Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #1591
trimix
DIS Veteran

Has anybody here had knee surgery?

Yesterday afternoon my daughter had an outpatient knee surgery. They removed a piece of the meniscus that had torn off and explored the inside of her knee to look at the rest of the meniscus, the ACL and PCL, and look at the back of her patella.

She is able to bend it today and was able to put weight on it when coming home yesterday evening, but is naturally pretty sore.

When asked how long she would be in pain or need crutches the medical staff all said it depends on her. So I am wondering how long it has taken other people to get over this. The incisions will have healed by then, so she'll be able to enjoy water, so I am just wondering how active she will be on land.

On the positive side, I have been concerned about our connection in Salt Lake. At times the flight from Seattle comes in 20 minutes late, leaving only 25 minutes - or 15 minutes, since they want to close the door 10 minutes early. Since I doubt she'll be able to walk as quickly as she may need to, I asked for a cart to take us between gates. So I understand the airline now has a responsibility to get us to the connecting flight before it leaves, assuming the incoming flight gets there before the departing flight leaves.

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #1592
sandyh67
Proud DVC owner since 2003

August 21st for us!
I have soooo much left to do, it has just crept right up on me. not that I am complaining!
Still need to finish my FE gifts-

and where is my fellow midwife from the UK?? We need to set up a time to meet, or at least swap cabin numbers so we can leave a message, I am looking forward to meeting you!

sandyh67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #1593
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
And if we end up in heavy weather, I would really love to look out one of those deck 1 portholes at the waves!
Repeat after me, "there will be no heavy weather"! Nothing but blue skies! (wouldn't want to turn your wife off cruising for heaven sake!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrR View Post
She's completely fine now, thank you Wayne. She came down with it on Tuesday evening, and by Friday you wouldn't think there had ever been anything wrong. Providing you're not part of the tragic minority to get complications, it really isn't something serious. A lot of the panic has been media-induced, and it's been blown up into something far worse than it actually is!
So glad she is feeling better. After the initial panic here, H1N1 media-hype has really died down. If I wasn't watching BBC news the one night, would not have known about the big jump in flu cases in Great Britain.

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #1594
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora's Mommy View Post
So glad she is feeling better. After the initial panic here, H1N1 media-hype has really died down. If I wasn't watching BBC news the one night, would not have known about the big jump in flu cases in Great Britain.
Why you watching BBC news? are you trying to understand our accent before we get there?

For the past 2-3 years I have not read 1 UK newspaper but I read Orlando Sentinel site almost every day Florida news is always more intersting than ours.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #1595
gonzalj1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yesterday afternoon my daughter had an outpatient knee surgery. They removed a piece of the meniscus that had torn off and explored the inside of her knee to look at the rest of the meniscus, the ACL and PCL, and look at the back of her patella.

She is able to bend it today and was able to put weight on it when coming home yesterday evening, but is naturally pretty sore.

When asked how long she would be in pain or need crutches the medical staff all said it depends on her. So I am wondering how long it has taken other people to get over this. The incisions will have healed by then, so she'll be able to enjoy water, so I am just wondering how active she will be on land.

On the positive side, I have been concerned about our connection in Salt Lake. At times the flight from Seattle comes in 20 minutes late, leaving only 25 minutes - or 15 minutes, since they want to close the door 10 minutes early. Since I doubt she'll be able to walk as quickly as she may need to, I asked for a cart to take us between gates. So I understand the airline now has a responsibility to get us to the connecting flight before it leaves, assuming the incoming flight gets there before the departing flight leaves.
I had very similar surgery many moons ago when I was young. I was back on my feet walking within a week and doing physical therapy. It took a good couple weeks for me to feel "normal" again and about 6 weeks for me to be back on the baseball field.

I think the staff is right in that every person is different. Everyone heals at a different rate. I would suggest that the best way to get back to health quickly is to follow the Dr.'s and therapists orders as closely as possble. Take the meds they provide and do the excercises to restrengthen the limb.

I hope she feels better soon. We can compare scars when we meet!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #1596
Pixiedustdawn
Mouseketeer

Sorry I haven't been on here for quite a while. I have been traveling.

MrR, Glad to hear things are much better now. I went through the Strain A a few months back with my DD. It was mostly respiratory and not as bad as the regular flu. Thank God I am hearing others are pulling out of it just as well.

Trimix, I hope your DD feels better!

When is the meet for this cruise. I am going to need to write down the date/place/time since we are leaving on Monday the 3rd for Disney.

We are going to be onboard the Magic for about a month. I am a bit nervous and excited all at the same time. Hope I don't grow my own Mickey ears, but that may not be so bad. hahaha

Dawn
Pixiedustdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #1597
Maza
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyh67 View Post
August 21st for us!
I have soooo much left to do, it has just crept right up on me. not that I am complaining!
Still need to finish my FE gifts-

and where is my fellow midwife from the UK?? We need to set up a time to meet, or at least swap cabin numbers so we can leave a message, I am looking forward to meeting you!
Here I am!
Have you read your PMs? Are you still FE gifting? I need your room number! for that as well as our 'madwife' meet!
I am working on our regional Neonatal transport team now...all good fun! will fill you in ...in about a months time
Old 07-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #1598
TheFatMansWife
Mouseketeer

we fly on 4th august to orlando
very excited
bev
DISNEY MAGIC Oct 2007 Western SILVER WEDDING * RCCL Independence Inaugural May 2008 Cork * RCCL Independence Oct 2008 Canary Islnds
DISNEY MAGIC Aug 2009 Tortola *B2B* DISNEY MAGIC Aug 2009 Western * RCCL Independence Oct 2009 Canary Islnds AGAIN !! *
* RCCL Independence "MED" Jul2010 *RCCL Monarch Bahamas Aug2011*DISNEY DREAM Bahamas Aug2011*

TheFatMansWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #1599
Aurora's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Why you watching BBC news? are you trying to understand our accent before we get there?

For the past 2-3 years I have not read 1 UK newspaper but I read Orlando Sentinel site almost every day Florida news is always more intersting than ours.
The world news is so much more pleasant when read with a proper British accent!

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Old 07-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #1600
Pixiedustdawn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatMansWife View Post
we fly on 4th august to orlando
very excited
bev
Maybe we will see each other in the parks?

If not I will see you on the ship.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #1601
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora's Mommy View Post
The world news is so much more pleasant when read with a proper British accent!
We certainly don't have that being from Yorkshire, the rest of the country has trouble understanding us
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #1602
trimix
DIS Veteran

The first hundred messages to this thread took three months, 18 days. The most recent hundred took nine days. I'll bet the next hundred take seven days or less.

Our cruise must be getting close...

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #1603
gonzalj1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedustdawn View Post

We are going to be onboard the Magic for about a month. I am a bit nervous and excited all at the same time. Hope I don't grow my own Mickey ears, but that may not be so bad. hahaha

Dawn

I'm so jealous!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:45 AM   #1604
Pixiedustdawn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalj1 View Post
I'm so jealous!
This is your first cruise of many. You will become as addicted as I am after this.

Dawn
Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #1605
Aurora's Mommy

Quote:
The first hundred messages to this thread took three months, 18 days. The most recent hundred took nine days. I'll bet the next hundred take seven days or less.
I'll do my part! BTW, how's DD's knee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedustdawn View Post
Wow, when exactly do you board, and when do you disembark? And, if you do grow those Mickey ears, at least we will all recognize you.

I think the meet is at 2:30 in the Promenade Lounge. Please offer a correction if I am wrong.

Denise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: