sharing a pic of that view
__________________
Planning 1st Disney Trip
peteanddebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #507
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ATL
Posts: 615

Was that considered a "garden view". The garden being that you were able to listen to the little birds and bees out waiting for the buses?
__________________
lylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #508
delilah
DIS Veteran
 
delilah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 2,263

We usually stay at AKV. Our last stay was at Kidani 7851. This is in the stretch of rooms along Pembe savanna. Overall, Pembe savanna is a bit depressing. The savanna is "deep" enough, but, the particular animals on that savanna like to hide among the trees at the back of savanna, near the gate to get into the animal care building, so you can't see them or take pictures of them. In addition, the time of day on Pembe savanna when they bring the animals inside for inspection and feeding is from about 7-10 am. So, on our vacation, we got to watch poop rounds, and lawn mowing during our breakfast and get ready to go to the park morning routine. There is a gravel path outside a wire fence, and beyond that is standard Florida brush that you can see anywhere along 192. Speaking of 192, you can see some of the rundown buildings surrounding WDW from Kidani 7851, Probably, had we been staying in 7851 during our vacation in 2011, instead of BLT, we could have had a front row view of the Vacation Lodge fire right from our balcony.

The point is, that we were charged savanna view points for this room, and one room over, 7853, is classified as standard view. 7853 is a 2 BR villa, and 7851 is a 1 BR villa, and the difference in points between savanna and standard view is enough to pay for an addtional night or two at the rate for the time of year (about 45 cumulatively for the 5 days we were there, which is a large percentage of our total points for the year). If I wanted to see Florida scrub from my room, I surely wouldn't be staying in a room that cost so many points. I wouldn't stay in a standard view room at Kidani, because the resort itself is far from parks.

When I wrote to Disney about the experience, the representative gave me some pat answer about how the animals are free ranging, etc etc.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #509
magicmonette
Working on Future DVC Retirement Home!
 
magicmonette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 116



Wilderness Lodge Villa 3562. The view is of the service area and large service building just behind the trees on right. Busy during day with gasoline golf carts and trucks.

End of the wing...very long hallway.
This is 2/3 of way down. However, It IS a very PRETTY hallway.


And the room is odd shopped, with the couch set way from the wall because of the post in the corner.

All views at the villas are charged the same.

__________________
"If we can dream it, then we can do it." - Narrator, Horizon

...it's a blurr! Kids, family, friends, and just Husband and ME! Offsite five times:THEN multiple times at each Fort Wilderness Campground AND the Cabins, All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West and AKL,AKV,BLT,BWV...and on to the next!
magicmonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #510
magicmonette
Working on Future DVC Retirement Home!
 
magicmonette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 116

Quote:
The canopy over the walkway to the bus dropoff area.
It was only a minor disappointment that didn't dampen the the trip at all. (Well, I did drink a little more than usual on that particular visit.)
We were trying to cut from TTC before storm, last week, and I snapped this photo (too quickly...sorry so fuzzy). My husband said, "wouldn't that make you mad if you were staying there?!"

Sorry it was you!

__________________
"If we can dream it, then we can do it." - Narrator, Horizon

...it's a blurr! Kids, family, friends, and just Husband and ME! Offsite five times:THEN multiple times at each Fort Wilderness Campground AND the Cabins, All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West and AKL,AKV,BLT,BWV...and on to the next!
magicmonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: