Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
ls1222
DIS Veteran

Dog just ate apple core with seeds!!

My dog just got into garbage and grabbed the apple core with seeds and ate it before he would let me grab it. I went online and it says they are poison to dogs. What should I do????
Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

I don't know how poison they are but I can tell you my dog has grabbed many of them out of the garbage and eaten them over the past 6 years of his life and he is still alive and kicking....
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

really, posionous? I had a dog do that when I was a kid, he was fine and we had a tiny apple tree sappling grow in the yard that next spring
Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Honu
I have a 3 ft. personal space area around my body – I’m not above swinging my arms, purse or the dog to clear the area
My parent's probably would have let the curfew slide if it weren't for that swat team thing

I'd just watch him. It may give him some tummy trouble, but if it gets worse take him in. I know better now, but growing up our dogs regularly ate apples and grapes from our yard and they even got into chocolate without any issues.
Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
MickeyMouseGal
Have A Zip A Dee Doo Dah Zip A Dee Day!!!
Believes in Natural Selection

Unless your dog is teacup sized, I wouldn't worry about it. There are trace amounts of cyanide (I believe) in apple seeds, but a few seeds won't be enough to cause any problems. When I was a kid, my brothers used to feed our Bassett hound apple cores and he lived to a ripe old age.

MickeyMouseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
ckret01
DIS Veteran

I've given my Yorkie pieces of Apple and she loves them. I had no idea they were not good for dogs. Nothing ever happened to her. My sisters dogs just ate bags of minatures chocolates last week and nothing happened to them. I would just watch your dog but I;m sure he will be totally fine.
ckret01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

apple seeds contain cyanide but he would have had to have eaten a large amount to have it bother him.

I do know someone whose dog actually did die from eating them but the dog ingested a lot of them over a period of time, not just one.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Toby'sFriend
The thing about growing up with Fred and George is that you start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

never knew that --

from Googling around it appears that unless your dog ate a bushel full of apples or is very tiny, he is probably ok.

Also, it appears that most of the chemical is in the center of the seed and he needs to bite down onto the seed to release it. Since dogs tend to gulp, that tends to happen infrequently.

observe for uncoordinated movement or breathing difficulties.
Toby'sFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby'sFriend View Post
never knew that --

from Googling around it appears that unless your dog ate a bushel full of apples or is very tiny, he is probably ok.

Also, it appears that most of the chemical is in the center of the seed and he needs to bite down onto the seed to release it. Since dogs tend to gulp, that tends to happen infrequently.
Like the recent cat watch thread, where it was pointed out you never see dead cat skeletons in trees - you never find dead dogs laying next to a garbage can after digging out & eating a few apples.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Get him to do his business in the part of your yard where you would most like to start an orchard. . .

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
weregoingtodw
Save the cookies for the TF
He knocks my socks off
I'm a green freak myself
I was so excited that I couldn't type!!!

Hydrogen peroxide (in a small amount - ask your doctor for specifics) will induce vomiting.
weregoingtodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Too late to help now, but the peroxide thing I know by heart, Sadly, I have a muncher. She eats anything and everything, a plate of brownies, a bottle of Singulair, a pack of sugar free gum. We do the peroxide thing in a little baster like device all the time. Works like a charm, but does induce repetitive, sympathetic throw ups in the rest of us.

No matter how we put things away, this dog is a Hodini. She can sniff out a treat from a thousand paces, figure out how to get into high places. She is the unstoppable wonder muncher.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
DaParkers
The original DISard of Oz!

Dogs are very tough. He'll probably be ok. I had a dog eat an entire easter basket of chocolate and nothing happened. Not even vomiting. More dogs die from dog food poisoning than any other kind.
DaParkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
Todd&Copper
Sweet Chicken, that is one that ALWAYS gets my goat!

Did your dog chew up the seeds or swallow them whole? My Malcolm has swallowed many an apple seed whole and is no worse for wear.
Todd&Copper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: