Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
BC1836
DIS Veteran

For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

We were wondering how many of you good folks drive at least 2,000 miles roundtrip to WDW? We're getting ready for 2,000+ mile roundtrip #3 this year. Exit #67 on I-4; here we come!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.

Last edited by BC1836; 04-17-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

We have driven 2000 miles to WDW many times. I'm leaving on Saturday, but I'm flying with my DBF to WDW. Not the same as driving, but the only good thing is that we'll get there faster!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
PrincessPaczki
Mom of 2 Prince's

We love driving down! We usually leave about 5:00 in the afternoon and get there around noon the next day. My DH and I just make sure that we have plenty of coffee and m&ms to keep us going! (lol)
1992 - CBR
1993 - 2003 - OBX / BUSCH GARDENS VA.
2004 - BEACH CLUB / ROYAL PACIFIC
2005 - WILDERNESS LODGE
2006 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2007 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2008 - GRAND FLORIDIAN RPC
2010 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2011 - POLYNESIAN
2012 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2013 - CORONADO SPRINGS

Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
snocrossmechanic
DDC #23, When is the next Trip???

We go once a year but we drive 3200 miles round trip. It takes a couple days but its worth it.

Happy trails
Old 12-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
HugsForEeyore
Heck with the rides, give me some rare characters!
Oh well, not much we can do - the onion already took over the world

Red face Driving to Disney!

I also drive from NJ, and have done the round-trip many times! It's about 2200 miles round-trip, usually more with some sight-seeing thrown in! But nowadays (since I got a better job), I usually take the AutoTrain in one direction, so that saves 1100 miles right there. I usualy go to Disney twice a year, so I am very familiar with that I-95 drive.

I even did the round-trip drive when my car had 196,000 miles on it! (And it made it just fine!)
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
klofan
DIS Veteran

I am also from New Jersey and I'm on my way this Saturday. We're leaving about 10 and stopping to sleep around midnight (or as far as we can go). Then we're up and ready by 7 and there by 10-11ish. Stupid things like seeing the countdown signs of south of the border or the funny town names in some of the states make me happy, haha!

Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 AM   #7
melmlantz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klofan View Post
I am also from New Jersey and I'm on my way this Saturday. We're leaving about 10 and stopping to sleep around midnight (or as far as we can go). Then we're up and ready by 7 and there by 10-11ish. Stupid things like seeing the countdown signs of south of the border or the funny town names in some of the states make me happy, haha!

Me too eee!! hehe. DH and I drive from PA about once a year, 2200ish miles RT. I love every minute of it :-)
Speaking of funny names of towns, I remember in--I think it was NC---there was a town called "Skipper." For some reason, I found this hilarious!

27 days until we leave, at about 11pm at night.... ahhh!!!!!!

Me(26) DH(29) Rajah Jasmine Gizmo Echo

1993: Off-site*
1998: ASM*2005: CBR*2006: Pop*2008: WL!*2011: OKW Christmas Trip*
Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Driving to WDW.....................

Oh, the memories, we used to drive to WDW way back when, alot of driving trips, 1200 miles one way straight through, stop only for gas and only me driving. We were alot younger than and a heck of alot less traffic, especially semi's on the road. Those days are gone, too much traffic for us, we have been using Amtrak for the past 10 some trips, don't like to fly. Time wise, trains alittle longer but cheaper than driving, no confusion, easier on the nerves. We pull into Kissimmee station in the afternoon, bright eyed and bushy tailed rarin' to go. We relax on the train, read, play games and watch movies and leave the driving to the engineer.

Train travel isn't for everyone, we've had our delays, but all in all, we prefer it over driving. We thought of taking 2 day to drive to Disney again but even at that, we did a road trip about 5 years ago, waited to long to book Amtrak and they we full, and even took the less mountainous route, 75 instead of 77 to WDw and it was still a mess, big cities are terrible and fray the nerves. Made our minds up then, book Amtrak early no more car.

Hope you trip is unevidentful and you have a save and great vacation and we'll watch out the train window for ya.

DIS Dads Club Member
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
Lucky4me
****!

We used to do it all the time from upstate ny, but not anymore.
Too much traffic, too many crazy people, old painful bones and less vacation time.
We only fly now which is probbly one reason we haven't been there in two years.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #10
sandybobandy
DIS Veteran

We drive to Disney!!! About 3300 roundtrip from Minneapolis. It's a wonderful drive, just my husband and I.

Nothing can compare to seeing those "We Bare All" signs...that's when you know you're getting close! LOL!
9/29-10/6 2007 ASMU-40% off code!
Woot woot! Last minute trip planned 9/28-10/2! Also planning to do the Disney College Program in '09!!!!!!!!

Boo! To You!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #11
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Thanks to all who have replied to our original question about lengthy drives to WDW! We enjoyed your comments. To be sure, the speed of an airline flight --- the flight, not the journey to and from the airport --- has a time-saving advantage, but the drive itself is flexible, baggage-friendly, and, well, memorable. Crossing each state border is part of the anticipation. We prefer the early departure. Our best time was a 6 a.m. departure in March of this year. We crossed into Virginia at 9:45 and made it to North Carolina by 12:33. We reached Florida by 8:06 p.m. and after another hour or so we made our overnight stay in St. Augustine.The next morning: a shorter drive, to be sure, to WDW!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.

Last edited by BC1836; 12-07-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #12
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klofan View Post
Have a safe trip! [According to the clock, you'll be departing in a couple of hours!] Ah, yes, those South of the Border signs---with all the grammatical mistakes (some by design, some not). And don't forget the JRs signs, too. But with the weather we've been having, you'll be seeing and appreciating palm trees by the end of the day. All the best.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
cm wannabe
Mouseketeer

Smile

We drive about 2400 miles r/t. try to go straight thru, but as we get older we are thinking about stopping overnight. the sites and scenery are always enjoyable. Hope all of you have safe trips!
2005 POFQ
Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #14
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

We drive about 2400 miles round trip, 2 to 3 times a year. We took Amtrak once, and would again occasionally, but service still has not been restored East of New Orleans. The Amtrak alternative would be to take an extra and detour through Chicago...from the San Antonio area that just isn't as pratical as driving.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #15
Chuck65
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Have a safe trip! [According to the clock, you'll be departing in a couple of hours!] Ah, yes, those South of the Border signs---with all the grammatical mistakes (some by design, some not). And don't forget the JRs signs, too. But with the weather we've been having, you'll be seeing and appreciating palm trees by the end of the day. All the best.

I see those signs every year we go to Topsail Island, NC. I wish that was not the first greeting our visitors see when they come in on I-95 to the great state of South Carolina.
2003 Port Orleans Riverside
2008 Port Orleans French Quarter

Nikon D5000
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: