Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #136
TSMAMI
There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmlantz View Post
So, we couldn't sleep.... so instead of 11pm we are leaving NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care!!
You are so lucky! I hope that you have a great trip and a safe drive!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #137
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Exactly. We typicall travel during the week....during the day, it's congested and at night there's perpetual construction....so we just avoid 95 through Richmond altogether.

I might try it on the return trip...but it's a Friday night. Any idea if the construction is on Friday night, too?
We have never driven in those areas on a Friday night but we assume that construction continues. And then you have to contend with DC and Baltimore. In any event, nothing is particularly pleasant about that lengthy return trip.

BTW: Is this message originating "on the road" to WDW?
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #138
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
We have never driven in those areas on a Friday night but we assume that construction continues. And then you have to contend with DC and Baltimore. In any event, nothing is particularly pleasant about that lengthy return trip.

BTW: Is this message originating "on the road" to WDW?
Nope, but this one is orgininating FROM WDW.

Trip wasn't too bad. Jersey took longer than I expected (6 hours from CT to the Jersey border). It took JUST under 22 hours with meal, bathroom (LOTS of those for the kids), and gas stops. Also stopped about 6 AM-ish for a 30 minute cat nap just north of the FLORIDA border. Kids wanted to stretch and I wanted to let the sun come up because the dawn driving was driving me nuts and making my eyes buggy.

We left CT at 2:30 PM on Thursday and pulled into hour hotel at 12:30 PM on Friday. Not too shabby.

We're going to make a stop on the way home, which will make it take a bit longer, but a bit easier, too.

Our ONE and only miscalculation: We thought for sure the kids would pass out and sleep for most of the night time piece of the drive. Boooooooy, were we wrong. They were up, pretty much, all night. MAYBE they got 2 or 3 hours, tops. Ditto on my wife, who couldn't sleep because...well...the kids were awake.

Last edited by pilferk; 10-28-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #139
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Nope, but this one is orgininating FROM WDW.

We're going to make a stop on the way home, which will make it take a bit longer, but a bit easier, too.

Thanks for the details on your sojourn!
BTW: It is against the "rules" to discuss or mention trips home while at WDW!
Enjoy!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 01-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #140
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Has everyone been flying instead of long-haul driving of late?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #141
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Has everyone been flying instead of long-haul driving of late?
I'll repeat the message! Hey, any active 2,000+ mile WDW drivers out there?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #142
BCV2002
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey, Chicago, what do ya say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybobandy View Post
We drive to Disney!!! About 3300 roundtrip from Minneapolis. It's a wonderful drive, just my husband and I.

Nothing can compare to seeing those "We Bare All" signs...that's when you know you're getting close! LOL!
OH my gosh, that's our inside joke, too! That is so funny. We drive from around Chicago, about 2400 round trip and LOVE IT!!! Most people think we're nuts, especially since we drive through, but we have such a blast.

However, we're putting that on hold for a while; we just had a baby and driving 2400 miles will not be the funnest thing in the world.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #143
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV2002 View Post
OH my gosh, that's our inside joke, too! That is so funny. We drive from around Chicago, about 2400 round trip and LOVE IT!!! Most people think we're nuts, especially since we drive through, but we have such a blast.

However, we're putting that on hold for a while; we just had a baby and driving 2400 miles will not be the funnest thing in the world.
All the best to you and yours as you celebrate your baby!

It's just a matter of time before all of you make the next 2,000+ mile round trip drive!

Next month, we'll be taking that awesome drive again!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #144
Harley-Mouse
Member of the Jellyrolls Rockettes
Likes B-E-E-R

making the drive in july

exit 14A NJTP to WDW first time all the way. We did HHI SC 3 times whats 5 more hours.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #145
tjlamphere
Mouseketeer

Smile Not A Bad Drive

Our roundtrip total is about 2,500 miles. We've driven it 10 times, and never a problem. I am a confimed non-flyer, so it is a no-brainer for me. But as gas prices continue to rise, flying may cost less than driving, especially if there are just two of us. But I enjoy driving from Upstate N.Y. to Florida in February, and watching the trees go from bare to buds to leaves. And also seeing how far we go before there is no snow on the ground. And the first palm tree we see in S.C. So driving is fine for us, and we'll be doing it again in about 54 weeks...can't wait...wish it were tomorrow...would be next month if the new job didn't keep me from having the vacation time I need to make the trip...when you drive, it adds some extra days, but thems the breaks...glad to see I am not the only crazy one who drives to Florida...some people think I am nuts !!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #146
gsmith1236
Earning My Ears

Just curious... why would you wanna drive this far...? So much more of a chance of getting killed driving 2000+ miles than flying.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #147
melmlantz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith1236 View Post
Just curious... why would you wanna drive this far...? So much more of a chance of getting killed driving 2000+ miles than flying.
Well that's lovely.

For one, if a plane crashes, everyone on board... hundreds of people.. all dead (since we're going to be blunt and morbid).
I have yet to hear of a plane "fender bender."

I can take whatever I want, and I can buy whatever I want... I don't have to hesitate on that snowglobe because my airline is going to give me crap about bringing it back.
And, for us, it gives us extra time to spend together.

I can think of many, many more reasons.

DH and I just got back from a 2200 mile RT drive to/from the World in early January... no accidents, and didn't even see any accidents.

For the record, it is proven through research that exposure to an issue (i.e. car accidents) makes the issue seem more prevalent than it really is. Just because the news shows all the horrible stuff doesn't mean it happens every time you turn around.

Me(26) DH(29) Rajah Jasmine Gizmo Echo

1993: Off-site*
1998: ASM*2005: CBR*2006: Pop*2008: WL!*2011: OKW Christmas Trip*
Old 02-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #148
gsmith1236
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Well that's lovely.

For one, if a plane crashes, everyone on board... hundreds of people.. all dead (since we're going to be blunt and morbid).
I have yet to hear of a plane "fender bender."
I am talking about this on an individual basis, so not sure why you brought up this point.

Quote:
I can take whatever I want, and I can buy whatever I want... I don't have to hesitate on that snowglobe because my airline is going to give me crap about bringing it back.
And, for us, it gives us extra time to spend together.
I can your point here, but then again, you could just have them shipped to your home address.

Quote:
I can think of many, many more reasons.

DH and I just got back from a 2200 mile RT drive to/from the World in early January... no accidents, and didn't even see any accidents.

For the record, it is proven through research that exposure to an issue (i.e. car accidents) makes the issue seem more prevalent than it really is. Just because the news shows all the horrible stuff doesn't mean it happens every time you turn around.

Yea, thats true for everything really.

I myself love to drive and take road trips, but I dont think I could ever drive that far when I could just fly and spend another day or 2 at Disney World.

Nothing against anyone I was just wondering.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #149
Eeyore's Pal
Trading pins since before there were rubber backs

Economics is the "driving" force.

1. Airfare for five people from Maryland is $1000 (probably more with long-term parking fees).

2. If we stayed those two extra nights (one on each end of the trip) that would be increase in lodging -- either points or cash. If we do family suite at ASMu it is approximately $200 per night. If we do points, the possibilities are complicated because we'd have to buy points and the nights could be very costly if they are weekends.

3. We bring some cooked food and some groceries, all our soft drinks and some of our water. This saves us about $200.

Even at $3 per gallon, the cost of gas for the trip is about $300. Our net savings is well over $1000.

Also, for me, I get anxiety relief on several levels:

1. I hate to fly.
2. I can't stand being limited to what I can cram into our luggage, as compared to what I can throw in the van and in the roof carrier.
3. Flights have absolute deadlines. Departure by car does not. My family is not good at meeting deadlines.

DVC Member ~ OKW Home ~ since 2000

OKW 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 08, 11; BWV 05, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 12; BCV 03, 04; AKL 02; FWCG 05; ASMu 99, 01, 07, 08; CSR 98; WL 98, 06; Disney Villas 94 ; Dolphin 06; DCL Wonder 06; Off Property 79, 80, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06

PinPics Name: eeyorespal
Old 02-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #150
Super
<font color="Magenta">It's been a while</font>

I went in 1999 and have just calculated an 11100 mile trip, Auckland -> Sydney -> LA -> Dallas -> Orlando. Airfares I would imagine would have been hefty (<3 parents) Still remember rocking up to All Star Sports late at night and parking in the carpark while dad went in and got the room key =)

HD-Timelapse (Vimeo Chanel) - http://www.vimeo.com/channel8527
Flickr Page http://www.flickr.com/maticulous
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: