Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensamo View Post
Jim won't usually book if we figure we're getting less than $8-10/point return on our booking. Our 1/19/08 cruise was actually better than that - the point rate was probably as good as using it for Disney - and entertainment and food is included! It's not when you're booking Disney, so even if you're only getting $7 or $8 per point on the cruise, that's *all inclusive* - whereas at Disney there's still money you'll have to spend out of pocket. Also, on both cruises we've booked through DVC, our DD was cheaper than if we'd booked directly through Disney, so there's an added bonus there, too.

The change in the points structure for 2009 make it not quite so good a deal, but considering they said there were 680 DVC members on the 1/19 cruise this year, it doesn't really surprise me that they increased the points for the equivalent cruise next year - it makes sense, as apparently it's a more popular time than they had originally anticipated.

We've been DVC members since 2001, and I think we'll start using our points more for cruises and less for Disney. We've paid for them to offset vacation expenses for the next 40+ years - if our vacation happens to be a cruise, then it's silly not to take advantage of what we're spending on our membership to help offset the cost.

Amanda
Uh, yeah. What she said

If we didn't use points for this cruise we wouldn't be doing it as I simply can't come up with that cash given we had an unexpected Colorado trip come up for a wedding this summer. So, if it is between going or not going...yep. I'll use points!

I also don't feel like trying to rent out the points so have no problems getting $8 or $9 per point even though I could rent for $10 or something.

Jim
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
Bytor01
Mouseketeer

"but considering they said there were 680 DVC members on the 1/19 cruise this year"

Wow is that what they told you. When we went last year I wouldn't think there was that many on the cruise. We went from Jan. 13th thru the 20 on the Western cruise. At least there was not even that amount maybe 40 people at the DVC members event. If there was over 600 people I would thknk more would at least come to this event. Maybe I am mistaken and people don't want to be bothered and waste the hour.

Tim
Bytor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #18
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor01 View Post
"but considering they said there were 680 DVC members on the 1/19 cruise this year"

Wow is that what they told you. When we went last year I wouldn't think there was that many on the cruise. We went from Jan. 13th thru the 20 on the Western cruise. At least there was not even that amount maybe 40 people at the DVC members event. If there was over 600 people I would thknk more would at least come to this event. Maybe I am mistaken and people don't want to be bothered and waste the hour.

Tim
Diversions was standing room only for this cruise. It was packed. Walking up and down the halls it seemed like every other door had a DVC magnet on it. Of course, there were also over 1000 children onboard. They said there were over 350 3-5 year olds. The YA folks all agreed this was more than they had ever seen before. There was actually a long line to check in the first at sea day at the Oceaneer's Lab.

Hopefully there won't be quite as many this next time I think our daughter was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of children.

Jim
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #19
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensjro View Post
Diversions was standing room only for this cruise. It was packed. Walking up and down the halls it seemed like every other door had a DVC magnet on it. Of course, there were also over 1000 children onboard. They said there were over 350 3-5 year olds. The YA folks all agreed this was more than they had ever seen before. There was actually a long line to check in the first at sea day at the Oceaneer's Lab.
That was somewhere between 350-400 5-7 year olds, actually (the 3-4s weren't in the lab at all).

It was definitely packed in the Member presentation - I don't know there there was much extra room at all! I don't know what the capacity of Diversions is, but I'm sure we exceeded it.

On our first 4-night Wonder cruise last April, there were maybe 50 people in Diversions. This was probably at least 3x that!

Amanda
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
Eeyore77
DIS Veteran

The January 12th Western Cruise was also packed with DVC members as well. I was used to there being around 50 people on the ship that were DVC, but not this time it was a full house.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #21
Eeyore77
DIS Veteran

Everyone is so quiet!!! LOL! So have any of you started to plan out what you wanna do on the cruise?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #22
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore77 View Post
Everyone is so quiet!!! LOL! So have any of you started to plan out what you wanna do on the cruise?
I'm looking forward to sea days! I'd love to hit some of the Art of Entertaining sessions this time around - though I imagine I'll be on my own, as I think Jim's looking forward to finding a chair on deck 4 to enjoy a book. I'd love to do some of the tastings as well - the margarita tasting sounds interesting!

We did go out and buy a Magic Bullet this weekend at Costco, so I'm also looking forward to making some milkshakes and smoothies and maybe some mixed drinks of my own.

Amanda
Old 02-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #23
TaniaU
Mouseketeer

We're booked! We're booked!

Me and DH and our little boy, Jet (4). Plus Papa, Grandma and Auntie Jess. It's our first cruise and I'm so excited, I just wish it wasn't so far away Can't even book airline tickets it's so far out. But, it gives me time to potty train the boy...and he can be oh so stubborn.

DCL Jan 2009!
DCL Feb 2011!
DCL Sept 2012!
TaniaU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #24
BananaButton
Earning My Ears

Hello! Add me to list of cruisers on the 17 Jan 09 Eastern Cruise!! WooHoo! My best friend and her two boys and myself also just returned from the 19 Jan Eastern and we had so much fun that we've booked for the same week next year! This will be my 4th Disney cruise with another planned for Oct 09 for just hubby & I. My kids have cruised with us twice on Disney but now they're older & not really in to hanging out with mom & dad (oh well). I can't wait. We are considering booking a zipline excursion on our own in St. Maarten. I need to do a bit more research. Also, we did the Eco Hike in St. John this past cruise and we fell in love with it there. The beach we went to (Honeymoon Beach) was gorgeous. So we will definitely be going back to do something on St. John again. Looking forward to counting down with all of you. BTW, only 336 days to go!

July 1997 RCL Nordic Empress
August 2001 Disney Wonder
January 2003 Disney Magic Western
August 2005 RCL Mariner of The Seas
January 2008 Disney Magic Eastern
January 2009 Disney Magic Eastern
October 2009 Disney Magic Eastern with St Croix!
BananaButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Welcome TaniaU and BananaButton!

BB, looks like there are a few of us who were on the 1/19 cruise and liked it so much we're doing the same week next year. We're hoping to make this our yearly cruise

Jim
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #26
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensjro View Post
Welcome TaniaU and BananaButton!

BB, looks like there are a few of us who were on the 1/19 cruise and liked it so much we're doing the same week next year. We're hoping to make this our yearly cruise

Jim
Well, I wouldn't mind doing the Western the previous week at least *once*. But I do love the sea days on the Eastern.

Amanda
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #27
BananaButton
Earning My Ears

Just thought you all would like to know that we only have 331 days to go!

July 1997 RCL Nordic Empress
August 2001 Disney Wonder
January 2003 Disney Magic Western
August 2005 RCL Mariner of The Seas
January 2008 Disney Magic Eastern
January 2009 Disney Magic Eastern
October 2009 Disney Magic Eastern with St Croix!
BananaButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #28
Eeyore77
DIS Veteran

Yeah more people!!! I have never done the Eastern cruise, but I think we will really enjoy it too. We have done the Western twice and it was great. Now this cruise will be our 7th DCL cruise as we are now booked to go on the DVC members cruise in Sept. 08 as well. I just can't get enough of Disney!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #29
gary4jenn
Mary Kay pays my way to Disney!

Add us too please!

I just booked our first cruise ever! It will be me and my 3 (DD11, DD8 and DS6) and my SIL with her DD8. We are leaving the husbands behind and looking for fun and relaxation. We are sooo excited- we haven't told the kids yet but they are a little confused why we are getting passports on Saturday for no apparent reason. Hehehe!

Anyways, it's nice to see so many of you have been on the DCL before so you will be a great source for ALL my questions (wink).

My big question is- how is the weather? I need some guidance in packing. I am one of those really anal planners who buys new clothes and packs 6 months ahead of time~

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/k3h8u9ep9axxvls3.png[/img]

POP & 7 day Eastern Carribean Disney Cruise 1/09, POP 9/08-Mom's trip, POP- 1/08- With the family and our friends, Port Orleans Riverside 1/15/07 -the 5 of us! POP Century 9/13/06- 4 Girlfriends loose in WDW! All Star Movies 1/06- 9 of us for a Grand Gathering! All Star Movies 12/04- girls only, All Star Movies 1/04- the whole family (5 of us), All Star Movies 1/02- my oldest daughter and I (pregnant w/ #3), Carribean Beach 12/01- no kids, All Star Movies 9/01-My oldest daughter and I, All Star Movies 12/00- the whole family, All Star Movies 1/00- no kids (pregnant w/ #2), Coronado Springs 7/99- my oldest daugters first trip!, Grovsner 8/96- before kids and marriage, and 4 times as a teenager in the 80's at the Polynesian

Last edited by gary4jenn; 02-23-2008 at 08:06 AM.
gary4jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #30
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4jenn View Post
I just booked our first cruise ever! It will be me and my 3 (DD11, DD8 and DS6) and my SIL with her DD8. We are leaving the husbands behind and looking for fun and relaxation. We are sooo excited- we haven't told the kids yet but they are a littl econfused why we are getting passports on Saturday for no apparent reason. Hehehe!

Anyways, it's nice to see so many of you have been on the DCL before so you will be a great source for ALL my questions (wink).

My big question is- how is the weather? I need some guidance in packing. I am one of those really anal planners who buys new clothes and packs 6 months ahead of time~
The weather on the 1/19/08 cruise was perfect until we hit Castaway Cay. It was in the mid 80's at St. Maarten and St. Thomas. A brief rain shower moved through while at St. Maarten but it only lasted a few minutes. The evenings cooled down a bit but I was still comfortable in shorts up on deck (and I tend to be cold). CC was cold and windy as a front was moving through or had just moved through. There were still some people in the water, but not me!

We had a tough time packing as we expected the nights to be cooler. We ended up with two sets of clothes each day with shorts/t-shirts for the first part and long pants and shirts for the evening. It worked out fine since we wanted to dress up a bit for dinner and actually go every night.

Welcome to the cruise!

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: