DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Considering Renting from a DVC Member?

There are some good threads on this board and others, as well as postings from various members that say some great things. Given the recent postings from some folks concerning renting and issues/problems with renting, I'd like to post this summary of things to consider -- targeted for all those potential renters out there. I'd also like to thank all the folks I've plagiarized in putting this together!

There are two ways you can stay in a “Disney Deluxe Villa Resort” (Disney Vacation Club Villa):
  • Call WDW reservations (aka CRO), just like any other resort, and book a villa at a Disney Deluxe Villa Resort
  • Rent points from a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) member
Disney allows the general public to book DVC units at rack rates through its regular resort reservations system, when available. Renting points from a DVC member is a much better deal, as it typically costs much less to rent from a DVC member than to book a DVC resort direct from Disney.

If you do decide to rent points from a DVC member, there are a few things you should be aware of so that your experience is nothing less than magical.

While commonly referred to as “renting points”, you are actually paying a DVC member to make a reservation in your name with some of the points they own as DVC members.

Keep in mind that this is a private transaction between two people, and Disney is not involved in any way. If anything goes wrong, you can’t complain to Disney or expect them to resolve any problem. To repeat this very important fact: All transactions are between private individuals as negotiated between themselves. Disney will not get involved in any transaction problems or disputes.

Until you physically check-in, the DVC owner controls the reservation, even when it is in your name. An unscrupulous owner could potentially cancel your reservation and steal your money, and Disney will not get involved. Also, someone could pose as a DVC owner just to get your cash. This risk is what gets you the big discount, and renting is not for everyone. Renting points takes some work ahead of time to protect yourself and minimize the potential risk of these types of transactions.

That said, fraud almost never occurs in DVC rentals, as reported instances of fraud occurring are extremely rare. Thousands of successful rental transactions have been completed throughout the history of the DVC program, and the savings are obvious.

We don't often see problematic DVC rentals, and when we do they are usually due to misunderstandings between the DVC owner and the renter. Unfortunately, a lot of those misunderstandings come from lack of knowledge about how DVC works and how that differs from a traditional hotel reservation -- or a DVC reservation made through Disney CRO, for that matter.

You would think that the DVC owners all have perfect understanding of their accounts, and it's the people renting reservations who don't get it. You'd be dead wrong. Too often, neither party really understands the situation well enough to be able to anticipate problem areas. That’s why it’s important to rent points from a DVC member who has done it before. Take some time yourself to get educated on how DVC works before looking to “rent points”.

Please use due diligence before entering into any agreement and certainly before sending any payment. Renting points requires trust on both sides of the agreement, but even with trust there is a need for you to do some due diligence and common sense checking before sending off your money to a total stranger.
  • Ask for references from the DVC member who is renting the points, and check their references. Good references show that a DVC member has had successful rentals in the past, and is knowledgeable about the DVC program. You are more likely to have a miscommunication with a DVC member who is renting their points for the first time.
  • Don't rent from any “member” who has only made a few posts on a rental forum. It could be an indicator of a scam. Review past posts for the person you are working with so you can get an idea what type of person they may be.
  • Get the owner's full name, home address and home phone number before sending any payment. To the extent possible, confirm that the information is valid.
  • Confirm that the person is, in fact, a DVC owner by running a search at the Orange County Comptroller web site (this site only reports owners of WDW DVC resorts).
  • There should be a written contract or letter of agreement, signed by both of you, spelling out exactly what the rental will cost, when payment is due, dates of the stay, etc.
  • Never pay a total stranger by using a "cash equivalent" such as Western Union or money order.
In summary: never, ever send money to anyone until you have confirmed their true identify and that they are, in fact, a DVC member, and you have a written agreement. If something sounds "off," don't proceed. It's not worth taking the risk. Any DVC deal that seems too good to be true most likely is.

Also, please keep in mind the following important points:
  • Be aware that the Disney Vacation Club will not speak with renters or give them any information. They won't take a room request from you; they won't confirm you have a reservation; and they won't make Magical Express arrangements for you. Only DVC owners can speak with DVC about reservations. Any changes and any additions like the Dining Plan or Magical Express will have to be made through Member Services by the owner. You will pay for the Disney Dining Plan during check-in at the resort. You can make your own dining reservations through the Disney dining number. Park tickets cannot be purchased through the DVC member. You can purchase your tickets on your own.
  • DVC is a timeshare and not a hotel. A DVC reservation is very different from a regular hotel reservation and the limitations / restrictions / penalties on the owner may make cancellation and rescheduling difficult or impossible. Those problems vary from owner to owner, from rental to rental, and you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the owner is under. If you get in a position where you have to cancel a rented reservation, the owner may not be able to help you. Many owners have a “no cancellation/no changes/no refunds” policy. Be sure you fully understand what will happen if your plans change. That is critical, and if you are not comfortable with the answer, a DVC rental is probably not for you. DVC rentals do not work well for people whose plans are not firmly set. You'll have much better cancellation policies when booking through Disney’s CRO than renting points.
  • You will probably need a much larger deposit and have to pay in full much earlier when renting points than with using Disney CRO. You may need to pay with a cashiers check instead of being able to use your credit card.
  • You do not get daily maid service when you rent from a DVC member (while you do get daily maid service if you make the reservation through Disney CRO). You get your trash emptied and new towels on day 4 of a vacation, and if you stay 8 or more nights, on day 4 you get a full cleaning, and day 8 would be the trash & towel service.
  • While you will receive all the standard perks of staying onsite (Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, etc.), please be aware than renters typically do not get to take advantage of DVC member perks such as discounts, free valet parking, etc.
  • The DVC system is complex and takes some time to understand, and many rental difficulties or misunderstandings are from good people with good intentions, who misunderstand the subtleties of the system.
I hope the above information is helpful to everyone considering renting points from a DVC member.

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

Last edited by DVC Mike; 01-14-2008 at 07:28 AM.
DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Very nice Mike!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. Is there any well known renters that someone could feel very comfortable with?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
JJ&JSMOM
DIS Veteran

Great info & advice. Now if I could just get the courage to try it.

[
JJ&JSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there any well known renters that someone could feel very comfortable with?
Unfortunately, that would be the commercial renters....

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
Mamadis
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the great summary.
Mamadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
crisi
DIS Veteran

Additional point:

Some DVC rooms at some resorts at some times of years book quickly - a very few very quickly. Everything is difficult to get when you start talking sixty days out or so. You will be an easier renter for someone to work with (and have more chance of getting responses) if you have several choices that will make you happy. i.e. your first choice may be BWV Standard View, but if that isn't available (and that is one that often books fast) you may want BCV (which also books fast) and be willing to stay at OKW if nothing in the Epcot area is available.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
LewL
Earning My Ears

Good write up. I have rented points two times and was very happy with the outcome. It does take a lot of trust though.
LewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
jimandami
DIS Veteran

That was a great summary with good info! I do have a question if you don't mind. I know as a renter, you cannot call DVC MS and ask questions or confirm the reservation. However, can you call the villas directly and confirm your reservation (Like a week before or so?)? My family and I are leaving in 2 weeks and I would like to confirm our reservation one last time without bothering our DVC member.

Thanks,
Ami
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
That was a great summary with good info! I do have a question if you don't mind. I know as a renter, you cannot call DVC MS and ask questions or confirm the reservation. However, can you call the villas directly and confirm your reservation (Like a week before or so?)? My family and I are leaving in 2 weeks and I would like to confirm our reservation one last time without bothering our DVC member.

Thanks,
Ami
The ressies are now turned over only a couple of days before arrival date. You can call the resort then to check.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
kimberh
DIS Veteran

good info. I'm giving this a bump.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #12
shellbelle1971
7 young DIS-ers in our castle

Thanks, Mike! I wish this were a sticky on the rent trade board.

supporting cast:

Ethan Charity Elijah Calvin Levi Naomi & Ivy
shellbelle1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
Never pay a total stranger by using a "cash equivalent" such as Western Union or money order.[/FONT][/LIST]
So renters,

Never rent from me. Because I asked for money orders/bank drafts. and will if I ever do it again.

Lisa
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but couldn't keep the sarcasm in. I don't know. I hate to be negative. It's very thoughtful of you DVC Mike to put this together. Honestly. No sarcasm.

However, there have been so many postings about what a renter should or should not do that there is a growing number of renters, a minority of course but growing, who request so many stepping stones for trust and a guarantee of nothing going wrong. Last year, a renter couldn't find a DVCer's name, who by the way had I think at least 1 700 posts (was it 3000?) on the DIS, on the comptroller's site. So the renter then extended their wants to a photocopy of the owner's DVC card with their # blanked out. Their right to ask of course. But really. Thousands of posts on the DIS. And in the end the DVCers name was put in the comptroller's search engine incorrectly. I"m smiling. She, the DVCer, decided to give the points to a relative instead, I believe.

I also know that there are some DVCers who want all the money upfront before or just after they book. And the transactions are smooth. I didn't. But that's none of my business. It's theirs. And of course their right as owners. Yet I've seen other owners post warnings to renters in renting threads to never give all the money upfront. What do these kind of statements say about honest DVCers who have these terms?

So I don't know. I think we all need to be careful in telling renters what they should never accept, money orders and payment timing (not you...DVC Mike) just being two examples, because everyone has different terms for their own reasons. Statements like that often lead to increase in suspicion. Renters need to go in with eyes wide open for sure. Very important. But there needs to be a balance between being alert and trust.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 01-13-2008 at 08:16 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
  • Confirm that the person is, in fact, a DVC owner by running a search at the Florida Comptroller's Office web site (this site only reports owners of WDW DVC resorts).
Actually, Florida hasn't had a "Comptrollers Office" for a number of years, and even if we did, they wouldn't be any help. In Florida, property records are kept at the county level.

The correct entity to check with for WDW DVC ownership is the Orange County Comptroller's Office, which can be found by clicking here. This will only cover onsite WDW resorts -- not Vero Beach or Hilton Head.

In using that site, understand that online public records are only as complete, up-to-date, and accurate as the parttime, minimum-wage clerk who made (or failed to make) the entry. They tend to be a very imperfect source of information. Also, if there is the slightest misspelling or a hyphenated name, you may get no response.

You have to also read the documents carefully and be sure you understand what you are reading (this site gives you scans of the actual document).
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
hockey_chauffeur
Earning My Ears

As a relative newbie thinking about renting out some points this is very informative but also makes the process seem a bit daunting. Sort of a catch 22 for first timers given the advice about not renting from or to people with few posts. Thanks for the info.
hockey_chauffeur is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: