Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:57 AM   #31
chickenskin
Mouseketeer

Nope, never happened to us.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #32
SnwflkCts
I wanna go back ... when can I go back???

Happened to us at CRT for dinner. I think that is the only time. Usually order apps and entree at same time. I don't think this would really bother me either way. It could be because of the "runners" like another poster mentioned.

I even remember at CRT, the waiter said ... if we knew what we wanted, he would go ahead and put it in. He was no where in sight when dessert came -- I remember because DH wanted milk with his dessert and it took an act of congress to get it! But we still had a great time there. (A little unspilled milk never hurt my meal ) ... anyway ... interesting discussion!
DH, me, DCats: Maddie (12), Peanut Butter (12), Jelly Bean (7), Snowflake RIP 1/2010@19 yrs & Baby Button@2 yrs in 11/2011 - Feb 06 Poly; Nov 06 Poly (21st Wedding Ann.); Feb 09 Poly; Feb 10 Poly Second Dining Report 2/07/2010 thru 2/12/2010
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #33
Alltiggeredout
Mouseketeer

I won't be ordering all at once,because i don't want to order 3courses and then find i'm full after 2.
2005 Sequoia Lodge DLP feb
2007 CSR dec
2009 CSR dec
2013 CSR dec
me (46) DW (44) DD (22)
Old 12-02-2007, 05:50 AM   #34
LeCras
Mouseketeer
I don't think I could live without tomatoes!

Never happened to us either. Our last trip we had lunch at Sci-Fi, Biergarten and Planet Hollywood, and dinner at Raglan Road, Alfredo, Kona Cafe, Bistro, V&A, Boma, Cali Grill, Blue Zoo and Fultons. All restaurants allowed us to order and enjoy the food at a pace that suited us.

We don't always eat dessert - tend to be too full at that stage. If I was asked to order dessert before the meal I would definitely let them know this. I wouldn't want to pay in advance for a dessert I would only look at....

Charlotte
Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #35
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3csluvthemouse View Post
This really bothers me, and I had a server get quite rude about it when I changed my mind about what I wanted. She first came to the table and said, "This is how we are going to do this" and proceeded to tell us she wanted the entire order. Anyone else experiencing this?
My response would have been "No, that's not how we are going to do it. Please ask your manager to come over." Then I'd ask the manager for a new server and explain that we prefer to order each course separately. I'd also be sure to tip the new server well (assuming they are the least bit acceptable) so that the original server will realize what they missed.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #36
jarestel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in CT View Post
You are very considerate. For the prices charged at the WDW signature restaurants I would not be happy if this treatment were to occur. Those prices should guarantee a "unique dining experience" IMHO. To this point we always have except for once at Citrico's.
In my case, I didn't mean to include the signature dining restaurants in my generalization, but was referring to the bulk of the 2nd & 3rd tier restaurants. The signature restaurants are still, IMO, doing a fine job of balancing customer and business demands.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #37
kent285
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanadeb View Post
The server said that it was because it made it easier for the kitchen staff.
That's actually pretty funny, considering that it's the server who benefits the most when people order everything all at once. If food is ordered all at once, then the server only has to put the order in one time...one less thing for the server to have to remember.
When my DH and I go out (here at home), we often order our dinner salad first, then order our dinner when the salad arrives. That way there is no chance of my dinner arriving while we are still eating our salad. My daughter was a server this summer, and she said, that while it's o.k. for people to do this, it does make it more inconvenient for the server.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #38
BarleyJack
And a pirin tablet? Why? Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?

Maybe a little off topic, but I have a question. We will be there in January on the DDP. WHY does the server need to know your (our) method of payment before the meal is ordered? Having waited tables in the past, payment type doesn't matter until the ticket is being closed out, at which point you can swipe gift cards/credit cards, apply cash or gift certificates/traveler's cheques?? I know some might say, so they can tell you what's included, etc. My feeling is that should a guest already know what is included in the DDP the source of payment shouldn't matter to the server. I just don't want to be shelling out thousands of dollars for this dream vacation only to receive sub par service at restaurants we've been looking forward to for 180 days only because we are on the dining plan.
1990-Disneyland, offsite
2008 (jan)-WDW, POP/POR split stay
2009 (september)-WDW CBR -Food and Wine/Halloween
2009 (september)-WDW Poly=Food and Wine/Halloween
2010-Carnival Legend
2011-Carnival Glory
2012: Long weekend in NYC, Labor Day in Las Vegas
2013: Art of Animation Cars Suite

We've been Boo'd by the food review Queen!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #39
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I had ten TS meals on our last trip, granted, some were buffets, but we never ordered dessert, or were asked what we wanted for dessert, until after we had finished our entrees.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #40
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyN View Post
If there is a special dessert that needs to be prepared in advance it is customary to notify the kitchen. What comes to mind is a souffle or a baked alaska--neither of which I've seen on a Disney menu.

Prix fixe meals sometimes ask this too, or where there are special tasting menus, but Disney doesn't do this either.

Maybe they were very busy, or were running low on something. Perhaps they have to guests out the door and turn the tables over faster.
I have had that happen at the California Grill, but she brought out the dessert menu while I was eating the entree, explaining that two of the desserts took a little longer to prepare.

And some Disney restaurants do have souffles.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #41
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyJack View Post
Maybe a little off topic, but I have a question. We will be there in January on the DDP. WHY does the server need to know your (our) method of payment before the meal is ordered? Having waited tables in the past, payment type doesn't matter until the ticket is being closed out, at which point you can swipe gift cards/credit cards, apply cash or gift certificates/traveler's cheques?? I know some might say, so they can tell you what's included, etc. My feeling is that should a guest already know what is included in the DDP the source of payment shouldn't matter to the server. I just don't want to be shelling out thousands of dollars for this dream vacation only to receive sub par service at restaurants we've been looking forward to for 180 days only because we are on the dining plan.

They ask about the dining plan because they may have to talk to you about how it works, and whether there are items that are excluded or have surcharges (there are not many of these). A lot of guests end up not having any idea how DDP works. If they're left to figure it out, the table doesn't get turned. And the server apparently has to be prepared for the way it's rung up. This is why they check right away; to see if the table has some people who are on the dining plan, and some who are not. Dining plan orders are not rung up with non-dining plan orders. And you can't assume that everybody at the table will be paying the same way.

Also, if the table wants to order any off-plan items, like alcoholic beverages, these have to be rung up separately.

There was speculation that if you were getting subpar service while on the dining plan, it may have been because the tip is included. In 2008 that is not a factor since the tip won't be included anymore (unless you're a party of 6 or more which will get an automatic gratuity added).

They don't ask how you're paying. They only ask about the dining plan. I've never been asked ahead of time for my DDE card, or whether I'd be paying cash or credit, because these items are rung up AFTER the meal.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #42
BrianD
DIS Veteran

Alas, yet another reason we will never use the DDP.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #43
melomouse
DIS Veteran

Gosh - so much defensiveness!

Get a manager because the server wants to take the entire order at once? How about simply saying -"We know the deal with DDP, but we need to give you each course order separately"?

This issue has come up here before. It's easier for the servers with DDP guests to put all the orders in, as TDCNala has suggested.

Last August, every TS server for 10 days tried to explain the DDP and take the appy, entree and dessert order at once. Shook my head, smiled and said, "Sorry - we need to tell you as we go!" If this had bothered me, I would have mentioned it in my dining reviews. It did not.

Why get all mad and anxious if it hasn't happened to you yet?

Going For the Magic Since 2001!

Back Home -
AKL Jambo - 8/18-8/22 & BWV 8/22-826
BLT - 8/20 - 8/27 & WLV 8/31-9/2
AKL - Jambo & BLT - 16th!! - 1/7 - 1/12
AKV - Jambo - 8/15-8/22
AKV - Kidani - 1/17-1/22
AKV - 8/16-8/22
WLV - 8/22-8/24
Old 12-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #44
crystalcml
TARGET FIELD 2010! Breathtaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvamouse View Post
We were not on the DDP. I wonder if that affected it? It was very busy for some of our TS's-- Thanksgiving week. Never asked us ahead.
We were on the DDP so I thought that may have had something to do with it. Maybe it's because they were really busy.
My little brother, Twins Hall of Famer Tony Oliva and Me!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #45
disneyfav4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Alas, yet another reason we will never use the DDP.
Don't knock it till you've tried it. This never happened to me while using the DDP, and we had excellant servers the whole trip, who never asked for our dessert with the rest of the orders.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: