Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
allicat
DIS Veteran
Ziplocks or Toiletry Bag?? decisions, decisions.....

braces question- anyones child have a Herbst appliance??

Wondering if anyones child has had one of these Herbst appliances put in? DD has had braces for over a year and her teeth look great but apparently her jaw his misaligned due to her overbite(which has never been noticeable)

Now the ortho says she needs this Herbst appliance for her jaw.
This appliance looks painful and very large for a little mouth like hers.
She is not very happy and that was when she thought she could take it in and out of her mouth. She was beside herself when she found out its permanent for 9 months!!!
allicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Narnian_Princess
I'm trying, I'm trying
Extreme Star Wars geek
Google is my best friend

I had this. It is only painful for the first little while (my braces hurt for a month, and the Herbst only hurt for 3 weeks, so it is painful on the teeth for a shorter time than the braces). It is VERY hard to get used to; for the first few weeks I couldn't talk right, and I would unlatch the bars in my sleep because my mouth did NOT like them! I wanted it out so badly, (mine was on for a year) but my mom made me stick with it and I'm glad I did. After 2-3 months I didn't even notice it anymore. One thing that it did for me (this may be because I'm kind of older than most with braces; I was 17-18 when I had it) is it made my cheekbones ache something awful. Weird, I know. And it still hurts to yawn extremely wide even though the darn thing has been off for a year and a half. But you'd never believe how much better my face shape is! I have a state ID photo from before braces and a Drivers License from just before I got them off, and my facial structure actually looks pretty in the DL photo. It really, really does help a LOT, and it was worth all the aggravation, frustration, and pain. to your DD.
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Ms. Belle
Today is my Unbirthday!

My son had one. His jaw was misaligned also. I don't know how he was able to have it in his mouth for as long as he did; they look completely medieval. He did ok with it though, he didn't complain about it at all unless they adjusted it and then he went through regular adjustment pain. It did a good job - his jaw looks really good now.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Katie
DIS Veteran

My DD(15) had to wear it for about 18 months. She did NOT wear it all the time, as she was told, or I am sure, she would not had to wear it that long.

She could take it out to eat and to cheer.
However, she took it out ALOT more, the orthodontist threatened to cement it to the top of her mouth....finally, she wore it almost 24/7.

It made a HUGE difference. Her lower jaw was very far back, and now it is almost equal to her upper jaw. Her profile is great.

I know it stinks, but it will be worth it. Just be glad your DD is 9..mine had to wear it 7 and 8th grade.

Poly90
Peabody 96
Poly 97
HIFS 2001
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

My DD had one as well. She was told 9 months to a year to wear it but ended up only needing it for about 6 months. DD is VERY much a complainer (I love her more than life itself but she loves to fuss!!) but only really grumbled for about 2 days. I couldn't believe how easily she adapted to that thing in her mouth. It really does look HUGE!

DD was 10, BTW.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
merrily
DIS Veteran

One of my sons had one with no problems. My other son has one currently. The only issue he had was the bars would sometimes unattach. That was resolved with the replacement of a slightly longer bar. Neither on has ever complained about discomfort other when they first got it and occassionally on adjustment. Both had theirs on before they got their braces.
merrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
mla973
Counting the days until life in FL is a reality...
Of course I'm around *~*Snarky Purple Tagfairy*~*

I had one prior to braces. It looked weird and akward and was hard to eat at first, but did make a big difference. It hurt a bit when it was time to "turn the key" to tighten (or loosen - don't know which mine was).
Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
coles1mom
DIS Veteran
Please get those ‘Flying Underpants’ out from under me!

Make sure to give some Motrin or Tylenol before each visit. It helps.

Judi
Old 12-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
allicat
DIS Veteran
Ziplocks or Toiletry Bag?? decisions, decisions.....

Thanks for the replies everyone. We will just have to deal with it-In the end, its worth it and I will keep telling DD that.
Katie-DD isnt nine, she has to wear it for nine months. Shes 12 going on 13 and becoming very appearance conscious which I fear will be a problem.
allicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
mermaidwannabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. We will just have to deal with it-In the end, its worth it and I will keep telling DD that.
Katie-DD isnt nine, she has to wear it for nine months. Shes 12 going on 13 and becoming very appearance conscious which I fear will be a problem.
I know this is a very old thread, but my DD13 just got the Herbst appliance on yesterday and she can't make her teeth meet. Also it seems like it is making her jaw move to the left when she closes her mouth. Going in this am to see if he put it in wrong? She hates it and can't eat, and just wanted to see if anyone else tortured their child like I am doing.
mermaidwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
GinCar
DIS Veteran

My son just had this put on. He is doing pretty well, but I am not so sure about sports.
Can anyone reccommend a mouth guard? The ortho gave him one, but it looks kind of flimsy and does not have a strap.
2011 Dolphin, 2011 POFQ, 2012 Beach Club
2013 February,Pre-Cruise- Polynesian, Fantasy
2013 Spring Break WBC; August- Pop, Contemporary
2014 Feb-BWI, April-FANTASY Cruising
GinCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
mbedwell
Earning My Ears

My DD had a Herbst for about 6-7 months. It was a real pain for the first week or so. Her teeth did not meet either. She ate alot of ice cream pasta and pudding. It was almost a month before her teeth met. They learn very quickly how to eat without using their back teeth. And, in her case, each time it was adjusted her teeth wouldn't meet again.
mbedwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
GinCar
DIS Veteran

After searching the internet and posting here, I am beginning to think my DS is the only one who has played football with this appliance!

I can not find information anywhere, and the orthodontist's office is pretty clueless in this area, too.
2011 Dolphin, 2011 POFQ, 2012 Beach Club
2013 February,Pre-Cruise- Polynesian, Fantasy
2013 Spring Break WBC; August- Pop, Contemporary
2014 Feb-BWI, April-FANTASY Cruising
GinCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
beachlover9395
Mouseketeer

Replying to this old thread, cause I want to show everyone a picture. My son didn't have Herbst, but did have the Mara appliance and palate expander at the same time. Go take a look at these medieval devices he had to live with for about a year - I don't think they could have gotten more metal in his mouth, LOL. He had all of this in his mouth (braces, Mara appliance, and palate expander):

http://www.johnsdental.com/images/or.../mara/Mara.JPG

BTW, his before and after teeth molds are unbelievable! It was definitely worth the price (pain and $$$). *Not his molds in the above pic
beachlover9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
sharlon
2008 DisCup Nascar Champ
I went from saying words to BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
My kids respectfully debate the passage of gas

My DD13 has a Mara. Her Ortho is one of only two in town that is board certified in Orthodontics. He won't put in a Herbst because there have been problems with the rods with coming apart (as someone mentioned above) or not slliding properly. He said the doctor he bought the practice from was always having emergency calls to fix Herbsts. The Mara is a much newer appliance that doesn't have those problems. DD13 has an unusually small mouth (though you would never know it from how much she talks, LOL), and the Mara has not been an issue from a size standpoint. She also has been able to continue to play her oboe and wore a mouthguard for basketball, no problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: