Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #1501
Muhlenberg
Clues! We want clues!
It's a small world after all It's a small world after all...
E / E
Tushy imprinting chair here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellewashere View Post
Ok think I missed soemhing we are going down next month and we are from lower bucks and going to be staying overnight in kingsland ga...what is the 81 route?? i only know how to do 95
Rt 81-77-26-95. If you're from lower Bucks...take the Tpk to Carlisle and get on 81. That route avoids Balt./Wash./Richmond.

Next dream unknown...

CR 6/97 6/00 8/06 1/07 CBR 8/07 CR 1/08 BWV 8/08 SSR 1/09 AKV-K 9/09
BLT 2/10 THV 8/10 BWV 1/11 AKV-K 4/12 OKW 12/12 SSR 12/13

Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #1502
rotlex
Is it summer yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan View Post
I was going to ask you if you did 95 or 81. We love the 81 route. It's so much nicer than 95.
Absolutely!

I'll probably never do 95 all the way again. The portion you have to take once you get down there is bad enough!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #1503
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Question for those who do the 81 route:

How is it during the winter?

We've contemplated routing that way, but our recent drives have been in December and January, respectively. I want to plan a route and stick with it....and not have to keep an eye on the weather. My concern with the 81 route was that, if there was winter weather to deal with, 95 would be in better shape.....
Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #1504
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotlex View Post
We had originally planned on doing 95 as well, as it seem so much more direct. (It is also the only route I had ever taken on my business drives years ago).

I'll tell you this, after traveling the 81 route, I will never, ever do 95 again. It is really no more direct, and dealing with the traffic, big city area's, and crazy drivers, just makes it very unpleasant, IMO. Even my wife, who normally abhors driving, enjoyed this past trip!

Have a great trip, and enjoy the planning!
we take 78-81-66-17-95 and the only place i ever sit in traffic is on rt22!!! (the parking lot of the east.) have you ever hit 77 during a clear day coming down the mnt? looks like you can see forever. we use to stay overnight in polaski in a red carpet inn. i alwys wondered if that place was still there.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #1505
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post

We've contemplated routing that way, but our recent drives have been in December and January, respectively. I want to plan a route and stick with it....and not have to keep an eye on the weather. My concern with the 81 route was that, if there was winter weather to deal with, 95 would be in better shape.....
we hit a snow storm one year. spent the night in our car at whites truck stop.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #1506
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
we hit a snow storm one year. spent the night in our car at whites truck stop.
Question, dvczerfs: How many of those 47 WDW trips were drives?

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #1507
junipertree5
Swan Boats Alumni

For those who have driven from Detroit to WDW

Im taking my two DS, 4 and 12 by myself down to Disney in August. Im driving by myself and I want to leave sometime in the evening with a stop for dinner and then straight down to orlando. Im wondering what have some of you other Detroit DISers out there done to make it easier to get there around 3-4 pm the next day. We are staying offsite. Very limited budget this year. Hence the no motel stop. Any advice would be appreciated. Really. ANYTHING. Best caffine drinks, energy drinks, best place to stop if I HAVE to get a couple hours of shuteye with out getting a ticket

Thanks so much.

Always follow your dreams,
The Holston-Coleman-Bell Family

(DM-32) (DS-12) (DS-4)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/cvguoetebz8rnsn4.png[/img]
Old 07-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #1508
Flyerfan
Hockey lovin' OLTL addict with a deep desire for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post

This happened to us in January one year. We were watching the weather channel while at WDW and saw a storm heading right for the 81 corridor in VA. We opted for 95 straight up. We still ran into a little snow but not as bad as it would have been on 81. Yes, if it snows, 77 and 81 through the mountains can be tricky so you would have to be prepared to change your route.
Oct1989 Off site...Jan 1996 Dixie Landings...Jan 2006 POR....Dec 2006 POFQ...January 2008 SSR...Nov '08 OKW/Swan/SSR...Sept '09 BWV/YC....Nov '09 AKV/ SSR....July '10 SSR...Oct '10 HHI...Nov '11 SSR/BLT....May 2013 POR

Old 07-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #1509
marius97
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipertree5 View Post
Im taking my two DS, 4 and 12 by myself down to Disney in August. Im driving by myself and I want to leave sometime in the evening with a stop for dinner and then straight down to orlando. Im wondering what have some of you other Detroit DISers out there done to make it easier to get there around 3-4 pm the next day. We are staying offsite. Very limited budget this year. Hence the no motel stop. Any advice would be appreciated. Really. ANYTHING. Best caffine drinks, energy drinks, best place to stop if I HAVE to get a couple hours of shuteye with out getting a ticket

Thanks so much.
We just made the trip for the first time last month. I no long live in Detroit
but still head back there all the time from our southwestern MI home. We don't get on I75 until Chatanooga, but the second half of the drive is fine. The rest stops down there are nothing like what we have here in MI. Here, the rest stops at night are only for people looking for problems. I would never dream of taking a nap there. The ones down south are actually nice and clean and respectable. We took a two hour nap on our drive home. There were probably at least 100 other cars woth sleeping people. I didn't feel unsafe at all...I did Red Bull while driving. I don't like coffee and I have a tiny bladder. Red Bull seemed to have a bunch of caffeine for me, but not too much liquid. Still Daddy needed more potty breaks than the kids did....We left after dinner, drove through the night and then stopped for breakfast at McDonalds. We sat down for that one just to get out of the car. Kids just ate in their pj's. We then did drive through for lunch. All and all, we'd do it again in a heart beat.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #1510
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Question, dvczerfs: How many of those 47 WDW trips were drives?

All the best.
all of them. my first time down in 73 i was 8. it seamed my dad could drive forever. he would come home from work around 3pm,go to sleep and we would leave at midnight. we would drive straight thru, pee breaks and howard johnson resturants!! when i got married, dw wouldnt fly, im not nuts about it either. im an outside rep. so i drive 40k per year for work so driving dont bother me. its part of the trip and we like the drive. i play the theme from smokey and the bandit on the way down, dw just rolls her eyes and says dont get a ticket!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #1511
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
all of them. my first time down in 73 i was 8. it seamed my dad could drive forever. he would come home from work around 3pm,go to sleep and we would leave at midnight. we would drive straight thru, pee breaks and howard johnson resturants!! when i got married, dw wouldnt fly, im not nuts about it either. im an outside rep. so i drive 40k per year for work so driving dont bother me. its part of the trip and we like the drive. i play the theme from smokey and the bandit on the way down, dw just rolls her eyes and says dont get a ticket!!!
Forty-seven drives! Impressive.

We've been driving since 2002 when an airline refused to refund our ticket because of a local power failure caused by a thunderstorm. We couldn't leave our home without knowing when power was going to be restored (refrigerator contents, home alarm system, timers, etc.). Because the power failure wasn't regional they couldn't confirm our town's loss of power. We simply could not get to the airport while we were powerless. We decided to drive if the power came back by a certain hour. It did and we packed the vehicle. So the airlines lost the next 14 potential round trip flights purchases.

So it's 15 2,000+ mile round trip drives for us. We've got some catching up to do, though, dvczerfs.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #1512
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Forty-seven drives! Impressive.

We've been driving since 2002 when an airline refused to refund our ticket because of a local power failure caused by a thunderstorm. We couldn't leave our home without knowing when power was going to be restored (refrigerator contents, home alarm system, timers, etc.). Because the power failure wasn't regional they couldn't confirm our town's loss of power. We simply could not get to the airport while we were powerless. We decided to drive if the power came back by a certain hour. It did and we packed the vehicle. So the airlines lost the next 14 potential round trip flights purchases.

So it's 15 2,000+ mile round trip drives for us. We've got some catching up to do, though, dvczerfs.

All the best.
one of my older brothers was stationed at homestead afb. we would drive down to see him twice a year.thats how we started going.there was always the anual trip in august,4 night,5day to beach haven,long beach island! i havnt been there in about 20 years. im sure it has changed like eveything else. when i was a kid i thought how cool it was because down south that had this great thing called self serve gas stations!! my dad would let me pump the gas! what is odd is im 44 and alot of the trips we made when i was a kid, i remember more of the ride and the fun we had in the car than alot of the times in the park etc..

Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #1513
junipertree5
Swan Boats Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius97 View Post
We just made the trip for the first time last month. I no long live in Detroit
but still head back there all the time from our southwestern MI home. We don't get on I75 until Chatanooga, but the second half of the drive is fine. The rest stops down there are nothing like what we have here in MI. Here, the rest stops at night are only for people looking for problems. I would never dream of taking a nap there. The ones down south are actually nice and clean and respectable. We took a two hour nap on our drive home. There were probably at least 100 other cars woth sleeping people. I didn't feel unsafe at all...I did Red Bull while driving. I don't like coffee and I have a tiny bladder. Red Bull seemed to have a bunch of caffeine for me, but not too much liquid. Still Daddy needed more potty breaks than the kids did....We left after dinner, drove through the night and then stopped for breakfast at McDonalds. We sat down for that one just to get out of the car. Kids just ate in their pj's. We then did drive through for lunch. All and all, we'd do it again in a heart beat.

Thanks so much for the insight. I have driven straight thru to many places, but that was when I was younger and didnt have kids. If I can alocate enough money for the extra 1 night motel stay on the way down, I will. Would like to get to at least Macon, Georgia. That way we could sleep in a little bit (as much as housekeeping will allow ) and be refreshed and ready for the day when we get to the condo.

In some ways, Im obsessed with planning the fun stuff, but I guess Im just nervous about being alone for the drive. Although being alone with my kids for this trip is going to be GLORIOUS!!!!

Always follow your dreams,
The Holston-Coleman-Bell Family

(DM-32) (DS-12) (DS-4)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/cvguoetebz8rnsn4.png[/img]
Old 07-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #1514
Flyerfan
Hockey lovin' OLTL addict with a deep desire for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotlex View Post
Absolutely!

I'll probably never do 95 all the way again. The portion you have to take once you get down there is bad enough!
Do you ever have a problem with traffic around Charlotte? It seems we get there mid afternoon and traffic slows. Wondering if there is a way to avoid that area.
Oct1989 Off site...Jan 1996 Dixie Landings...Jan 2006 POR....Dec 2006 POFQ...January 2008 SSR...Nov '08 OKW/Swan/SSR...Sept '09 BWV/YC....Nov '09 AKV/ SSR....July '10 SSR...Oct '10 HHI...Nov '11 SSR/BLT....May 2013 POR

Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #1515
glo
"Has a heart bigger then all of Cuba" :)

I will never drive rte 95S again North of South Carolina! I took the 84/81/77/26/95/4 and did it in just under 24 hours. We had bad weather which slowed us up a bit in Worcester MA and just over the CT border torrential rain and thunder/lightning! It slowed us up a little bit as for about an hour we didn't go over 40- 50 mph. We had two stops to eat, about 30 minutes(including gas) each and about 3 stops to stretch or get gas. We finally hit traffic on rte 4 in Florida and went about 50 mph or we could have made it a little better time wise! Left on a Saturday night at 7 pm and arrived at the Swan Hotel in WDW at 6:50 pm on Sunday.

Thank you guys for all the help on this trip! We spent less than $170 in gas and tolls to get here. That is some savings for a group of 5. Leaving to go back tomorrow, don't want to leave Mickey!!!

(me) (DH) (DD23) (DD17) (DD17)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: