Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #751
SpinDisc
Engagement Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaD View Post
OK, here is #750. Thanks for the opportunity shipmates.

Dave
Congrats, Dave!

Only 29 more to go till the next

1990 - WDW: CONT ~ 2005 - WDW: CBR ~ 2006 - DCL: Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) ~ 2007 - DL: GCH ~ 2008 - WDW: SS (Enagaged!) ~ 2009 - DCL: Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Disneymoon - Magic) ~ 2010 (June) - WDW: BLT@C ~ 2010 (Aug.) - WDW: SS (1st Anniversary) ~ 2011 (Jan.) - WDW: SS (1/2 Marathon) ~ 2011 (Aug.) - DCL: Bahamas Cruise (Dream)
SpinDisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #752
joycsk
Red's my girl

A tease and then for real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDisc View Post
Congrats, Dave!

Only 29 more to go till the next
Dear Spin,

You appear to be younger than several of us who are travelling, but are you young enough to have had "Everyday Math?" Your reply sound SO much like something my 8 yo would come up with!

Do any of the other parents here have as much trouble with Everyday Math as I do? (Helen, this is a recent math program that is taking all the schools around me by storm. People who teach math, whom I trust, tell me that it really is good for the kids, but it completely baffles many of us parents who grew up learning more 'traditional' math - the kids add, subtract, multiply and divide from LEFT to Right!)

Anyway, on our 4 day cruise two years ago, we did the online check in. But I am _certain_ that I printed many more forms. Now it only says that we have to print the signature page and not all of the pages. Someone mentioned that the real forms seem shorter, so I guess this may be in line with an entire policy change, but it seems pretty wild to me. I handled the check in myself for a group of 5 last time and the check in process was _very_ short for me. However, we spent a _lot_ of time waiting in port to board once we were checked in.

I'm trying to get there earlier this time and hopeful that we'll be able to board sooner!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #753
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLeFever View Post
If you're talking about the "French Riviera Beach Rendezvous" I checked out the beach and the nude part of it is much further down than we'll be. Of course their still might be someone headed there that is "nudie patootie" but we're chancing it. Jack is telling everyone that he is heading to the nude beach with his mother-in-law because it sounds spicier that way!

From what I understand, the ones that are lacking clothing are not the ones that teenage boys would want to see without their bathing suits!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #754
disneymom8589
I am his Disney

Quote:
Our original plan had us on the Disney Magic this week while we celebrated our 25th anniversary (today, July 7th). Though we are not on the high seas, my life has been a great cruise for these many years. Thanks for a great life disneymom8589, and thanks for introducing me to Disney so many years ago.

ScubaD

Looking forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks
Thanks, Babe!!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #755
disneymom8589
I am his Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycsk View Post
Dear Spin,

You appear to be younger than several of us who are travelling, but are you young enough to have had "Everyday Math?" Your reply sound SO much like something my 8 yo would come up with!

Do any of the other parents here have as much trouble with Everyday Math as I do? (Helen, this is a recent math program that is taking all the schools around me by storm. People who teach math, whom I trust, tell me that it really is good for the kids, but it completely baffles many of us parents who grew up learning more 'traditional' math - the kids add, subtract, multiply and divide from LEFT to Right!)

Anyway, on our 4 day cruise two years ago, we did the online check in. But I am _certain_ that I printed many more forms. Now it only says that we have to print the signature page and not all of the pages. Someone mentioned that the real forms seem shorter, so I guess this may be in line with an entire policy change, but it seems pretty wild to me. I handled the check in myself for a group of 5 last time and the check in process was _very_ short for me. However, we spent a _lot_ of time waiting in port to board once we were checked in.

I'm trying to get there earlier this time and hopeful that we'll be able to board sooner!
I teach 2nd grade and we use the Everyday Math program, too. Some of it I like and some of it just seems like a more complicated way to teach the "traditional" form of carrying and borrowing. They give it nice fancy names like "trade first" and "partial sums algorithm" instead!

By the way, thanks to everyone for their well wishes for our 25th anniversary yesterday! We're looking forward to really celebrating and relaxing on the cruise!! It sounds like many families are busy this summer with plays, baseball, and VBS!! I'm sure you all will be ready for some "down time", too!!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #756
marcij

Cruise Director Chick

Quote:
1. Amen to the congratulations on 25 years!

2. Our family wish Bennett and Johnna the best! (Will they do the talent show on the ship? Alison thinks about it, but can't decide what to do.) Also, may I ask Johnna's favorite princess?

2a. I had to laugh about your schedule and cleaning. My kids go to VBS the week we leave - their last night is the night before we board the plane. And we, too, need to clean for the cat/fish sitters and I need to do some more before my kids first piano lesson tomorrow!

3. Marci, it is so exciting to hear about your boys! But I can't _believe_ your heat index!! Here in the east, it has been very cool and _very_ rainy this summer. I feel totally unprepared for the Caribbean weather!

23 days until FLA.
Even with these hot days, we aren't as humid as Florida or the Caribbean so I'll be sweating with you. Today will be a good warm-up. Andrew's game today is again at 3:45, but the heat index is supposed to be 111.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJobba1 View Post
Hi guys

Kim and Dave many congratulations for the anniversary.

Well my docs came today However no little UPS man they came via fedex (first time ever)

Hope the Show goes well and also the baseball

Things are very hectic here too.

Take care and I'll catch up later after I've put tea on

BTW MAdonna was fab well worth the 25yrs wait -
I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert. Yeah for docs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDisc View Post
Glad to hear the Madonna concert was good - I'm not a huge fan, but I heard she puts on a great show.

We got our docs yesterday. Quick question about those - have any of you done the on-line check-in on the Disney website? I guess it's a pre-check-in or something like that. I filled out all of the information, but I'm wondering if anyone has does this on a previous trip, and if so, did it work well? Did you get through the lines quicker when boarding the ship? Just curious.
I agree with the others. I've done on-line check-in or before that filled out the docs ahead, and it seems to only save handwriting. Except -- if you don't do it ahead of time you are standing back by the wall filling out paperwork instead of boarding or taking pics in the terminal. I've seen "The Look" from lots of people as they realize they didn't do their homework...

Quote:
Dear Spin,

My kids learned the montessori way as it's easier for dyslexics to physically have beads and the other manipulatives in their hands. That being said, they got their math skills from their Dad and have to ask him when they have a question about homework. It didn't take much to pass my skills.

Kicking Cancer's Butt One Day at a Time!
marcij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #757
MrsJobba1
I swoon @ the very mention of his name
Pirate Grabber
Captain Inquisitive
Has impeccable timing

Talking Yipee We have got the Palo private room Brunch

I spoke to DCL yesterday and today I have had an email.

It states that we are booked in the private room Sunday Aug 2nd for brunch at 10:30

I have to reconfirm when I board on the Saturday which I will do happily.

It would be good if we could meet at Palo around 10.20 on the Sunday - if thats ok with everyone. The email states that any individual reservations have been cancelled - if you could all check your dcl reservation please. And PM me to confirm.

At the moment it is for the origional 12 but I have emailed DCl to add on Scott and Anisa.
Policy:

o Guests must be 18 years or older to dine at Palo.

· Dress Code

Jeans are not allowed for dinner or brunch:

o Men - A dress shirt or jacket is required.

o Women - A dress or pantsuit is recommended.

· Cancellation

o 100% of the Palo Dining Option of $15 per Guest is applied to the Guests' folio, when the Guests do not show or have not cancelled by 2:00 PM the night the reservation is confirmed.

Smoking-is not permitted

Have a MAGICal cruise and Bon Voyage!!

I am so happy - I had a great brunch there 2 yrs ago with a group of dissers and it felt special to have our own room

Last edited by MrsJobba1; 07-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.
MrsJobba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #758
MrsJobba1
I swoon @ the very mention of his name
Pirate Grabber
Captain Inquisitive
Has impeccable timing

Just another update Scott and Anisa have been included;

The 14 are :Jobling x2
Ness x2
lefebvre x2
Burgess x4
Johnson x2
Moretti x2

Thanks all - Goodnight x

MrsJobba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #759
ScubaD
She is my Disney

5K on Castaway Cay

Who is going to join me on this? Sounds like fun.

The following article is from the "BLOG" section found on the homepage of the DisBoards. David Parfitt is a roaming reporter for the podcast crew. Go to the blog section and he has even pictures of the 5K run on Castaway Cay.

So here is David's article:

While I was on the Disney Wonder for the Four Day Podcast Cruise in May, I noticed an entry on the Navigator for our day on Castaway Cay (Day 3). It said 5K run, 8:30am, meet at gangway. Now I had heard about this run from previous cruisers, and heard you get to go out on the island before anyone else. Plus, it would be a good way to work off some of the extra calories I’ve consumed during the cruise. OK, this is one of the reasons I run – so I can do some touring on my feet. So come along with me on a running tour of Castaway Cay.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day on Castaway Cay. It was sunny and 80 degrees, incredibly humid, but not unbearably hot yet at 8:30am. There were about 10 of us who have come out to run this particular morning including at least 4 or 5 fellow DISers from the Podcast Cruise. The run was not a race, but a guided 5k saunter along the island with a Cast Member. Our guide was Jacyln the Captain’s Personal Assistant. Jaclyn does the Castaway Cay 5k loop a couple times a week, and she also runs in Nassau, the other port-of-call for the Disney Wonder.

First we walked over to the map of Castaway Cay, and Jaclyn went over the running route with us. Jaclyn told us the hazards of running on Castaway Cay, and explained we will have to dodge many people along the route. She also told us what paths to avoid so we would not get hit by the tram. Finally, Jaclyn told us there was water all along the course housed in coolers designed to look like cargo crates.

We started our run at the Castaway Cay map, ran past the boat charter and the tram stop. We headed through the eating areas, past Cookie’s Bar-B-Q, and into the retail shop areas. Of course, nothing was open at the time. When we came to the bike rentals, we bore to the right, and made our way to the landing strip. We ran right down the Castaway Cay runway past the “wreckage” of an old airplane.

Along the way, I was able to run with a few of DISers including my fellow Muddy Buddy Don (dpuck1998), Karen (klam_chowder), and Frank (FireDancer). Following the landing strip, the rest of the run was along the bike trails of Castaway Cay.

When we reached the end of the bike trail, there was a wonderful view of a tranquil “deserted” beach. This sight alone was worth the effort of the run.

Now it was time to loop back, and head back to the ship. Below are views along the bike trail during the run.

We ran back down the runway, and there were some excellent views of the ship if you wanted to stop and take pictures. At this point, I needed to get back to my family on the ship. [My wife was waiting for me for our Palo Brunch.] Then we worked our way through the shops and dining areas back to the ship where we started. It was a great run. It was an excellent way to wake up, and besides, how many times can you run on a tropical island? The run was a particularly good way for me to get oriented to the island since I had never been there before. If you’re a morning person and like to exercise, I would definitely give this 5K a try. Plus, at the end of the day when I got back to my room, I had a nice certificate to mark the occasion.

Last edited by ScubaD; 07-09-2009 at 09:38 PM.
ScubaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #760
ScubaD
She is my Disney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5LteQgBIMA

Shipmates,

We are one week away from giving my daughter to a very special young man. As we near the day we are practicing our father/daughter dance from the song "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman. I have included a video of the song, and we are even using a neighbor girl to play the young Melissa.

I will post the actual dance after next weekend.

Dave
Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #761
MelissaLG
Mouseketeer

CC 5k

Quote:
Who is going to join me on this? Sounds like fun.
My 12 yr. old son and I have been planning on running in this! We run several 5ks together per year and are really looking forward to this one!
MelissaLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #762
marcij

Cruise Director Chick

Quote:

Shipmates,

We are one week away from giving my daughter to a very special young man. As we near the day we are practicing our father/daughter dance from the song "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman. I have included a video of the song, and we are even using a neighbor girl to play the young Melissa.

Dave
I love SCC and that song -- what a special choice! I can't wait to see the actual dance.

Kicking Cancer's Butt One Day at a Time!
marcij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #763
MsLeFever
WPASADI II Co-Winner
Wants to be the #1 WPASADI!
Won't beg for a tag but will rewrite disco songs!
Eating chocolate is a good cure for anything and everything!

Does anyone know if you can walk the 5K - I'd be interested but I'm SO not a runner.

We got our paper work today - and I'm so excited - although a bit overwhelmed with everything that I have to finish before then!

The kid's production of Aladdin closes tonight - I'll be relieved not to have to drive downtown Pittsburgh everyday!

I sent a PM to those who are participating in the FE exchange!

Helen - I'm planning on bringing a Pittsburgh exchange - but I'm not sure when we'll be boarding - we land in Orlando at 11 something...
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #764
joycsk
Red's my girl

Blubbering Fool

Quote:

Shipmates,

Dave
Dear Dave,

Oh, gwarsh! You got me. I didn't know the song. 8 bars into it, I'm here crying and wrecked. I wish you such luck. Although my daughter is only 8, I sat here thinking how doomed he is when it comes to dancing at her wedding. I'm not sure that Mothers of the Groom don't get off (a little) easier. There aren't so many songs like 'Cinderella' or 'Butterfly Kisses.' It was 11 years ago, and we danced to "Wind Beneath my Wings." Still makes me sentimental. Anyway, thanks for the tears and the memories!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #765
ScubaD
She is my Disney

Don't tell anyone, but the first time I heard this song Kim and I were picking up pizza and on the way to the restaurant she asked if I wanted to hear the song our daughter, Melissa, picked for the father/daughter dance and of course I wanted to. Anyway, I reacted the same way you did.

One month ago I thought I would be fine, now I am six days away and I am getting a little nervous. My goal is to have most of the mascara in the place running on the faces of our guests

We have a pretty good ending planned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: