Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
charliemim
Earning My Ears

hi does anyone use their points to

have a change every once in a while and exchange them for say las vegas for example through interval international and if so how easy or difficult is it to achieve and does it cost many points as we r looking in to buying dvc and my husband says he would rather not go disney yr after yr without a change sometimes *** its me who is the disney fanatic in our house also is it hard to get cheap flights from uk and to match with your booking thankyou for advise
charliemim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

It is not recommended but we have used Interval International for a resort in Devon! I have used points for a Disney Cruise and Disneyland Paris.

However it would be better value for money to let your points out and use the cash to book a holiday.

Having said that we hope to go back to Las Vegas and try an exchange as the Interval International resorts look very good.

Good luck

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

We stayed in Spain once when we had points still on our contract that we couldn't use.

It may be better value for money to rent the points out but quite honestly I don't really want to go through all the hassle. We will probably exchange again sometime in the future, but now we have got used to having a 1 bd instead of a studio the points dissapear pretty quickly

I feel I've paid for the holiday and although you do get the best value at the DVC resorts there are a lot of other places I would like to go and having it pre-paid makes it feel like a good deal to me.
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Graeme
DIS Veteran

I look at it the other way round because I bought a cheap timeshare as a way to exchange to Disney and have done well out of it.
If you own DVC though you need to be really careful where you choose in Interval because some of the resorts are absolute tips. Read Tripadvisor carefully and be aware that DVC properties are at the top end of the Interval spec, alongside Marriotts and a few others IMO.
It really would be better value to rent out your points and buy a getaway from interval. They get ridiculously cheap within about two months of your travel date.
But if you really insist on an exchange, there's always some cheapskate like myself willing to take advantage of your generous nature
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

Smile

We have used our points for a night at the Dorchester ( got free up-grade and room would have been £800 per night so well worth it!). We've also cruised on points and have stayed at the Poly conceirge and Grand Floridian.

We have done one swap with interval international for a resort in Portugal which was lovely, but have tried for several other resorts over the years and never been able to get the dates/resorts we want!

We would also like to exhange for Las Vegas and would love to hear from anyone who has done it!!!
Debsxx
Debs Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
pampat
Never Forget: It was all started by a Mouse!

Although we don't bank our DVC points with II, we have booked with the Concierge Collection lots of times. This is very easy, you just ring Member Services and they make the booking there and then, no waiting. We've loved every place we have stayed and could never have afforded to stay inn them if we had to pay cash. However, DVC seem to have taken all the very best hotels they used to offer, off the Concierge Collection now.

Pam
pampat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Linnty
Linnty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpenguin View Post
We stayed in Spain once when we had points still on our contract that we couldn't use.

It may be better value for money to rent the points out but quite honestly I don't really want to go through all the hassle. We will probably exchange again sometime in the future, but now we have got used to having a 1 bd instead of a studio the points dissapear pretty quickly

I feel I've paid for the holiday and although you do get the best value at the DVC resorts there are a lot of other places I would like to go and having it pre-paid makes it feel like a good deal to me.
hi, am new on the boards, but been DVC member since '96.
I've just done an II exchange and stayed at a beautiful place on Tenerife in Feb for a week. Thats all the time I had and doing longhaul for a week just didnt seem to be practical. We had a great time, just what was needed. I wasnt aware you could rent points out, as I might have done that if I had known. These points had been hoarded for about 5yrs...

How did I do that?? well, during divorce when I couldnt afford to go on holiday, I banked the points from one year into next, almost lost them again due to forgetting and lack of money, so deposited both years points into the exchange program. Again there they sat, with me not being able to afford to go, then when I could there were enough points still outwith I.I. that I had banked and borrowed enabling me to book a 2 bed @OKW!!
Due to a China trip being planned with friends, the I.I. points again were in danger of being lost.. so I booked a trip I knew I couldnt go on, cancelled it a short while later, so they went into holding for a year - saved again!! Theyre what we went to Tenerife with.

The quality was absolutely fine, huge apartment and compared to OKW in size.

I've booked I.I. before, splitting holiday between DVC Hilton Head (home resort) and Charleston - both times I feel I had good value for money staying in a place I would probably not have booked into had I to pay the extra cash for. IMO for the quality you get, its worth the swap.
Linnty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: