Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #151
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_hen View Post
Will this magnet work for everyone?

i uploaded a full res 4x6 here: http://3pixelchicks.com/FKLP_magnet.jpg

I can change it if you'd rather have a different design.

--Sara
Sara - YOU ROCK!!!! This is perfect. Now I have to get some magnet paper! This is getting me excited. Jim asked about the KLP locations (but asked the husband - what was he thinking) I told him to ask the wife!

We are running off to dinner, but will check back later tonight with our possible excursion list.

2_Eagle_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #152
indigodisney
Mouseketeer

Sara - I agree with Jane, that magnet is great!! Nice work on that...thanks so much for doing it.

Jane, I live outside of Toronto - nice part of the country but not as scenic as Whistler!

I don't really have too much for formal night either...and for pirate night I have a disney pirate tshirt and that is about it at this point, might look around for something for all of us with Halloween costumes out now.

We have our 4 night cruise in December and I can scope out what people are wearing then but i have heard that the 3 and 4 night cruises are a little more casual than the 7 night.

Jane, looking forward to hearing what is on your excursion list.

Have a great night everyone!
indigodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2008, 03:05 AM   #153
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

Hi everyone,

We just got back from dinner and a rousing game of Hoopla (hoopla!). We had a fantastic time, but I've got to get to sleep. I'll post tomorrow our excursion list options, pirate and dinner wear.

Good night.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #154
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Will this magnet work for everyone?

i uploaded a full res 4x6 here: http://3pixelchicks.com/FKLP_magnet.jpg

I can change it if you'd rather have a different design.

--Sara
That is SOOOOO awesome!!!!! FKLP here we come!!
You're the BEST! BTW, I checked out your website, too! How neat!! After I finish the scrapbook that I bought on our last cruise, I want to switch to digital scrapbooking for everything. Unfortunately, I just got started on it last month (I know, I know...our cruise ended 17 months ago!! Better late than never, right?) My neighbor uses Shutterfly so I've seen several of her books and love how they've turned out.

Hudson 5 & Lennon 3 (currently Hudson8&Lennon6)

Western Magic 04-21-07 (10th Anniversary cruise)
Western Magic 05-16-09
Hudson5&Lennon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #155
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Eagle_Mom View Post
I didn't realize we could book in January the worksheet forms that I had from Passporter said March. Now that adds more pressure to make some decisions.
If you have sailed before and are a Castaway Club member, you can book excursions and Palo at 90 days out, but for first-time cruisers, you can't book until 75 days out. I'll see if I can find the counter thing that tells you what day you can book these...

Quote:
I don't know anything about the shopping, either. Not much of a shopper (unless you are talking about camera equipment or computers! LOL!)
So what kind of camera do you have? Before our last cruise, we got a Nikon D40 and just love it! I got Justin an 18-200 mm zoom lens for Father's Day (even though I'm mostly the picture-taker ) and now wish we had just splurged even more from the beginning and got it right away. It's awesome!

Indigo, what kind of shopping are you looking to do? We did a little in GC and Coz but the boys aren't shoppers, so it cut us short quite a bit. On GC, we were mostly looking in jewelry stores. I actually fell in love with a princess cut diamond necklace but just couldn't spend the money on it. I'm glad I didn't because two days later on our anniversary in Palo, Justin presented me with a one-of-a-kind 1.5 t.c.w anniversary ring with three princess cut diamonds that he designed himself! My wedding ring is a heart-shaped diamond, so he thought he was going to totally flunk out going with the princess cuts, but I am just in love with it! And if we hadn't been shopping in jewelry stores in GC, I probably would never have even thought about princess! Coz didn't really have much for jewelry stores (a few, but not as many as GC). They had mostly trinket-type places, but we didn't venture very far. The boys were tired of walking, so we rode a horse and buggy back to the port instead of continuing to shop. I don't think we bought anything at either port.

Quote:
For those of you who have been on a DCL cruise before, how much do people dress up for pirate night? Are we going to stick out if we dress in full pirate costume?
For pirate night, we "dressed down" a little. Justin wore jeans and a Harley button up shirt (and this was before they "allowed" jeans), but there were definitely people in full pirate costumes, too. I say if you want to do it, GO FOR IT! Seeing a few other people dressed up made us think that we might do it this time, too, especially with Halloween coming up and costumes readily available.

Quote:
Also, how formal is formal night? I haven't been able to squeeze myself into a bridesmaid's gown in years! LOL!
I was thinking an ankle length black skirt with a sweater, but I don't know if that's formal enough... seems more like the semi formal description? yikes. I can buy a formal if I need to but I'm wondering if it's necessary.
Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. To tell you the truth, I don't think I even looked at what anyone else was wearing the entire time (other than when the pirates caught our attention), and I doubt anyone looked at us either. We actually did two formal nights (on formal night and on semi-formal night, which was our anniversary/Palo), and I will probably bring both dresses again just because I love them so much and haven't worn them since.

Quote:
Excursions:
we are looking at KW on our own (with the FKLP Tour club)
GC: one of the semi submersible tours so DS can see the coral reefs? maybe dolphins?
Coz: the tour to the "natural water park" sounded like fun - it's an all-day affair.
CCay: stingrays
Sounds like great options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Eagle_Mom View Post
Now I have to get some magnet paper!
I didn't do magnet paper since I've heard they don't always go through printers very well and can be expensive. I just printed on regular paper and laminated it (I just got the el cheapo laminate-at-home pack where you just stick two clear sticky pages together...not the best, but it didn't need to be either) and then used the 3M brand MagnaTabs on the back. We use these things all the time for photos on the fridge, etc. They are reuseable and just peel off when you're done so you can put it on something else. Just another option...

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 09-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #156
indigodisney
Mouseketeer

I had a chance to look at the excursions and these are the ones I am liking:

Key West - on our own...plus the KLP tour

Grand Cayman -
SEVEN MILE BEACH BREAK
Feel your cares melt away under the Caribbean sun while you enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of Grand Cayman's newest beach destination. Soak up the tropical ambience and enjoy a refreshing beverage from your cozy beach chair as the tropical breezes surround you and invite you for a swim in the crystal-clear blue waters.
Cozumel -
COZUMEL RUINS & BEACH TOUR
Immerse yourself in the ancient history and present-day fun of historic Cozumel. Wander the fascinating Mayan archeological site, the San Gervasio Ruins, and uncover the mysterious significance of the small red handprints in the Temple of the Hands. Then, venture to the picturesque Playa Mia beach for some fun in the sun.

This is subject to change...hahaha - sorry for the confusion about the booking date for excursions, spa, etc. We are concierge because of the Romance package so we can do 105 days out.

Val, you hit the nail on the head with what I would be shopping for - jewellery....platinum settings for my engagement ring, etc. Good to know that GC would be the place for that...I bought some jewellery in St.Maarten when we were there years ago. Your anniversary present sounds amazing, what a nice surprise!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #157
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Here's a link to a date calculator. http://pscalculator.net/allearsnet/pscalcae.php If you put in 05/16/2009, it tells you when you can do things ___ days in advance. 90 days for Castaway Club Members is 02/15/2009, and 75 days for new cruisers is 03/02/2009. For those fortunate enough to be in a suite (or booked for the Romantic Escape), you get to book at 105 days on 01/31/2009.

I found some pics of what we wore for formal and semi-formal nights. I don't remember if I've posted these before or not. If so, here they are again.
This was Monday (formal) before the Golden Mickeys:

This doesn't really show much of our outfits, but you can get the picture. The full view pics that we took of each other in our stateroom aren't very appealing. We had just returned from the tequila tasting AND the beer tasting, so we were a little...well..."tipsy," should I say? Needless to say, our facial expressions were pretty hilarious and not something I prefer to post here. Even this one isn't a great picture of us, but it's the best I've got with our Palo outfits.

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #158
indigodisney
Mouseketeer

Val, you look beautiful! Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

I have no idea what I would wear to formal night but I am going to make sure that it is something that I am comfortable in....at least we have some time and this is good because I need to get rid of another 5-10 lbs that mysteriously creeps on throughout the summer.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #159
mother_hen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson5&Lennon3 View Post
So what kind of camera do you have?
I am bringing my Canon 40D. I had a Canon EOS300D for the longest time, but it finally gave up the ghost last week at the soccer fields. All my lenses are Canon, so it's an easy choice Your Nikon is a great camera. My friend who is a professional photographer has that one as well. Her photos are amazing!

Quote:
For pirate night, we "dressed down" a little. ...but there were definitely people in full pirate costumes, too.
Thanks for the low down on the pirate and formal wear. I guess I have some time to think about it and plan for it. I'll probably pick up some fun pirate wear at Halloween. I think I've convinced DS to go as a pirate for Halloween, too

Quote:
I didn't do magnet paper since I've heard they don't always go through printers very well and can be expensive. I just printed on regular paper and laminated it (I just got the el cheapo laminate-at-home pack where you just stick two clear sticky pages together...not the best, but it didn't need to be either) and then used the 3M brand MagnaTabs on the back. We use these things all the time for photos on the fridge, etc. They are reuseable and just peel off when you're done so you can put it on something else. Just another option...
I've put magnet paper through my Epson printers and it's been fine - but a little hard to find here. I think the self-laminate thing sounds perfect. Those business-card sized magnets are really great, too. We use those all the time on the backs of schedules and stuff we want to hang on the fridge. I keep a stack of them in my desk drawer.

Thanks for your kind words about my website. I'm going to try to get a bunch of quick pages done before the cruise so all I've got to do is stick my photos in and do a little journaling after we get back. You're welcome to have whatever I come up with.
Shutterfly does a nice job, don't they? I love the books I've ordered through them.

Thanks for the kudos on the FKLP magnet. It will be so fun to see them on people's doors

Val, your pictures are so beautiful! What a lovely family! The boys look too cute all spiffed up
mother_hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #160
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

We are finally back online! We thought we had a major melt down of our router but Jim was able to figure it out. I had typed up my response below earlier this morning.

Excusions that we are thinking about:

Key West - we are pretty much convinced we are going to do this on our own. As I said before Jim know someone from Key West and besides the KLP locations he is going to get some suggestions on the top things to do. We'll probably end up just walking around town (have to work off that pie somehow).

Grand Caymen - the excursions that we have highlighted as possible choices are either the Seaworld Explorer Semi-Submarine or the Aquaboat & Snorkel Adventure.

Cozumel - were having a real hard time deciding on any activities. I would'nt mind seeing some ruins, but the one tour that looked good is all day long (and expensive). The two tours that are listed as new (from the PassPorter) that I want to see reveiws on before booking are the Mexican Cuisine Workshop and Tasting or the Discover Mexico and Chankanaab. Or I might see if I can talk Jim into doing a couples massage treatment in the spa villa (I know WAY expensive, but since it is our anniversary, it may be well worth the money and mac&cheese nights before hand).

Regarding the Formal & Semi-Formal nights, according to the reports that I've seen online (and also from Val on post 111) earlier in the thread. It pretty much is as much or as little you want to do. We had to buy a sport coat for Jim recently and we figured he'll wear that with slacks for both nights. For the formal night he might add a tie. Depending on how much weight I'm able to lose before the trip will decide what I wear. Every year in January I have to dress up for an awards banquet for work so I might just double duty it and use the same outfit for formal night (last year I wore black slacks and a dressy top). If I get down the two sizes I might surprise Jim and actually buy a dress! For semi-formal night I'll definately be doing some sort of slacks (don't want to get Jim too used to the dress thing) I'll be wearing that same outfit while we are at WDW for our actual anniversary dinner (I'm thinking of Narcoosee's and the Wishes fireworks).

For the Pirates night - I bought Jim a pirate's polo shirt at DL. It is a black and grey striped polo shirt with a pirate patch on the left chest and a very subtle scull and crossbones on the back. I was hoping to find a pheasant shirt that I could add accessories to make "pirate like". We aren't the type to go "all out" but I've seen photos from trip reports and it doesn't look like you would be alone if you did.

Val - the photos are great! Love your black dress! And the boys are adorable. Great idea about laminating the stickers and using the magnets that are re-usable.

Mother_Hen - I also went to your website last night. I didn't get to spend much time there, but I'm going to bookmark it. Can you let me know when you get your PhotoShop Tutorial online? It sounds just like something I could use. I'm much more of a visual person than a read the manual type of person.

Indigo - thanks for clearing up the booking date. I had thought about doing the Romance Package but couldn't rationalize it just yet.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #161
starlawyermom
Earning My Ears

Hi all - I've been so busy at work and in the evenings I have not had a moment to get on line. Thanks for all the great info - I have NOTHING to add because we have never been on DCL, but we are really looking forward to it. In terms of the excursions, I have read up on them in the new edition of Passporters and none seem all the appealing to me (maybe I am just boring or picky). I have cruised before and the first time I went, I booked excurions in every port and thought that they were less than impressive for the price (and that was when I was single and only had to pay for one ). The second time I cruised I hung out on the boat and thought it was just great - plenty to do and you can enjoy the boat without the crowds. I guess it all depends on what brother-in-law and his family want to do - if my kids' cousins are doing something, there is no way my two will allow themselves to be left behind for a second!
Keep those great posts coming -

starlawyermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #162
indigodisney
Mouseketeer

Bumping this back up to the top...and checking in with everyone. Wow, time is flying fast, can't believe we are already in October.

I am anxiously waiting to hear some results from a ct scan I had last week - they had discovered a mass on my kidney and needed some further investigation and the same week (last weekend in fact) our cat ran away from home. It was a rough week to say the least.

I found that thinking about this vacation and hanging with my daughter this weekend helped immensely.

Hope you all have a great week! I am looking forward to this week - it can ony get better I hope.

Indigo
Old 10-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #163
mother_hen
Mouseketeer

I am so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, Indigo!
Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping all goes well with your CT scan results. And also hoping Kitty finds her way back home. What a week!

Yes, thinking about this vacation is a great way to get through rough days. I keep thinking.... soon we will be gazing out over those beautiful sunsets at sea ..... soon we will be basking on the beach ... soon we will be eating FKLP on a stick
mother_hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #164
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Indigo--I just sent you a PM...

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #165
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlawyermom View Post
In terms of the excursions, I have read up on them in the new edition of Passporters and none seem all the appealing to me (maybe I am just boring or picky). I have cruised before and the first time I went, I booked excurions in every port and thought that they were less than impressive for the price (and that was when I was single and only had to pay for one ). The second time I cruised I hung out on the boat and thought it was just great - plenty to do and you can enjoy the boat without the crowds.
We're pretty much the same way. As much as we are spending on the cruise, we are planning on enjoying the (nearly empty!) ship on port days...other than FKLP, of course! Our "adventures" off the ship really weren't that great last time, and the one excursion we did on GC was kinda pricey, too (and it pained me to spend $65+ on lunch when we could see the ship from the balcony where we were sitting knowing that it had food that we were already paying for, but Justin wanted to try "authentic" Caribbean food, so we did). The excursions are even more expensive if you book them directly through Disney, but most of the Disney-sponsored ones had a minimum age of 5+, so that excluded us from those anyway because Lennon was only 3. We don't feel comfortable leaving the kids in the club while we are in the port either, so that wasn't even an option for us. But we felt "obligated" to at least get off the ship so we could say that we actually went to GC or Coz or KW since we don't know if we'll ever get a chance to go back. Now that we've BTDT, we'll probably spend most of our time onboard. But that's just me--I'm kind of a tight @$$ (Justin says I squeak when I walk ). I'll have to pull out our Navigators from last time and see what activities were available during port times. It seemed like they still had plenty of stuff going on to keep busy. When we got back to the ship early, we just went straight to the Mickey pool again since that's what the boys wanted to do.

Western Magic 05-16-09

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: