Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
3csluvthemouse
Mouseketeer

So what is the deal with servers wanting your entire order?

Why are servers at Disney asking patrons to order everything at once (app, meal, dessert)? Sometimes I do not know what I want for dessert at the beginning of my meal. This really bothers me, and I had a server get quite rude about it when I changed my mind about what I wanted. She first came to the table and said, "This is how we are going to do this" and proceeded to tell us she wanted the entire order. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

9 nights, 1/2 dozen TS and not once did we experience this. We made changes at all different points, asked for items off menu and vegetarian when none were available and got only great responses. Never pushed to do order all at once and never hurried. Sorry.
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
tmws66
Mouseketeer

Never had that happen. Was wondering what restaurant you experienced this in.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
duffy
The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote it myself.

What's to prevent me from just saying, "I don't know yet what I want for my dessert. May I wait until I'm done with my meal to order it?"
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
crystalcml
TARGET FIELD 2010! Breathtaking!

Were you on the dining plan?

We were there in Sept and at every single TS meal they asked us the same thing. Half the time I never knew what I wanted for an appetizer let alone my whole meal. I thought it was very strange. At one point, we thought it was because they were really busy at that time.
My little brother, Twins Hall of Famer Tony Oliva and Me!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

We were not on the DDP. I wonder if that affected it? It was very busy for some of our TS's-- Thanksgiving week. Never asked us ahead.
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

DH and I just returned from a mini-vacation to Las Vegas where we ate at several of the high end restaurants. We were asked to order all at once also. This was something new that didn't happen to us last year when we were there. However, it was very crowded in Las Vegas so I'm wondering if this is becoming more standard at busier places?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Booyakasha
DIS Veteran

When it is very busy or a kitchen is way behind it makes it easier on the kitchen if they know what everyone is ordering as soon as possible. This allows them (unfortunately) to prepare things en masse and have cooks working a dish or two instead of many. This is usually not a good thing and food qualtity can suffer. It also allows them to prepare things is advance which is obviously not a good thing either

B.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
LindyN
DIS Veteran

If there is a special dessert that needs to be prepared in advance it is customary to notify the kitchen. What comes to mind is a souffle or a baked alaska--neither of which I've seen on a Disney menu.

Prix fixe meals sometimes ask this too, or where there are special tasting menus, but Disney doesn't do this either.

Maybe they were very busy, or were running low on something. Perhaps they have to guests out the door and turn the tables over faster.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
wildernesslodgelover
LOTW charter member!
Of course if they *did* start serving alcohol at MK, I would be first in line, but it doesn't rent space in my head or anything

That has never happened to me at WDW, but it happened at an upscale place just recently. It was a girl's night out, there were four of us, and we ordered drinks and 3 apps to share. The waiter then said, "We like to take the entire order at once, what will you be having for dinner?" Well, we didn't know what we would want for dinner, or even if we would order entrees, more apps, whatever. I want to stress that this is not only a "restaurant" but a jazz lounge type place. We were seated outside, some people only go there for drinks. It was just weird.

I would also like to know what restaurant and if the diner was on the DDP. Of course at V&A's, you order all at once, but then again, you are paying a fixed price. If you were indeed on the DDP and paying a set price for app, entree and dessert, I wouldn't think it was very odd or rude, although you should be able to decide later, it just makes sense.
trying to stay at every resort at least once! only AS, CBR, Poly and GF left!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Steffiesunshine
I wish I could ride the TTA everyday!

Which restaurant?

I wonder if it was one of the more popular, which requires ADRs. It likely is just a way for them to speed up the table turnover.

I read in one of the posts that they actually reserve "times" not tables. So if people linger, it throws off their schedule.

This way, they bring out the app and they hope that as soon as you are done with it, the entree will be ready, then the dessert. It speeds up your meal, and allows them to seat everyone.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

If this is a trend, the trend is not going to work well.

I do not know what I want for dessert and I want a more leisurely meal too. I want to order my appy, then my meal and will think about dessert.

Anywhere we go that wants my full order had better be when I am sitting in my car and talking into a clown's mouth

Otherwise, it will be at my pace
Old 12-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
Booyakasha
DIS Veteran

I think the thing to remember is that this is your dinner. If you don't want to order all at once don't. Keeping in mind that a restaurant needs to turn tables and has other reservations behind yours.

If the restaurant is empty which doesn't happen all to often in DW than sit at the table all night if you like. It is your money.

B.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Simple: if you can get the party to order all at once, you can turn the table faster. The faster you turn tables, the more likely you get an extra service in during the meal---and that means more money for the house and the server.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
simonkodousek
438 Miles From My Happy Place

I think this only happens when the kitchen is behind, because when we were at the Polynesian in July, that never happened to us. Besides, when paying so much for each meal, I would expect good service.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: