Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #631
trimix
DIS Veteran

Halfway there

I booked my family cruise on 2/29/08, 540 days before departure. As of today there are 269 days remaining. For me, I am happy to report the wait is half over!

I just hope the passage of time doesn't slow down between now and August, or it'll be the longest 269 days of my life!

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #632
Maza
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryb View Post
Hi Maza
Count us in for lanyards and FE's. There are 5 of us split into 2 cabins 2146 & 2148

I have a Twilight question and it sounds like this group could help me out. Our DD11 has been asking to read the book, but from the movie trailers I think she is too young. I was thinking about buying the book and reading it myself first, but I won't bother if 11 is definitley not old enough.
Let her read it..its a beautiful love story. no gratuitous sex. bit of violence but more benign in the book than in the film.Then buy the other 3 books in the series.! Can ya tell im a fan
The film , atleast the trailers , seem to ham up the sexual tension aspect, but that is not the vibe i got from the book at all! one word of waning though...it might make her have unrealistic expectations of boys! My DDs are both 'waiting' for their Edward!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #633
grumpy-gramps
EXTRA STOUT always bitter but never boring.

Hi All,

have a gread day for you non Thanksgiving folks,
gg
grumpy-gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #634
jhryb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza View Post

Let her read it..its a beautiful love story. no gratuitous sex. bit of violence but more benign in the book than in the film.Then buy the other 3 books in the series.! Can ya tell im a fan
The film , atleast the trailers , seem to ham up the sexual tension aspect, but that is not the vibe i got from the book at all! one word of waning though...it might make her have unrealistic expectations of boys! My DDs are both 'waiting' for their Edward!!!
Thank you Maza
Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #635
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza View Post

I actually would say that waiting a year or two for her might be good....the first book doesn't have much gratuitous sex or violence, but it's still pretty steamy! I had to take a "breather" for a few minutes during one particularly romantic scene I would say that the other three books in the series do get a bit more mature, though. I think they're totally appropriate for a 13-year-old or older, but as a middle school teacher I'd probably follow my own middle school's rules. If the book is "young adult," no 5th or 6th graders can take it out...and 7th and 8th graders need parental permission.

It all depends on what you think your child can handle, though!
Mackie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #636
Maza
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
I actually would say that waiting a year or two for her might be good....the first book doesn't have much gratuitous sex or violence, but it's still pretty steamy! I had to take a "breather" for a few minutes during one particularly romantic scene

I would say that the other three books in the series do get a bit more mature, though. I think they're totally appropriate for a 13-year-old or older, but as a middle school teacher I'd probably follow my own middle school's rules. If the book is "young adult," no 5th or 6th graders can take it out...and 7th and 8th graders need parental permission.

It all depends on what you think your child can handle, though!

Best bet is probably to read it yourself and see what you think. Both my girls enjoyed it, the older one more aware of the 'romance' aspect.! All depends on your DDs perception i suppose I have never really been too conscious of book reading age...its not something that really figures in book classifications over here, cant honestly say i have really noticed to be honest!My girls have advanced reading ages so its limiting to restrict them to 'age appropriate' books...I was 11 when i first read Pride and Prejudice...and i see Twilight as being fairly similar in genre...therefore i was quite happy for my girls to read it!
As Mackie says...You might find bits 'steamy', (i did too )..but we are adults with different levels of sexual awareness than our kids and therefore more conscious of where the story could be going. As i said, my older daughter (who is nearly 15) 'fell in love' with the main character...the youngest one thinks the vampires and action was cool. All a matter of awareness i suppose
Old 11-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #637
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!

Regarding the Twilight book......would an 11 y/o be interested in reading about romance? That's the real question because this is a love story and an 11 y/o might be bored.

The romance factor is definitely PG rated - I actually had a good chuckle reading the book about the complete lack of sex in the story. Most of the "romance" is Bella talking about how gorgeous Edward is.

There is nothing in the book that is inappropriate for an 11 y/o. Edward can "magically" visit Bella in her bedroom and yet he does nothing more with her than some quick kisses. I was expecting a big sexually seductive scene at that point and was stunned at how chaste Edward is.

My DD is 13 and I have absolutely no problem with her reading the book. But I do agree with the comment that Edward is a little "too perfect" regarding his behavior and thus girls will have very high expectations about male behavior.

I did hear that the other books are more "mature", particularly the 4th one.

I agree with the advice to read them yourself.

I saw the movie this afternoon. Boy, those two hours just flew by. The movie was good. Robert Pattinson is gorgeous but I will admit I thought the actor who plays Carlisle is just as good looking.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 17,2008 Wonder B2B - triple dip to CC
Aug 22, 2009 Magic western
Aug 22, 2010 Wonder & WDW
Ski-and-Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #638
jhryb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-and-Sea View Post
.... But I do agree with the comment that Edward is a little "too perfect" regarding his behavior and thus girls will have very high expectations about male behavior.....
Thank you everyone for your help. If my DD sets her standards high (regarding male behavior) as a result of reading the book, then I will take that as a big plus
Our Canadian Thanksgiving was back in October, but I hope that everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving in the US had a great weekend.
I started packing today for my Christmas vacation. My family is leaving in two weeks for a two week vacation to Cuba. Cuba is a popular spot for Canadians looking for a reasonably priced sun vacation. The beaches are beautiful. My parents, my sisters and their families are all going too. This will be my first non-traditional Christmas - I'm not even putting up a tree this year.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #639
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Hey everyone. I've been MIA (bet a lot of you are saying, "Kim WHO?", lol) for quite some time. I'm sorry to report that I cancelled our cruise today. The uncertain economic times have forced me to reevaluate the wisdom of taking this trip next year, and financial prudence indicated that postponing my dream vacation was the right thing to do. I know we'll get there someday and I'll continue to save for it.

I also wanted to let people know that a midship Category 5 stateroom opened up today in case anyone was looking to make such a booking.

I hope you all have fun planning your trips, and that the cruise is everything you dream it will be!!
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #640
trimix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1964 View Post
Hey everyone. I've been MIA (bet a lot of you are saying, "Kim WHO?", lol) for quite some time. I'm sorry to report that I cancelled our cruise today. The uncertain economic times have forced me to reevaluate the wisdom of taking this trip next year, and financial prudence indicated that postponing my dream vacation was the right thing to do. I know we'll get there someday and I'll continue to save for it.

I also wanted to let people know that a midship Category 5 stateroom opened up today in case anyone was looking to make such a booking.

I hope you all have fun planning your trips, and that the cruise is everything you dream it will be!!
Sorry to hear that, Kim. I've started reconsidering my reservations as well; hopefully we'll both be cruising soon!

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #641
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1964 View Post

I'm sorry to hear that your summer will have a little less Disney Magic in it, Kim (literally and figuratively).

Would it be selfish of me to also encourage someone to snatch up that room in case it trickles down into a free honeymoon upgrade for FH and me? *looks away sheepishly*

How is everyone's holiday season going?
Mackie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #642
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Hi Kim, Sorry to hear you have cancelled but totally understand why. It has crossed my mind also. Wouldn't go down too well with Karen and Matt though as they love DCL more than me.
If we did cancel we would actually make a profit as the $ has got so strong against the $, the $1,500 we have paid cost me £750 but I would get about £1,000 back at todays rate, over 30% profit.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #643
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I'm curious to see what tomorrows big DCL announcement will be (according to the rumors out there). Hopefully it will be something that we can all take advantage of. With the economy the way that it is, any discount would be nice.

Oh well... not a deal that we can apply to this cruise

Last edited by jhryb; 12-10-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: announcement released
jhryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #644
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Sorry everyone. But, Erik and I have cancelled our Aug. cruise.

We got a terrific deal for Feb 12.
3 night Wonder for $850 for the 4 of us. Plus, there is a scheduled space shuttle launch for that day.

This is a perfect opportunity to see if we like DCL.
There has been some terrific deals on some of the other lines lately.
But, we did not want to dissapoint the kids.
We will be looking to go on another cruise in summer/fall.

Added bonus is that the kids will only have to miss one day of school.

DCL took our deposit from our Aug cruise and applied it to this one. They owe us $.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #645
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
Sorry everyone. But, Erik and I have cancelled our Aug. cruise.

We got a terrific deal for Feb 12.
3 night Wonder for $850 for the 4 of us. Plus, there is a scheduled space shuttle launch for that day.

This is a perfect opportunity to see if we like DCL.
There has been some terrific deals on some of the other lines lately.
But, we did not want to dissapoint the kids.
We will be looking to go on another cruise in summer/fall.

Added bonus is that the kids will only have to miss one day of school.

DCL took our deposit from our Aug cruise and applied it to this one. They owe us $.
Hi Christi.
Glad you got a great deal. I think you booked around same time as us all them months ago. 3 nighters are very very short but you have to do whats right for your family.
I have been tempted so many times to do an Alaskan cruise with HAL. If we went in May we would only pay for 2, then you can have 2 free in same room(adults or children) 4 of us could book for 7 nighter for around $2,000. Only problem is airfare, for the dates to Seattle they are over $600 each. Other cruiselines are doing fantastic offers, I am almost certain next August will be last with Disney, just can't justify the cost anymore.
Have you ever seen a shuttle launch? We did last August, one of the best experiences of my life. Want to see a night launch now.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: