Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #76
.:Disney.:.Freak:.
Mouseketeer

We haven't recently driven down but when I was younger (about 9 years ago or so) we drove down to Florida twice and we hated. I hate driving to Florida. That's why we always fly down now the past few years. I think the only places we drive to for vacation is Ocean City MD and Myrtle Beach SC.

I <3 Kelsey (My Disney Princess)
Old 12-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #77
TSMAMI
There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Disney.:.Freak:. View Post
We haven't recently driven down but when I was younger (about 9 years ago or so) we drove down to Florida twice and we hated. I hate driving to Florida. That's why we always fly down now the past few years. I think the only places we drive to for vacation is Ocean City MD and Myrtle Beach SC.

We drive to Ocean City Maryland too. Love that place!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #78
digskat
Got Goldendoodle?
"I don't feel like dancin'"
Why is it when I hear this song all I want to do is DANCE??

about 2800 miles round trip here. Other than the crappy signage and constant detours in Detroit, we enjoy the drive. We have done it 4 times, 3x in the last 24 months. We do the countdown, and celebration with the passing of each state sign.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #79
MinMouse
DIS Veteran

We have driven to WDW 7 times. Not all in one year although most year's we drive down at least twice. Our trip from Delaware is just over 2,000 miles round trip. We like to leave between 2 & 4 a.m. to get through the DC traffic. We drive into Florida and stay overnight there. Sometimes we stay in Jacksonville (which leaves us 3 hours or so to WDW) and sometimes we stay in Lake Mary (only about 35-45 minutes from WDW). We check in and head to a park all refreshed. Great thread! I love reading how others plan their driving trips. We do breakdown and fly if the price is right though!

Been there. Done that. Can't wait to go back!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #80
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMouse View Post
We have driven to WDW 7 times. Not all in one year although most year's we drive down at least twice. Our trip from Delaware is just over 2,000 miles round trip. We like to leave between 2 & 4 a.m. to get through the DC traffic. We drive into Florida and stay overnight there. Sometimes we stay in Jacksonville (which leaves us 3 hours or so to WDW) and sometimes we stay in Lake Mary (only about 35-45 minutes from WDW). We check in and head to a park all refreshed. Great thread! I love reading how others plan their driving trips. We do breakdown and fly if the price is right though!
Hopefully you miss that $4.00 Delaware toll!

For New Jersey drivers heading south: $3.00 Delaware Memorial Bridge toll; $4.00 Delaware I-95 toll; and the $2.00 Baltimore tunnel toll. After that: $0!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 12-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #81
MinMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Hopefully you miss that $4.00 Delaware toll!

For New Jersey drivers heading south: $3.00 Delaware Memorial Bridge toll; $4.00 Delaware I-95 toll; and the $2.00 Baltimore tunnel toll. After that: $0!
Nope we're in north Wilmington . . . about 1 mile from the DE/PA border . . . so we too get to enjoy the $4 toll. Sometimes DE is the worst part of the trip! On our first drive down we were shocked that there weren't any tolls south of Baltimore!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 AM   #82
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:

Gas prices on our trip last week varied from a low of $2.85 in GA to a high of $2.98 just south of DC along I-95. And the prices did drop in one week along the multi-state trip. The WDW Hess dropped 2 cents while we were there.
That's positively CHEAP compared to our prices up here in CT. Average, I'm guessing, is around 3.10...maybe a bit north of that...right now.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #83
becca011906
DIS Veteran

We drive about 2040 miles there and back that doesn't include driving around while we are there. we have done it a lot of diffant ways...

the first trip me and dh only we left around 8 AM stoped somwhere in GA, then got to Orlando around 2PM the next day.

In 2004 we flew the first and only time ... we didn't pay for it my grandparents did, we wanted to drive but they insisted on us flying with the kids... never again, it wasn't fun even though it was only 2 hours...

In 2005 we left around 3PM to drive all night, it was HELL!!! Awful we stoped around the south side of Atlanta to sleep at a rest stop and of course the kids all woke up, it was awful to say the least... we got to orlando around 1PM and couldn't get into our resort till 4PM not fun to find something to do with very tired kids... but it's how our friends wanted to drive down... NEVER take friends!!! LOL

In 2007 we left around 5AM got to south side of GA and stoped around 5PM for the night, left around 8 and got there around 2 i think, it was a nice drive but seemed to last a LONG time...

this trip we will get the kids out of school around 3PM leave then stop around 1 or 2 AM then drive the rest of the way...
1-August 1997 Stayed off site 2-July 2001 FF Cyprus Palm 3-March 2004 FF Cyprus Palms 4-Sept. 2005 Bonnet Creek 5-Feb. 2007 FF Cyprus Palms 6-March 2008 1st time onsite at Port Orleans 7-March 2009 at Bonnet Creek 8-March 2011 not sure yet!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #84
Harley-Mouse
Member of the Jellyrolls Rockettes
Likes B-E-E-R

We will drive this July

We have many trips to WDW but never drove. WE have made the drive to HHI 3 times. Not to bad I like to drive straight thru. We hit the road at 11:00 pm or so and I do all the driving. I will hit the road on a Friday night at 10:00 pm and hope to get some where in Florida to look for a room for the night. What is the road most take from NJ I 95 or do you go some other way?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #85
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-Mouse View Post
We have many trips to WDW but never drove. WE have made the drive to HHI 3 times. Not to bad I like to drive straight thru. We hit the road at 11:00 pm or so and I do all the driving. I will hit the road on a Friday night at 10:00 pm and hope to get some where in Florida to look for a room for the night. What is the road most take from NJ I 95 or do you go some other way?
Most take I-95 all the way to I-4 (near Daytona, FL), which leads to Orlando and beyond (Tampa). Whether it's the Turnpike or I-295, you need to cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge. In about 20 minutes you're through Delaware and into Maryland--and on your way!

One couple we know skirt around via I-81 in PA, a circuitous route which is easier on the heavy traffic but longer.

The early morning drive (on the weekend, if you can) is the best time to travel, all things remaining equal.

All the best!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 12-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #86
poteat_3177
Mouseketeer

our trip is just a little over 2000 miles round trip! Even with the gas prices and my gas guzzling SUV we are still saving money over flying.

I've posted this question in another forum but never got any good answers,

we are driving from northwest arkansas and I'm not sure which way is best to drive,

the three routes are

one: go through memphis, birmingham, atlanta then down to orlando

two: memphis, birmingham then south on 231 to 75 to orlando

or go through jackson (ms), mobile (al) down through pensacola, tallahassee and then down to orlando

any advice?

Pop Century Resort here we come!!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #87
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poteat_3177 View Post
our trip is just a little over 2000 miles round trip! Even with the gas prices and my gas guzzling SUV we are still saving money over flying.

I've posted this question in another forum but never got any good answers,

we are driving from northwest arkansas and I'm not sure which way is best to drive,

the three routes are

one: go through memphis, birmingham, atlanta then down to orlando

two: memphis, birmingham then south on 231 to 75 to orlando

or go through jackson (ms), mobile (al) down through pensacola, tallahassee and then down to orlando

any advice?
We drove through Arkansas on our way to Texas last March (just weeks before our drive to WDW!). Choice number one isn't desireable because it takes you north to an extent as you approach Atlanta from Birmingham.

The other two routes are more likely. Do a Google/MapQuest search and compare and contrast. But once you get on I-75, you'll be on your way to the "magic!"

Old 12-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #88
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I've done 3000 miles round trip twice. Once with stopping and once driving straight through with 4 drivers(24hour trip). We leave Friday morning at 6am! I'll just be happy when I get out of IL...that state doesn't end!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #89
Amirah95
I'm ALLLLLLMOST there!

Quote:

Amirah95: We enjoy the Carolinas ride because it is much more tranquil than the NE corridor. Of course, with CDs playing "Spectromagic," "Illuminations" and Wishes," any trip can be made more pleasureable.
It sounds like you're in the Carolinas when the sun is still up. We go through there around midnight or after so everybody is sleeping in the car. Maybe we should change our time ??? That would be a good idea.

Proud Disboards.com Member! Park Commando & Roadtripping Family! Mom of 2 Girls! I my Grandboy!
Maleficent/Dr. Facilier/Oogie Boogie/Scar/Yzma Villains Pin Collector & Trader *WDW Planning Nut*
Packing for Kids Roadtrip Menu Stroller Debate Rider Switch Primer NJ Roadtrippers 2,000+ Mile Roadtrippers - II-III-IV
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #90
MinMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirah95 View Post
It sounds like you're in the Carolinas when the sun is still up. We go through there around midnight or after so everybody is sleeping in the car. Maybe we should change our time ??? That would be a good idea.
We too love going through the Carolinas in the daylight. If we leave Delaware before 4 a.m. we go through populated areas in the dark and there tends to be more road lighting. We found driving through the Carolinas in the dark REALLY DARK! S. Carolina also has some great picnic areas if you like to bring your lunch!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: