Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #751
sherry8253
The TF hopes to brighten your day too!!!

This is the first time in years we are not driving. But we got such a great price on airline tickets and gas prices were through the roof so we decided to fly. We were just saying at breakfast we will miss driving down this year.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #752
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
We believe that several posters on this thread will be making THE drive next week. Yes?
Yup, we leave on Wedenesday...arrive on Thursday.

Weather up here looks fine for the start of the drive. Weather down there looks better today (mid 70's to low 80's most days) than it did yesterday, according to the accuweather site for the next 15 days. I know..it's a crap shoot on predicting that far in advance, but even weather.com is showing the temps in the mid 70's for the days we'll be there in it's 10 day forcast.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #753
Julia M
DIS Veteran
not clever, not witty, but loyal!

I'd like to ask some questions of all you "experienced" drivers.

We are planning to drive from San Francisco to Tucson, in summer. It's 868 miles, one way. I am NOT a great distance driver, so this is new to me. We are doing it to save money. So, we don't want to stop for a hotel obvernight along the way.

We will have 2 adults and three kids (ages 12, 14 and 14) The kids can be pretty independent......listening to iPods, watching movies, reading, playing games, etc

How do you estimate how long it will take? What snacks/foods do you bring along? Any suggestions for a "newbie"?

Thanks

Julia
August 2004:Vistana & Marriott's Grand Vista.....Hurricane Charley.....what an experience for West Coasters!
Christmas at Disneyworld, 2005: Polynesian
July 2008: Cypress Point Grand villas & Hilton Grand Vacation Club....sharing Disneyworld with friends
January 2010: Boardwalk Villas for a Disney wedding....
February 2010: Saratoga Springs...TWIRLMANIA!!
July 2010: Beach Club Villas & Marriott Imperial Palms
July 2013: a day in Orlando.....what to do????
Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #754
garmich
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia M View Post
I'd like to ask some questions of all you "experienced" drivers.

We are planning to drive from San Francisco to Tucson, in summer. It's 868 miles, one way. I am NOT a great distance driver, so this is new to me. We are doing it to save money. So, we don't want to stop for a hotel obvernight along the way.

We will have 2 adults and three kids (ages 12, 14 and 14) The kids can be pretty independent......listening to iPods, watching movies, reading, playing games, etc

How do you estimate how long it will take? What snacks/foods do you bring along? Any suggestions for a "newbie"?

Thanks

Julia
When I plan a road trip, I always go to Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/
To get the distance and approximate time, click on "Get Directions". You'll get a step-by-step routing to your destination. This will give you a good estimate of the travel time. I usually come close to the estimated times and lots of times I will arrive earlier (when it's all interstate highway). You can also change the route by dragging the blue line to another road. The distance and time will be adjusted accordingly.

According to Google Maps, the approx. time for your trip would be just under 13 hours, which is about what we do on the first day of our trips to Florida. For us, it's an overnight stay at a motel. 20 to 21 hours is a bit too much for me.
Aug 2010 - Offsite - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Cypress Palms, & Four Points Sheraton Studio City
Aug 2012 - Offsite - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Cypress Palms, & Four Points Sheraton Studio City
Sept 2013 - Disneyland / California Adventure (First time) & Las Vegas - Offsite - Wyndham Dolphin's Cove
Dec 2014 - Offsite - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, & Four Points Sheraton Studio City

Old 11-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #755
RoadWarrior52
Annual Trips to Florida Since 1975

We've done the 3000 mile round trip at least once a year since 1975 (New Hampshire to Florida)! Back in those days I-95 was only partially completed (Virginia and the Carolinas were still building portions) and The Magic Kingdom was the only park! It seemed like an eternity ago. But that first trip remains the most magical.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #756
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry8253 View Post
This is the first time in years we are not driving. But we got such a great price on airline tickets and gas prices were through the roof so we decided to fly. We were just saying at breakfast we will miss driving down this year.
Are you flying out of MDT? Air Tran? I'm interested to hear your experience. We will be flying for the first time next November. But the more we talk about it, I think we are quickly talking ourself out of flying. We are halfway between MDT and the Hagerstown airport (where Allegiant just started non-stop flights to Sanford).

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #757
loribell
Proud Redhead
Started watching them play when I was little
Wouldn't the sugars from the ice cream be better used early in the day instead of late in the evening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDisneyWforMe View Post
Hello all

We'll be making the trip to WDW from Oklahoma City, OK. We leave on December 12th and are really hoping the weather will stay good for the drive. I've made the trip 4 other times with my brother and his family but this will be the first trip with my niece and her two DD's, who by the way are really not car travel people . A bit nervous about the trip but anticipating a great trip nonetheless! We only had trouble on one of our drives, we ran into dense fog on our drive home in Alabama and Mississippi, that was terrible, please wish us luck that we don't run into that this time!

I've not looked back through the messages yet to see if there are any others driving our direction during the same time frame but I plan too. But just wanted to sign on a wish everyone making the drive to see Mickey a very safe and happy trip!
Lots of luck coming your way for a great drive down and back. What part of Oklahoma are you in? We have started driving out I-40 until we get to Nashville and then heading South. I like that drive a lot better. Of course that could be even more iffy during a winter drive since it goes through a bit of the mountains.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #758
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Let's see: Fwd Facing Tentacles departed today and Pilferk is departing on Wednesday. We're not going to be left out of this northeast caravan much longer! Our short-term countdown has begun!
Perhaps, the OK crew will be headin' out, too!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk

Last edited by BC1836; 12-01-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #759
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Let's see: Fwd Facing Tentacles departed today and Pilferk is departing on Wednesday. We're not going to be left out of this northeast caravan much longer! Our short-term countdown has begun!
Perhaps, the OK crew will be headin' out, too!
Yup, we fueled up the van last night (it's going nowhere the next couple of days). Grand total for the fill-up, which was close to 20 gallons.....38 cents. Yup, you read that right....38 cents.

Our grocery store (Price Chopper) offers, for every certain amount you spend, a per gallon discount (which accumulates) at a local gas station. We'd been "saving up" the discount for just this purpose. They can't give it to you "free"..they have to charge something like 1.9 cents per gallon...but our discount basically brought the cost down as low as legally possible.

Tonight: Packing the car and prepping the house.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #760
loribell
Proud Redhead
Wouldn't the sugars from the ice cream be better used early in the day instead of late in the evening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Yup, we fueled up the van last night (it's going nowhere the next couple of days). Grand total for the fill-up, which was close to 20 gallons.....38 cents. Yup, you read that right....38 cents.

Our grocery store (Price Chopper) offers, for every certain amount you spend, a per gallon discount (which accumulates) at a local gas station. We'd been "saving up" the discount for just this purpose. They can't give it to you "free"..they have to charge something like 1.9 cents per gallon...but our discount basically brought the cost down as low as legally possible.

Tonight: Packing the car and prepping the house.
Now I like those gas prices! Have a great trip. Will be looking forward to hearing all about it afterwards.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #761
mjbradeis
Mouseketeer

Getting set to go, we leave Saturday from NJ. Plan on stopping after 10-12 hours getting a good night sleep and driving rest of way on Sunday. First road trip to Disney, we are not knew to road trips, we do a yearly road trip to Maine which is 12 hours to relatives. SO EXCITED!!!!!
POP/MVMCP/FD December 11-18, 2010
DCL Dream/POP Century/Legoland December 1-9, 2011
DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise December 8-15, 2012
POR December 7-14, 2013
DCL Magic Western Caribbean Cruise December 7-14, 2014
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruise December 5-12, 2015

"Please stand clear of the doors" - "Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"
Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #762
WDisneyWforMe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell View Post
Lots of luck coming your way for a great drive down and back. What part of Oklahoma are you in? We have started driving out I-40 until we get to Nashville and then heading South. I like that drive a lot better. Of course that could be even more iffy during a winter drive since it goes through a bit of the mountains.

Enjoy your trip!
I'm in Oklahoma City and we take I-35 down toward Dallas then skirt over to Shreveport then on down toward the coast, not all the way to New Orleans. Then skirt over MS, AL in to FLORIDA!! The road when not messed up by hurricanes seem better to us all 4 lane and the weather is not as big an issue although we have dealt with the fog and hoping for NONE of that this trip!

Thanks for the good wishes, we do plan to enjoy it!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #763
loribell
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDisneyWforMe View Post
I'm in Oklahoma City and we take I-35 down toward Dallas then skirt over to Shreveport then on down toward the coast, not all the way to New Orleans. Then skirt over MS, AL in to FLORIDA!! The road when not messed up by hurricanes seem better to us all 4 lane and the weather is not as big an issue although we have dealt with the fog and hoping for NONE of that this trip!

Thanks for the good wishes, we do plan to enjoy it!
Have a great trip. Sometime if you aren't traveling in times that you could have to deal with snow or ice try driving out I-40. We used to go the way you do and I like the I-40 route so much better. Interstate all the way!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #764
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Let's see: it's about 2:10 in the morning. I know that we woke up early for something or other this morning. Oh, yeah: it's THAT time again!

All the very best to all....
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #765
PhotobearSam
Extraordinaire!
Took 1245 trip pictures!!
Bébé, Moozer, Chewie, & Jax's Mom

Quote:
Let's see: it's about 2:10 in the morning. I know that we woke up early for something or other this morning. Oh, yeah: it's THAT time again!

All the very best to all....

Have a great drive and let us know how it went.

Our 4 children Kitties.... Bébé (1992-2012 , Moozer (1992-2011) Chewie (6) & Jax (4) photobearsam@rogers.com
16 trips so far next one January 14-16 2013 at ASSports for a mini trip. I can't wait to go back. I have been Sprung by Hixski
To clarify one of my TAGS...I took 1245 pics on our trip to WDW in 2001. This was pre-digital and all pics were on FILM!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: