Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #151
emmsmama
Mouseketeer

We're planning our first WDW trip for Dec. 08 and are planning on driving. We are about 19 hrs. away without stops so obviously more with them considering we have two kiddos. I'm hoping to drive straight through with dh and I switching off. I figured if we leave around 6pm I can drive until around 4am, then dh drives from 4am-4pm with stops factored in. Our kids will be 6 and 9 at the time. I'm a night owl an am usually up until 2am anyway most nights. Dh doesn't have a problem with early hours. We are most likely getting a condo so when we get there dh and I can hopefully crash early and let the kids watch dvd's or play vid. games or run around the condo to burn off steam lol. Then the next day will be our first day at WDW So leave Sat., arrive Sun., first day at one of the parks Monday. However, if I can get cheap roundtrip tickets I could definitely be persuaded to fly instead.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #152
shellybelly72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
I'm coming from NW CT, so....

Rte 8 south, to I 84 West, to 684 to the Sawmill River Pkway to 287W to Garden State Parkway South, to Jersey Pike, to I 95......95 to Richmond, then the 295 "route around" to avoid Richmond's perpetual construction/congestion, then back to 95 all the way down to I-4. I-4 to Orlando.

I'm pretty sure that's it....the route numbers on the New York piece are always fuzzy unless I'm either looking at the atlas or the TomTom.

I'm going to keep a travel log, of sorts, detailing mileage times (ex: It's 6 PM, we've gone 250 miles, just past exit xx in New Jersey), stops (where,for what, and what we paid for gas if it's a gas stop) etc. If you want, I'll post it at some point.
I know the post wasn't directed to me, but... if you could post that info, because dh & I may be driving in aug.

Thanks
Contemporary- May 2004
Pop- Jan 2005
Shades Of Green-Oct 2005
Shades Of Green- Feb 2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge-May2006
Beach Club Resort- Feb 2007
OKW--Feb 13-20 2008
BCV---August 3-8 2008
Wilderness Lodge Villas- 1/11/09-1/18/09
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #153
shellybelly72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith1236 View Post
Just curious... why would you wanna drive this far...? So much more of a chance of getting killed driving 2000+ miles than flying.

We want to drive, so we can spend more time together and have more $$ to spend at Disney..
Contemporary- May 2004
Pop- Jan 2005
Shades Of Green-Oct 2005
Shades Of Green- Feb 2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge-May2006
Beach Club Resort- Feb 2007
OKW--Feb 13-20 2008
BCV---August 3-8 2008
Wilderness Lodge Villas- 1/11/09-1/18/09
Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #154
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Bare All

Is it just me or does anyone else have an overwhelming desire to stop at one of those Bare All places and order several helpings of bacon just to see how they cope with the flying grease in the altogether???

As I am a middle aged grandma there is no prurient intent but plenty of just plain orneriness.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #155
PhotobearSam
Extraordinaire!
Took 1245 trip pictures!!
Bébé, Moozer, Chewie, & Jax's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else have an overwhelming desire to stop at one of those Bare All places and order several helpings of bacon just to see how they cope with the flying grease in the altogether???

As I am a middle aged grandma there is no prurient intent but plenty of just plain orneriness.

Slightly Goofy

Us too...DH is always asking to stop...joking of course...you just see so many signs for it that he started saying "It must be just like South of the Border because it has a lot of signs"

Our 4 children Kitties.... Bébé (1992-2012 , Moozer (1992-2011) Chewie (6) & Jax (4) photobearsam@rogers.com
16 trips so far next one January 14-16 2013 at ASSports for a mini trip. I can't wait to go back. I have been Sprung by Hixski
To clarify one of my TAGS...I took 1245 pics on our trip to WDW in 2001. This was pre-digital and all pics were on FILM!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #156
LeahA
DIS Veteran

We drive every year. Approximately 2,300 miles round trip. We usually only have a problem on the roads coming home in Georgia, other than that the trip is fine.
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
Old 02-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #157
SlightlyGoofy

About the same

PhotobearSam, while I cannot say, for sure, about Bare All - I have been at South of the Border SO -

I am guessing that both places are pretty similar.

The workers below average in looks and education.

The service is lousy.

Tacky.

Expensive for what you get.

And your chances of catching something in either place would be pretty high.

Once would be more than enough.

I think I will stick with WDW and the occasional gripe.

Slightly Goofy

Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #158
Sheribo
DIS Veteran

ROAD TRIP! Those are magical words to my family. We drive the 24hrs twice a year and then take another road trip somewhere else in the summer. Sometimes we stay overnight in either Savannah or St. Augustine but mostly go straight through. Kids love to pack the cooler with comfort food for the long drive. My oldest child sits in the front seat with Dad during the night - teenagers can stay awake forever - and I sleep in the back. 33 days to go...
Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #159
sandybobandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post

Slightly Goofy
Totally!

We want so badly to go into one (it's just my husband and I) but we're afraid we might catch herpes or some type of warts from the door knobs.
9/29-10/6 2007 ASMU-40% off code!
Woot woot! Last minute trip planned 9/28-10/2! Also planning to do the Disney College Program in '09!!!!!!!!

Boo! To You!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #160
gsmith1236
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybelly72 View Post

We want to drive, so we can spend more time together and have more $$ to spend at Disney..
Too each their own! I would rather spend those days together at WDW than being stuffed in a car.

But I assume most people do it for financial reasons.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #161
kathiep
Mouseketeer

We're currently planning our 3rd consecutive September trip - CSR here we come. For the last 2, we've driven.

During our first trip, we really didn't want to deal with the hassles invovling airports and our kids. DH is not a very comfortable flier anyway and add to that 2 excited kids, probably not a great idea.

We really didn't find the drive all that bad. Obviously the ride down was a lot better; the anticipation and family bonding time was terrific. The ride becomes part of the adventure for us.The ride back always leaves a lot to be desired.

But, most likely, we will probably drive again.
9/06 CBR
Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #162
iluvflorida
Mouseketeer

We also travel over 3000 miles round trip and always drive every year. I like to have my own car down in florida so I can come and go as I want, where and when I want. I love the drive down from the great white north, Canada. Have been doing so for years. Started when I was 4 (no not driving myself) left that to my Dad, and now have driven my children and even grand children and my children have driven themselves and their kids. Must be contagious. Probably driven or been driven total of 50+ times.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #163
SlightlyGoofy

Not always financial

I do not feel that driving is for financial reasons all the time. I could probably get a good fare that would beat the cost of gas, motel and food as well as give us a couple more days of vacation HOWEVER the lawyer fees for getting DH from the clutches of Homeland Security have to be figured in.

He once threw a fit when they refused to let him board a cruise ship with a pocket knife. This was PRE 9/11 and the knife was a cheapie of no real value.

By the time I drove to the nearest airport, got through baggage check, IF, and all I am nearing Nashville, TN and well on my way and have my own car at my disposal.

Might not care for the drive if I were not lucky enough to live so near a major interstate that takes me over half way there though.

Whatever works for you is just fine by me.

Slightly Goofy

Old 02-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #164
mkymouse1928
This driving me nuts
Thanks everyone! I'm having a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Pal View Post
Economics is the "driving" force.

1. Airfare for five people from Maryland is $1000 (probably more with long-term parking fees).

2. If we stayed those two extra nights (one on each end of the trip) that would be increase in lodging -- either points or cash. If we do family suite at ASMu it is approximately $200 per night. If we do points, the possibilities are complicated because we'd have to buy points and the nights could be very costly if they are weekends.

3. We bring some cooked food and some groceries, all our soft drinks and some of our water. This saves us about $200.

Even at $3 per gallon, the cost of gas for the trip is about $300. Our net savings is well over $1000.

Also, for me, I get anxiety relief on several levels:

1. I hate to fly.
2. I can't stand being limited to what I can cram into our luggage, as compared to what I can throw in the van and in the roof carrier.
3. Flights have absolute deadlines. Departure by car does not. My family is not good at meeting deadlines.
Just wanted to chime in and second this!

It is just DH and I and it is still much cheaper to drive than to fly. We live in Cincinnati so airfare is at a premium with our local airport being a Delta hub (yeah we could drive to another city, but that just adds to the cost and incovenience factor). We, too, take water, soda and snacks in the car and make sure that we have enough for our room. I also want to be able to buy whatever I want (shipping adds to the cost). And the biggest reason -- I hate to fly! 16 hours on the road without my paralyzing fear is much more pleasant than 2.5 hours in the air hyperventilating from my phobia.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #165
JonS99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith1236 View Post
Too each their own! I would rather spend those days together at WDW than being stuffed in a car.

But I assume most people do it for financial reasons.

Absolutely not, apparently we are a family that actually likes to spend time together, sorry you just consider it "stuffed in a car"..

Last time we flew, it took us 9 hours from the time we left the house until we arrived at WDW, when we drive it takes us 16.. To us, the extra 7 hours is worth having our car, with our stuff and the ability to set our schedule..
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: