Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #226
cdotla
Trish

DAY 5: AIRPORT DRAMA CONTINUED

I continued waiting in my seat for any news. Eventually the pilot came on and announced that we would be leaving. One of the flight attendants came back and advised me that they had not been able to turn up anything on the camera.

I am surprised I was able to hold it together. By this point there was no more keeping up a brave face for DD. I told her that it was gone.

We got pushed back from the Gate and started taxing down the runway, taking off from Orlando and leaving our camera behind.

Shortly after we levelled off and the routine announcements were completed, the pilot came over the speaker and made the following announcement:

"I just want to say that for the lady who lost her camera, it has been found. It should be waiting safe and sound for you in Toronto".

I just about shouted for joy! All of the other passengers around me, who by this point were somewhat aware of the situation, congratulated me and of course DD was so happy that her regular mommy was back. (For the last 20 minutes I basically could not even talk to her I was so torn up.)

The flight attendant then came down to advise me that it had indeed been left at the front check-in desk when I had returned to check the gift basket. She advised that it had been placed in a box with the gift basket and that I could claim it at the Baggage Counter in Toronto.

Finally, I could sit back and enjoy the Flight!

Unfortunately, my relief was short-lived. After arriving in Toronto, and spending over an hour trying to claim my package, WestJet finally admitted that there had been an error and the package was not actually on the Flight.

They advised that they were confident that it had in fact been located at the front check-in desk but that the package did not make it on the flight in time. The plan was for the package to be sent out on the next flight the following day.

With nothing else I could do, we left to go to our Gate for our connecting flight and made the sad flight home without the camera.

That evening and the next day, I was on the phone almost hourly with airline employees to confirm that my camera was in fact located and would be on that day's flight. Finally, 2 hours after the Orlando - Toronto flight landed at Pearson I received a call to advise that my package was again not on the flight. No one seemed to know why and since the employees who worked in Orlando only did 1 flight a day for WestJet, there would be no answers until the next day.

By this point I was furious. In the first place, I could not understand how or why the camera was not delivered to me on the plane by one of the agents at the front check-in. As this was the only WestJet flight of the day out of Orlando, and the flight closed while I was at the desk, there were no more passengers for them to process. Surely one of these two agents could have ensured that the camera was delivered to me at the gate before the flight took off.

Alternatively, why could they not have called to let the gate or the flight crew know that they had the camera? If I had been advised before the flight took off I would have disembarked and waited until the next day to fly home rather than leave the camera.

Now, there were continued errors in that I was advised for two days now that the camera would be on the Orlando to Toronto flight and it was not.

As I saw it, the more time that passed, the less chance I would have of ever seeing that camera again.

The following day I was on the phone to numerous agents trying to confirm that the camera would be delivered. I spoke to a total of 5 agents in Canada (two in my hometown, two in Toronto and one in Calgary). Shockingly, all advised me that they had no way whatsoever to telephone WestJet agents in Orlando to confirm that the camera would in fact be on that day's flight.

I then called up the Orlando International Airport myself, asked to speak with the WestJet ticket counter, and after 2 minutes on hold was speaking with an agent. She of course knew of the situation and assured me that the camera would make that flight. It did.

When I finally got the package, I was very nervous, expecting that the camera would either be broken from the cargo ride home, or that the memory card would not be working. I was almost in tears to discover that the camera was fully intact and working and discovering that all 700 of my pictures from the Trip were still on the memory card!

I cannot even express the relief, joy and happiness I felt at that moment.

UP NEXT: FINAL THOUGHTS

Last edited by cdotla; 01-13-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #227
cdotla
Trish

Glad to know I am not alone! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLaura View Post
First I want to commet on the Princess Tea Party. We are going to WDW in Nov 2009 and my kids will be DS10, DS8 and DD4 and seeing those photos just confirmed that me and DD will be doing that tea also. I totally think it's woth the money but that's me, to do at least once. Now the cherry thing , I'm still laughing. I would have been mortified as well, yucky. If this makes you feel better, I took DS8 and DS6 for a haircut yesterday at the barber. Well they give the kids lollipops when they are done and the barber gave one to DD2. She apparently dropped it on the floor and then picked it up and put it right in her mouth before I could grab it. So at least the cherry was clean. Glad that you were able to enjoy an adult meal. Enjoying your TR and the video was very nice.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #228
cdotla
Trish

Thanks everyone for posting and your kind words.

It's great to see I picked up some new readers on my Last Day!

Last edited by cdotla; 01-13-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #229
tadamom
DIS Veteran

Sooooo glad that things worked out, I can relax now.
October 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort with the whole fam! October 2010 - All Star Movies --1st family trip with just the 4 of us!!! Awesome!
September 2012 - All Star Sports w/the whole family! B'day trip for Michael!
November 2013 - Coronado Springs! B'day trip for Parker!
March 2014 - 1 night at Pop Century for SIL's Disney wedding!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #230
JoAnnPan
DIS Veteran

Wowsie..soooooo glad you received your camera back...I cannot even imagine how you were feeling. Thanks again for sharing your trip with all of us.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #231
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy you got your camera back! Even though it took a few days and it must have been terrible to just wait, in the end you didn't lose your pictures. I'm happy to hear that the agents at the ticket counter took care of your camera, even if it didn't get to you when they said it would.

Are you ready to plan another trip to Disney?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #232
mkluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

You told that story so well! Glad your camera got back in working order. I can't imagine how stressful those few days of waiting must have been!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #233
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

I too am glad that you got your camera back, I know that panic feeling of how can I lose something.

Can you also pm where you got the lovely clothes for your daughter, and also your experience with Customs and US vendors. I like you also buy things on line and have them shipped to the hotel I am staying in at the states, I hate to pay the extra customs and duty charges.

Thank you for sharing your report, I am even more excited about taking my girls myself in March.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #234
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

glad this camera story turned out better than the last but to have to wait 2 days for it. I would have been going crazy.
glad u got it.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #235
DisneyLaura
A Dream is A Wish Your Heart Makes

I am so happy that you got your camera back and with every single picture. I can't even begin to express what I would have felt like too. For it to happen again, losing a camera and losing those pictures again. I am so happy for you. Can't wait for more.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #236
JustMickey
DIS Veteran

I've been following your TR for awhile now. I almost cried when I first read that you didn't have your camera on the airplane. Of course I realized a few seconds later that it must have turned up eventually with all those photos you've posted. I bet it was pretty emotional to write these installments of your TR, that doesn't sound like a fun thing to reminisce about. Other than that, sounds like your trip was a blast. I've enjoyed reading your whole report. Hopefully you can have many more Disney trips for your kids in the future!

OH BOY!

PTR
Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #237
Girldreamer02
DIS Veteran

I've read your whole trip report and I love love love love it!!! Your daughter is so precious and awesome! Love all the pictures and I am so glad that you got your camera back in tact. We just got a new camera before we went for Christmas and I would of been devastated if anything were to happen to it as we took lots of pictures too. Can't wait to hear your final thoughts, but at the same time am so sad that your trippie is almost come to an end. Great job!

*ASM Aug '10 & BLT DEC '10*AKL & Disney Magic Jan '09 Became DVC Members @ BLT*Disney Wonder July '08*
*AKL Dec 22-30 '07*Engaged at CRT Dec 16 '06*CSR Dec 15-22 '06*
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #238
twob4him
DIS Veteran

OMGosh I just about died reading this but thank goodness you got your camera back....
Old 01-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #239
cdotla
Trish

Always!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Are you ready to plan another trip to Disney?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #240
cdotla
Trish

I wish I knew how to do multiple quotes, but I haven't yet figured that out!

So...in order to avoid doing multiple posts on the same topic, let me just say thanks to everyone who expressed their relief at the outcome with the camera. There is really no way to describe how low it felt for me for 3 days to be without my camera, thinking all the while that there was a very good possibility that it was forever lost! For the 2nd time!!!

There is also no way to express the relief in having it returned!

As someone even surmised, this last post was actually kind of a downer as it really brought back all the stress and emotions again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: